Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
OHIO can get a bad rap from time to time, sometimes it is due though. However we do have some interesting hikes and places to explore. I'll get the ball rolling with some areas of interest around me (Cincinnati and a few hours each direction).

I work from home and am fortunate to live a few miles from East Fork State Park, it has a big lake that is mostly filled with green algae these days. However, we have miles of mountain bike, horse and hiking trails; the mountain bike trails being the best maintained thanks to a group called CORA. While not offering anything more than a moderate hike I still enjoy the trails along with the wildlife and, this year because of the rain, a lot of colorful moss and fungi.

Here is a nice little park map indicating some trails: https://parks.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/parks/PDFs/parks/Maps/East_Fork/eastforktrailmap.pdf
Facebook page providing trail conditions : https://www.facebook.com/East-Fork-State-Park-MTB-trails-131356216927353/

Just a few pictures taken from East Fork

Further East (and a little North) is the Hocking Hills area which has some beautiful hiking with a lot more rocky terrain, caves, water, etc. The main attractions for this area (most crowded) are Old Mans Cave, Ash Cave, Conkle's Hollow just to name a few. These places will be crowded on the weekends, it seems the Old Mans Cave trail system are the most visited.

http://www.hockinghills.com/hiking.html

Heading a little south to around West Union is the "Chaparral Prairie State Nature Preserve". My wife and I hiked a little bit of this on our way to Portsmouth, it has a lot of unique plant life only found in the nearby area. The terrain varies, some open "prairie" meandering into forrest and back out into open fields.

http://naturepreserves.ohiodnr.gov/chaparralprairie

For those of you who live in Ohio or have hiked Ohio trails and want to add to this please do. I would like to explore more hidden treasures this area has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oak Openings here in the Toledo area has some really nice trails and while it's nothing too long or hardcore, it's a great walk especially during the fall.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I've really enjoyed John Bryan State Park in Yellow Springs, and Tar Hollow a little further north. But if you're in southern Ohio, and don't mind a long drive, Red River Gorge in central Kentucky is beautiful.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nael posted:

I've really enjoyed John Bryan State Park in Yellow Springs, and Tar Hollow a little further north. But if you're in southern Ohio, and don't mind a long drive, Red River Gorge in central Kentucky is beautiful.

RRG is one of my favorite spots. So far Indian Staircase and the hike over to Cloud Splitter are amazing, still need to discover more down there. Any trails you'd recommend?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

mAlfunkti0n posted:

RRG is one of my favorite spots. So far Indian Staircase and the hike over to Cloud Splitter are amazing, still need to discover more down there. Any trails you'd recommend?

Check out the Swift Camp Creek trail, it's a good hike and some great scenery, with some trout stocked in the creek as well. There's some great campsites just about a mile and a half in, where the trail first comes down to the creek. It's my favorite place to camp at the Gorge.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
We have a trip planned for RRG in mid September, camping at Koomer Ridge so we will hit the Swift Camp Creek trail, looks awesome.

On another note, one of the trails I hike almost daily has this awesome section of broad leaf trees, the whole area is filled with them (i'll get a shot tonight when I go back out). I always love the area because of the feel the leaves lend to the trail, turns out they are Pawpaw trees and will yield awesome fruit next month!

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
I go to East Fork a lot; I think it's one best places around here. Today I visited the Twin Creek Metropark for the second time; it's probably the most beautiful parks I've been to.

During the weekdays I like to hike for about an hour by going to smaller trails close by in southeast Hamilton County, like California Nature Preserve, but I want to find more areas in northern Kentucky as well. I've not been to Devou Park. Does anyone know what it's like?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

DeciusMagnus posted:

I go to East Fork a lot; I think it's one best places around here. Today I visited the Twin Creek Metropark for the second time; it's probably the most beautiful parks I've been to.

During the weekdays I like to hike for about an hour by going to smaller trails close by in southeast Hamilton County, like California Nature Preserve, but I want to find more areas in northern Kentucky as well. I've not been to Devou Park. Does anyone know what it's like?

Devou should be a nice hike, the mountain bike trails there are well maintained and it has much more elevation gain than East Fork. I've not ridden there or hiked it, but from all I hear it is very nice. Let me know what you think of it if you go!

Communist Pie
Mar 11, 2007

...Robot!
http://i.imgur.com/RWje4Bw.jpg

Here's a 360(ish) shot from RRG a few weeks ago at Hanson's Point.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Communist Pie posted:

http://i.imgur.com/RWje4Bw.jpg

Here's a 360(ish) shot from RRG a few weeks ago at Hanson's Point.

Really nice vantage point! Looking forward to heading back next month.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Cuyahoga National Park is either the second or third most visited national park, right behind the Smokies. Suck it Yellowstone!

Columbus' metro parks are great as well, especially highbanks. We also have the world's largest outdoor climbing wall at the Audobahn metro park.

Otherwise, Zaleski has a phenomenal backpacking trail with lots of great history, Shawnee state park is very similar but hillier and is known as the little smokies.

Further north I really love Mohican State Park for quick overnighters, especially on the north side. I'll have to dig up some photos, but it's spectacular camping out on site 10 overlooking the gorge and foothills in the distance, and it's especially beautiful backing there in the winter.

Salt Fork State Park out east is maybe the most underappreciated state park in Ohio, and I want to say the largest. Spectacular waterfalls, great rugged trails, incredible lodge with great rooms and dining... I'll dig up some pictures and post them in a bit.

Not in Ohio but within a few hours drive, Red River Gorge in Danielle Boone National Forest in Kentucky is spectacular, with natural arches and beautiful vistas overlooking miles of wooded canyons. Dolly Sods in West Virginia is one of the most beautiful places in the United States, with different biomes every few hundred feet and awesome alpine meadows like what you'd see out west.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

Not in Ohio but within a few hours drive, Red River Gorge in Danielle Boone National Forest in Kentucky is spectacular, with natural arches and beautiful vistas overlooking miles of wooded canyons. Dolly Sods in West Virginia is one of the most beautiful places in the United States, with different biomes every few hundred feet and awesome alpine meadows like what you'd see out west.

Heading to Dolly Sods the second weekend in October. It's agony waiting right now!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Cuyahoga is pretty neat. There's also this strange valley in the middle of it that used to be a huge industrial waste dump that was finally cleaned up.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

Cuyahoga is pretty neat. There's also this strange valley in the middle of it that used to be a huge industrial waste dump that was finally cleaned up.

Is that a metaphor for Cleveland being spruced up for the RNC?

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
I live just a few miles away from East Fork as well (Amelia). It's definitely beautiful area.

I took the family camping at RRG last weekend and it was great. We attended their Living Archaeology Weekend event which was a good bonus. So many things to do there and whether you want to car camp or backcountry camp there are options.

I went to a wedding last month near Mohican State Park and I'll second the recommendation OSU_Matthew made - it's very pretty, lots of options for canoeing or kayaking and hiking, lots of nice views.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Solaron posted:

I live just a few miles away from East Fork as well (Amelia). It's definitely beautiful area.

I took the family camping at RRG last weekend and it was great. We attended their Living Archaeology Weekend event which was a good bonus. So many things to do there and whether you want to car camp or backcountry camp there are options.

I went to a wedding last month near Mohican State Park and I'll second the recommendation OSU_Matthew made - it's very pretty, lots of options for canoeing or kayaking and hiking, lots of nice views.

Howdy fellow Amelia dweller!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

When I was a kid, we'd camp at Lake Vesuvius near Ironton, Ohio in Lawrence County. It has great 5 and 10 mile hikes, and lots of fishing too. I was lucky enough to catch a trout once

If you're in or near West Virginia, check out Lake Sherwood in Greenbriar County, it's the most beautiful forest I've ever seen

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I forgot to update this from time to time, and especially forgot to update it after I took my trip to Dolly Sods in WV. What an amazing place! The weather when we arrived was a bit chilly (35F with 25-30MPH constant winds at the parking spot) and had blowing snow. For my first backpacking trip I think it went really well. We planned a three day trip but ended up doing two days, there was a fire ban in place (it HAD been dry) but by the time we arrived everything was soaked to the bone and a fire was really out of the question. The second day of the trip the weather did a 180, roughly 55F and sunny.

Here are just a few photos from the trip, I am planning my return there this spring.

Approach. FR-75 is the road leading to the parking area at the Bear Rocks trailhead.

Every mile of this place is different. Open areas like this transition into densely wooded conifers then to open but extremely rocky bog and then downhill to dense broad leaf deciduous trees.

Surprisingly it was actually a busy weekend here, the person in front of my is my buddy who I went with, the rest are some folks from New Jersey who were just there to enjoy a trip as we did.

The area we decided to camp at was in the above mentioned broad leaf tree area. Water was plentiful here so filtering for cooking, etc was easy. However the area we picked was plagued with a couple of badly placed roots ... had we ventured 30 seconds on before setting up the tent we would have found a much better spot. Oh well, lesson learned! Still this area was awesome, plenty of water and protection from wind was a welcome change.

I mentioned the second day was different...

For our next trip to Dolly Sods this is where we are staying. An awesome conifer "forest" next to this stream, it was the perfect spot. I cannot recommend this place enough to anyone within a days drive, it was awesome to get away from the rest of the busy world and just enjoy the simplicity this area affords you.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 5, 2017

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
We took the scout troop to Hocking Hills a couple years ago. Canoed for one long day, and did a couple ten mile hikes. Gorgeous area.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GORDON posted:

We took the scout troop to Hocking Hills a couple years ago. Canoed for one long day, and did a couple ten mile hikes. Gorgeous area.

Yeah Hocking is a really nice area, been there many times and never get tired of it.

Also, updated the links to my photos .. whoops.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
We visited family in Cleveland over New Years and enjoyed a few hours on the trails at South Chagrin Reservation. Seemed like a neat little spot.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
It's a day late, but the annual Hocking Hills winter hike is the third Saturday in January. Since there isn't any snow right now, it was probably more of a 6 mile stroll than hike. It covers from Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave, and it is a gorgeous view.

A Memorial Day 2014 view from inside Ash Cave. In the winter of 1976?, the waterfall froze the 100 ft from top to bottom.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Anya posted:

It's a day late, but the annual Hocking Hills winter hike is the third Saturday in January. Since there isn't any snow right now, it was probably more of a 6 mile stroll than hike. It covers from Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave, and it is a gorgeous view.

A Memorial Day 2014 view from inside Ash Cave. In the winter of 1976?, the waterfall froze the 100 ft from top to bottom.

Yeah bummed about the lack of snow this year, Ohio continues to receive less and less over time.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah bummed about the lack of snow this year, Ohio continues to receive less and less over time.

At least Brown and Adams County cancel school at the first sign of ice or snow, so the kids there have had some snow days (I like taking days off work when my kids have snow days, what can I say?). West Clermont never seems to cancel.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Solaron posted:

At least Brown and Adams County cancel school at the first sign of ice or snow, so the kids there have had some snow days (I like taking days off work when my kids have snow days, what can I say?). West Clermont never seems to cancel.

West Clermont is the nazi school district for winter closures. I went to Live Oaks and they were even worse because unless a vast majority of feeder schools canceled they were open, and if that happened we never had bus service to Live Oaks. I remember a day it snowed so hard and the buses were running off the road, etc, the school refused to close.

Now I work from home and never get a snow day.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Any suggestions for hiking around North-East Ohio, specifically around the Akron area? I have family that lives nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Val Helmethead posted:

Any suggestions for hiking around North-East Ohio, specifically around the Akron area? I have family that lives nearby.

Cuyahoga Valley National Park is nearby, and definitely worth checking out if you haven't been. The Akron Metro Parks looked fairly nice from the little bit I saw, but I can't make a specific recommendation on those.

• Locked thread