Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My main problem with peltiers is the potential condensation. Otherwise I'd probably be running one just for the "why not" factor. (I have way too much rad volume for my TDP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

I saw the Linus water cooled room thing and another streamer who ran his radiator down to the basement, but it got me thinking. Why not just put the computers in a basement and then run thunderbolt and whatever else I/O you need up to the room you need it in? That way you pretty much just have monitors and hubs in your work space, and you can run the cheapest, loudest air cooling you want.

It's what Linus does now, he's got a computer closet with his rigs in a ... closet, and then runs a thunderbolt through the wall. Seems to work ok.

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have noctuas and they're good. They idle at ~200rpm and I can't hear them. That's my fan story.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I got hosed by asus "4 4 pin fan connectors" marketing once, I'll be super careful next time I'm buying expensive motherboards. The CPU headers are PWM (but only the same signal for both :confused:), and the other two are just 5v on pwm and use voltage to control speed :cripes:

Luckily those swiftech 8way pwm splitters exist, though I'd still prefer it if I could run the pumps on a different pwm than fans more easily.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You're gonna want to replace everything 2-6 years down the line depending on how much corrosion happens. Also, stagnating water will accelerate the process, so I hope your pc is running 24/7.

Watercooling is a really funny place, where all the shitlord enthusiasts are saying one thing (don't mix galvanising metals!!!! but then they turn around and say use distilled + silver coil :downs:), meanwhile all the vendors tell you explicitly not to do that, for very good reason. And all the common sense people just use real coolants and eat the 0.01% worse heat conductivity the tiny amount of additives needed to keep your loop gunk free give to water.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I buy from EK because they build this poo poo across town and it gets here in less than 2 days. I'd buy off a reseller like amazon.de/ocuk otherwise.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:holymoley: that username post combo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do SSDs even need active cooling? Is this like the dumb ram sinks?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

Seriously the ML120s hands down beat Gentle Typhoons and Vardars (a remade GT clone that competes right on with a GT). They are insanely great.

2200-3000 range?? My fans run at 200rpm 99% of the time, I've yet to see them go above 1000 even when I was doing benchmarks in the summer. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I run mine at the lowest setting because it's silent at that. Unless I have my gpu overclocked to all the way to gently caress and back so elite runs smoothly in VR, but I can't hear it over that game's awesome sound either so it's fine :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately nvidia gpus can't be flashed with custom bios anymore, so just get a decent (msi gaming) gpu cooler option, because you won't be able to overclock more than literally anyone else in the world anyway unless you hardware voltmod or use an amd gpu (lol)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my loop has been circling the EK's funny smelling poison liquid 24/7 for 4 years straight now and while there's some discolouration inside the cpu block and the colour of the coolant itself went from blue to swampy green (probably due to sunlight exposure since it's supposed to be a "glow under blacklight" thing? i only got this one because it was 50% off :v:), it's still working fine and i don't see any gunk buildup anywhere. gpu block still looks as good as new.

i'm gonna replace it all sometime this year when i get my new pc because the loop's like 6 years old now and the cpu block isn't going to fit a ryzen anyway so idc, but god drat i expected more issues with my first ever loop

vvvv: yeah same lol

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 27, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's absolutely insane to me that getting distilled water would be hard. if push comes to shove you can make some at home even

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cloner of the Elks posted:

So I thought gently caress it and picked up a litre of Mayhems for £2.50. I mean, it's only for a pre-flush, I have premixed stuff for the actual coolant when it comes to filling

i've flushed my loop with plain tap water before, it's fine lol

e;fb on next page :arghfist:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't have rigid piping, but for my lovely loop it's normal that i have to refill the tank a little bit (it's a tiny tank) after a week, and then after a month of operation, as all the air bubbles filter out.

after that it ran for 4 years with no maintenance outside of removing and dusting the air filters twice a year

seriously considering going back to air right now tho. seeing the benches of newest cpus and gpus on water is super whatever. otoh i have a radeon so i could install a spicy bios...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah my build is completely silent when idle and barely audible when loaded, i have 2x480mm of rad, so fans never really go past ~800 rpm.

thing is, i built this when my pc was in my bedroom so i wanted the pc to be silent so it could do poo poo while i sleep, but now it's in another room. the loudest possible thing in the pc is this reference radeon (i'm waiting a month to see if everything's cool before i buy a waterblock), and it's not loud enough even under max load to get through my headphones :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i haven't had issues with it myself, but allegedly colored coolants gunk up your loop

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my personal suggestion for flushing rads is, plug your new rad on your tap, set it to full blast for 15s, plug it into the other hole and repeat, *then* do the distilled water shaking thing once or twice to flush it out.

my rads (not EK tho) came with a bunch of dust/shavings in them and trying to do the distilled water+shake thing was taking waaaaay too long lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i had a 24/7 watercooled machine, went ~6 years without replacing the water and it was still in pristine condition when i finally drained it when i was switching out gpus

that said, i read online that gunk can build up real quick if you let your water idle for long durations when you shut your pc down, so most people say ~2 years between replacing your coolant? idk if that still holds with a decent coolant instead of just water tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, yeah I use the cryofuel stuff with no color or anything. How long do you think is a long duration? My PC is off every night. Guessing you meant like weeks?

yeah, like if you go on a 1 month vacation or something but if you're using cryofuel it shouldn't matter, since i'm sure there's plenty of poison in it to prevent stuff growing