Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I'm going to watercool a threadripper 3970x is a ekwb Quantum Surface S360 radiator enough, or do I need a thicker one or more radiators or something like that? This bad boy takes 280 watts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Second question a lot of people are saying negative things about nickel in their loop. If I buy the Quantum Magnitude sTRX4 water block, it has nickel in it, and it's cheaper than the copper alternative that they sell. I'm pretty sure everything else is copper should I get copper for the water block too?

I was planning to use CryoFuel Clear premix.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

That's what I've heard. Horror stories about corrosion, it's completely hidden inside the block so I have no idea why ek would nickel plate it other than for product shots of the thing disassembled. Which makes me suspicious about the entire company.

So it won't likely corrode and deposit nickel flakes in my radiator and pump?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

That's reassuring to hear.

My suspicion is they have three reasons to add nickel plating, 1. it looks good. 2. it corrodes after a year so people have to replace them. 3. the corrosion damages the entire loop so you have to replace everything else too. This is heightened when they are nickel plating things people can't even see. On the ek webshop page there's all these warnings about additives you need in the fluid because of the nickel. It makes me nervous like well then why did you put it there?

But if you say it's not a big deal and you haven't had any problems then maybe my usually helpful general skepticism about everything is misplaced here.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Man there's a lot of shade being thrown at ek over at TPU comments, is everyone angry at ek or is everyone jealous that they can't afford ek products? They can't really be that bad, they have a good reputation I thought. Some people swear they wouldn't buy anything else.

https://www.techpowerup.com/294095/ekwb-lays-off-25-of-workforce-blames-lower-watercooling-sales

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm hesitating a purchase for 3 days now all because this one 80 cent item in my cart is out of stock https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-hdc-fitting-14mm-o-ring-6pcs I probably don't need spare o-rings for my first build right?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I mean I'm not going to damage an o-ring, all I have to do is not damage one. How hard could it be?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

My experience with a lot of companies is that when something goes out of stock they never know when it'll be in stock so I'm going to go ahead and make the purchase without spare parts. Oh baby Jesus. Who bought all the o-rings, are they clumsy or something?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I got two extra 90's, I'm only planning to use the two 45's. I shouldn't need more than a liter, it's just a 200 height pumpres and a reasonably short loop with 14mm tubes... I have a week off work coming up and my hope is that I can be back after taking my computer apart.

I bought extra thermal paste so in a pinch I'd be able to stick the air cooler back on.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 7, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Some info about what I'll be doing in a couple weeks.

I'm going to watercool a Threadripper 3970x, the primary reason is that I'm tired of my computer doing it's best impression of a jet engine. I tried to make it as practical as possible but I found that watercooling is still somewhat impractical honestly. The parts are too expensive, there's maintenance involved, there's too much to learn, this is a totally new sphere of knowledge well beyond what the average consumer is going to take on. There's got to be some kind of shift in the industry coming up, maybe that's all AIO's, maybe that's completely self contained computers that you can't tinker with at all. I dunno.

I also found cases are terrible for watercooling. Even ones that devote a lot of information in their manual to watercooling, I am using a Meshify 2 and I want the radiator on the top. There's not any space up there! It'll fit, but barely and only because I happened to buy 33mm tall ram.

EK-Quantum Magnitude sTRX4 D-RGB - Nickel + Acetal
EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 PWM D-RGB - Acetal
EK-Quantum Surface P360M - Black

I'm using 14mm acrylic and I'm going to attach the pump directly to the bottom of my case using a 120mm vertical bracket, there's 4 helpful little holes there. Currently the case has two 140mm intake fans on the front and a 140mm out. I'm thinking to remove part of the floor of the case in order to move the fan from the back of the case to the front, in order to maintain positive pressure, but I'll cross that bridge possibly in the build.

I've also bought a Phobya inline temperature sensor. I dunno how this is going to work but apparently I stick it in the loop somewhere and plug it into the motherboard at the appropriate location. It'll monitor my coolant and then I can use that to control the fan speed. This is going to cause me a headache probably, I can feel it coming. I bet not having anything plugged into the cpu fan header for example is going to make my computer look at me cross eyed.

But that's what I'm doing, I feel like I read way too much and I feel like a lot can go wrong even though I'm keeping it relatively simple.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm not opposed to disregarding the temp sensor entirely, should I use one? I'm pretty sure my computer will scream at me if the cpu gets hot regardless so I'll know there's a problem.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Helpful information thank you.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Hey dudes my first water-cooled loop, even though I haven't finished all of the runs yet and rgb isn't plugged in I couldn't wait to show it off.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 12, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Charles Leclerc posted:

Plug the pump into the CPU fan header? I would imagine without something plugged into that header the system either won't POST or BIOS will constantly moan at you.

For short, bursty loads it will be quieter and just as efficient to have the pump speed increase as you'll be passing a greater volume of coolant over heat-generating components, then you can set the fans to spin up to a higher RPM once you hit a certain temperature that it will usually only reach under sustained loads. For example, up to 70'c on my 3900X the fans remain at around 650RPM whilst the pump gradually increases in speed, this means that the fans only ever become noticeably audible when there's a heavy sustained load like a video encode or large file export.

Coolant temperature sensors are a good failsafe if you don't have a flow meter, but I wouldn't rely on it for setting fan curves to.

I'm realizing I don't think my motherboard has a header for the temperature sensor.

Motherboard manual.pdf

What should I do? I think I need a specialized fan controller that accepts a temperature reading, but we're entering a realm of customization with this thing that makes me uncomfortable. What would I need to buy?

E:

It's going in the loop either way because it makes this 45 clear the fan.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 18, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nah nobody here has threadripper, it was difficult to even get the mobo shipped. I've been using it about a year.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Seems like what I can find is Corsair iCUE. That uses proprietary fan headers so I'd have to buy new fans, I don't really want to do that.

E:

Aqua Computer Quadro - There's this thing, maybe I could hook it up and use the software, maybe?

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 18, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Warmachine posted:

Fun fact: The Octo provides 2-amp PWM headers, which is beyond the spec of most motherboard headers and allowed me to safely run a DDC pump off the header alone with no need for a separate molex connection. :science:

You are meddling with powers I can not possibly comprehend. Luckily I'm in Europe and I can buy one for 65 bones shipped. I think I'm going to get one... whatever, all this stuff cost so much money already. I mostly don't want to do it because I'm fighting against the system.

I'm giving my computer more points of failure and more things to pay attention to. I wanted to just use the motherboard and motherboard software, but it's lacking.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

After buying that and a rgb hub and a combo square-ruler tool, and the heat gun and the fans and the fittings and the dang distilled water and on and on I'm tapped out. If I have to spend 1 more dollar I will toss it all out!

Peek at my assembled water pump.

Top inlet, 45 degree out, drain port, on a vertical bracket anchored to the bottom of the case.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

> octo

I think it's interesting it comes with a general use sensor. It's to monitor case temperature?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Pretty nervous about these runs. I've never bent hard tubing before, they both run parallel out of the cpu, I feel like I won't have much problem measuring and getting those 90's done, they run parallel (one in front of the other) until they need to 45 off to their respective sockets on the radiator and the pump. Not sure how I'm going to measure it to get those 45's in the right place.

They also have to sort of bend outward at that point a little bit to hit their mark feel like I should have bought a ton of extra pipe.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I really hope this doesn't cause a problem. I noticed the threads are longer on the phobya temp sensor than the rest of my fittings. It doesn't look like it seats properly with ekwb.

If it is a problem why would they sell something like this?

E: yea it comes loose easily what the heck

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

My case offers two mounting positions for the radiator the right one there's a thing there that holds the side on. But there's not enough room on the left one either because of the components on the motherboard.

This is a nightmare. I feel like I'm in hell, who water-cools their system?

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Basically I think I need to front mount the radiator, which means I need to take apart the bottom of my case. Which means I don't have the right bracket for the pump.

So I have to order another temp sensor and a bracket. I don't know if I can find a store near me that sells both those things and can get them to me in a reasonable time.

It doesn't seem like any amount of planning is enough.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Ahh, the reason I'm miserable is because I went into it with the wrong attitude. I'll try.

Somewhat mitigated, I really want this rad on the top, I managed to just barely get it in routing the cables tightly around the heatsink on the motherboard. Won't be a problem? 😬

The issue with the position of the temp sensor it's an extender. Otherwise that 45 doesn't make it over the fan. I guess I could abandon the 45, for a more complicated bend, or put two 90s in that I'm not using.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Test fitting the pump shows I have to replan my loop. I'm not going to make the top inlet work, and I may need to turn my radiator around.

Also take apart my water block to swap the inlet (to right) and outlet (left).

Those cables mashed behind the radiator, maybe I could route them down.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I figured, no pain no gain

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm putting the temperature sensor on the pump outlet, unless anyone tells me not to.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I know right, the rad is massive. It's the middle thick 360 from ek, the case is meshify 2. I'm starting to see why water-cooling is put in xl cases. Can't imagine wanting to put this into a compact.

I just took apart my ek quantum magnitude block to reverse outlets, that was harrowing. I hope to God it still works.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Everything taken apart and back together I have a plan. Simpler is better.

Been posting on my phone all day, I want my workstation back. Next step bending pipes. Then it's loop testing, then all the finishing touches.

Hopefully, let's say three days. But I'm done for today.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

There should be enough room, doing 90 degree bends out of the cpu at the distance that goes into the radiator. There's a good inch or so.

If not, it's only an extension cable I can leave it plugged in and detach it at the back of the computer where it plugs into the real power cable.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Wish me luck

Pray for me.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Holy balls this is heckn' possible!

I don't know if I got lucky it doesn't look too too bad because I reheated it a lot of times.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

AutismVaccine posted:

Also you should cut out a few of the struts blocking your airflow. The many screws from the radi should be enough to keep the whole top intact.

Hesitant to do this, it looks like there's enough space between the radiator and the struts that it won't impede airflow by very much. What do you think?

I mean there's also a whole mesh over top of this too.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Got it almost.

This bastard here is too short by 1cm. Disappointing I thought I had it. My first failed tube. I measured, doubted myself, measured again, second measurement came out 1cm shorter.

Nobody ever told me I should measure three times. Also when I cut it too short I mangled the cut, it's all wonky. Like my brain knew I was doing something wrong.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Mine's from the ek webshop, it's 14mm hdc acrylic, rather than petg. But everywhere just about sells it in one form or another.

General notes about acrylic, it's very fun to bend. Some people have said it takes longer to heat up, but I haven't really had a problem with that since the material is less likely to bubble if you give it too much heat. It also very rapidly cools back down to a point where it maintains it's shape.

What I think is harder about acrylic as a material is you can't use a snazzy pipe cutter, you have to use a saw. It's a tiny bit clearer than some alternatives which helped lead to my selection. Ultimately I'm happy with the choice.

I've found the bending guide tool from ek indispensable as well. There's zero YouTube videos about it, but it makes my 90 and 45 bends uniform, without thinking too much.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm uh I'm indecisive.

After a couple of hours with this tube, I've come up with this result. It seems to fit. I'm going to step back and look at it again tomorrow.

It's got a much less symmetrical look than I intended when I started. The tubes run parallel up from the pump, and then do their own thing.

I think part of the issue is this is really hard.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Thanks man.

I am leak testing right now with distilled water. The pump behaved in a way I wasn't expecting, delayed response to me turning on or off the power. So I think it ran dry for a few seconds after rapidly displacing everything in my reservoir.

I hope I didn't cause damage.

It's on full blast, I think I'm supposed to leave it like this for 24 hrs. Then I'll drain it, put in the actual coolant.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Running dry for a few seconds won't harm anything.

And the piping looks great. I haven't bothered with hard tubing because I know I'd gently caress it up.

I gave myself a week and supplies necessary to do it, as a last resort putting it all back together the way it was.

Pretty good motivator

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

After a test boot unconnected to a monitor I assume the problem is a cpu fan warning. I should be able to enter the bios, when I get home later, and turn that warning off. Accessing the CPU fan header will require taking this apart again. It's just software from there, for aRGB settings, and pump speed. I plugged my pump into a fan header on my aquacomputer Quadro because I feel like that's going to be the easiest way to set it's speed.

I'm kind of winging it. Getting the computer plugged into a keyboard or monitor is hard without it being in it's proper place due to desk cable management. So I hope I will not have to troubleshoot too much.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Radiator fans spin up to full blast and then back to zero every second or two. It's like the voltage disappears and comes back again over again. Anyone know why that's happening? I have all three attached to a single header on my quadro. Also anyone recommend rgb software? The MSI Mystic Light program seems to be very limited in it's options and Openrgb doesn't appear to recognize my motherboard.

Thanks very much for your help.

E:

The fans gain and lose power even if I set it to a "power preset" eg. 100% always.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 28, 2022