Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Water Cooling used to be the realm of urban legends, absurd tales of the most determined technomancers achieving insane clocks via arcane watery arts. Whether it's tales of submerged PIII systems occupying a bathroom or hooking up your own homebrew tubing with an old car radiator, water cooling has a general perception of being unwieldy and dangerous. Only those with too much time and money can make it work.

That's changed today. While custom loops still remain a bit more challenging, requiring larger wallets and a bit of work, the advent of closed loop coolers (or All In Ones) has brought water cooling to the masses. Coolers like the Corsair H50 were the first to seriously bring water cooling into the mainstream, allowing you to simply mount a CPU block/pump to your motherboard, and a radiator to your case. Even customizing your water cooling loop has gotten easier, with open, expandable coolers like the EKWB Predator allowing you to purchase additional blocks (in some cases even pre-filled) and install them in your existing AIO. On the custom side of things, more and more manufacturers are offering professional, quality solutions to tubing, blocks, fittings, and radiators. No matter what you're thinking of, cooling your parts with water has become easier and sleeker. No longer is it the realm of virgin wizards experimenting with leak-prone equipment.

For the most part, though, water cooling is about aesthetics, about the hobby, and in some cases about the noise. Temperatures on good, modern heatsink+fan solutions are more than enough for most overclocking setups, provided you have decent airflow. Plus, the HSF solutions are cheaper, too. If you're looking to save money, you're in the wrong place.

I only recently got my PC watercooled. I'd run my 2600k under an H50 for five years, and finally put in an EKWB kit. It runs great, and I hope to get a GPU block sometime soon, but I still have a lot to figure out. If I get everything figured out (or if someone else wants to :effort: post) I'll put a guide or something up. The hardest part is figuring out what to buy.

Any goons thinking of using water? Any else already cooling with water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People talk about pump noise, but even when I was testing the loop and had only the pump running I couldn't hear anything. I believe it's a ddc pump; I used an ekwb l360 kit.

By the way, kits are a great way to save money on building a custom loop.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aunt Beth posted:

Water cooling is only practical IMHO at scale, and generally only at infrastructure rather than component level (I.E. back of rack radiator cooling). It only makes sense to cool via water at the chip level when talking enterprise-class RISC machines, mainframes, or supercomputers. Consumer stuff is all designed to be air cooled because air cooling Just Works.

Oh definitely. If someone wants to cool a component, it's air all the way. If they want to cool a little quietly or don't want a big heat sink hanging off their mobo, they go AIO. You only build a custom loop if you want to build a custom loop. They're super expensive and only provides a small boost in cooling performance.

My kit for cooling a CPU cost 270 USD. My H50 was 80 retail, and I only got it because it was 50% off. Even so, a good HSF performed as well and would be five bucks cheaper at the time. Water cooling is a hobby, not a necessity.

(Though that h50 turned out to be a great choice, given how lovely my air flow was in that htpc case I used)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Failures?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, sure, definitely.

I do just wanna say that it's not some leak-prone nightmare, though. My H50 performed well despite being bent and twisted this way and that, and the custom loop I put together as a first-timer worked.....first time. It's all actually relatively straightforward. It's just that watercooling is generally something you do for the sake of watercooling.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Custom water blocks are expensive. I think the one I need for my 1070 is around 140 shipped.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey now, some of us run custom loops!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've had more air coolers fail than water coolers, actually. My arctic freezer pro 7 (iirc) failed; I had to replace the fan with one I harvested from a case fan and super glued on to the heat sink. I've had two coolers fail similarly on my xfx 6870s.

That said, it is true that water cooling failures could be much worse, if a leak is involved. And I have had a lot more air cooled devices than water cooled.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't you just be running water in your loop, then? And have to deal with the problems associated with running only pure water.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen some loops sharing a reservoir between a cpu and gpu loop.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The order of your parts in a loop doesn't really matter much, right? Other than having your res feed your pump.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Those are always face palm inducing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Back in my day" you had to pay a thousand dollars to get an unlocked multiplier.

FSB OCing, for when you need the entire machine to run faster.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Mayhem's nano coolant supposed to not have those issues?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The answer is you don't use aluminum in your loop ever. Common metals are copper, nickel (usually plated on copper), and brass.

Parts are easy enough to source, but typically only available from a few retailers. For instance, in the US, you're limited to Frozen CPU (which had a very wonderful bit of drama and unprofessionalism, look it up) and Performance PCs (which has had many customer service nightmare stories told, but worked fine enough for me).

As for leaks, you avoid them by just doing your connections properly. I built my first loop this summer, did the 24 hour leak test and found nothing. The compression fittings in the kit I used (L360 from EKWB) worked great, and were easy to use.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AIOs are fun and cheap compared to custom loops. More power to you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

what if you just hook up a laser cutter chiller to a cooling loop

Chilled loops are a thing and really cool, but require extra effort and cash.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just keep your box dehumidified, duh!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

...That's a lot of cooling.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Numinous posted:

Back in the day I had an 80W peltier cooler connected to a dangerden water block and radiator. Kept my CPU at a nice and cool 60 deg F all day long. Went the full monty with vaseline in the CPU connector and silicone sealant around the whole setup - custom water reservoir made from home depot components and brass barbs. Good stuff!

It was a fun ride but I went back to air cooling eventually.

Subambient is loving awesome even if it's a headache. Did you take any pictures?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Peltiers seem scary/unproductive in the end, though. They generate heat right in the same spot.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fragrag posted:

Reading this thread while on vacation in South East Asia makes me have crazy ideas on water cooling my hot rear end bedroom at my grandma's until I remember LinusTechTips did it and it was an absolute disaster.

I wouldn't hold anything linus does as an actual representation of the thing in question.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alereon posted:

Linus was using a bedroom as an office that was full of a bunch of high-end computers that heated the room up very badly. The idea was to make a massive shared watercooling system that would pump the heat from all of the systems into a radiator outside the house, keeping the room and thus the people and computers inside cooler. It turns out that it basically didn't work for poo poo. It was way more work than expected, there were leaks, and most of the heat was lost in the pipes before it got outside anyway so the room was still hot and cooling still sucked. And then after it was all done they got evicted and had to tear it down to move! Here's the start of the saga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc

LinusDrillTips is great for comedy. They used copper piping for the whole thing.

If you remember, copper is an excellent material for transferring heat. :psyduck:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deuce posted:

Well, a big part of LTT's whole thing is "can you do this?" To which the answer very often is "technically yes, but you shouldn't." This particular example ended up as "not really."

Insulated pipes would have kinda worked. A much better option was obviously "put an air conditioner in the window, jackass," but that wasn't really the point. Like bong coolers and LN2, sometimes you just gotta do poo poo for the sake of doing poo poo.

They did make me aware that this is a thing and now I totally want to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5d7ynJXiZc&t=273s

They put that same approach to hardware/software solutions that are vital to their business, though. Look at their dumb saga with their server. That raid setup was the dumbest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VulgarandStupid posted:

I saw the Linus water cooled room thing and another streamer who ran his radiator down to the basement, but it got me thinking. Why not just put the computers in a basement and then run thunderbolt and whatever else I/O you need up to the room you need it in? That way you pretty much just have monitors and hubs in your work space, and you can run the cheapest, loudest air cooling you want.

This is definitely a thing people do (when they have money to have nice solutions). Monoprice and other retailers have what you need to run poo poo like USB and HDMI and DP through walls, so you could stick your PC in a room that's kept at a low temp, and only have accessories and screens and whatnot at your desk.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't mind sticking my NAS in a closet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...You don't have those maglev fans, do you?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

Nah I have ek Vardar f3 120s.

Oh. Got a few of those in my kit from them. They seem rather nice, speaking from a fan-ignorant perspective.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

The corsair ml120s (which I have and have also had Vardars) also don't have bearing noise so they are much quieter at sub 1000rpm where you don't hear the noise of the airflow

What's the damage on them? I imagine it's not nice to your wallet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

Watercooling.jpg
Ml120s in the 2 pack cost less than the ER vardars and about the same as the normal ones

Huh. Guess I should consider them, then.

I'll buy anything with a shiny sticker on it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know of a good fan controller?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PromethiumX posted:

I feel like one of those radiators might be completely unnecessary.

More radiators is never unnecessary.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of system is it? I'm almost certain it's an all-in-one/closed loop cooler, but we need to know for sure.

Basically, just check that the pump and fans are plugged in. Should be some wires coming off of them. AIOs typically have pumps as a double unit, sitting on top of the coldplate. This means the pump power cables should be coming from the CPU. Also, have you noticed any high temperatures? Honestly, my Corsair H50 AIO was so quiet I couldn't tell if it was running by listening.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It should be moving, but it'll be difficult to tell. Is there a reservoir that you can look at to see flow?

Sorry, phone posting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If it looks like there's flow in the res, then it should be cooling. What are your temps like?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That sounds fine. See how high they get.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which types of tubes do you have to worry about dissolving plasticizer with?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Welp. Ordered the parts for my 6 month flush/upgrade. Adding on to an EKWB L360 kit, into a Corsair Air 540 case.

Hope I didn't miss anything...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The back? As in a backplate? I already have an EVGA SC 1070, which comes with a backplate already. Should I have ordered the EKWB backplate then?

Also, the ML120s are twice the price of the SP120s. Sixty bucks for a pair of fans is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...What the gently caress, Performance PCs.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/corsair-120mm-ml-series-ml120-pro-single-pack-fan.html

Welp, lemme see if I can cancel part of the order.

e: Wait, Performance PCs has the Pro fan. What's the difference?