Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PerrineClostermann posted:

All my headers are 4pin, wouldn't that suggest they're PWM?

No. All pwn headers are 4 pin. All 4 pin headers are not pwm. Your manual will give the pinout data on your fan headers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Alereon posted:

Just a quick clarification, there's two kinds of PWM: Using the 4th pin of the header to send a PWM control signal to the fan's built-in speed controller, and actually applying PWM to the 12V power for the fan. I think the former should be available on any 4-pin header. The latter is rare and used to control fans that don't support speed control and don't react well to voltage control. I'm not sure what Don Lapre is saying these Corsair fans need but since they have 4-pin plugs I would expect them to work from any 4-pin header on your board, but I haven't looked at your specific board.

A lot of motherboards don't actually send a pwm signal on their 4 pin headers but a constant 5v. Many boards only actually send a pwm signal on the CPU header.

Example
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66283

quote:

First off, watch out for the chassis fan headers, they're not what they seem. This board has 6 fan headers: CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, and CHA_FAN 1-4. All of them look like normal 4-pin fan headers, but CHA_FAN 1-4 are *not* true 4-pin PWM fan headers. They don't provide any PWM control capability, and in fact act mostly like 3-pin fan headers, controlling all fans, whether 3 or 4 pin, using 3-pin style voltage control. The 4th pin, which should be used to control 4-pin fan speeds while the motor power stays at +12V, is instead hardwired for a constant 100% duty cycle PWM signal (fixed +5V). 4-pin fans will see this PWM signal and always run at full throttle, while the motor power is adjusted 3-pin style to control the actual speed resulting from that full throttle. 3-pin fans will work with these headers as if they were plain old normal 3-pin fan headers. 

If you run an ml120 off one of these fake pwm headers it will run properly at full speed but the only way to speed control it is voltage control which the ml maglev bearing does not work properly with.

You often also see people plugging their pumps pwm control into these and wonder why they can't control the speed, because there is no actual pwm signal being sent. Just a constant 5v.

Here is a gigabyte z97n wifi

You can see we get pwm on the CPU header but constant 5v on the system headers.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 27, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I'd probably buy a proper pwm fan controller like one of the aqua computer models or buy fans that work properly with DC control.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yeah, I found that strange. PWM 4pin fans have their fourth pin pulled internally to 5v, right?

I ended up ordering one of those. To be safe, I'm trying to figure out how much power I can pull from my PSU over a SATA Power connector. It just lists 12v output as a whole, which I hope means I don't need to worry about it at all.

And to complicate PWM, I've found there are headers/controllers that don't actually send a PWM control signal on a 4th pin, but still claim PWM. Turns out they apply PWM to the 12v power supply, turning fans on and off rapidly. Sigh.

You have a single 12v rail. The only thing you would have to worry about is pulling too much power for the actual wire to start melting, which you wont.

Also if you are running 2.5" drives they run on 5v. But still you have 24a, more than you would ever use for sata power connectors.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I use Primoflex LRT.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

I've been waiting for a few months and there's still no word on the EVGA hybrid cooler for the Titan X Pascal. Are there cheaper solutions than the EK waterblock and full custom loop that would work for this card? I've heard of people putting other CLC models on the card but I'm not sure how the VRMs and stuff would be cooled if I did that.

The EVGA hybrid cooler works on the titan X

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2568-titan-x-pascal-hybrid-results-clock-throttling-on-reference

just not as pretty as there is no shroud.

But honestly, custom loop is the way to go.

I mean, you are buying a $1200 video card and you wanna cheap out on cooling?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Filling and bleeding a traditional loop isn't exactly hard or time consuming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Thought experiment, how viable would a water cooled system that trades a radiator for a large buffer tank be for a system that's only on for a couple of hours per day?

A Kaby Lake i7 has a listed Thermal Design Point of 91W and a GTX 1080 about 180W, so 271W for CPU+GPU. Let's say an even 300W of heat that needs dissipating, and that we want to shut off at 70C to be on the safe side.

Someone tell me if this math is correct.

Water has a specific heat capacity of 4.184 Joule per gram, meaning it takes 4.184 watt to heat one gram of water by one celsius in one second. A litre of water is 1000 grams, so to heat our buffer from an ambient of 24C to 70C it would take 46*4184/300 = 641 seconds per litre of water in the system. So you would need a buffer of about 5-6 litres per hour of run time, and that's assuming we have no natural convection of heat from water to air.

But why?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fluid also evaporates out over time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Silver and nickle blocks don't mix

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

well why not posted:

I really don't get the point of that build, they have beast PCs in each editor's station. Why not just have them render stuff locally rather than transfer files to another machine. I don't know a lot about editing workflow, so I might be offbase here. Is it so the editors' machines aren't bogged down rendering and they can keep working? Why not just have an edit box in the editing room?

Rendering takes time away from your machine. Its better to send it elsewhere.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Deuce posted:

Anyone ever do a side-by-side comparison between PETG and acrylic tubing? I've heard acrylic is supposedly a little more clear-looking but I've never actually looked at the two together.

http://www.overclock.net/t/584302/ocn-water-cooling-club-and-picture-gallery/97760#post_25156759

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any advantage over a custom loop a la EKWB over an AIO? Apart from having evaporation under control? How long are the tubes supposed to last, and what's this about regular flushing?

Also, I'm curious, I wanted to get the watercooler whenever I'll switch case. I notice that the bigger radiators usually get put in the front of the case, on the intake. How hot is the radiator supposed to get when the CPU is under heavy load? Because of the blowing warm air into the case thing.

Custom loop will have better performance and is able to be maintained.

All the components are better (and you pay for it). My aquacomputer d5 pump cost as much as some AIO's.

You also have much more expandability obviously.

Blowing warm air isn't really an issue especially if your gpu is also watercooled. Just make sure if you are using a radiator as intake you have exhaust fans going.

As far as flushing, i probably do mine once a year. Its really not hard if you build a drain into your loop.

Open drains, drain out as much water as you can, maybe tilt the case a little. Fill it back up with new distilled water, run it a few minutes. Drain, then fill up with your coolant of choice. If you want you could fill it up and drain it again but its not really that important.

I use EK clear coolant concentrate.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ive seen lots of the h50 style coolers fail (specifically the one corsair used for h50, its also branded as alienware in dells)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So specifically if anyone has one of these

The tall rear end pump is the giveaway of which one you have

it may say corsair, or asetek, or alienware, or have some other log on it.

Id get rid of it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I use mayhems red and it's fine. Not with pastel though. Jayztwocents has a video on dying pastel

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngul4M7kqzI&t=437s

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Correct. Don't use silver. Nickel, copper, and brass are all good together.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Deuce posted:

Well, crap.

My GPU block seems to be going to hell. Questions:

1) Is it salvageable? If not, EKWB apparently has had a corrosion RMA process for this very issue, years ago. They must have thought the problem was solved, because they started selling nickel-covered blocks again, and no warning is found on the product page for use of silver killcoils.

2) Can I expect the corrosion in the copper parts as well? The CPU block is copper with an acetal top. The radiators are alphacool, so should only have copper in contact with water.

3) Should I use this as an excuse to purchase a 1080ti? You might argue that the GPU itself is totally fine, just the block needs to be replaced. My answer to that is shut up, who asked you?

Given that silver killcoils are incredibly common, you'd think EKWB would have some kind of warning about that. :mad:

From now on just use some ek or mayhems clear coolant + distilled. no need for coils and poo poo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea, but id clean everything anyway.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lemon juice will clean the copper up nice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

For rads i usually just use hot water and vinegar. swish it around, let it sit a bit. then i make a loop with my faucet and run hot water through it, so hold tube up to faucet, turn on, water exits out, then i do the same but with distilled.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a 280mm AIO cooler that people would recommend generally? I am looking at watercooling for my next build but having trouble differentiating some of the AIO products out there. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out what other than price and RGB lighting differentiates the NZXT x62 from the Corsair h110/h115 (or for that matter what the actual difference is between those two Corsairs).

They are almost all asetek. Any of the round ones like the nzxt's and some of the corsairs. Buy based on which one you think looks best or has extra features you want, like the nzxt software.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are going to do acrylic might as well move straight to glass

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cablemod

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What's a good case that's affordable and supports large radiators?

Caselabs SM8

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You want fan speeds to change based on coolant temp. Not cpu temp. Cam software does this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

But then your fans spike up and down with the CPU temp. If you run it based on coolant temp they'll ramp up less, the cooling performance difference will be totally minor.

Exactly. Coolant temp is all that matters when controlling fans for a wc system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Well they need something on the other side of course.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Are closed loop coolers supposed to be less noisy than giant monolith fins with fans on them? I'm getting tired of my H80 being louder than the rest of my components combined when all I'm doing is just browsing the forums.

Would be better if I coughed up for a 240 cooler? Or even bought a new case that could support a 280 cooler?

The larger the radiator the slower the fans have to run but you still have a lovely mini $5 pump spinning at 4500rpm

So no, large tower coolers should be quieter than all in ones.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So are there any colored fluids that aren't a pain to flush compared to a clear fluid? Pastel worries me. Also, what's the best choice for low maintenance clear tubing?

Get clear fluid and some mayhems dye

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Moey posted:

Really, x399 AMD? Couldn't stay with your own naming convention.

They completely copied Intel naming design.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Whats your issue with aquaero? Ive been using it for a bit and can try to help.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I didnt like the ML's at all. They had some odd higher pitched noise and had to return them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They are a set brightness.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Keep in mind you have to run them as pwm.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

there shouldn't be any issues with long runs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nzxt doesn't make it. It's made by asetek. Also rma it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can though I never had an issue with Cam before I went custom.

Just fyi any aio that has the circular block is made by asetek. The manufacturer can do custom electronics though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Run the pump at whatever rpm sounds best in your chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It will work fine that way. Biggest problem is if there is any air you want it to collect in the radiator, not the pump. Having tubes at the top allows air to make its way into the pump which is bad for it.