Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solumin posted:

(from earlier in this thread.)

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is prime95 using AVX?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yes.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus that's an expensive build.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Depending on heat generation, you might be able to run them quite low, actually. My OC'd 2600k and 1070 generate so little heat I can run the fans at minimum with 240+360mm and have very comfortable temperatures.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thermaltake is aluminum parts iirc, so avoid them if you are going to mix brands. I just went EKWB for my loop, it's been pretty great so far.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Teflon tape is some crazy poo poo, can confirm. I don't think I've ever used it for water cooling in particular, but it makes great seals.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good case that's affordable and supports large radiators?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, nearly every case can support a single 240 or 360, and usually a 280 as well, but multiple radiators or even longer ones are rarer, it seems. That's mostly what I'm after, getting a 360 and 240 in this Corsair Air 540 was a pain in the neck.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I rather like it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I think you could probably sell that for a decent price. People occasionally want them, and they're not made anymore iirc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Iirc, basically all those shields result in increased temperatures. They don't provide any real improvement in thermal flux

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My H50 never made any noticeable pump noise :shrug:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So are there any colored fluids that aren't a pain to flush compared to a clear fluid? Pastel worries me. Also, what's the best choice for low maintenance clear tubing?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Watch this: https://youtu.be/xNAMxZgvves

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My system's been running fine, and all I did was assemble it in case, tighten, and leak test without touching for a night. Used the L360 R2. Fans were spinning, but I don't think that matters.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The general rule of thumb is, iirc, 120mm for each component, plus another 120mm for each overclocked component, plus 120mm for headroom. Probably a bit overkill but it works.

I have a 360mm and a 240mm for my 2600k and 1070. My temperatures are amazing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A single 120mm radiator on my H50 only kept my OC'd 2600k to around the 60s. An 80mm....isn't much.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a disturbing desire to build a water-cooled ITX system in a tiny case with an external, quick-detachable radiator.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I run a CPU + GPU loop off of a single pump and don't really see a need for a second. My pump is honestly a little on the weaker side, they don't sell this one on its own.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-l360-r2-0

I tossed in another EKWB 240 radiator and just their 1070 block, no backplate.

Reservoirs can be as big as you want, they're mostly for looks. Once you have a small one, you don't really need more. They do make it easier to fill the loop without running the pump dry, though.

You need 2 fittings for each device in the loop, plus fittings for any other thing you do to the loop. If you have two radiators, a pump/res combo, a CPU block, and a GPU block like me, that's 10 fittings. If I add in a drain valve, that's another fitting or two, depending on how I do it. This assumes you're building a serial loop (build a serial loop, parallel doesn't give you any real benefits).

10/16 and 12/16 refer to the inner diameter/outer diameter of the tubing. You need fittings that match your tubing and vice versa. These measurements from EKWB are in millimeters, and my kit used 10/16. 10/16 is equivalent to 3/8" x 5/8" tubing, iirc, if you needed to know both imperial and metric.

The amount of tubing you need varies based on the routing you do, but I found that 10ft/3m is enough for 2 radiators, pump/res, and two blocks. Depending on your confidence and needs, you may want to get more just in case.

Scissors (or shears, anyway) are enough to cut through most of this soft tubing.

EK Coolant concentrate is enough to fill my loop with a little left over. There are additives and all sorts of fancy coolants if you want to be a kid again. I've been eyeing Primochill Vue

The included thermal paste isn't the world's best, but it's more than adequate. Same with the thermal pads.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which measurement? Being compression fittings, you just need the appropriate ID and OD for tubing to work with EK's fittings. EK lists their tubes in categories based on dimensions, and most places will have it displayed prominently. Example: https://www.amazon.com/PrimoFlex-Advanced-8in-ID-8in-OD-Tubing/dp/B00A0Q55MC/

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, no. The fittings are entirely what determine which tubes you use. The L360 kit was a pretty good starting point and gave me some degree of confidence when choosing all these parts, though. Just keep in mind EKWB is kind of a more premium manufacturer, as far as pricing goes.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I pretty much refuse to buy any thermaltake anything. They're all so cheesy, and their water cooling parts are all aluminum, aren't they?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My old H50 was edged out by HSFs half the cost.

It also was a lot more convenient than them, since the cooling fins were mounted to the case and I didn't have a big block hanging off my motherboard.

As my professor used to say, there are engineering tradeoffs to every decision.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I had my 2500K cooled by one, in a MITX case with no room for anything other then a stock intel sink.

I liked that system but needing to unplug one wire meant having to take the whole thing apart like Tetris.

I kept my 2600k cooled on a case with horrible traditional air flow for years. Good stuff.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kloa posted:

I only went with water cooling since my graphics card blower gets really loud, and the cars stays hot. How it never gets above 65C.

You won’t gain much on the CPU side for cooling, but definitely can on a video card.

My 1070 doesn't hit much more than 37c on load now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
GPU blocks directly contact the die. In CPUs, 9 times out of 10 you're transferring through the IHS and not directly contacting the die.