Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

No-spill quick disconnects (QDC) are the best thing to happen to watercooling. I'm sad I got out of it before they became a thing (I only ever really used low-spill QDCs and holding a bunch of tissue beneath the fitting as you unplug it is kind of an adrenaline rush, what I like to live dangerously okay).

But they are real flow killers, so just go serial with two pumps if you have a ton in your loop. Then you get redundancy as well. I used to run 2 modded diyinhk DDC2s in serial. They weren't exactly quiet.

But QDCs make replacing components trivial. If you get a new GPU/block, all you have to do is disconnect, install new component, reconnect, then top up your resevoir and bleed for about 2 minutes. So much better than tearing down the loop, draining, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Quick disconnects are pretty nice, but between the price and what their actually function is, why would you ever use more than one or two?

Reasons I want to buy a pair: makes external radbox easier to deal with; makes drainless systems a little easier to drain.

Throwing them in willy nilly between every component is throwing money away as you double the amount of fittings you're using and doubling the amount of potential leaks.

For me, I stuck them in tubes on the blocks. That way, when I switched out my mobo/cpu/gpu I could just plug in new blocks into the existing loop without pulling out the radiators from the case.

I had an MM H2G0 matx cube case with 2 x 120x2 and 2 x 120x1 radiators and taking out the whole thing is just a huge pain in the rear end as the case doesn't give you much room unless you tear it all apart.

This was back when I was switching up graphics cards and CPUs fairly often. For a set-it-and-forget it, I could see why you wouldn't need them, but for any future loop I do, I will always make my CPU block and GPU block fully detachable without having to remove any other component of the loop. But even 4 QDCs is enough to hurt flow quite a bit.

Edit: It also makes testing and troubleshooting components trivially easy. This scenario has happened to me plenty of times:

Build closed loop, power on new system, no graphics output. Want to throw in another card to test it? Either you tear down the loop or try to slot another one in while holding the maybe-faulty one or perching it somewhere or maybe the PCIE x4 slot if your tubing allows that movement without kinking. Got a small matx case? Good luck.

Being able to just pull out the block+card, slot in a length of tubing with QDCs to "complete" the loop, and then you can throw in another card to test.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 27, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Vapochill feels like it's been around for ages. Or was around for ages. I don't even know if they're still around.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fragrag posted:

Reading this thread while on vacation in South East Asia makes me have crazy ideas on water cooling my hot rear end bedroom at my grandma's until I remember LinusTechTips did it and it was an absolute disaster.

Don't see why not. I live in SEA and summers here hit 34~5c at 90% humidity and I watercooled just fine without an aircon. In the end, watercooling just keeps the delta between ambient and max temps lower.

Unless you meant trying to actually cool your bedroom with water?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I keep wanting to get back into watercooling and build my own "semi-custom" loop by putting quick disconnects on everything and then driving it all with two DDCs in serial to get past the flow restriction.

But I know it'd be a huge waste of money since I don't swap out components nearly as often as I used to when QDCs would actually have been useful. That was over 6 years ago, and I'm now regrettably far too gunshy to drop serious dosh on watercooling anymore.

I like EK's semi-custom expandable loops with the QDCs where you can add in a GPU to the CPU loop.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Heck it wouldn't be difficult to prefill your own radiator with quick disconnects. I mean, if you're starting from scratch may as well buy the prefilled stuff, but if you already have components just slap QDCs on them and prefill using a fill line.

You won't fully bleed the system that way, but it's a heck of a lot quicker than doing it the traditional, turn on pump for 2 seconds, stop, fill res, turn on pump for 2 seconds, stop, fill res, method.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

The other 10% is "it's cool designing and putting together a loop."

Basically rule of cool no matter which way you spin it.

I used to be way into it, even after a bad start (shorting my mobo because of a leak), but over about a 4-year watercooling career, found it to just be tedious in the end. At one point I had three (!) GTX 295's watercooled in a serial loop with my CPU and two modded DIYINHK DDC's driving it all through 2x120x2 and 2x120x1 rads. Or at another point had QDCs on my GPU block, CPU block, and each rad, allowing me to effortlessly change out components (which I of course never loving did).

I've still got sitting in a box the old-style spaced PA120.2's from Thermochill which can't sell a drat since they don't adhere to standard fan spacing, and have been thinking about getting back into it with my MM H2G0 case specifically cut for those rads.

But every time I even think about it for maybe 5 minutes, I realize how much of a hassle it is, and how the relative gains versus a good air cooler are now slimmer than ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I got old and no longer care if my rig looks cool or benchmarks well, and it's certainly not worth the effort trade-off and high cost to me anymore.

But every now and then I take out the rads and peer at my case and consider it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I kind of feel like breaking a PC component when doing your first custom loop is pretty much a rite of passage, but maybe I'm just trying to feel better about how clumsy and careless I was the first time.

And the second.

I learned an important lesson that you don't just trust your hand-screwed in barbs. Take a spanner and give it another quarter turn.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Paper towels everywhere.

My first ever loop I leaked right onto my motherboard. Fun times.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Deuce posted:

And this is a youtube professional computer guy!

Given that the RAM is lighting up as he powers the pump... does that mean he's got his loving motherboard plugged in while filling!?

lol he must have it plugged in. I can't really tell but it looks like just beneath the ram he's got the 20 pin in.

Poor bastard. Forgetting to screw in the cap on the back of a GPU block is already pretty indefensible since it's like the most obvious thing you absolutely need to do, but then filling / leak testing with his mobo plugged in and no freaking paper towels anywhere is even worse.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Solumin posted:

Also keep in mind that EKWB is based in Slovenia, so you probably don't want to order directly from them unless you're in the EU.
I bought all my parts from Performance PC's. I have no real complaints besides their very clunky website. They seem to have the full range of EK parts, too, and they sometimes do free shipping deals if you're buying watercooling stuff.

Also, buy a couple extra connectors.

When I was at the top of my WC game (2 x GTX 295 waterblocks + CPU + 2 + Thermochill PA120.2s + 2 x 120.1 Black Ice SR2 rads + 2 x DDC2 DIYINHK modded, letmejustlistmycredsthanks), Performance-PCs was my go-to store.

However, they do overcharge on shipping as I later confirmed with weights / shipping costs. Not sure if that's the case now as this was 5+ years ago, but that rubbed the the wrong way. As someone who is part-owner of an online store, we don't try and make money with excessive shipping charges, nor try to play it off as a quirk of the automated "calculator".

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

See if they'll cross-ship. Or return for refund and buy another one and eat the shipping cost.

Not worth a leak.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Deuce posted:

Leaky EK monoblock update:
Took a couple days on the back and forth (largely due to the time zone difference, I suspect). They first offered to have the unit picked up and shipped to them for repair. I asked for a replacement unit because I wasn't willing to trust a refurbished unit sitting directly on top of an expensive CPU and motherboard. (plus, I paid full price for a new product, I should get a new product) They shipped a new unit out that day, and scheduled DHL to come to my place and pick up the defective unit. The new one actually arrives before DHL comes for the old one.

Many of their products are on Newegg/Amazon, but it's good to know that for niche/new products you have to order from them directly you get good service when needed.

That is impressive service. To be honest with you I thought they wouldn't offer to cross ship.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Is this the proper order/orientation for an AIO cooler mounted to the top of the PC? Or should I be taking cold air from the outside and blowing it down through the radiator into the case?

What about if you mount the rad on the front to intake cool air, and exhaust hot air out the top?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hello! What kind of trouble are you looking at trying to run a 320w 3080 and stock 10700k off a single 240 or 280mm rad (custom loop FC GPU and 'monoblock' cpu+vrm in an NR200) if all you do is game, and the most intensive CPU game you play currently is BFV, and will play soon is the new Hitman games or Cyberpunk?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 1, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That is one thicc rad. Are those QDCs, and how are you going to place it?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

drat that distro block is cool as. I wish something like that existed for the NR200, maybe replace the right side panel or something. Let others see the mess of cables I stuffed back there!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

sarr posted:

This is pretty wild if it works like the video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UiRv0nDch0

Filling a system actually becomes cool instead of a pita

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

At 1:29 that actually looks like soft tubing? Or do my eyes deceive me?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can you run two different pumps in the same loop without damaging one? Searching the interweb is giving me some mixed responses, from no you will cause cavitation in your pump and 'pressure spikes' to yes, impellers offer very little resistance and the weaker pump will only accelerate the flow less.

Basically I'm looking at throwing in a Barrow DDC CPU block combo into a loop that only has the Alphacool DC-LT pump which is significantly less powerful.

E: Adding CPU into the Alphacool GPU-only AIO loop, and also looking for pump redundancy hence a pump-cpu block rather than just block. If it'll be an issue, I'll just opt for the Alphacool pump-cpu block that has the same pump.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SourKraut posted:

You're not going to get cavitation, it just may cost you a little performance on paper that you probably won't even notice.

This isn't directed at you, but a lot of people really have a poor understanding of cavitation and the conditions that initiate it, and like to blame any noise/damage/etc. on "cavitation".

Thanks! Glad to hear mixing pumps isn't going to be a huge issue then.