Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think "Who would win in a duel?" would work well because it adds just a touch of extra direction to the prompt. This isn't some random fight, we're talking formal combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'll start the wiki!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After that leaked internal poll, if we do Indiana we have to ask about the senate race.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm in for :10bux: x2. TX or SC are my votes.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
"Would you rather buy a pizza for Mike Pence or Tim Kaine?"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Jokes for jokes and threadbare goon references are lovely and will be the likely outcome of any truly open to all voting / suggestions. Better to ask/poll for general direction of the questions and have one person that knows how to vet the embarrassingly nerdy bullshit out; who isn't afraid to be autocratic gatekeepers about it. This has worked out very well for creative goon group submissions in the past. Just need someone actually funny and talented who can tell contributors to gently caress off.

That said, I like the idea of questions that point at the punditry itself. Questions that seem straightforward and serious unless you know waaaay too much about election minutia

Question on 538's model: While polling South Carolina, "If you knew Georgia was likely to vote for Hillary, would that make you more or less likely to vote for Hillary too?"
Question on horse races: "Regarding how much you follow election coverage, if Hillary and Trump are equally likely to win the election would you watch cable news more, watch cable news less, or would it have little impact either way?"
Question on self important blowhards: "Do you know who Bill Kristol is?"

Also, I would support a joint effort with CHAPO TRAP HOUSE who would also be excellent gatekeepers and still produce hilarious questions.

VVV ShoulderDaemon: yes! VVV
VVV The Rokstar: I like all three of these too! VVV

fosborb fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 10, 2016

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
I'll donate if there's some kind of not-comedy questions to get actual Trump vs. Hillary numbers from. I'm way more interested in knowing what the Texan electorate looks like post-convention than I am in getting joke answers.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Please rate your agreement with the following statements:
- Compromise is part of politics.
- The end of the world will occur <in your lifetime|within X years>.
- The possibility of armed revolution is an integral part of the American political system. (Maybe word this one better somehow)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Rokstar posted:

Please rate your agreement with the following statements:
- Compromise is part of politics.
- The end of the world will occur <in your lifetime|within X years>.
- The possibility of armed revolution is an integral part of the American political system. (Maybe word this one better somehow)

These are all good. Maybe word the last one as:

"America's political process relies on the ability of the populace to conduct an armed revolution if grievances are not answered. Agree/Disagree"

edit: I also agree that ReidRansom or whoever is curating this should tell us all to fuckoff and just pick what seems best or give a short list of "joke" questions. I think we're pretty much in consensus that the top line question should be Trump/Hillary and any important state-wide races.

A question though: do we go for the 2-way, 3-way or 4-way response option for Presidential?

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 10, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

axeil posted:

"America's political process relies on the ability of the populace to conduct an armed revolution if grievances are not answered. Agree/Disagree"

edit: I also agree that ReidRansom or whoever is curating this should tell us all to fuckoff and just pick what seems best or give a short list of "joke" questions. I think we're pretty much in consensus that the top line question should be Trump/Hillary and any important state-wide races.

A question though: do we go for the 2-way, 3-way or 4-way response option for Presidential?

I'd say 2-way and 4-way.

Question for OP: Do you know if this would be a general, RV, or a LV poll? Or can we determine that when the order is placed.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
"If evidence was released that Osama Bin Laden is still alive, would that make you more or less likely to vote for CANDIDATE?"

I also like the one about armed rebellion.
Where do I go to throw money at this?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I think it would be best to keep to only one "silly" question and save it for the end. Too many silly questions would very probably bias the sample. I suspect that even PPP keeps only one around and puts it near the end for this reason.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Please don't open this up to a goon poll. We've only got five questions. Keep it relevant with maybe one slightly wacky. And move quickly. The fewer people you involve will make this go smoother and faster. Put together your poll, get a quote from PPP with all the details, and gather funds. Don't make this more complicated than it need to be.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Please don't open this up to a goon poll. We've only got five questions. Keep it relevant with maybe one slightly wacky. And move quickly. The fewer people you involve will make this go smoother and faster. Put together your poll, get a quote from PPP with all the details, and gather funds. Don't make this more complicated than it need to be.

This is sound advice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looks like Texas is winning the twitter poll by a hefty margin, so is the joke question for SC going to be about nullification or hanging Calhoun?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

There's a difference between wacky for the sake of wacky (Who would win in a fistfight/duel/starcraft match?) and wacky for finding weird and/or useless correlations (Do you own any pink flamingos?); I'd rather our joke question be the second kind. Not that I'm not curious about who'd win a duel, of course.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

axeil posted:

I wouldn't tell anyone to gently caress off. Not in those words anyway. I'm a pretty nice guy generally :)

But to answer some questions, yeah, I don't want this to be super jokey or anything. I was just thinking 4 actual serious questions and one slightly silly one at the end. Something that we can maybe laugh about but that still gives insight into the voting population in whichever state. And for the questions on presidential, I was thinking we'd be best off doing both 2-way and 4-way, leaving us room for one non-presidential national question and one state question, or just two state questions, and then the kind of jokey but still insightful one.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gyges posted:

Looks like Texas is winning the twitter poll by a hefty margin, so is the joke question for SC going to be about nullification or hanging Calhoun?

Yeah, 30 minutes to go and Texas looks likely to win.

SC or IN?

I saw someone suggest MO, but it looks like they're actually being polled recently anyway, so maybe just between these two?

e: kind of leaning SC myself. IN has that leaked internal, but SC hasn't had a national poll this year at all and may have greater shock value

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 10, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, 30 minutes to go and Texas looks likely to win.

SC or IN?

I saw someone suggest MO, but it looks like they're actually being polled recently anyway, so maybe just between these two?

e: kind of leaning SC myself. IN has that leaked internal, but SC hasn't had a national poll this year at all and may have greater shock value

Well leaked internals are kind of a mystery as it might not actually be good data. I think seeing the presidential number for IN would be useful, but I think it's much more likely someone polls IN eventually. No one is gonna poll SC.

So throw me in the ring for SC.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I'd like to nominate Idaho for contention. Equally unlikely to be polled when compared to South Carolina, but the large Mormon minority there could make it more competitive given Utah.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, South Carolina.

"Are you more jealous of NC or GA Being better than you?"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Idaho had one recently, looking at RCP. +21 Trump, so probably not worth the time or money.

Let's just go SC so we can get moving on this.

We'll need at least one state-specific question. Is there a potentially tight race for governor or senate or anything? I know nothing about SC. Also, suggestions for a national non-presidential question.

Thinking we'll go

1) Presidential 2-way
2) Presidential 4-way
3) Nationally relevant non-presidential question
4) State question
5) Fun question

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ReidRansom posted:

Idaho had one recently, looking at RCP. +21 Trump, so probably not worth the time or money.

Let's just go SC so we can get moving on this.

We'll need at least one state-specific question. Is there a potentially tight race for governor or senate or anything? I know nothing about SC. Also, suggestions for a national non-presidential question.

Thinking we'll go

1) Presidential 2-way
2) Presidential 4-way
3) Nationally relevant non-presidential question
4) State question
5) Fun question

SC has a senate race this year, so there's your state question.

An interesting national question: "Do you feel that terrorism is more likely from political extremists or religious extremists?"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

iospace posted:

SC has a senate race this year, so there's your state question.

An interesting national question: "Do you feel that terrorism is more likely from political extremists or religious extremists?"

Could always go with the safe bet of an Obama favorability poll.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Could always go with the safe bet of an Obama favorability poll.

Yeah, but the terrorism question has the potential for some very interesting crosstabs, which is why I like it (I'm particularly interested in dem vs GOP on it). Obama favorability poll is a softball, easy pick, and while it may make a couple news cycles, I think the terrorism one could easily make more.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it would be amusing to poll Clinton vs one of the defeated republican primary candidates or perhaps McCain or Romney. I would love to see the response to evidence that Trump is losing the South where a standard Republican candidate would be winning.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bass Concert Hall posted:

I think it would be amusing to poll Clinton vs one of the defeated republican primary candidates or perhaps McCain or Romney. I would love to see the response to evidence that Trump is losing the South where a standard Republican candidate would be winning.

That's interesting, because McCain supports trump, and Romney doesn't.

For a fun question: University of South Carolina vs Clemson. Because sports (and relevant given college football is starting soon)!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I like polling the terrorism question for an interesting national question.

For a state level question, ask about Senate.

For a fun question, ask "if NC or GA were to be won by clinton would that make you more or less likely to vote for Clinton?"

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It's reaching but it'd be interesting to see someone do a 2-way poll with Hillary Clinton and Gary Johnson.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bass Concert Hall posted:

I like the angle of asking about Republican Trump alternatives. I think it hits the spot of potentially being both funny and interesting.

It might be effective to just directly ask whether, given hindsight and the power to switch, they'd prefer a different Republican candidate or stick with Trump.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Has anyone polled Utah, I have some fun troll questions.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm curious about how many people know what a GMI is and if they support it. Would that make for a nationally relevant question?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You should ask South Carolineans about NC's HB2 Bill. See if being scared of transgender people is truly stronger than a state rivalry.

You have to frame it very specifically though. Something like "Are you in favor of enacting NC's HB2 Bill in South Carolina?"

e:

Supercar Gautier posted:

It might be effective to just directly ask whether, given hindsight and the power to switch, they'd prefer a different Republican candidate or stick with Trump.

This is also awesome. Asking "If given the option right now, who would you choose to be the Republican Presidential Candidate?" With Trump, Rubio, Cruz, Kasich and other as the options.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 10, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I also like the terrorism question, but I think we might want to look at the specific wording to avoid ambiguity (there may be overlap between political and religious terrorism, e.g. abortion clinic bombings). State senate race would be an interesting fourth question.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is also awesome. Asking "If given the option right now, who would you choose to be the Republican Presidential Candidate?" With Trump, Rubio, Cruz, Kasich and other as the options.

That's a great question because I'm curious whether Hillary supporters (not merely Trump-opposers) would want a 'good' opponent (in case their candidate loses) or an easily-stompable one (so she doesn't). Perhaps add McCain or Romney to the list before 'other'?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Has anyone polled whether people think Trump is a plant trying to hand the election to Clinton? If not, I propose that for a wacky final question.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Ask for their opinion on George Zimmerman and also find out their race, because I want to see if black people hate Trump more than they hate Zimmerman.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grundulum posted:

I also like the terrorism question, but I think we might want to look at the specific wording to avoid ambiguity (there may be overlap between political and religious terrorism, e.g. abortion clinic bombings). State senate race would be an interesting fourth question.

Also I think it might be worth dropping something in there for racist extremism because I think it's otherwise a false dichotomy for the large African American minority.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

You can do a 1 question survey of SC of 1000 people for 100 bucks through this link: https://www.google.com/insights/consumersurveys/use_cases?example=general&offer=view_survey_offer

But if you want to add more people it goes from .15 to 1.50 a survey for some reason.

It was used for this kinda crappy national poll but it is cheap.

Slate Action posted:

Have an ~Internet Poll~

National GE poll - Red Oak Strategic / Google Consumer Surveys
8/3 - 8/9 - 1,514 respondents

Clinton 37
Trump 30
Johnson 10
Not Sure 24

(yes that adds up to 101%, loving rounding!!)

e: Now that I think about it there would be no way to do some filtering for RV or LV without filter questions so probably not a good idea. I did just do a 333 person survey for free though just to see what would happen.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ask SC residents why mustard sauce-based BBQ is so loving terrible.

Also why they're not gay.

• Locked thread