Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno, spore didn't suck because it relied on procedural generation, it sucked because it was 5 minigames strung around an okay species/building/spaceship designer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno, spore didn't suck because it relied on procedural generation, it sucked because it was 5 minigames strung around an okay species/building/spaceship designer

i liked the first couple of levels, it got real poo poo after that though

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
more like pokemon mystery dungeon!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why do people get so excited about the exploration of randomly generated places

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

the problem with video games is that they end, and reality creeps back in

one day, someone will make a fully-immersive procedurally-generated video-game with infinite content and I can leave reality forever

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's trying to simulate the experience of discovering worlds dude.

You know that "born too late to do x, born too soon to do y" meme? Its an attempt to fix that

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

it's Star Trek : the Solo Mission.

so far, it's good. sorry, Sam, I didn't wind up buying it for you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

amusinginquiry posted:

the problem with video games is that they end, and reality creeps back in

one day, someone will make a fully-immersive procedurally-generated video-game with infinite content and I can leave reality forever

Actually they did and you're in one right now. You sprung for the memory rewrite package to make it even more immersive.

Having fun yet?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

hemophilia posted:

It's trying to simulate the experience of discovering worlds dude.

You know that "born too late to do x, born too soon to do y" meme? Its an attempt to fix that

But you can discover great world's with actual levels, like playing Dark Souls for example.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ive never wanted to play less video games more in my life

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

rebel galaxy is starting to get really hard really fast but it's still a lot of fun

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
If it's free I'll tell my boy to download it

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

King of Bees posted:

If it's free I'll tell my boy to download it

its the free game from ps plus this month

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Celluloid Sam posted:

its the free game from ps plus this month

Cool. On it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

sid's a good guy and he's usually pretty trustworthy but there's something mighty shifty about the lengths he's going to to pimp rebel galaxy

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Is celluloid Sam suicide Sam e

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

MG3 posted:

Is celluloid Sam suicide Sam e

god no im sid vicious

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have Rebel galaxy. It's not good. It's boring. The story is lame, but ok maybe the story isn't the draw maybe you want mechanics??? The mechanics are poo poo. It's a lovely game. If you want to play rebel galaxy, purchase download world of warships (free) and pretend you're in space, or purchase and download assassin's creed black flag and pretend you're in space, because that's the combat, but worse somehow.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hemophilia posted:

I have Rebel galaxy. It's not good. It's boring. The story is lame, but ok maybe the story isn't the draw maybe you want mechanics??? The mechanics are poo poo. It's a lovely game. If you want to play rebel galaxy, download world of warships and pretend you're in space, or download assassin's creed black flag and pretend you're in space, because that's the combat, but worse somehow.

its sad when people have no imagination drat this future we live in

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
get mount and blade warband and pretend your horse is a spaceship

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

paul_soccer10 posted:

Literally a better option than playing rebel galaxy

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

paul_soccer10 posted:

Ride my penis and pretend it's a spaceship (spacedick if you will)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Celluloid Sam posted:

its sad when people have no imagination drat this future we live in

sid it aint good but if you enjoy yourself that's all that matters.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Tacorleone posted:

Ride my penis and pretend it's a spaceship (spacedick if you will)

whats ur stteam

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Buy me Woman's sky and a PlayStation thanks

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Celluloid Sam posted:

rebel galaxy is starting to get really hard really fast but it's still a lot of fun

I feel like I'm stuck grinding "defend/kill X" missions who all kind of look the same. Does it get any better ? Ships are so expensive too! You would need to grind for hours to get one. Maybe there's more $$$ further in ? This starts making Fallout 4 look like a masterpiece

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Decebal posted:

I feel like I'm stuck grinding "defend/kill X" missions who all kind of look the same. Does it get any better ? Ships are so expensive too! You would need to grind for hours to get one. Maybe there's more $$$ further in ? This starts making Fallout 4 look like a masterpiece

hmm idk ive just been treating it more like a sandbox and the best way to find money is to find ice fields because almost everything they drop when they are mined and contain something is over 10k a piece, also scan every enemy ship before you destroy it because it will tell you if it has weapons on board you can salvage etc which also sell for quite a bit i just really like space and this has let me pretend to be a space man fairly decently. i also spend hours playing space trader on my phone an old palm os game so take whatever I say with a large space sized chunk of salt

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think procedurally generated games tend to suck.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Celluloid Sam posted:

Hello, I have noticed a recent influx in people making threada on these fine forums to either shill their lovely music or asking goons for money for various reasons which are usually found out quite quickly to not be the real reasons they claimed. Well, I want my piece of the pie and I'm gonna be upfront and honest about it. I want the video game No Man's Sky. I work part time aND am on a fixed income (disability) and can't often afford video games or other extras like that. But Sid, you may be saying, you are high all the time, how do you afford that. Well you see my sister and her roommates give me weed and hash for free. Anyways I am actually really high right now and totally lost my train of thought so I'll get down to brass tacks, someone please buy me No Man's Sky, thank you and I love you all very much.

work full time

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

proclick

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
any goons dumb enough to spend 60 bux on this crap yet

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
there's a big juicy Reddit post over on my favorite website, Reddit, which lists like 50 major features that were shown in the promotional footage but were cut from the actual release.

It's really sad, it sounds like everything that would flesh out the concept got cut, and the developer just lied about what was in this game.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Zorodius posted:

there's a big juicy Reddit post over on my favorite website, Reddit, which lists like 50 major features that were shown in the promotional footage but were cut from the actual release.

It's really sad, it sounds like everything that would flesh out the concept got cut, and the developer just lied about what was in this game.

it's spore all over again right down to the nerd rage about cut features

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

If you're close to my age (sorry), I will describe No Man's Sky in one sentence for you: A Yes album cover by Roger Dean with music by Vangelis.

For the rest of you, let's keep going, and this isn't going to be an exhaustive gameplay discussion, because you can find those all over the place.

Let's pretend that you never read a word about No Man's Sky. Had no idea what it was about. One day, a disc appears in the mail and all it says is "Play Me".

You decide to follow instructions.

When the game is installed, you wait to play until the house is dark and quiet. You shut the door, put on headphones, and press "Play".

Your mind proceeds to get blown. Fully, irretrievably blown.

Awe.

Back in gaming's early days, we overlooked the minor in pursuit of the major. Today, we micro-analyze the minor to invalidate the major.

Don't do that with this game.

It's stunningly, staggeringly beautiful. The experience is almost hypnotic.

I could write many words about how NMS might be even better if it was different here and here and there, but those words do not matter.

The game is bigger than all of those words.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I read about this game and wow the premise really did sound cool. But it sounds like it sucks, so that's no good. I think I read there are aliens on every single planet? wtf is up with that?

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Don Tacorleone posted:

If you're close to my age (sorry), I will describe No Man's Sky in one sentence for you: A Yes album cover by Roger Dean with music by Vangelis.

For the rest of you, let's keep going, and this isn't going to be an exhaustive gameplay discussion, because you can find those all over the place.

Let's pretend that you never read a word about No Man's Sky. Had no idea what it was about. One day, a disc appears in the mail and all it says is "Play Me".

You decide to follow instructions.

When the game is installed, you wait to play until the house is dark and quiet. You shut the door, put on headphones, and press "Play".

Your mind proceeds to get blown. Fully, irretrievably blown.

Awe.

Back in gaming's early days, we overlooked the minor in pursuit of the major. Today, we micro-analyze the minor to invalidate the major.

Don't do that with this game.

It's stunningly, staggeringly beautiful. The experience is almost hypnotic.

I could write many words about how NMS might be even better if it was different here and here and there, but those words do not matter.

The game is bigger than all of those words.

Holy poo poo.
Mentioning Robert Dean, I think you might've just became my favourite poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Celluloid Sam posted:

Hello, I have noticed a recent influx in people making threada on these fine forums to either shill their lovely music or asking goons for money for various reasons which are usually found out quite quickly to not be the real reasons they claimed. Well, I want my piece of the pie and I'm gonna be upfront and honest about it. I want the video game No Man's Sky. I work part time aND am on a fixed income (disability) and can't often afford video games or other extras like that. But Sid, you may be saying, you are high all the time, how do you afford that. Well you see my sister and her roommates give me weed and hash for free. Anyways I am actually really high right now and totally lost my train of thought so I'll get down to brass tacks, someone please buy me No Man's Sky, thank you and I love you all very much.

How do I get disability

• Locked thread