Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I ran an H50 on my 965 BE, years ago. Seemed to work just fine, I don't see what all the complaints are for. Air cooling has improved since then, but even more importantly, TDP has gone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I saw the Linus water cooled room thing and another streamer who ran his radiator down to the basement, but it got me thinking. Why not just put the computers in a basement and then run thunderbolt and whatever else I/O you need up to the room you need it in? That way you pretty much just have monitors and hubs in your work space, and you can run the cheapest, loudest air cooling you want.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Harik posted:

He ended up doing that at his actual house, I think. Rack of poo poo in a closet and thunderbolt out to the desks. I'm torn on it myself - I don't want to hear my system running, but if I did water cooling I'd absolutely want to be able to see it - not just to show it off, but to watch for leaks or other signs of problems.

I can't be too hard on him for the storage meltdown - he hosed up originally, realized it was a problem, built a proper server to copy it to - and was mid-replication to a properly configured system when it failed on him. No wait, I can be. "moved a server before it was completely backed up" and the ever-hilarious "installed a critical server in a construction site WITHOUT A UPS" are perfectly great reasons to point and laugh.

Of all the thread-relevant things he's done, I think my favorite was A) build an oil-immersion fishtank PC and then B) move it cross-town in a moving van without draining most of the oil into a drum. It developed fractures and they had to drain and repair it. :laugh:

E: Anyone seen the laminar flow hobbists? They use a water jet as a lightguide and it looks pretty good. Wondering if the water/plastic boundary could pull it off as well as water/air does. Obviously it can't go through any blocks, but you could do your two long-runs that way and have the actual tubes be glowing with full RGB control.

So just don't do water cooling if you're gonna put it in another room. Once you do that, size and sound levels are no longer a concern, so run air because it's cheaper and probably more reliable.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

More radiators is never unnecessary.

Oh hello:

http://techreport.com/news/31444/alphacool-eiswand-combats-hot-parts-with-a-big-block-of-chill

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Deuce posted:

I've been pondering a Desk-PC build, think it would be pretty fun to do. But they seem like a really niche product. I've literally only found:

Lian-Li's DK series, some availability on Newegg/Amazon. $900-$1400.
Some Italian company's "Hydra" ~$1000, only has a "reserve" button on their website.
Red Harbinger's Cross desk which doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Everything else seems to be custom jobs. Maybe I should learn to, like, build a desk. How hard could that be? Even that Linus guy did it, right?

Linus built two different desk PCs. One, a long time ago just mounting stuff under a store bought desk and one recently with the glass top. The first one was easy, cheap and had plenty of room for mess ups. The second one was the opposite.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If any of you were looking to buy an 1080Ti FE to slap a waterblock on, I'm selling mine. It's an EVGA, which has the best warranty service and won't void your warranty for taking off the stock cooler.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820948

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

redeyes posted:

Just curious, what are you replacing that card with? Vegalol? [edit] oh, bad for watercooling

Probably just a EVGA 1080Ti SC.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Don't you have a custom loop? The Sea Hawk 1080ti came out last week, pricing on it is much better than the original pricing for the Sea Hawk 1070/1080, not much of a delta over good AIBs.

My case has no fan mounts. None.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Whoops, I didn't specify, I meant the Sea Hawk 1080ti EK came out last week, I got mine in on Wednesday. Its not very useful if you don't have a custom loop.

Or places to mount fans or radiators.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Scholtz posted:

Is this the proper order/orientation for an AIO cooler mounted to the top of the PC? Or should I be taking cold air from the outside and blowing it down through the radiator into the case?

You want what's in the picture. Since heat rises on its own, you want the radiator mounted as such to get a little more help for free. The added bonus is your motherboard should also run a bit cooler this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I’m thinking of putting together my first custom loop. I’ve got a small form factor case (Streacom DA2) and right now I’ve got a 9900k on a Corsair h115i pro and a 2080 founders edition with its stock cooling. This case doesn’t have enough room for a reservoir or even a pump really so I’m trying to find a CPU block/pump combo because on top of the CPU is pretty much the only spot I’ve got any room at all. Is the Swiftech Apogee DrIve II the only option as far as that goes?

I’ve done enough research to know I’m gonna have to do it the old fashioned way with a T line for filling/bleeding or I guess there is some way to do it with quick disconnects?

This guy did a thing.

https://youtu.be/IU0GDtj7FnM