Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

I am, and honestly it was a mistake. Air cooling will always provide better cooling with lower noise levels because heat pipes move heat more effectively than pumped water, without the noise of a pump. Water cooling only makes sense in situations you need to pump the heat to a remote radiator due to space constraints, like in SFF PCs. On the plus side, putting a water cooler on your GPU lets you exhaust heat from the case in a manner similar to a blower, but without the noise.

gently caress'n A. Came to post this. gently caress water cooling. Too many failures, not enough benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hear milk is a good fluid to use for watercooling.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I may/probably need to cool a ASUS ROG Strix RX480 overclocked out the wazoo along with a 6800K at 4.0-4.2Ghz. Any help is appreicated. I am very new to water cooling but handy and was a plumber (a real one) if it helps my build.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

If any of you were looking to buy an 1080Ti FE to slap a waterblock on, I'm selling mine. It's an EVGA, which has the best warranty service and won't void your warranty for taking off the stock cooler.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820948

Just curious, what are you replacing that card with? Vegalol? [edit] oh, bad for watercooling

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Solumin posted:

The thing circled in red. On my card, it's not there anymore, and you can see the two points it was connecting.

That is an incredibly easy fix for someone with microsoldering stuff. Any chance you found the resistor you broke off?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I am probably going to build a ThreadRipper system pretty soon and watercooling has me intrigued. I like a quiet system, my current system ( Mac Pro 5.1 ) is almost inaudible and I really like that.
What will be a good AIO? I have looked at the NZXT X62 and it seems to get very good reviews.

Any opinions?

I don't see any problems there. Its a nice 280mm rad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

It's unclear how well current AIOs will work with Threadripper since they were all designed for much smaller chips. The common Asetek design (as used by the X62) doesn't fully cover the dies with its fin stack, and parts of the dies are only contacted by screws.

AIOs should work fine at stock settings (AMD is including an Asetek bracket in the box after all) but they might struggle to dissipate heat from the edges of the dies when overclocking. We won't know for sure until the TR review embargo is lifted.

Wow I glossed over that article and thought the cold plate was actually touching the heatspreader. Why the hell is that being listed as compatible?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez thats a lot of work for a lowly 7700k. What kind of overclock did it give you?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Go big or go home.
I hate small computers because it always ends up biting me in the rear end down the road in some way I didn't expect. I mean unless you need that extra couple square feet of space, a normal style case is superior.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, how about that. I never would have guessed although it is obvious when you think about it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno if anyone saw, but Jays 2 cents figured out that some of the 9000 series CPUs have rounded heat spreaders. Delidded temps are almost the same as lapping.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 CL15 4x8GB. They only work stable at 2833MHz just picking an XMP profile in the BIOS. Haven't investigated why.

It's very likely because you have 4 pieces in there. 2 sticks in the furthest slots would probably hit 3000.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That thing is for looks not performance.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Vardars have an annoying whine to them. I ditched them pretty quickly. I went for the A12x25 from Noctua, which is the other extreme (because $$$).

Same with the Coolermaster high pressure fans. Incredibly annoying buzz/whine. Ditched em.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
take pic with that thing overlayed on the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That loving rubber better be good because I HATE the way that works.