Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I know the AIO systems are frowned upon by the custom loop snobs but if you're a non-snob that's on the fence about getting an AIO system I replaced a 212 evo with a NZXT x61 and the stock cooler on my GTX 1080 founders edition with an NZXT x31 with a g10 bracket and it dropped my overclocked GPU temps from 80c under load to 60c and my overclocked CPU load temps from 60c to 40c. The best part is that it is SO much quieter. Also each part has a 6 year warranty.

Highly recommended for someone that doesn't want to mess with every little thing but still wants water cooling.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PerrineClostermann posted:

AIOs are fun and cheap compared to custom loops. More power to you.

I was paranoid about my VRM and VRAM chips getting hot so I got some heatsinks today for both so I had to take the whole g10 assembly off to put them on. This entailed removing the thermal paste that was originally applied from the factory on the nzxt cold plate. I applied my own as well as adding the heat sinks to the little chips and now my GPU load temps after an hour of running the Dirt Rally benchmark (my go-to since it's fairly demanding, an actual game I play a lot instead of something synthetic, and can be looped) are 43c instead of 60c. Really impressed, and it's convinced me to never use the pre-applied thermal paste on anything ever again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MaxxBot posted:

I've been waiting for a few months and there's still no word on the EVGA hybrid cooler for the Titan X Pascal. Are there cheaper solutions than the EK waterblock and full custom loop that would work for this card? I've heard of people putting other CLC models on the card but I'm not sure how the VRMs and stuff would be cooled if I did that.

Mine's a 1080 not a Titan, and I'm using a nzxt g10 adapter to hold an nzxt x31 to the GPU and I bought some little heat sinks for all of the ram and vrm chips and stuck them on with thermal epoxy. Works great. I had some instability without them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Not planning on going back then, huh?

Nah, if I ever sell it I'll just sell it with the cooler.

Even if I wanted to, someone broke into my garage where I keep the boxes for all of the components that I built my pc with and stole all of them including the box with the cooling shroud for the card. I bet they got really excited when they finally opened a box with something other than foam, random cables, and twist ties in it, only to discover it was an empty shell.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 7, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The CAM software sucks. It regularly hits 30% CPU usage when my machine is just idling. I finally set it to "performance" and then uninstalled it. It remembers whatever settings you last left it at.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have an i9 9900K and am picking up a RTX 2080 Ti. I was looking at something like the Gigabyte Waterforce AIO for the 2080 Ti but I was wondering if I should do air or water cooling for the CPU. I was going to get a Noctua D15 but it's so huge so I started looking at AIO coolers like the Corsair H150i. Are the pump noises really noticeable? I have a Fractal R6 case.

I have an h115i Pro on my 9900k overclocked to 5.1 and I never hear the pump even a little bit. Temps are 60ish in gaming loads, 30ish idle, 80ish in stress tests.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m thinking of putting together my first custom loop. I’ve got a small form factor case (Streacom DA2) and right now I’ve got a 9900k on a Corsair h115i pro and a 2080 founders edition with its stock cooling. This case doesn’t have enough room for a reservoir or even a pump really so I’m trying to find a CPU block/pump combo because on top of the CPU is pretty much the only spot I’ve got any room at all. Is the Swiftech Apogee DrIve II the only option as far as that goes?

I’ve done enough research to know I’m gonna have to do it the old fashioned way with a T line for filling/bleeding or I guess there is some way to do it with quick disconnects?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Whoa that alphacool eisbaer ecosystem looks really cool and I’m gonna look into that some more. My goals are to keep my stuff cool but keep it overclocked and quiet. My 9900k is at 5ghz all core at 1.28v maxing around 60-65 in games, 80ish in stress tests, and my 2080 founders edition on stock cooling is set at a modest overclock at +125 clock and +500 on the memory with the voltage and power sliders maxed and I get around 80c in gaming.

I’m not sure yet if I’ll be asking too much of a 280mm radiator but I guess we’ll see!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

rage-saq posted:

Honestly, stick with your Corsair H115i pro. Custom loops need room, anything remotely small form factor is an exercise in futility.

After looking at more stuff I’m realizing I can’t retain my current performance if I have them both on one 280mm radiator and I don’t have enough room for another so I think you’re right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone make a pump/block combo that doesn't need a reservoir like an AIO but probably better than any AIO? I want to do custom tubing in a SFF but instead of cutting up an AIO I thought it would be better to just go custom, no?

Check out Alphacool’s Eisbaer line. There’s a pump/block thing and the rads also use quick disconnects to make filling and moving things around really easy.