Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Oh what's this a new water cooling thread?

*AIO coolers*

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

PerrineClostermann posted:

Hey now, some of us run custom loops!

I can't contribute right now except for poo poo posting because I'm phone posting from the hospital.

It loving cracks me up how people continue to think AIOs are worth it in any way. You're paying more than an air cooler for less functionality, a pump that barely counts as a toy, and a total system volume that is just begging to burn out from a simple leak.

It's no wonder they're popular though. Idiot friendly, you get to talk about your cool "water cooled" system, and for whatever reason, Americans love to pay more form less.

And then people extrapolate the failure of these toys out to full custom loops and say poo poo like "water cooling is loud and pumps fail all the time"

Why there's a prime example of an idiot statement right at the top of this thread even.

Alereon posted:

I am, and honestly it was a mistake. Air cooling will always provide better cooling with lower noise levels because heat pipes move heat more effectively than pumped water, without the noise of a pump. Water cooling only makes sense in situations you need to pump the heat to a remote radiator due to space constraints, like in SFF PCs. On the plus side, putting a water cooler on your GPU lets you exhaust heat from the case in a manner similar to a blower, but without the noise.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 14, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Depends on the size. 120mm can routinely be $50-$60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

I've seen toy cars with a thicker radiator than that.

Just because a thing can be acquired cheaply doesn't mean it should be. That's basically 60$ for something hardly better than a stock cooler. Total surface area on that is likely half of a hyper 212 at best, not to mention the garbage fan on it and non adjustable pump.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 15, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

I ran an overclocked 2500k with one of these many years ago and it kept things cooler than a 212 at max load. :shrug:

Is the radiator thicker than that picture makes it look? The one there makes it look like a slim rad. And I double checked and I was thinking of the cryorig h7 when I was making the size comparison. I get those two mixed up.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't put a pump that only cost 60$ in any system I built so there's no way in hell I'd put in a pump that represented a fraction of that cost as part of a whole unit

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Once the five year warranty is up is replace it

I'm pretty sure they only had a two year warranty back then so he's playing with fire already. That was one of the things that corsair improved and a lot of companies didn't. I'm not sure of that actually accompanied switching to a better integrated pump or not though.

Edit; don't just chuck it though. You can use it for joke builds, potentially cut out the rad and do things with it, and use the base slug and mounting hardware for silly mods. (or sell it off cheap to someone else that wants it for that.) (I'm potentially one of those people from time to time.)

I've been in the hospital for eight days today, and I'm going crazy. Been spending a good chunk of my time just browsing overclockers and wanting to get back to doing stupid poo poo with old hardware.

I may finally get around to building myself a radbox that I can stick out the window when the summer starts to wind down too.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 16, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

Does anyone still run bong style watercoolers? Those supposedly got really great performance but were a bit of a pain maintenance wise.

I don't think anyone ever really ran bong as a long term solution. Maybe a long time ago and some weirdo that really liked having their room above 90% humidity?

Every now and then though someone will still do it as a giggle. It doesn't have to be that expensive.

Wouldn't be that bad if you had a bunch of tropical pets I guess.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wouldn't you just be running water in your loop, then? And have to deal with the problems associated with running only pure water.

Which is another reason is not a good long term solution. Your options are evaporate chemicals into the air you breathe, or deal with growth.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

But its a single continuous loop. It doesn't break off into multiple paths.

If you have a large enough reso with enough outlets(or just a big tub of water) , you can run two parallel loops off of it. Since the pumps are providing suction, it's not like one won't get water.

It needs to be pretty large and have vortex prevention and a number of other things though.

Not at all what welmu is asking though

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

It does makes a technical difference but to such a small degree that no, it really doesn't matter.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

That's not order of components. That's using the correct inputs and reading instructions.

I'm Still in the goddamn hospital and part of my daily activities is browsing various tech forums and reading the panicked posts of people who either overclocked or water-cooled for the first time without doing enough reading first.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

The first time I wanted to overclock anything I had to go buy a "special" (2b is only special when you're 13 and live in a town of 6000 people) pencil and draw a goddamn line on my goddamn processor. I made drat sure I wasn't going to gently caress up because we did not have the money to replace that poo poo.

BACK IN MY DAY.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah I realize I'm not actually that old but I'm almost thirty so I thought I'd try it out.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

God thick radiators are so ugly. If you want the extra surface area just buy a drat 3*3. They're cheaper anyhow, especially once you factor in the fans.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

headlor posted:

Yeah the radiator has a drain port on it. But cos it's upside down it's at the top without a lot of clearance from the case.

I think I'm going to do a v2 at some point with everything shuffled around and more consideration for draining and filling. But hey, first attempt and it cools the cpu, so still a win.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation

I'm not surprised you're using dye or colored coolant in a home system with language like that. Take that poo poo out when you put your drain in.

Welmu posted:

The 560xXx is ~150mm wide, which is relatively close the dimensions of how much a motherboard + GPUs take up space. A 3x3 would just be ungainly.

edit: I'll post a terribad Sketchup model once work ends so you can point out all the flaws.

3x3s are super easy to make standing or hanging rad boxes for that take up a lot less room than you'd think they would. And quick disconnects make them a lot easier to deal with these days than they used to be.

The water cooling is all about "user taste' though. And the taste of 20$ per fan (and increased noise) needed to properly use a thick radiator like that is not one I enjoy. All the power to you though.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Quick disconnects are pretty nice, but between the price and what their actually function is, why would you ever use more than one or two?

Reasons I want to buy a pair: makes external radbox easier to deal with; makes drainless systems a little easier to drain.

Throwing them in willy nilly between every component is throwing money away as you double the amount of fittings you're using and doubling the amount of potential leaks.

The hostility was for your disregard for the English language.

The bit about the dyes is because dyes and heavy colorants really shouldn't be in home systems long term. They stain poo poo, leave deposits, can eventually degrade (which leads to more deposits), and can lead to you putting off tearing down your system to fix something minor because you don't want to waste your fancy fluids. Then when you do it strip it down, it can make it harder to tell what's actually degradation and what's just staining if you're going over your block interiors.

Things like thick white or black are especially bad and is basically computer show fluid, not something you want to run 24/7.

Edit; lol my probation got me a title. Butt hurt bitches.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)