Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Deuce posted:

I'm pondering a wall-mount PC type of setup. Are there any good "cases" out there premade for this or is that still more of a DIY niche these days?

Thermaltake Core p5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
For your drain just gotta put it together before tubing and see where things go. I run mine inline with my tubing

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

New Zealand can eat me posted:

That's a good protip re: angled fittings, thank you. I had noticed that it did look very clean

:eyepop: that's gorgeous dude. How do you have the controller mounted in there? I hadn't considered just putting one in there sideways like that. Looked over at this tower like "welp, no drive bays" and that was that

I'm assuming the outlet from the GPU block on the bottom is going back to the rad/pump? Is it best to run them like that? I was thinking it would look a little cleaner/tighter if I could do them both on the same side

I really like what they did in their guide with the M/M extenders, the 3F splitter, and the ball valve

Can you do custom inserts inside the reservoir? The EK logo is ok but if I could put my own shape in there that'd be fantastic

It's looking like multiple orders/shipments is unavoidable :sigh: Going to have to fit and route everything first to see if I need more/different angled fittings. I'll have to wait till it gets here, but my plan is to run a fill port from the back of the case towards the top that'd have a downward slope into the top of the res. I think I'll be able to run the splitter off the rad and still have enough downward slope on the way to the back panel In a perfect world I might try to put the ball valve on the outside so that I don't have to take the side off at all when I swap fluid.

It's too bad they don't also offer white versions of everything I'm getting in Nickel.

That PrimoChill stuff looks neat, it's too bad the only UV they offer is green. I love warm piss as much as the next guy but that's just not my color for this build. Who else can be trusted for additives? I just had an absurd/dumb thought about a build with sea monkeys in the reservoir. They probably don't like PPG too much lol

I decided to get the Dual D5 instead. Monoblocks seem to benefit more from the added flow, and anecdotally the people I see with the highest clocked vegas are running dual pumps, so maybe it is important in mitigating that tiny little hotspot. Looks like it cycles all of the water in the system almost twice as fast (which is just a few seconds, right?)

My new cart:
EK-FB GA AX370 Gaming RGB Monoblock - Nickel
EK-FC Radeon Vega - Nickel
EK-FC Radeon Vega Backplate - Nickel
EK-CoolStream CE 420 (Triple)
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
EK-RES X3 250 Lite
EK-UNI Pump Bracket (140mm FAN) Vertical
EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - White (6-pack) x2
EK-DuraClear 9,5/15,9mm 3M RETAIL x2
EK-CryoFuel Clear Premix 900 mL x2
LED 3mm Twin Ultra UV x2 (For GPU block)
EK-AF Angled 2×45° G1/4 Nickel x2
EK-AF T-Splitter 3F G1/4 - Nickel
EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 - Nickel
EK-AF Extender 20mm M-M G1/4 - Nickel x2

I think that's enough to get things going, order is on the way! I am become ocean man

It looks like mod-one does white plugs and sleeves/cables, unless anyone has a better suggestion I think I'm gonna go with them. This level of customization is hilarious, it's like custom computer shoelaces

E: Hell yes they do it in 5cm increments, I always wondered how people did this so tidy

The Core p5 has a number of threaded screw holes all over it. Down there are some that fit an aquaero with a set of caselabs "short-nonconforming" mounts. I just flipped them backwards. They are about $12 i think.

Its not rock solid mounted but it isn't gonna sag or anything.

My res/pump are one piece so it pumps into the gpu, then into the cpu block, then into the rad and the rad returns to the top of the res. Id buy an alphacool (and probably will) rad if i started over so i have a bottom opening for a radiator drain, i just already had this 480mm.

For your GPU you can run top or bottom tubing out as long as one is on the left and one is on the right.

The EK insert is just what it comes with. No reason you couldn't cut your own acrylic to make your own. Just use the stock one as a template for the pressure fit part.

Deuce posted:

In the same case, I have the drain placed in the same spot, plus an extra drain at the bottom of the radiator. (alphacool XT45 480mm). Makes getting fluid out of the radiator much easier.

Yep, probably gonna switch to an alphacool 480 so i have a drain port. I just already had this xspc one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ersatz posted:

I'm seriously considering ordering a Bolt X from Digital Storm, and I'm curious if anyone here has experience with their liquid cooling options.

For example, are their systems difficult to maintain? Ideally, I'd be holding on to and upgrading this machine over the course of several years.

In terms of materials, is copper actually preferable to hardline plastic, or is the difference mainly aesthetic?

Copper is gonna be a pain in the rear end if you ever need to redo tubes, which you will if you are upgrading it.

Honestly unless this is a set it and forget it system, if you want hardline you should DIY because you are gonna need to know how to do it when you upgrade.

You also gotta be able to notice if there is a leak, you gotta be able to drain and refill the system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

kloa posted:

How does watercooling work if the rad has a smaller heat rating than the expected load? EK's custom loop guide shows a 4C difference if I go with just one large rad vs large+small in the back of the case.

code:
250W heat - 300W cooling (240 and 120 rad) = 30C
250W heat - 200W cooling (240 rad only)    = 34C
I only want to watercool my GPU, as it's a loud blower fan when it is above 50% fan usage and also runs around 89C at load.

It will run warmer and/or you will need to run your fans faster

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

First hard tubing job, what a pain in the rear end. Should have charged more

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Deuce posted:

Looks good though!

For tubes like the one you have running straight across from front rad to back rad, sometimes one of those dual 45 degree fittings can "zig" just enough so you don't have to bend the tube.

Ohh didn't even think of that. He has tubes left over so might do my own soft tube system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Not what I would have picked but I'm sure it's fine honestly. This line for a good score from johnny

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Finally finished this thing

Thermaltake cases are such low quality

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PerrineClostermann posted:

I pretty much refuse to buy any thermaltake anything. They're all so cheesy, and their water cooling parts are all aluminum, aren't they?

They do sell copper rads now but dont know how the quality is. Zero reason to buy them really. I actually have a core p5 but it feels cheap, but nothing else is the same design.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pretty sure this guy I did the build for was gonna do all thermaltake until I talked him out of it for the wc stuff

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Radiators are harder to clean than air coolers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I mean, radiators are still gonna have fans. The fans are just moving around the air thats already there. Clean your house.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Put filters on your intake not your exhaust.

If you have carpet you need to vacuum them. Change the air filters in your house. Buy a standalone HEPA air filter device.

Also yes if your computer is very dusty inside take it outside and clean it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'm sure you know this, but your computer isn't the source of the dust.

I dont think he does...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Case labs is awesome and you wont be disappoined in the quality. They feel like what you pay for them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rage-saq posted:

Water cooling doesn’t make you computer generate more or less heat (unless it was previously throttled) it’s just more effective at getting the heat out of the case.

Technically incorrect. The cooler you make components the less power they will use. Though in this case it will not be noticable, but the effect is there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rage-saq posted:

I don’t know that the differences in temperature reduce the electrical resistance by a large enough of a degree to reduce the electrical load but technically this is true.

Its one of the big selling points of liquid coolling in datacenters.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They do. Asetek has a data center solution with heat exchangers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are gonna watercool just buy an aquero

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Never

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Your water temp isn't gonna be more than 30-40c usually. I mean if you want to do it for a project but its not gonna make that much of a difference. Running the radiator outside a window may be fine but in the winter it will cause condensation on your equipment.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

VRM cooling usually isn't worthwhile. They are mostly for looks. They are very very hard to resell and usually cant be reused on another board.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Got my EKWB parts, they seem decent enough. Only thing that bugs me is that the core of the 38mm thick radiator is only 20mm. Seems the other 18mm is just headroom on the bracket for fan mounting screws.

Every radiator is like that

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Don't bother. The fans it comes with are fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The fans are perfectly quiet though when you adjust the curve

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Built a custom loop for a guy a year ago. His GPU is dead so having me swap it out. Dual loop, massive radiators, tons of fluid so it takes forever to drain.

Well there is algae in the loops.

Hes gonna end up paying me $500-$700 to tear down, clean all his blocks, clean his rads, clean his tubes, refill, etc...

Dont do watercooling unless you are filthy rich or can do it yourself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jink posted:

I will never recommend water cooling to someone that doesn't want to learn about it, know how to assemble/work on it, etc. That being said, it sounds like a lack of distilled water and a biological additive was not used? You should not have algae problems in a build and that 100% sucks to deal with. My closest issue to that would be Mayhems coolant that leeched white 'chaulk' and required a tear down.

My rig cost a forture when I built it but I've had little issues with maintenance except for a single rebuild. On the flip side, I save tons of money NOT upgrading my machine because I hate tearing it down. Saving money by spending money! :D

Yea, he brought me premixed coolant and maybe it was bad or something? Dunno.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

On that note, what's the best way of cleaning out a loop these days? Not looked into it in a while and my loop is due a flush

If there is nothing obviously wrong with it flush a couple gallons of distilled and then drain and put in your coolant of choice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Use an aquaero

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Selling my alphacool 480mm ut60 if anyones interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881095

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Your issue is ambient temps. Whether you have watercooling or air cooling has nothing to do with it. Open a window or get an air conditioner.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just installed a water temperature sensor and moved fan control of the radiator ones to that. Finally that spooling up of the fans due to the Ryzen precision boost temperature ratchet is gone.

Also, I still hate my H700 piece of crap case.

What's a good temperature to settle for the water?

Up to 10c over ambient is usually considered fine. 5c over ambient is considered great. Water needs to be under 45-50c is really the only area to look at (assuming your components are staying cool enough). 45-50c is when WC components start to break due to temp.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

XMP isn't guarenteed

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Build i did for a customer turned out well

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rage-saq posted:

Aquaero. Either a quadro or 6 LT.
So good.

Yep. You can use it forever. It does not rely on your computer at all (other than power) to keep all your poo poo going. You can buy any motherboard you want and not worry about how lovely its built in fan controller is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

VostokProgram posted:

Would it be a bad idea to use stuff like Novec and other fancy coolants in standard water cooling equipment? Aside from cost (I assume they cost a lot?)

Straight water is the best liquid to use in a custom loop. The additives we use to inhibit growth and metal corrosion make it perform worse.