Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
They could offer to prefill/QDC standalone radiators and reservoirs and then people would be free to go nuts on lego-block custom loops

E: Hah!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Would like to see those taken apart to check if the coldplate fins were moved, if at all.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I liked the decent quality pump in my EK Predator AIO until EK decided that, instead of increasing the prefilled expandability with QDC radiators, they decided to discontinue the entire product line. :(

I might try Alphacool's QDC system instead if I ever get the time to build a big system again.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

I really like the idea of planning a loop such that no bent tubing runs are required. Great work!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Having used the Vardars before and as an owner of two x25's now, I think it was definitely the Vardars being noisy.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm currently living in a small-ish space. How do y'all deal with the issue of heat soak, that is, your room not having much heat capacity in the first place which results in your fans having to suck in hot air in order to blow air out the radiators?

I'd previously gone crazy a few years ago with an EK-Predator 360 kit that covered both my i7 and GTX 980ti, and after a couple hours of something like Black Desert Online (which back then was, admittedly, not great to play with an unstable overclock) the ambient temp around the PC was rather warm! This lack of temperature differential certainly reduced the cooling power of my shiny expensive AIO and the stabilty/performance of my system went with it.

Should I have gone for more radiators? Does carpeted flooring matter? Is the best placement of a PC tower on top of the desk where it has more room to breathe?

I ask because I'm planning a new build with more thought going into sustaining high performance. Please save me from the idea of buying a stupid aquarium chiller or Alphacool Eiszeit now that I can afford it....

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

TigerXtrm posted:

You can't cool a water cooled system below ambient temp, that's not how thermal dynamics work. So yes, get some cool air in the room.

I know how thermal physics works, I was looking for better ways to interface my system with ambient air since it looks like the temperature differential I was experiencing didn't dissipate my total power load fast enough through a thick 360mm rad.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 11, 2019

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

rage-saq posted:

What’s your loop delta-T? If it’s higher than +5c over ambient then you can get that down with more rads. Mine is typically 3-4c under full gaming load and about 5c if I go with some insane synthetics.

I wish i had this reference a year ago because that loop has long been sold off, but I'm building a new one and will keep this in mind.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Crossposting this from the GPU thread, I'm especially interested in the concern about separating a GPU loop from a CPU loop, because I'd prefer to keep rad fan speeds way way down:

Nomyth posted:

VorpalFish posted:

Unless I am seriously misunderstanding your ask this does not seem reasonable - even a 3090 is gonna struggle some to hold 1440p240 or 4k120 and that's pulling 350w. Passively cooling that would take a massive heatsink.

Closest you're probably gonna get is spending $$$ on custom water cooling with very large radiators and very slow fans maybe?

You can make them quiet even on air but sub 20db? That's... Rough.
Yup, I'm aware I made a very tall order. Would you suggest a separate loop for the GPU and not mess it up with heat produced from a CPU, or put the whole system under a single loop in this application?

I should probably take it into the water cooling thread if needed.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Had another thought. Passively cool a CPU while dedicating a loop to the GPU for less noise while idle?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ah, I misspoke. By passively cooling CPU I mean completely taking the CPU out of the loop altogether and using a (mostly) passive cooler on it, and dedicating all the radiator space in a case to GPU.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Okay, it looks like then what I really need to do is address the source of my brainworms: what's a good way to prove to myself that I can turn down the fans and pump on what I have in my current system? The problem here is that I ended up putting together a ridiculously obscure Alphacool 280mm AIO monstrosity riding on my 9900K and my motherboard happens to be an equally obscure terrible choice (Supermicro) and I when I built this system spring of 2019 I hadn't really even given much thought at all to noise control because I stopped caring after playing around trying to get the all-core OC stable

really, the whole system was a poor choice and I need to find a place to listen to what a properly controlled loop looks/sounds like

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Actually, even better than addressing my brainworms: :effort: are there any suggested watercooled custom job builders that still provide systems out there? I used to enjoy this poo poo several years ago but now i do not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Warmachine posted:

Your bios might have something to control fan speeds and set fan curves, but I don't know jack about SM's bios. (I know they do a lot of enterprise boards, and that's the end of it.) Even if your pump is DC, you might still be able to set a lower speed even if that speed is static. You can get away with extremely low pump speeds in small loops like AIOs. My own system runs at the minimum operating speed when not under load, and only ever goes up to ~45% under load, because I don't need 4500 RPM of DDC... ever. And it was similar when I didn't have PWM--set to just above minimum operating speed and forget it. I didn't get any significant issues and had a much quieter pump for the trouble.

First step is figuring out how to control your fans and pump speed though. If your board can't do that, slap past you for being a cheap rear end and then use the Christmas bonus to get a real motherboard. Also probably check your power supply. If past-you was buying cheapass supermicro boards with half a bios, god knows what kind of chewing gum and paperclips power supply is hooked to this thing.

(A fan controller is not worth it vs. getting a proper motherboard. If your mobo can't give you proper fan control features, there are probably more issues that aren't as obvious that you don't want to deal with. It's like buying a house--the problem you see is probably an indicator of problems you don't.)

the C9Z390-PGW is far from being a cheapass mobo, it's (was) more of a rather expensive "boutique" one. This is a system in which I decided my main SSD would be a 480GB Intel Optane 3D XPoint drive and also hi there completely overkill Corsair AX1600i PSU made by Plantronics, I know what I'm talking about with regards to part choice. The problem now is that I've become far too lazy to sift through what little documentation there is myself to go through with it all.

past me was the opposite of cheap, and was also definitely stupid for thinking my preferences for system use wouldn't change

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 3, 2020