Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

No sense of right or wrong.

Waci posted:

Dildomancer how much do you usually charge for, for example, a glow-in-the-dark elf cock?

My typical prices were ten cents per CC, minus $5. So if it's a human-proportioned cock of 250cc (4cm wide, 20cm long), I would charge $20. My cost in parts would be $8 in silicone and a few cents in pigment/mica/packing tape.

If it's a brand new toy, I would charge more due to the cost of making the model and the mold. Again, for something human sized and without balls, hmm... The model + mold would be about 600cc, so I'd charge the initial $20 plus 600cc at cost ($15), which comes out to $35 for the whole kit and caboodle. Most dildo manufacturers are MUCH more expensive, though. Don't expect to get a custom toy without spending $100+.

Gibbo posted:

Please share your fanfic explaining just why Legolas ended up covered in radioactive sludge.

A wizard did it. A wizard who was afraid of the dark and spent his nights with his elven manservant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Doc Sportello posted:

Hey man, this is all absolutely fascinating. Thanks for writing it all out so well, too. Is there some throwaway email or something I can contact you at? I've got a few questions and looks like neither of us have platinum for our parachutes.

You could hit up the Guerrilamail I used to post in the Anonymous Confessions thread; might work. nylgxejk@sharklasers.com And thanks!

Fauxtool posted:

$35 seems way too cheap for a one off custom design. How did you settle on that price? Did you not think you could get away with charging more?

It is dirt cheap, yeah. And I used to sell all my toys at cost, too. I didn't make dildos to get rich, even though the opportunity was there; I did it because I enjoyed the hobby and enjoyed making new designs and making people happy. I guess I still enjoy it, too. I'd totally make some hosed-up elf dick for y'all.

Where the hell did Elise the Great go? I need dimensions...

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Oh boy, I'm excited now :D

Balls do count as a flared base. They're offset from the center of the toy, which means the mold's more expensive, but if it's for a good cause...

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Manuel Calavera posted:

Seconding this. Goddamn. Customs at other places are indeed hella expensive. Do you have a webstore or gallery anywhere, Mancer of Dildonics?

Being cheap got me way more customers than I could handle. I probably could've been an effective (and profitable) one-man business by charging twice or three times what I did.

I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing my gallery or store, sorry. You guys have all been super welcoming and I appreciate that. I just don't want any Helldumpers going doxx-crazy, harassing my friends, telling my customers the stuff I've been posting here...

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

elise the great posted:

I thought way the gently caress too much about this. I consulted the LACE about this. gently caress every last one of you for goading me into this nightmare of grisly overanalytic humiliation. I hope all your girlfriends catch you.

If we assume that elves are as susceptible to ischemia as humans are, does this produce the danger of penile necrosis if the physical act lasts longer than a certain amount of time? Asking for a friend...

Also, I'm still waiting on a concept for scrotal anatomy. Shall we assume that elves possess a lower metabolic rate and thus a lower core temperature than humans? If so, could we be talking about internal testes here?

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

I'll tell you what - I'll make this elf dilz for free if someone gets this account plat and an appropriate custom title. I want to use PMs like a civilized goon... and then yes, I can share some appropriate links with an interested party in private.

I will gather up the appropriate information this weekend and start on the clay sculpture. If anyone wants to do a mock-up in some 3D modeling program, that'll provide us with something to discuss and critique in the meantime. Now who gets the silicone dong itself is an open question. It'd probably go to whoever bought plat and the title. I think Elise deserves one as well.

Waci posted:

Not if it has the cock ring!

Dildomancer, can you make one with and one without? Start a crowdfunding campaign for it or something.

Elise, you're an international treasure.

It wouldn't be super hard to do that; I could just revise the model after making the mold and re-mold it. We'd have to wait and see how it goes over to begin with.

Making the whole thing will only cost me $40 or so (and a few hours of my life I'll never get back), so it's hardly worth crowdfunding. There used to be a site just for crowdfunding adult stuff (Offbeatr) but I don't think it's still solvent.

Manuel Calavera posted:

What was the biggest thing you've made? And did you get any feedback?

Biggest by length: a 5' x 1.5" tentacle - customer managed to take at least half; all tentacles made since have been 3' or shorter.
Biggest by width: a 6.1" diameter (over 19" circumference) egg with a robust cord sticking out one end - customer's eyes were bigger than their butt and they regretted their hubris.
Biggest by volume: a huge spiny cock - customer took on the first go and pondered commissioning a bigger one.

Here are some pictures of the three:

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Shadowbag posted:

Well, that's the second part handled. Maybe some day I'll be smart enough to figure out how to give someone else plat, because apparently I need your email to do that.

It's gorgeous, thanks!

DroneRiff posted:

Gift Cert for Plat sent to the email you posted earlier

This one didn't come through, though. Did you send it to khrazxmg@sharklasers.com ? If not, I think you can forward it there. Maybe Guerillamail just sucks. Anyway, thank you! Even if we can't get plat sorted, I'm down for making the toy.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm still kind of amazed that this thread hasn't commented more on the fact that he made a dildo for his mom.

I mean moms are people to but holy poo poo it's got to be awkward making a sex toy for yours.

There's a story behind that; I'll tell it in a bit.

For the rest of you, all lookin' for elf dongs when they're done, I'll see what I can do. I don't intend to mass-produce these things, but a dozen or two wouldn't be a big deal. Just make sure to check and double-check the dimensions when the time comes. I've had several customers get their toys in and go, "oh... so THAT's what an eight-inch schlong looks like. I may have underestimated."

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

DroneRiff posted:

Have forwarded it on and hopefully will get through. Doing my part to help make the elf dicks happen.

Got it! Thank you again :D

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Ok, so here's the deal with me making a dong for my mom. First off, you need to see the thing, because it's adorable:

My brother was the first in my family to find out about the hobby because we chat and hang out. He later ordered a huge purple glow-in-the-dark dong from me as a gag gift for a yankee swap. He is pretty good at keeping secrets and thank goodness my dad and sister don't know about the hobby because they're uptight, to say the least.

Months later, my mom asked if she could visit my apartment. I did my best to explain why that was not a good idea. Here is an excerpt from the chatlog:

:ohdear: There are naughty things everywhere
:sun: Naughty?
:ohdear: Yup
:sun: such as...
:ohdear: I have a very not-work-safe hobby. Nothing illegal
:sun: and what is that
-Long pause. Note that I am not going to lie to my mom about anything.-
:ohdear: I make custom sex toys
:sun: COOL!!!!!!!

So after a bunch more questions, the conversation was finished and I spent some time pondering the possible effects of my hobby on family reunions.

Christmas was approaching. Every Christmas, in addition to the typical purchased presents, I make handmade gifts for my family: candies, ornaments, photo albums, that kind of thing. Well anyway, my mom IMed me to talk about presents.

:ohdearsass: Your photo book should be getting to me soon, so I can re-ship to you. Sure you don't want anything else?
:sun: one of your handmade toys?
:ohdearsass: oh jeez
:sun: Amazon gift card always good, too. But handmade is my favorite.

I was kind of stunned, so of course I made my embarrassment public and asked Tumblr what I should do. The consensus was, "what are you going to do, refuse to give her what she asked for? Get over it you wuss." So I made the eel pictured above, and she got it along with her photo book. She was very happy with how it turned out.

:sun: Love the eel! I like the way the colors look like real fish skin
:ohdearsass: Yeah, it was fun to make.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Shadowbag posted:

Who do I throw money at to give Elise an elf dongle and a dramatic reading of her schlong essay? I have too much money and not enough common sense so this sounds like the best idea to me. :downs:

She gets the first one out of the mold for free if she wants it. Gotta figure out what to do about shipping costs. Shipping a typical dong within the US is $5-12 depending on distance. Overseas is $15-25 depending on where it's going.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

WombatCyborg posted:

Has anyone ever asked you to make a toy as a vac-u-lock attatchment?

People have asked about it, but nobody has ever commissioned one. It would be very easy: I'd just have to stick the stub into the toy as it cured. Ultimately, though, I don't know whether that would be infringing on a copyright, so I'd be reluctant to do it.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Thanks to everyone who's enjoying the thread! People like you are what makes the hobby worthwhile.

RandomPauI posted:

Is there a market for horror movie inspired sex toys?

Yes! Someone commissioned a cock with a zombie color scheme. Pallid green, streaks of blood. No fully custom horror-themed toys, though. But basically, if it exists, someone would buy a dildo of it.

Geirskogul posted:

Are they flexible enough to fold into a medium flat rate box? Or is it more like parcel select?

The flat rate boxes aren't the right size/shape for dildos. Really flexible ones might be squished down, but I've always found it easier (and often cheaper) just to fold them into a 4", 5", or 6" cube box. You can fit a LOT of dicks into a 6" cube if they're soft silicone.

And pre-empting the inevitable question, the most I've mailed was about a dozen dildos at once. I had to break some bigger boxes apart and make one giant cobbled-together frankenbox wrapped in enough packing tape to give it structural stability. It looked like a dildo-loaded claymore mine ready to launch phallic doom at whoever dared to mishandle it.

kaschei posted:

This is the first I've heard of a dong for tentacle sounding JRRT fetishists.

Deluxe version should have embedded swarovski silmaril.

OH, that reminds me: I have made sounding toys, too. They weren't intended as such, but with enough lube and a suitably intrepid customer... well, I'll leave it at that.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

honda whisperer posted:

Dozen franken box for one customer... Group buy? If it was one customer was it a themed purchase or a sampler?

So many questions.

It was a single order from a single customer. There is such a thing as a dildo collector, and they don't necessarily use or resell the toys. There are pictures out there of another collector in a bathtub literally filled with toys.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

kaschei posted:

But this would be a, uh, sounding "penetrable" if I read Elise's post correctly? Surely that's a first?

No, though that would be a unique class of toys. I don't think silicone is very good for sounding in general; sounds are typically made of rigid materials like metal. These were just small firmness samples, chunks of silicone about the size of gummi bears.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Ok, so let's talk details and dimensions. 8" usable length, 1.25" wide at the head, 2" wide at the base, balls are smaller and less dangly than a human's but have some small vestigial tentacles. From a usability perspective, it'd be better if the testes were on the top of the shaft kangaroo-style (or, analogously, if the shaft curved downward) because then you'd get some bonus clitoral stimulation from the tentacles. Balls are wrinkly and hairless (if we made a dwarf cock you wouldn't be able to see them through the hair). Shaft and glans have clefts leading toward the meatus. Perhaps some circumferential trenches around the base from past couplings, if you folks think that's a good idea. Alternatively, I can put on a forest-themed cockring. Glans would be blunter than a human's, perhaps inverted near the tip like a caldera.

Elise, if you aren't in a drunken coma or out hiding in the wilderness at the moment, let me know if this is a good description. Everyone else is welcome to comment as well.

For making the clay model, I typically do it in three stages: "roughing out" the general shape and size, smoothing and trimming to get it to the final dimensions, and finally adding detail and texture. How long these will each take depends on how motivated I'm feeling and the availability of good reference pictures. I will take photos at each of these three milestones for the thread. In the meantime, I'll hit up one of the mods here to ask if I can post NWS pics inline or if I should keep up with the spoiler tags.

WombatCyborg posted:

Yeah, the process for the dongers I get, just trying to wrap my head around how you make a hollow item and remove it from the model without splitting it at all if that makes sense.

The mold and the toy are both very squishy. The release agent prevents them from chemically bonding, and then it just takes a little tugging to pull it free. If things are looking really dire, you can cut a slit down the side of the mold to make the extraction simpler.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

jetz0r posted:

Not at all exclusive. I was just pointing out that the requirements from each side point towards a shape that's already in use to deal with similar problems.

The purpose of a knot isn't so much because the male can't thrust, though; it's to keep the pair (mostly the female) from separating while the sperm have time to do their thing.

From a dildo perspective, a knot would add a target, so to speak: stretch until you can take it, and when you do, good job, you're at the base of the toy. The additional width is very satisfying to some. It also helps the toy stay crammed in an orifice while your body involuntarily tries to push it out. There are also disadvantages. The additional width means you're limiting the number of people who can comfortably use it (called "taking the knot"). If you CAN take it, but not by much, you probably won't want to ram it in and out, so you're severely limiting your usable length. You need to put a neck behind the knot to keep it comfortable, which produces a certain minimum length for the toy. And, of course, it uses more silicone and thus costs more.

So here's my proposal: since it fits the design, thematically, I will add one, but it'll just be a gentle taper of the shaft to a 2" diameter as previously discussed, then a reduction to 1.5" or so over the next two inches toward the base, and finally a 1.5-inch-wide neck below that (with constriction channels). This maintains the usability of the toy, adds a soft target, and better matches the canon.

Viewed from above:

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Waci posted:

Maybe something like in hyenas?

If that were the case, we could expect a significant portion of elleth to die in childbirth.

You know, Elise, if there's elven magic involved, Anything is possible. There could be symbiotic plant or fungal cells inside those tentacles, granting some manner of prehensile control over them, while the male antibody set precludes colonization of otherwise prehensile tissues. Perhaps, like cordyceps, this endosymbiont can also exert some control over the elves' CNS, forcing them to remain in sylvatic biomes. Spores, like mitochondria, are passed maternally.

Does it make those pussy tentacles any less creepy when you consider they may be full of mycelia, squirming and writhing to ensure their own reproductive success?

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Most of the clay dildo models I make have a skeleton inside. This serves three purposes: to provide a rigid base to work off, to reduce the amount of Sculpey needed, and to allow it to bake evenly. There's no one material that makes a universally good skeleton.

Wooden dowel: Cheap, easy to attach to whatever you're using for the base, can be trimmed down as needed with a sharp knife. However, cannot be bent, does not adhere well to Sculpey, and does not conduct heat well.
Metal rod: Can be bent into shape easily, cheap, excellent heat conductor. However, cannot be trimmed once it is in place, more difficult to connect to the base, and does not adhere well to Sculpey.
PVC pipe: Big (replaces a lot of Sculpey), easy to attach, extremely sturdy, adheres well to Sculpey. However, expensive, cannot be trimmed once it is in place, and cannot be heated to Sculpey's recommended 265 F. Use 240 F and cook for longer.
Aluminum foil: Cheap, easy to shape and reshape, adheres decently well, conducts heat very well. However, does not hold its shape well, hurts your fingers, and is not as much fun to chew on.

For this toy, I tried something new. We'll see how it works. Behold, the skeleton!

3x 12Ga speaker wire taped into a wide bundle for the shaft, 2x dense balls of foil for the acorns, and half a square foot of foil to bind everything together. Half the fun of this hobby is trying new things out to see what works.

On to the roughing out~

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Roughing out is complete, and not a moment too soon: kneading a pound of Sculpey fresh out of the box is murder on your hands.

This was an additive process, basically winding coils of Sculpey around the skeleton until you have an annelid-textured product larger than the final toy needs to be. The next stage (carving down to final size) I'll do tomorrow when the clay's cooled down a bit and regained some of its stiffness. For now, here's what we've got.

The lines on the green cutting pad in the background are at 1/2" intervals if you are looking for a scale reference.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Now that I'm carving it down, lol this is a tiny penis head. I guess if there's no adultery, there's no cockhead to plunge out sperm, and there's really no need for ellyn to have a nexus of sensory nerves in the Elise Canon. Still perfectly functional, though.

While I'm doing the boring stuff, here is another dong I made. This particular design was deemed to be fantastic for vaginal stimulation by those who used it.

Though it's difficult to see (white on white), there's a conical bump about halfway down that, along with the nubs above it, seems to be the most popular feature.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Alright, the clay model is in its approximate final shape. Dimensions are good, proportions are good, the curve looks delicious. Now is the final chance to offer feedback before I go on with the final smoothing, adding those tentacle-guiding grooves, detailing the meatus, the acorns, the vestigial tentacles...

Interesting story: I lost my original wedding ring inside a clay dildo model. I know which one, too. It was only $100 and my wife's pretty understanding, so it'll probably stay in there for the rest of eternity.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Geirskogul posted:

You're married?

Why buy the cow etc.

Also, looking really good.

Hey, I got married years before I started making dildos. The unlimited supply of free dicks is more of a fringe benefit.

A note on clay: it is vulnerable to slump. That is, before it's baked, it will slowly deform. This dong is curved and therefore experiences a lot of internal stress near the base and the center of the curve. If left alone a few days, deep cracks will form and the toy will break into a few ragged chunks. Without the metal skeleton inside, it wouldn't have even withstood the initial steps of the building process without breaking. This is due to tension on the outside of the bend (extrados) pulling the clay apart. It's much stronger in compression than tension, so the compression on the inside of the bend (intrados) isn't really a problem. As soon as a tiny crack forms, whether due to a concentration of stress on the outer skin or a defect in the additive manufacturing process, it will quickly widen until the toy collapses.

In industrial engineering, there are ways to mitigate this situation. My favorite is called laser peening - you shoot pulses of high-powered laser energy at the portions in tension, which vaporize a tiny portion of the material, causing a miniature explosion. That explosion permanently deforms the base material and adds a local residual compression that (partially or wholly) counterbalances the tension inherent in the product's design. If you operate such a tool, you become a laser peen0r.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

sbaldrick posted:

Sure it's in the clay one

Yeah, silicone's only slightly denser than water (SG 1.07) and anything denser than that will sink into it. My ring is (was?) SG 15.6. The result would've been a dildo with a very obvious wedding ring embedded just below the surface at its tip. Romantic, non?

If you're looking for a way to propose....

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Not even Elise could have predicted how terrifying and appealing this puntl would turn out. It's got layer upon layer of bizarre sexuality and functional adaptations that hint at the horrors of elven reproduction.

The clay is ready. A bit more smoothing of some of the more delicate parts is in order, but the toy is essentially complete. Let's take a look.

The cockhead is intended to allow easy penetration and guide the tentacle to its target. The end result resembles an anus, or perhaps some kind of leech.

I turned the balls into acorns as suggested. When you put a pair of them together, especially in this context, they look like breasts. Maybe something to distract your gaze so you don't spend too long staring at the cockhead.

Vestigial scrotacles! They turned out cuter than expected, probably because one's first impression when thinking of tentacles is "suction cups." Seen just above them, and in the next picture...

... are grooves around the base of the shaft for those female appendages to restrict venous return and produce an erection.

The grooves continue up the shaft for guidance.

Here is the beast in its entirety. It is one of the strangest-looking things I've ever made, just from a visual perspective, and the concept behind it is... well, it's kind of insane, but in a good way, I guess. Anyway, I'll bake it tomorrow. For now, I'm drifting off to face my Ellyn-related nightmares.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Geirskogul posted:

This, yes. Definitely getting one if/when available. Also :pcgaming: color options? Or do you have that set?

E: I was thinking the cap, too, but this is almost like extra-vestigial (?) tentacles.

I can make pretty much any color in the RGB colorspace, at least to within a good approximation, with the 10 different pigments I have. I have a decent variety of fluorescent pigments as well. It's also possible to do sparkly or glow-in-the-dark (though I'd need to order some more materials in the latter case).

Then I could also do stripes, splits, fades, split fades, spirals, marbles, vertical splits, ribbons, all kinds of ridiculous poo poo. I think my favorite effect is a nearly transparent dong filled with little bits of fluorescent silicone.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

By the way, if anyone has second thoughts about the acorn-balls, let me know. I can still change them tomorrow if needed.

kaschei posted:

Do you have any pics of that last type?

How transparent can silicone get, anyway?

The kind I use is moderately opaque. It looks like this:

There are more transparent kinds, but they are either not body-safe or are a pain in the rear end to use. So when I say "nearly transparent" I mean kind of milky like that egg.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

I don't need to know whether you're going to use it or not. What happens with it once it comes out of the box is completely up to you.

So here's my proposal: remove the pointy bits and the cap from the testes, reorient them so the point is facing downwards (away from the shaft in other words), add some more tentacles and wrinkles. That would take an hour or two. Is anyone dead-set on the acorns remaining, or can I go ahead with this?

As for how it's done so quickly, the hard part is really the second step where you cut it down to the right size. That's the step that needs to be precise. Everything after that is art, and you just attack the clay with smaller and smaller tools (:laugh:).

Oh, and for PayPal, we can arrange that stuff through notes when the time comes. I lacked the foresight to make an independent PayPal account for dongs, so it's under my real name, and I'd rather not post it publicly.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Carth Dookie posted:

You're the artist. Go with what your heart tells you.

My heart was telling me all along "this looks ridiculous, but it's what the thread wants..." I am happy to redo the balls. And I felt like I had a great technique for scrotal wrinkles going, too, so I'll get to put in more of those :D

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Carth Dookie posted:

That's kind of what I was thinking the "cap" of the acorn could be, the scrote wrinkles:

But I don't know how that'd look with the tentacles and other stuff.

Ahh, there's the issue: the acorns here don't look like that. We have mostly red oak and white oak, and their caps are pretty flat; not at all an appropriate shape for balls.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

OK, the balls have been redone. Rotating them has offered another precious half-inch of usable length. I put in dimples in the appropriate spots to match the acorn motif, but much more subtly this time, and the tentacles are more numerous.

Baking for 40 minutes at 240 degrees, then I'll let it cool slooooowly with the oven door closed to prevent cracking.

literally a fish posted:

Did you ever suspect this hobby would lead to you crowdsourcing an elf cock, Dildomancer?

I was going to add my voice to the chorus on making the balls look less like tits, but it looks like we're already there - can't wait to see what you come up with! :sun:

Elf cock? Not specifically, but the idea of crowdsourcing dongs has come up many times in the past years. In the end (lol), I'm happy to make custom designs for next to nothing even if people don't want to subsidize them. And there was one event that made me extremely reluctant to crowdsource anything.

I put a tip jar on my Tumblr page where people could toss in a couple bucks if shipping turned out to be more expensive than estimated or they were super happy with the final design, and I got attacked for "demanding donations despite being a professional manufacturer." Ignoring the facts that I never asked for donations and I'm not remotely a professional manufacturer, the crowdsourcing idea would've brought even more hate since I'd be actually asking people for money. Tip jar's still there though because gently caress them, it's useful.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if people are straight-up offering me cash, I'm not going to say no. Just please don't feel like I'm begging for money and don't feel pressured to do so. My day job pays well, this is just a hobby, I'm not looking to get rich off a dollar here or there. If you are really interested in tossing a few bucks my way, shoot me a PM here or an email at vfjzxxzt@sharklasers.com

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

The puntl has survived its oven adventure, and now it's time to make a mold. Since I don't have a lot of silicone left (no real reason to keep any around), I'll be making the mold out of softer silicone than I normally prefer. Whatevs, should still work fine.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Faerunner posted:

Oh my god, I forget to check this thread for one day and there's a fully formed model already and it is more glorious than anything I could have ever imagined. This is the most exciting thread I've read all year.

It's more than just a model, in fact. The mold is curing in the kitchen. I'm going to cut it open tomorrow after work and, with a little luck, take some good pictures to share. The unusual shape meant that my normal mold-making techniques weren't effective, and I had to use a good deal of silicone: about 2.5 liters. Even then, the whole kit and caboodle (model + mold) was only ~$60 in parts.

Here is an important question for those of you looking to buy one: what firmness silicone should I get for them? Right now, I have A10 (medium), which should hold its shape and stand up well, and 00-20 (super soft), which will flop about as flaccidly as any unconstricted elf dingle. I could buy some A20 (firm) or 00-50 (soft), but the silicone only comes in 2-gallon sizes, which cost $200. I am thinking I'll stick with A10 for the time being since I've got enough to make a few dongs, and if demand is high for other firmnesses, I can grab a bucket of something else.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Here is the finished mold (with an accidental rainbow color scheme). I make all my molds different colors because otherwise, they all look about the same. You can see the clay/foil model is still inside; I'll remove it this evening and measure it via water displacement. Then come several coats of release agent to ensure the dong won't stick to the mold.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I bet there's a lot more people with brilliant dildo talents out there; most of them just never considered the hobby.

Grape Soda posted:

This is amazing.

How are dual density dildos made? Tantus and several other mainstream silicone toy companies make ones where the outer layer is soft and squishy surrounded by a harder internal core.

I made a video about that yesterday :D

https://vimeo.com/album/4072478/video/180501541

There is a similar technique called a "highlight" where you fill a mold with one color silicone, let it partially harden, dump it out, and refill with another color. That technique could also be used for cores.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

The model was successfully extracted from the mold, which came out perfectly! Look how happy it is to meet you all:

You can see that the tentacles have a lot of fine detail and may not come out perfectly in the final dong, but that's always a risk when dealing with little delicate bits. I'm not too worried, though, because careful pouring can largely mitigate that risk. After a few coats of release agent, I'll be ready to pour the very first puntl (or whatever else we choose to call it). It goes to Elise, so she gets to pick the color scheme. For now, assume any kind of color scheme is doable and I'll be sure to tell you if something's not possible.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

elise the great posted:

Oh holy poo poo that's a major decision right there. I love the idea of fluorescence, I actually thought the ribbony texture you posted in the first post was lovely, the idea of sparkly swirls in bizarre colors is delightful, and translucence adds that certain je maid said quoi.

The only hell-naw I got is realistic skintone, because I would be unable to touch it without gloving up, for psychological reasons. Which would hamper my wooble-whallopping plans. Now, realistic but kinda translucent skintone with sparkly and/or fluorescent ribbons of eye-searing Barney the Dinosaur purple? That crosses right back into the right type of horror.

White pearl with a turquoise tinge? PURE GOLD, as my husband suggests? Glow-in-the-dark Glamdring blue? I leave this decision in the hands of Dildomancer, a true artist of the craft.

(I still can't wrap my head around this. WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING. I told my coworkers and Dr. Pug the intensivist insists on getting a photograph with it.)

Hmmmm... I'll just go nuts and see what happens. You can always decide to turn down the result and specify something else.

Edit: If you (or anyone else, for theirs) are sure it won't be going in any orifices, I can do something really cool: add in some granules that make it look just like granite.

Also, just measured it: 550cc! That's pretty darn big for a toy, and that means I'd charge $50 each at my normal rate. But I guess the special goon rate will be $20.

Dildomancer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 29, 2016

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

I've got the color scheme figured out and it's different from anything suggested.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So you will only make 2k rather than 5k, is what you are saying here.

Well, it's pretty much at cost, so I'll make $0.

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of want to order one of these for my girlfriend but I have no idea how I would get it delivered inconspicuously.

E: or if it would make it through customs.

Inconspicuous brown box, and customs doesn't give a poo poo (at least for western Europe, Australia, Canada...). But she might not be your girlfriend anymore after she opens it.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

There is mica EVERYWHERE. I look like a Mormon vampire.

Should finish curing before I go to bed tonight, and I'll post a picture or two then.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Mild spoilers:

Cleanup is going to be a bitch. Elise's sponge bath instincts are already kicking in and she finds herself compulsively drawn eastward...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Crasical posted:

Hey, Dildomancer, what got you into the Donger Biz in the first place?

You've sort of given the impression that you don't care for or use your creations yourself, and I doubt anyone would look at the artisanal silicone fantasy dildo market and go 'Aha! An untapped goldmine!' at first blush.

What made you pick it up as a hobby?

I used to go to FetLife classes from time to time for hobbies like leatherworking. One of the classes was on dildos and vibrators, and I said, "sure, why not?" The instructor was a beginner but had a lot of good insight and tips. I've done an awful lot of hobbies in the past (origami, models, sewing, train sets, photography, coin collecting, pretty much anything) and decided, what the heck, can't be too expensive to try this.

Unlike magnetic sculptures, rock collecting, and critterquesting, it turns out that people get VERY interested when you start making cocks.

• Locked thread