Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What's the advantage of a drain? Why not just use the pump itself to clear the system with a res at the bottom?

I made a custom water cooling system back when the C2Ds were the new hotness. I ran a single loop, CPU -> GPU water cooled, Peltier system with a single pump and radiator and reservoir. The volume of the system was ~6 liters. It's still running fine today. No Quick Disconnects, just 3/8" OD tubing that I bought from the hardware store for <1$/ft and used pipe clamps. Most expensive parts of the build were the CPU/GPU waterblocks which were around 150 for both. Pump was 35, Reservoir was 5, radiator was 20.

Whenever I drained it, I'd just siphon from the reservoir, and use the pump to clear the system. Reservoir was the low point in the system naturally anyway. It was great and 100% silent. When I finally replaced my ancient 5400rpm hard drive with an SSD, I didn't even know my PC was on. Also I had the radiator outside of the case with single 120mm fan for cooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Numinous posted:

Back in the day I had an 80W peltier cooler connected to a dangerden water block and radiator. Kept my CPU at a nice and cool 60 deg F all day long. Went the full monty with vaseline in the CPU connector and silicone sealant around the whole setup - custom water reservoir made from home depot components and brass barbs. Good stuff!

It was a fun ride but I went back to air cooling eventually.

Same, but it was a watercooled peltier block for my gpu. Kept it around -1C at idle, and around 2 or so at load.

That first bump was me reversing the polarity of the peltier accidentally, I switched it, and you can see the results :)