Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

kirtar posted:

None that are reading s being on the CPU itself in HWinfo, though if MB sensors count then it's reading CPU maxing out at 60.5. Tdie is also Tctl for this Ryzen processor. I do not have a hot side temp sensor, and the one I do have is between the pump and GPU block (loop order pump/res->gpu->CE 140->CPU->PE 360->pump/res if it matters). I might try changing the pump speed later and seeing if that helps. The motherboard is set to have the D5 at ~60% minimum, but if the sensor feedback is to be believed it's actually running way below that at ~1800 RPM.

Is that one of the modern D5 Revos? If so, just let it run at 100%, its stupidly quiet if you have it well mounted and makes way more noise changing RPMs than it does holding maximum RPM.

I forgot one detail that might be helpful. I don't know if Ryzens do the same thing that Intels do, but with an Intel the prime95 small FFT test causes instant unrealistic temp load because its a highly SSE accelerated instruction. I just did it and compared with intels XTU load test (a shitton of linpack threads) and the differences are quite stunning. In about 2 seconds prime95 small FFT gets my CPU temp up to 86c with a peak not long later at 96c, vs intel XTU (linpack) only getting it up to 60c. The whole time my loop temp stayed unmoved at 28c.

Doing some very brief searching on the internet made me think that this might be the case for Ryzen as well, as I'm seeing a lot of people saying Prime96 small FFT getting up to 73-75c on all kinds of coolers, vs a more realistic app like AIDA etc only getting it to about 60c.

Here's my monitoring app gamergraf showing this detail.
https://snapshot.raintank.io/dashboard/snapshot/SP8hvPeFleX20b7L085OwsiRfO9Ek9l3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Scholtz posted:

Is this the proper order/orientation for an AIO cooler mounted to the top of the PC? Or should I be taking cold air from the outside and blowing it down through the radiator into the case?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BurritoJustice posted:

My first set one of them had the high pitched noise. It was incredibly poo poo and irritating, but the second set I exchanged them for don't have it at all. It was a sound just from the bearing and it seemed due to damage or something faulty. It seems it's a problem that some of them have out of the gate.

Now that I have fully working ones they're fantastic.

I have some ML120s for my rad fans, they sound way better than my Vardars at the same RPM, especially around 850rpm where the vardars and GTs have a bit of bearing noise.
Also, their review on thermalbench.com show they even outperform Vardars and GTs in CFM/noise by a considerable amount, first 120mm fan design to do that since the GTs were released over 10 years ago.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BurritoJustice posted:

I own both and can happily say Corsair ML all day long. They are greyish blades however so they won't be as clearly lit with the frames as the EK fans I think. The MLs just sound so drat pleasant.

Also hey, :australia: water-cooling buddies. Just got a big pile of fittings from PCCG today myself.

Seriously the ML120s hands down beat Gentle Typhoons and Vardars (a remade GT clone that competes right on with a GT). They are insanely great.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Scarecow posted:

now thats the Pro versions, will the standard MLs do jsut as well?

They are the same, the Pros are all black and come with the built in rubber dampeners. I have 6x standards on my rads.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Scarecow posted:

just hope that not having the rubber dampeners wont mean they are louder

I've got a Corsair 900d with my rads in the bottom, the fans are basically right up against the side of the case that I would be able to hear. They don't rattle at all, they are very well balanced.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Truga posted:

2200-3000 range?? My fans run at 200rpm 99% of the time, I've yet to see them go above 1000 even when I was doing benchmarks in the summer. :v:

That's just a picture from the selection of "comparable" fans, not the rpms tested.
The fan kills it at all ranges, read the review it's quite detailed.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Scarecow posted:

Ok well lets hope the ml120 ml140s with out the rubber mounts are ok

They are fine, they are very well balanced and part of the maglev bearing setup means they shouldn't be transferring very much energy to the fan mount anyways.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I leak test without fans running so any drips that might exist don’t evaporate.
Other than that, leak test after assembly.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Deuce posted:

A GPU will be fine with a 240 rad.

If a 280 is an option do that. 140mm fans can move much more air per rpm (and thus noise) than 120mms can. I upgraded my 480+240 to a 420+280 with the same fans (ml120 vs ml140) because my new 8700k + asus maximus X formula (VRM waterblock) was jacking the temps up enough the 6x ML120s had to hit 1700rpm to hold +5c delta-T. Now with the ML140s on the 420+280 they hold +4 delta-T at ~950rpm which is much, much quieter.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Water cooling doesn’t make you computer generate more or less heat (unless it was previously throttled) it’s just more effective at getting the heat out of the case.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Don Lapre posted:

Technically incorrect. The cooler you make components the less power they will use. Though in this case it will not be noticable, but the effect is there.

I don’t know that the differences in temperature reduce the electrical resistance by a large enough of a degree to reduce the electrical load but technically this is true.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Don Lapre posted:

Its one of the big selling points of liquid coolling in datacenters.

At a data center when you deal with hundreds to thousands of watts per square meter of floor space even a 5% drop in electrical resistance makes a big difference.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Fair enough! Sorry for all the questions, but what's the best 140mm high static pressure fan with good acoustics?

Corsair ML140, these fans are so insanely good

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Good to know, I'm wondering what the be all and end all 140mm rad fans are, I don't mind replacing them.

Guess it isn't Gentle Typhoons any more? E - oh, I've got some of these already. I might just use those.

The Be Quiet AIO is interesting, full copper internals and refillable, and non Asetek pump.

Gentle Typhoons are 120mm

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Corsair ml140 best 140mm rad fans?

What's the best for quietness 120mm case fan?

Rip op :(

ML120, but if you want quiet you go 140mm

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Water Cooling: This isn’t even my final fitting

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking to build my first custom loop. I used the EKWB configurator and it is suggesting a 360 rad up front and a 120 rad in the back. I'm running an overlocked 8700k and a rtx2080ti. Are two radiators overkill? Should I just go with a 360 up front?

You doing CPU+GPU in the loop? Go bigger imo. 2x 360 will do you well. If you can do 420s that would be better as 140mm fans are superior for cfm/noise

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Partial Octopus posted:

Oh drat I underestimated how much I needed. I am doing cpu+gpu in the loop. The most I can fit in my case is a 240 up top and a 360 up front. Will it be super loud with that config?

Probably. I certainly wouldn’t go less than 240+36, but given the investment you are walking into, I would look into a case that does at least 2x 360 if not 2x 420.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I know how thermal physics works, I was looking for better ways to interface my system with ambient air since it looks like the temperature differential I was experiencing didn't dissipate my total power load fast enough through a thick 360mm rad.

What’s your loop delta-T? If it’s higher than +5c over ambient then you can get that down with more rads. Mine is typically 3-4c under full gaming load and about 5c if I go with some insane synthetics.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just installed a water temperature sensor and moved fan control of the radiator ones to that. Finally that spooling up of the fans due to the Ryzen precision boost temperature ratchet is gone.

Also, I still hate my H700 piece of crap case.

What's a good temperature to settle for the water?

Depends on ambient and how much rad performance you have. I maintain about +3-+4 C delta-T

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TigerXtrm posted:

That either takes a shitload of rads or your rig sounds like an air tunnel even in idle. I suppose it depends heavily on the loop.

9900k @ 5ghz + 1080ti + asus Maximus formula X VRMs.
I’ve got 2x 420s + 280 with ML140 fans at pretty low RPM. I think about 600rpm idle and 900rpm full load, so it’s pretty much silent.
When you’ve got a 900d you can go pretty crazy with rads.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Here are a few of my experience and observations with watercooling.

#1: If you are going to do it, do it for fun and not because you are expecting sick performance gains. You can get some really great and stable overclocks, but you are going to be spending upwards of $400 pretty quickly. It is more of a fun added hobby and it takes a bit of work to put together and maintain. However, if you really want to quiet down your system, it can be a really great tool.

#2: Get a big case. That Fractal Mini is going to be really, really, really hard to work in and it will not be very quiet because you'll be blasting the fans at very high speed. Its just too small to put a respectable cooling system in.
Make sure it can at least fit one 420 radiator (3x140 fans). A 420 radiator has about 10-15% better raw cooling performance, but 140mm fans like the excellent ML140 can move a TON of air at very low noise levels and so the real benefit is a lot higher. Seriously these things beat the crap out of the ML120s. I've got a stupidly huge Corsair 900d with 2x420mm and 1x280mm cooling off my CPU, GPU and VRMs but I am crazy like that.

#3: Get some inline temperature sensors and a aquaero quadro. You want the temperature sensors so you can tie your fan curve to the temperature of the coolant, as thats what you are actually cooling with ambient air and what will be cooling the rest of your components. The Aquero Quadro is a mini fan controller that has some excellent control options and configuration software and is CHEAP. Its like $35 on Amazon and their lightweight software is fantastic. 4 fan headers, 3 temp headers, flow sensor and more. My entire rig runs off it and its great.

#4: Water cooling (and cooling in general) is all about Delta-T. Ultimately your limiting point for component temperature is your ambient air temp, and the power of your watercooling loop to keep the coolant as close to that as possible.
Right now if I play a heavy load game like satisfactory at 3440x1440 res, all options tweaked up, my heavily overclocked 9900k+2080ti pull down about 577w total. My 3 radiators + ML140 fans keep my loop average Delta-T at +2c over ambient. This low loop temp means my component temps are pretty low. The CPU avg +27c over ambient, GPU avg +12c over ambient and VRMs avg +18c over ambient. Every extra degree of loop temp over ambient is a direct increase to your components temperatures. ie loop temp = +10c delta-t means my CPU would be +37c over ambient, etc

#5: EKWB makes probably the best waterblocks around, but I'm not crazy about their radiators. I prefer HardwareLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTS or GTX if you have the room.

#6: EKWB D5 Revo is stupidly quiet. I run mine at 100% all the time and its by far quieter than my ML140 fans at 700rpm. If I have all of my fans off in my system after the pump is spun up its almost inaudible.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I’m thinking of putting my MS Sea Hawk EKX 1080ti w/EKWB waterblock up on SAMart if anyone is interested.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I wouldn’t build a custom loop in that system, in order to cool a high wattage CPU/GPU with a 280 you will need the fans running very high RPMs under load and end up with higher component temps.
I looked at some custom loop builds in that system and to say they were tight as hell is an understatement. The GPU was touching the front radiator fans, which means some GPUs won’t work at all.
Some people like the challenge and do system builds because they can, but for a daily driver PC and a first time build I wouldn’t recommend it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
My MSI 1080ti Sea Hawk EK X is up for sale on SA Mart here, factory EKWB waterblock weeeeeee
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887229&perpage=40#post494275170

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TigerXtrm posted:

Oh, that controller looks badass indeed. Much better than the restrictive poo poo my Asus board lets me do (no, you're NOT allowed to turn your fans off, how dare you!). Definitely getting this at some point.

I was REALLY hoping I could do the more advanced feature of the full Aquaero where you plug in your ambient + loop temp to create a virtual temp sensor that is delta-T and then set your fan curve according to delta-T, but it doesn’t have that.

I really like the Quadro, it’s such an easy to use inexpensive solution, but I still kinda want to go full sperg and upgrade to an aquaero 6 LT just for delta-t fan curves for everything.
You can tie into hwinfo64 for sensors to set fan curves to as well, so if you had ram fans you could even make a delta-t fan curve for your ram...
God damnit I think I just talked myself into an Aquaero 6 LT.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Fedule posted:

Well alright. The extreme caution surrounding the case is duly noted. Time will tell whether it eventually compels me to rehouse my system.

While all that mulls over, please tell me about restrictiveness! I can find lots of enthusiasts excitedly comparing how restrictive certain components are compared to certain other components but I don't really know what to make of or do with any of the numbers that result. It makes sense broadly that more restrictiveness would mean a beefier pump needed, but I don't have the context to translate this into buying considerations. For example, I have learned that the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS 280 is possibly the most restrictive 280mm radiator on the market. It's twice as restrictive as most rads of that size! Wow! That sounds really bad! But I've also learned that radiators are typically less restrictive than other components in a loop, so does this actually matter? What do I do with this information?

If you get a good pump like a d5 it doesn’t matter. My ekwb d5 revo w/140 top handles a 420GTS, a 420GTS xflow (less restrictive)c a 280GTS xflow, my asus Maximus formula VRMs, my ekwb supremacy evo block, and my ekwb 2080ti block with still a lot of flow rate.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Deuce posted:

What do you guys recommend for fan/pump control? Looking to get fan and pump speeds determined by coolant temperature, but my motherboard doesn't have a temperature sensor input.

Aquaero. Either a quadro or 6 LT.
So good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GutBomb posted:

I’m thinking of putting together my first custom loop. I’ve got a small form factor case (Streacom DA2) and right now I’ve got a 9900k on a Corsair h115i pro and a 2080 founders edition with its stock cooling. This case doesn’t have enough room for a reservoir or even a pump really so I’m trying to find a CPU block/pump combo because on top of the CPU is pretty much the only spot I’ve got any room at all. Is the Swiftech Apogee DrIve II the only option as far as that goes?

I’ve done enough research to know I’m gonna have to do it the old fashioned way with a T line for filling/bleeding or I guess there is some way to do it with quick disconnects?

Honestly, stick with your Corsair H115i pro. Custom loops need room, anything remotely small form factor is an exercise in futility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

curiousCat posted:

Is water cooling still super expensive?

Yes