Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

atomicthumbs posted:

do you people not keep your computer inside a dessicated box or what

Makes it too hard to pour in the liquid nitrogen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just keep your box dehumidified, duh!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just keep your box dehumidified, duh!

So should the airflow order be dehumidifier -> case -> chiller or chiller -> dehumidifier -> case

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Deuce posted:

So should the airflow order be dehumidifier -> case -> chiller or chiller -> dehumidifier -> case

I'm currently building a setup where my motherboard is in the HVAC supply duct in the wall and I alternate between AC and furnace+humidifier combo, so as to take advantage of an evaporative cooling effect

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Just a heads up for people wanting to do custom loops, you can spend a ton of cash on fittings. I didn't really plan my tubing very well when I did my first hard tubed acrylic build and probably spent over 200 bucks on fittings. I had a lot of components but still even with the bare minimum it adds up.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

I'm currently building a setup where my motherboard is in the HVAC supply duct in the wall and I alternate between AC and furnace+humidifier combo, so as to take advantage of an evaporative cooling effect

Hot new trend from Corsair, Thermaltake, and Inwin: The DuctCase! Attach your PC to your central or underfloor HVAC! Just remove in wintertime!

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
A combination of immersion cooling and phase-change cooling: Your motherboard is mounted in a pressure vessel, and you have your central AC condenser funneling liquid freon into the chamber, where hot components cause it to evaporate.

How do I check how many atmospheres of pressure my components are rated for?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

A combination of immersion cooling and phase-change cooling: Your motherboard is mounted in a pressure vessel, and you have your central AC condenser funneling liquid freon into the chamber, where hot components cause it to evaporate.

How do I check how many atmospheres of pressure my components are rated for?

To cool off the increased heat load to your main AC condenser there is this sophisticated heatsink with large copper heat pipes and an array of 20 120mm fans to give you top performance.
If you seek extreme performance it can be further upgraded with a full blown 5 ton 20 seer AC unit to cool off the other AC unit circulating freon inside the pressure vessel.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

http://www.electronics-cooling.com/2005/11/advances-in-high-performance-cooling-for-electronics/

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

...That's a lot of cooling.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Back in the day I had an 80W peltier cooler connected to a dangerden water block and radiator. Kept my CPU at a nice and cool 60 deg F all day long. Went the full monty with vaseline in the CPU connector and silicone sealant around the whole setup - custom water reservoir made from home depot components and brass barbs. Good stuff!

It was a fun ride but I went back to air cooling eventually.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Numinous posted:

Back in the day I had an 80W peltier cooler connected to a dangerden water block and radiator. Kept my CPU at a nice and cool 60 deg F all day long. Went the full monty with vaseline in the CPU connector and silicone sealant around the whole setup - custom water reservoir made from home depot components and brass barbs. Good stuff!

Subambient is loving awesome even if it's a headache. Did you take any pictures?

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I don't. This was back in the day where I think I maybe had a 640x480 digital camera and definitely not a cell phone.

It was a cool build too - ran dual power supplies so I could turn on the peltier and water pump before booting the system. Had wired up a 'slam style' kill switch in the event that the peltier power supply died because I would only have like 60 seconds before I fried the CPU (way before internal temp monitors would throttle back power).

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Put back together.

Man now I wanna do another one.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Numinous posted:

I don't. This was back in the day where I think I maybe had a 640x480 digital camera and definitely not a cell phone.

It was a cool build too - ran dual power supplies so I could turn on the peltier and water pump before booting the system. Had wired up a 'slam style' kill switch in the event that the peltier power supply died because I would only have like 60 seconds before I fried the CPU (way before internal temp monitors would throttle back power).

a relay with a buzzer or something would've been just as cool. you could even get a delayed timing relay for effect!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Numinous posted:

Same, but it was a watercooled peltier block for my gpu. Kept it around -1C at idle, and around 2 or so at load.

That first bump was me reversing the polarity of the peltier accidentally, I switched it, and you can see the results :)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Peltiers seem scary/unproductive in the end, though. They generate heat right in the same spot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My main problem with peltiers is the potential condensation. Otherwise I'd probably be running one just for the "why not" factor. (I have way too much rad volume for my TDP)

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Oh man this thread brings me back. I spent summer after freshman year of high school trying to watercool my first PC, a 1.2Ghz AMD TBird. I'll never forget:

- Attempting to make a waterblock with junkyard copper, old wire, a dremel, JBWeld, and a soldering iron. Luckily the thing fell apart while lapping the base, would have been a timebomb.
- Attempting to make a giant evaporative cooler and trying to assure my parents that the humidity wouldn't rot my room from the inside-out
- The guy at Napa Auto Parts who was so incredibly down to help a strange child identify dimensionally-appropriate heater cores
- Learning that silicone tubing is water vapor permeable, trying to figure out why my water level kept dropping and why the pump would pull air after 3 months
- Slicing the gently caress out of my hands with a box cutter while building a reservoir out of junk to fix the above problem, starting my DIY scar collection
- Like so many future projects, doing a mediocre job and quitting at 90%

You kids today don't know how lucky you gots it, with your AIO's and your off-the-shelf phase change.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Vapochill feels like it's been around for ages. Or was around for ages. I don't even know if they're still around.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Something really fun about a water cooling set up, even without all the benefits its just a cool thing to play around with

Just doing a strip down and clean on mine now, with some shiny new fittings and tubing arriving today

Can't wait :)

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Reading this thread while on vacation in South East Asia makes me have crazy ideas on water cooling my hot rear end bedroom at my grandma's until I remember LinusTechTips did it and it was an absolute disaster.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mofabio posted:

Oh man this thread brings me back. I spent summer after freshman year of high school trying to watercool my first PC, a 1.2Ghz AMD TBird. I'll never forget:

- Attempting to make a waterblock with junkyard copper, old wire, a dremel, JBWeld, and a soldering iron. Luckily the thing fell apart while lapping the base, would have been a timebomb.
- Attempting to make a giant evaporative cooler and trying to assure my parents that the humidity wouldn't rot my room from the inside-out
- The guy at Napa Auto Parts who was so incredibly down to help a strange child identify dimensionally-appropriate heater cores
- Learning that silicone tubing is water vapor permeable, trying to figure out why my water level kept dropping and why the pump would pull air after 3 months
- Slicing the gently caress out of my hands with a box cutter while building a reservoir out of junk to fix the above problem, starting my DIY scar collection
- Like so many future projects, doing a mediocre job and quitting at 90%

You kids today don't know how lucky you gots it, with your AIO's and your off-the-shelf phase change.

We had off the shelf phase change back then. Kryotech homie

Fragrag posted:

Reading this thread while on vacation in South East Asia makes me have crazy ideas on water cooling my hot rear end bedroom at my grandma's until I remember LinusTechTips did it and it was an absolute disaster.

Build a swamp cooler

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fragrag posted:

I wouldn't hold anything linus does as an actual representation of the thing in question.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fragrag posted:

Don't see why not. I live in SEA and summers here hit 34~5c at 90% humidity and I watercooled just fine without an aircon. In the end, watercooling just keeps the delta between ambient and max temps lower.

Unless you meant trying to actually cool your bedroom with water?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Don't see why not. I live in SEA and summers here hit 34~5c at 90% humidity and I watercooled just fine without an aircon. In the end, watercooling just keeps the delta between ambient and max temps lower.

Unless you meant trying to actually cool your bedroom with water?
Linus was using a bedroom as an office that was full of a bunch of high-end computers that heated the room up very badly. The idea was to make a massive shared watercooling system that would pump the heat from all of the systems into a radiator outside the house, keeping the room and thus the people and computers inside cooler. It turns out that it basically didn't work for poo poo. It was way more work than expected, there were leaks, and most of the heat was lost in the pipes before it got outside anyway so the room was still hot and cooling still sucked. And then after it was all done they got evicted and had to tear it down to move! Here's the start of the saga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alereon posted:

Linus was using a bedroom as an office that was full of a bunch of high-end computers that heated the room up very badly. The idea was to make a massive shared watercooling system that would pump the heat from all of the systems into a radiator outside the house, keeping the room and thus the people and computers inside cooler. It turns out that it basically didn't work for poo poo. It was way more work than expected, there were leaks, and most of the heat was lost in the pipes before it got outside anyway so the room was still hot and cooling still sucked. And then after it was all done they got evicted and had to tear it down to move! Here's the start of the saga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc

LinusDrillTips is great for comedy. They used copper piping for the whole thing.

If you remember, copper is an excellent material for transferring heat. :psyduck:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

LinusDrillTips is great for comedy. They used copper piping for the whole thing.

If you remember, copper is an excellent material for transferring heat. :psyduck:

The entire time I watched the saga I wondered why they either didn't pick another type of piping (probably price or "well it's what I've used in pc's before") or at least loving insulate the pipes

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Well, a big part of LTT's whole thing is "can you do this?" To which the answer very often is "technically yes, but you shouldn't." This particular example ended up as "not really."

Insulated pipes would have kinda worked. A much better option was obviously "put an air conditioner in the window, jackass," but that wasn't really the point. Like bong coolers and LN2, sometimes you just gotta do poo poo for the sake of doing poo poo.

They did make me aware that this is a thing and now I totally want to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5d7ynJXiZc&t=273s

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deuce posted:

Well, a big part of LTT's whole thing is "can you do this?" To which the answer very often is "technically yes, but you shouldn't." This particular example ended up as "not really."

Insulated pipes would have kinda worked. A much better option was obviously "put an air conditioner in the window, jackass," but that wasn't really the point. Like bong coolers and LN2, sometimes you just gotta do poo poo for the sake of doing poo poo.

They did make me aware that this is a thing and now I totally want to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5d7ynJXiZc&t=273s

They put that same approach to hardware/software solutions that are vital to their business, though. Look at their dumb saga with their server. That raid setup was the dumbest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Idiot should have rented a backhoe and done this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/671177/12-feet-under-1000-square-feet-of-geothermal-pc-cooling

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

They put that same approach to hardware/software solutions that are vital to their business, though. Look at their dumb saga with their server. That raid setup was the dumbest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

Well, yeah. Bunch of geeks who do crazy homebuilt custom stuff that sometimes goes terribly wrong make crazy homebuilt custom backup server that goes terribly wrong.

I bet they have a professional offsite backup now.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

And here everyone tells me I'm crazy spending 30 grand on a 5 ton ground-source geothermal heat pump solely for cooling my pc.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I saw the Linus water cooled room thing and another streamer who ran his radiator down to the basement, but it got me thinking. Why not just put the computers in a basement and then run thunderbolt and whatever else I/O you need up to the room you need it in? That way you pretty much just have monitors and hubs in your work space, and you can run the cheapest, loudest air cooling you want.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VulgarandStupid posted:

I saw the Linus water cooled room thing and another streamer who ran his radiator down to the basement, but it got me thinking. Why not just put the computers in a basement and then run thunderbolt and whatever else I/O you need up to the room you need it in? That way you pretty much just have monitors and hubs in your work space, and you can run the cheapest, loudest air cooling you want.

This is definitely a thing people do (when they have money to have nice solutions). Monoprice and other retailers have what you need to run poo poo like USB and HDMI and DP through walls, so you could stick your PC in a room that's kept at a low temp, and only have accessories and screens and whatnot at your desk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's what Linus does now, he's got a computer closet with his rigs in a ... closet, and then runs a thunderbolt through the wall. Seems to work ok.

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

VulgarandStupid posted:

He ended up doing that at his actual house, I think. Rack of poo poo in a closet and thunderbolt out to the desks. I'm torn on it myself - I don't want to hear my system running, but if I did water cooling I'd absolutely want to be able to see it - not just to show it off, but to watch for leaks or other signs of problems.

I can't be too hard on him for the storage meltdown - he hosed up originally, realized it was a problem, built a proper server to copy it to - and was mid-replication to a properly configured system when it failed on him. No wait, I can be. "moved a server before it was completely backed up" and the ever-hilarious "installed a critical server in a construction site WITHOUT A UPS" are perfectly great reasons to point and laugh.

Of all the thread-relevant things he's done, I think my favorite was A) build an oil-immersion fishtank PC and then B) move it cross-town in a moving van without draining most of the oil into a drum. It developed fractures and they had to drain and repair it. :laugh:

E: Anyone seen the laminar flow hobbists? They use a water jet as a lightguide and it looks pretty good. Wondering if the water/plastic boundary could pull it off as well as water/air does. Obviously it can't go through any blocks, but you could do your two long-runs that way and have the actual tubes be glowing with full RGB control.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 9, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Harik posted:

He ended up doing that at his actual house, I think. Rack of poo poo in a closet and thunderbolt out to the desks. I'm torn on it myself - I don't want to hear my system running, but if I did water cooling I'd absolutely want to be able to see it - not just to show it off, but to watch for leaks or other signs of problems.

I can't be too hard on him for the storage meltdown - he hosed up originally, realized it was a problem, built a proper server to copy it to - and was mid-replication to a properly configured system when it failed on him. No wait, I can be. "moved a server before it was completely backed up" and the ever-hilarious "installed a critical server in a construction site WITHOUT A UPS" are perfectly great reasons to point and laugh.

Of all the thread-relevant things he's done, I think my favorite was A) build an oil-immersion fishtank PC and then B) move it cross-town in a moving van without draining most of the oil into a drum. It developed fractures and they had to drain and repair it. :laugh:

Watercooling can be practically silent. Run lots of rad space and very slow fans.

I run a 480 and a 360 rad for an 980ti and an i7-4790k. Fans run at 300rpm during regular things. bumps to 700 or so during gaming.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Harik posted:

E: Anyone seen the laminar flow hobbists? They use a water jet as a lightguide and it looks pretty good. Wondering if the water/plastic boundary could pull it off as well as water/air does. Obviously it can't go through any blocks, but you could do your two long-runs that way and have the actual tubes be glowing with full RGB control.

So just don't do water cooling if you're gonna put it in another room. Once you do that, size and sound levels are no longer a concern, so run air because it's cheaper and probably more reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Now I really want to build a system in a mini split-system AC condenser chassis, mount it on a balcony outside a window, and have all the wires running through the copper tubing. Replace relay with PSU, keep original 500 cfm fan.