Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

I'm unreasonably proud that my first attempt at watercooling something worked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Yeah it's good cos you get a constant supply of yogurt. And yeah, I did realise as soon as it was finished that I had no way of getting the water out.

But gently caress it. Cross that bridge when I come to it.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

You're probably right. Lowest point on the loop is the best spot for a drain I would assume?

Of course, my upside down radiator is still going to be full of fluid.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Yeah the radiator has a drain port on it. But cos it's upside down it's at the top without a lot of clearance from the case.

I think I'm going to do a v2 at some point with everything shuffled around and more consideration for draining and filling. But hey, first attempt and it cools the cpu, so still a win.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Alright, so coolant question. I take it from gibbos weirdly hostile comment that buying off the shelf pre-mixed coolant is not the hip thing.

So what, deionised, distilled water?

Why not the sort of waterless coolant we use in cars. That stuff has insane operational ranges.

edit: oh wait, I answered my own question. The high performance coolant is useful because it doesn't turn to steam so it remains useful as a coolant longer. Hopefully a CPU will never push it up to the point where it's trying to boil away so it doesn't matter if it has a higher boiling point/lower freezing point.

RUM hack fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 24, 2016

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

I'm going to rebuilt my 'babies first watercooling' setup I did a while ago and add some common sense stuff like drain valves. Also thought I'd add my gtx 1070 into the loop while I was at it because the fans are noisy af.

So some novice questions:

1) is a 240mm by ~50mm deep copper radiator enough to safely cool CPU and GPU? It's got a couple of 120mm fans on it, and the components only have light overclocks (25-50% or so)

2) any better bit of software for managing fan speeds vs temp than speedfan? It's ok, but is kind of binary. 'Under target temp, drop to min rpm' or 'slightly above, 100% FULL SPEED AHEAD BRRRUUUM'. Ideally something I can design a curve for would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Don Lapre posted:

Rule of thumb is 120mm per component plus one. So 360mm minimal. Also the more radiator space the lower you can run your fans.

For fan control I recommend an aquaero. The baller ones with screen are about $160 but you can get one without a display for $70-$100.

It's a standalone computer that can run a pump and fans. You can hook multiple temp sensors to it and have your fans spin up based on an ambient water temp Delta.

Works completely independent of the PC once set up. No need to worry about changing it with new hardware or anything.

Those aquaero controllers look awesome, exactly what I want. Out of budget though, so maybe live with speedfan for the immediate future and plan to put one in with sensors etc at a later date.

I'll add another bank of radiators then. Least there is no way too much cooling can be a bad thing.