Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

Ask SC residents why mustard sauce-based BBQ is so loving terrible.

I'm sorry for your tongue, but I'm curious, how is it living without taste buds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I think the hypothetical between Clinton and a non-cheeto candidate (Rubio?) would be best, since it won't be polluted by Dems who would not have voted in a hypothetical Republican primary re-do.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Speaking as a guy who's worked for a competitor of PPP as a telephone interviewer, some begs:

1. For the interviewer's sake, don't include any question you'd be afraid to ask a family member, and presume third parties can hear both sides. So I would never ever ask a question like "Are you gay?" because you may be asking someone to out themselves where that's not a good idea. On a political survey, questions that break this rule of thumb are really uncomfortable. Because yes, you will have actual people doing this and it's not cool to make an already awkward experience (cold-calling a random phone number is terrifying) worse.

2. Remember that most of these firms rate the folks on the phones by how many surveys they complete per hour. Joke questions are good, but leave em to the end so it's glaringly obvious that the question, not the interviewer, is the reason the respondent hangs up on the interviewer in frustration.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alternative question for the national level question: "Who is more to blame for the gridlock in Washington, Congress or the President?"

Though this will results in the expected crosstabs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Rokstar posted:

It's reaching but it'd be interesting to see someone do a 2-way poll with Hillary Clinton and Gary Johnson.

I like this one, and really want it to happen. I love it. Could share all the numbers on Facebook and whatever about a hypothetical Johnson/Clinton head-to-head and piss Trump off for stuff going around that doesn't even mention him.

Also I'm down for throwing my :10bux: in the pot.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 11, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If Donald Trump's tax returns proved that he donated money to the NAMBLA, would you be more or less likely to vote for him?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I like this one, and really want it to happen. I love it. Could share all the numbers on Facebook and whatever about a hypothetical Johnson/Clinton head-to-head and piss Trump off for stuff going around that doesn't even mention him.

Maybe
Clinton vs Trump
Clinton vs Johnson (how many of her supporters are anti-Trump?)
Johnson vs Trump (do people like him or just think 'better the devil you don't know'?)
state race
weird question

Not only would it annoy Trump, it'd annoy Jill Stein by implying no one would vote for her no matter her opponents...

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

zonohedron posted:

Maybe
Clinton vs Trump
Clinton vs Johnson (how many of her supporters are anti-Trump?)
Johnson vs Trump (do people like him or just think 'better the devil you don't know'?)
state race
weird question

Not only would it annoy Trump, it'd annoy Jill Stein by implying no one would vote for her no matter her opponents...

If you do this, one of the questions should be about party affiliation, to judge the relative discontent of each party with their candidate.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

PPP just released a SC poll.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Astroclassicist posted:

lol. and just as I was setting up the funding page, haha

Suggestions?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Indiana or Missouri.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

lol. and just as I was setting up the funding page, haha

Suggestions?

Indiana. Get those "Indianians hate Mike Pence" headlines roll.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astroclassicist posted:

PPP is reading this right now and doesn't want our money.

We should do Kansas and our statewide question should be preference between Brownback and Mizzou Tigers.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Subterfrugal posted:

If Donald Trump's tax returns proved that he donated money to the NAMBLA, would you be more or less likely to vote for him?

This is actually the best possible question. It's the most likely to actually accomplish something worthwhile (suppress Trump votes).

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Sharkie posted:

This is actually the best possible question. It's the most likely to actually accomplish something worthwhile (suppress Trump votes).

This, or something pushing likely to bait Trump and surrounding the amount of money he has - perhaps something like:

"Would you be more or less likely to vote for Donald Trump if his assets were to be valued at under 300 million dollars?"

Also, in for :10bux:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I wonder how loaded you can make the question, "Donald Trump is the first presidential candidate to not release his tax returns in 40 years, should he do so?"

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pappyland posted:

This, or something pushing likely to bait Trump and surrounding the amount of money he has - perhaps something like:

"Would you be more or less likely to vote for Donald Trump if his assets were to be valued at under 300 million dollars?"

If people insist on a push poll (:barf:), at least use this question that isn't grotesque.

Seriously, people rightly shat on Rove for his illegitimate black baby poll question during the 2000 primaries. Why on earth is it okay to do that here?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What state is the best bet at showing Johnson beating Trump or Hillary in head to head if Hollary or Trump were removed? Lets do the poll there

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GlyphGryph posted:

What state is the best bet at showing Johnson beating Trump or Hillary in head to head if Hollary or Trump were removed? Lets do the poll there

Utah.

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

Grundulum posted:

If people insist on a push poll (:barf:), at least use this question that isn't grotesque.

Seriously, people rightly shat on Rove for his illegitimate black baby poll question during the 2000 primaries. Why on earth is it okay to do that here?

I agree. I wouldn't want to contribute if there was a push poll question on there. Besides it being ethically lovely, doesn't it waste an opportunity to gain more interesting data?

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

Because Rove had actual power and we are posting on politics subforum of a comedy website

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If Utah is done:

1. 2-way
2. 5-way w/ McMuffin (because it's relevant to this state)
3. "Do you agree or disagree with Gov Herbert's endorsement of Trump?"
4. Still fond of that terrorism question, but others disagree
5. I would say a Mormon question (like have you seen the musical?), but given what Spacewolf said, dunno.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What about Mississippi? It's a backwater shithole with few electoral votes, sure, but it looks like there has only been one poll, way back in March, and it was just T+3.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ReidRansom posted:

What about Mississippi? It's a backwater shithole with few electoral votes, sure, but it looks like there has only been one poll, way back in March, and it was just T+3.

This is the glory of this election, it opens a treasure trove of states that we could poll. If we do Mississippi, I think Ol' Miss vs Miss State would be a good silly question (and one that would likely not get someone to hang up on). There's no senate or governor race this year there, so you could do a Governor approval poll if you want a state relevant question.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Qwazes posted:

Because Rove had actual power and we are posting on politics subforum of a comedy website

This is a lovely defense in general, but it's especially unconvincing when we are discussing a poll of real-world people to obtain real-world results that could influence a real-world election.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

iospace is probably right that Utah's the best bet there, but Utah's more likely to be polled by someone than, say, Idaho (or apparently Mississippi?) and I'm sure we can't be the first to think of asking Hillary vs Trump plus either vs Johnson.

Seconding the request not to do a push poll - it doesn't give useful information, it doesn't make anyone laugh, and they're yucky.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If we do Indiana it'd be interesting to do a question on KKK favorability. Aside from the obvious demographic implications, Indiana was (still is?) the center of one of the more prominent KKK chapters.

Hoosier Pride :911:

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Alaska!

In terms of PVI, Alaska has moved more toward the Democrats in the last 15 years than any state except Vermont, so I'm curious to see what's going on there.

Montana or Nebraska would be cool too.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Alaska and Montana would also double as really good states for the Hillary/Johnson 2-way question.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I do think it should be a push poll because it's ethical and desirable to hurt Trump's campaign.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sharkie posted:

I do think it should be a push poll because it's ethical and desirable to hurt Trump's campaign.

A lovely push-poll question won't achieve that. It's a poll, not a media blitz. You're not going to persuade the entire state of Utah that Trump is the unabomber by sticking accusatory innuendos into a poll question.

The only poll question that has any chance of hurting Trump is one that gets accurate on-the-level data which embarrasses him.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Please insert a question for ring size with breakdown between male and female respondents and then after the poll please publish Trump's actual ring size for comparison.

(not a serious proposal)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

iospace posted:

This is the glory of this election, it opens a treasure trove of states that we could poll. If we do Mississippi, I think Ol' Miss vs Miss State would be a good silly question (and one that would likely not get someone to hang up on). There's no senate or governor race this year there, so you could do a Governor approval poll if you want a state relevant question.

Yeah, I think with its sizable black population it could be interesting. Because holy poo poo do black people haaaate Trump.

And maybe a "Do black lives, in fact, matter? Yes/no?" or something about the Confederate flag on their flag.

It could be an interesting state.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If we do Indiana, how about, "Does choosing Mike Pence as his VP make your more or less likely to vote for Trump?"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, I think with its sizable black population it could be interesting. Because holy poo poo do black people haaaate Trump.

And maybe a "Do black lives, in fact, matter? Yes/no?" or something about the Confederate flag on their flag.

It could be an interesting state.

I like those. One is nationally relevant, the other is state relevant.

So if we do Mississippi, my vote is for this:

1. 2-way
2. 4-way
3. Confederate flag on flag
4. BLM
5. Ol' Miss vs Miss State

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would really have an alternate 2 way rather than an HvT 2 way or a 4 way. Having both of those seems pretty redundant as far as getting interesting info i concerned

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ReidRansom posted:

"How many "s" are in Mississippi?"

1. Two
2. Three
3. Four
4. Six

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

UPDATE

I emailed PPP back just to see if they had any plans to poll IN, MO, or MS lest we get a little way along and find out they're already doing it or just did it like TX or SC, and they said they are not presently polling those three and have no immediate plans to do so.

However, they can't do IN anyhow. Automated dialing not allowed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I vote MS because it definitely isn't getting polled.

Ole Miss vs Southern Miss would be fun for a state-wide question as I don't think they have a GOV or SEN election. And something about BLM would be fun for a trolly question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mr Hootington posted:

"How many "s" are in Mississippi?"

1. Two
2. Three
3. Four
4. Six

This is a great troll question