Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Don Lapre posted:

Watercooling can be practically silent. Run lots of rad space and very slow fans.

I run a 480 and a 360 rad for an 980ti and an i7-4790k. Fans run at 300rpm during regular things. bumps to 700 or so during gaming.

What'd that setup run you? (Just the cooling portion) I'm trying to ballpark a reasonable budget for this.

VulgarandStupid posted:

So just don't do water cooling if you're gonna put it in another room. Once you do that, size and sound levels are no longer a concern, so run air because it's cheaper and probably more reliable.

Oh that's easy - because I've got three machines and I wouldn't mind keeping one out for show while I toss the others off somewhere to be neither seen nor heard. I mean, I could pay to throw near-silent air coolers on them all but that's just not as fun.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't mind sticking my NAS in a closet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Harik posted:

What'd that setup run you? (Just the cooling portion) I'm trying to ballpark a reasonable budget for this.

Oh that's easy - because I've got three machines and I wouldn't mind keeping one out for show while I toss the others off somewhere to be neither seen nor heard. I mean, I could pay to throw near-silent air coolers on them all but that's just not as fun.

Not including GPU block ive probably got ~$900 in just the watercooling. Add another $160 or so for the gpu (block + 2 fittings)

Keep in mind my setup is pretty high end. You can get cheaper pumps and blocks and fans and things.

480mm $120
360mm $100
7fans $140
pump/res combo $160
aquaero 6 controller $160
tubing $20
cpu block $80
fittings $50 not including gpu
drain $50
fluid $20

Now granted you dont NEED an aquaero 6 but boy is it amazing. The fact that it can completely control your loop without any intervention from the pc is heavenly.

Im using a $600 Caselabs case but i think you can fit a 480 and 360 into a $90 fractal define S (or maybe its 2 360s, or a 480 and a 240) but you get the idea.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 9, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...You don't have those maglev fans, do you?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nah I have ek Vardar f3 120s.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

Nah I have ek Vardar f3 120s.

Oh. Got a few of those in my kit from them. They seem rather nice, speaking from a fan-ignorant perspective.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They are. Biggest problem is limited pwm range but they work fine in voltage control and the aqauero let's you fine tune it. I think u can get then to run at like 200rpm if I want. The maglevs are nice cause they can do pwm from 400-2200rpm.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The corsair ml120s (which I have and have also had Vardars) also don't have bearing noise so they are much quieter at sub 1000rpm where you don't hear the noise of the airflow

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

The corsair ml120s (which I have and have also had Vardars) also don't have bearing noise so they are much quieter at sub 1000rpm where you don't hear the noise of the airflow

What's the damage on them? I imagine it's not nice to your wallet.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

I imagine it's not nice to your wallet.

Watercooling.jpg
Ml120s in the 2 pack cost less than the ER vardars and about the same as the normal ones

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

Watercooling.jpg
Ml120s in the 2 pack cost less than the ER vardars and about the same as the normal ones

Huh. Guess I should consider them, then.

I'll buy anything with a shiny sticker on it.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Mofabio posted:

Oh man this thread brings me back. I spent summer after freshman year of high school trying to watercool my first PC, a 1.2Ghz AMD TBird. I'll never forget:

- Attempting to make a waterblock with junkyard copper, old wire, a dremel, JBWeld, and a soldering iron. Luckily the thing fell apart while lapping the base, would have been a timebomb.
- Attempting to make a giant evaporative cooler and trying to assure my parents that the humidity wouldn't rot my room from the inside-out
- The guy at Napa Auto Parts who was so incredibly down to help a strange child identify dimensionally-appropriate heater cores
- Learning that silicone tubing is water vapor permeable, trying to figure out why my water level kept dropping and why the pump would pull air after 3 months
- Slicing the gently caress out of my hands with a box cutter while building a reservoir out of junk to fix the above problem, starting my DIY scar collection
- Like so many future projects, doing a mediocre job and quitting at 90%

You kids today don't know how lucky you gots it, with your AIO's and your off-the-shelf phase change.

Wow, I totally forgot about cooling towers. They were all the rage for a good long time. I remember one guy had mounted his outside his house and piped water through his bedroom window.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
can we just change this to "cooling thread" because i feel like as a forum there's not enough fanchat

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have noctuas and they're good. They idle at ~200rpm and I can't hear them. That's my fan story.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My computer has noctua case fans (Lu's the 200mm that came with it) and the stock Intel cooler, and the NIB gentle typhoons someone dropped off for recycling at work just sit in a box, forlorn

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know of a good fan controller?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does anyone know of a good fan controller?

Aquaero 6 if you are baller.

Aquaero 5 LT if you are not.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

Aquaero 6 if you are baller.

Aquaero 5 LT if you are not.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Moey posted:

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Here ya go

Aquaero in the front runs everything. Only thing it relies on the pc for is gpu and cpu temp and it doesn't' actually use those for anything. It does all its fan control based on water temp and ambient temp.

Redoing the drain this weekend so its not just hanging down like that.

Ahh, redid drain finally

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 24, 2016

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I feel like one of those radiators might be completely unnecessary.

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

Not including GPU block ive probably got ~$900 in just the watercooling. Add another $160 or so for the gpu (block + 2 fittings)

Keep in mind my setup is pretty high end. You can get cheaper pumps and blocks and fans and things.

480mm $120
360mm $100
7fans $140
pump/res combo $160
aquaero 6 controller $160
tubing $20
cpu block $80
fittings $50 not including gpu
drain $50
fluid $20

Now granted you dont NEED an aquaero 6 but boy is it amazing. The fact that it can completely control your loop without any intervention from the pc is heavenly.

Im using a $600 Caselabs case but i think you can fit a 480 and 360 into a $90 fractal define S (or maybe its 2 360s, or a 480 and a 240) but you get the idea.

yakman y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PromethiumX posted:

More radiators is never unnecessary.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

PromethiumX posted:

Never.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PromethiumX posted:

Radiator all the space. They arn't very expensive and you really never have to replace them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

Here ya go

That is quite the nice setup. I don't do any pc gaming, but would love to build a custom loop like that.

I wonder how many nerds have watercooled their whitebox home server?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Is anyone aware of any large (200mm+) static-pressure fans better than the BitFenix Spectre Pro 230mm? It's a 200x30mm fan with 156CFM and 1.81mmH2O at 900rpm, which seems pretty decent. I just wish there was an option for a higher max RPM to achieve higher pressure, but I guess I can overvolt it to 14V or so.

I figured this was a good thread to ask since people mostly need static-pressure fans for radiators. My actual goal is experimenting with filtered positive pressure ventilation to make a dust-free computer, versus the normal case filters that just catch some dust but clog quickly. Since filters restrict airflow I need as much pressure as I can get.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Moey posted:

That is quite the nice setup. I don't do any pc gaming, but would love to build a custom loop like that.

I wonder how many nerds have watercooled their whitebox home server?

I think Linus has a water-cooled server in his rack om linustechtips

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

i think his home pc (and maybe his wife's) are rackmounted watercooled beasts. DIdn't he run cables through a wall for perfect silence, too?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

well why not posted:

i think his home pc (and maybe his wife's) are rackmounted watercooled beasts. DIdn't he run cables through a wall for perfect silence, too?

Yea, he had a advertising deal with belkin at the time so he was showing off their optical thunderbolt cables i believe.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

Ha. I will never be as cool as that guy.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Quick question for you guys. I recently had a prebuilt pc delivered as I'm not the most tech savvy person and everything else works fine but the water cooling system does not seem to be running at all when I boot up the system which had led me to believe that the pump is switched off or something although I can't seem to see a way to switch it on. What exactly am I looking for?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of system is it? I'm almost certain it's an all-in-one/closed loop cooler, but we need to know for sure.

Basically, just check that the pump and fans are plugged in. Should be some wires coming off of them. AIOs typically have pumps as a double unit, sitting on top of the coldplate. This means the pump power cables should be coming from the CPU. Also, have you noticed any high temperatures? Honestly, my Corsair H50 AIO was so quiet I couldn't tell if it was running by listening.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Post a few pics

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
It's a closed loop Alphacool DC-LT Ceramic and as for the pics these are the best I could muster, my phone camera is dogshit.

The display at the front of the pc is dead, nothing lit up and the liquid doesn't appear to be moving at all inside. The cabling on it is super tidy and everything is tucked so I'm not really confident with dissecting it all in poor lighting. Also I just checked and the fans are running, there's just no movement in the liquid or display.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 1, 2016

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Sorry for the double post but should the liquid be moving in the tubes or stationary?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It should be moving, but it'll be difficult to tell. Is there a reservoir that you can look at to see flow?

Sorry, phone posting.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
There is movement in the liquid in the reservoir but the tubes themselves don't show any movement at all.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If it looks like there's flow in the res, then it should be cooling. What are your temps like?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

There is movement in the liquid in the reservoir but the tubes themselves don't show any movement at all.

You shouldn't see any movement in the tubes unless you have air bubbles moving. You can get a flow indicator which is just a spinning x usually but yea, if the res water is moving a little on the top then it's flowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

If it looks like there's flow in the res, then it should be cooling. What are your temps like?

Between 28 and 35c when idling although I'm a little scared to push it hard if there's a problem with the cooling.