Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

my edit says the same thing just more succinctly and you're making idiot comparisons so suck my cock

Tallgeese posted:

The transdisabled actually do run a serious risk of making positive disability advocacy more difficult, and it is already a nearly insurmountable task. I would recommend reading The Social Psychology of Disability for a (very) basic introduction on why you are being an idiot for even entertaining that nonsense.

look again if assholes want to treat disabled people worse because some other weirdos like to roll around in wheelchairs then it's the fault of the assholes for being lovely people. I'm sure what you're saying is true but it's not really on the people using the wheelchairs when they don't need to be bc they aren't hurting anyone.

read an ethics book fucker

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
might as well say I shouldn't draw Muhammed bc Muslims might get pissed and kill some Americans about it. not on me bro.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
JUST THIS LAST WEEKEND I LEARNED THAT I AM A LESBIAN TRAPPED IN A MALES BODY.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't really think this flies, because you can argue that sexual preferences are completely inborn traits, whereas transgendered persons are literally rejecting their in-born traits. You can't prove or disprove it, so it's a meaningless gesture.
You can't prove or disprove that sexual orientation is completely inborn (though the evidence suggests there's at least some environmental component). So what? You can just as easily say that conflict with one's birth gender is "inborn" (IIRC there's some weak evidence suggesting that trans people's brains tend to resemble those of their "preferred" gender, don't quote me on that though because it's pretty fuzzy).

quote:

Prohibiting people from being gay does nothing to help anyone, it only hurts gays and it violates the freedoms this country was founded upon. It costs nothing to allow them to marry and the only justification against them is religious, which can be easily dismissed.
The anti-trans hysteria (tee hee) in this thread seems borderline religious, too. In fact some of the arguments (e.g. what's "natural" or "biological") are barely find-replaces of non-religious anti-gay arguments.

quote:

Trans people are asking for a lot more than the gays were, and unlike homosexual rights, it isn't religion that stands as the primary hurdle here--it's science and medicine. I'm happy to change my mind on the trans issue if science and medical professionals reach a consensus and hard data is collected to support it, which time will inevitably do--but as it stands, based on the current set of data, the issue is VERY contentious, it has not been settled or agreed upon, and the potential for harm caused is very great.

Do you refute this comparison?
Even if I agreed that gender reassignment surgery carries serious mental health implications,
a) that doesn't mean marginalizing and otherizing trans people is the right way to respond: rather the opposite, I suspect.
b) that if anything is an argument for a more inclusive perspective on gender. As previously argued, if people are allowed to identify as their preferred gender, and their preference is given legitimacy without the need for invasive surgery, that might decrease the rate of gender reassignment surgery.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

we wouldn't need it if people in the South stopped making laws that say 'the state determines what bathroom you are allowed to use.'

I'm against those laws, too. I'm against any sort of legal codification of this bathroom nonsense.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Goons generally have bad taste in movies, books, videogames, and sexual identities.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

JUST THIS LAST WEEKEND I LEARNED THAT I AM A LESBIAN TRAPPED IN A MALES BODY.

were you eating some box when you had an epiphany?

Applewhite posted:

I'm against those laws, too. I'm against any sort of legal codification of this bathroom nonsense.

oh well then we agree

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

oh well then we agree

It was in my opening argument!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

oh well then we agree

i do not share my sexual exploits with people

i am a classy male lesbian

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i need you to change your av bc every time you post i see that fine redhead and it makes me horned up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

look again if assholes want to treat disabled people worse because some other weirdos like to roll around in wheelchairs then it's the fault of the assholes for being lovely people.

Except that they aren't being lovely people, they're acting upon biases that, frankly, are subconscious and almost universal even in generally upstanding fellows.

You seriously have no clue what you're talking about.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

Except that they aren't being lovely people, they're acting upon biases that, frankly, are subconscious and almost universal even in generally upstanding fellows.

You seriously have no clue what you're talking about.

well if true then I'm dumb and I'm sorry I guess even though it still seems kind of questionable ethics wise

let me ask you this though, how do you feel about replacing perfectly healthy body parts with cybernetic parts that perform the same functions as good as or even better than their biological counterparts? hypothetically ofc (assuming rejection and phantom pain weren't issues)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

oh well then we agree

Well except we don't agree on the point that I believe it's right and just for a property owner to enforce whatever weird bathroom rules he has the energy to enforce. Not on a legal level, but at least to the point where violators can be denied access to the premeses.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

i need you to change your av bc every time you post i see that fine redhead and it makes me horned up

i ain't buying one

gotta piss off some more cosplay nerds i guess

i really liked the one i had before of the guy from We Are The Internet video

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

You can't prove or disprove that sexual orientation is completely inborn (though the evidence suggests there's at least some environmental component). So what? You can just as easily say that conflict with one's birth gender is "inborn" (IIRC there's some weak evidence suggesting that trans people's brains tend to resemble those of their "preferred" gender, don't quote me on that though because it's pretty fuzzy).

This isn't just weak evidence, it's wrong evidence. Male and female brains have been found to be almost completely identical, far more similar than different. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/11/brains-men-and-women-aren-t-really-different-study-finds

quote:

The anti-trans hysteria (tee hee) in this thread seems borderline religious, too. In fact some of the arguments (e.g. what's "natural" or "biological") are barely find-replaces of non-religious anti-gay arguments.

Nice try, but no, actually, using accepted scientific facts to question assertions made here is not religious in the slightest. It is not factually wrong nor fanatical to say that biological sex is immutable--that is to say, human beings do not under any natural circumstances transition into the opposite gender as their birth. It is not done in nature, no primate to our knowledge undergoes such changes.

quote:

Even if I agreed that gender reassignment surgery carries serious mental health implications,
a) that doesn't mean marginalizing and otherizing trans people is the right way to respond: rather the opposite, I suspect.
b) that if anything is an argument for a more inclusive perspective on gender. As previously argued, if people are allowed to identify as their preferred gender, and their preference is given legitimacy without the need for invasive surgery, that might decrease the rate of gender reassignment surgery.

But it also means that trans people should not be validated, they should be given therapy and as much as possible should be done to attempt to find out why they suffer from dysphoria and attempt to address the root causes. Validating their dysphoria, but neglecting the surgery aspect, doesn't really address that. Again, you'd end up in a situation where a homosexual relationship would be technically heterosexual if one man claimed identity as a woman.

To say nothing of laws or programs meant specifically to help women out, or women's prisons. Could an intact male transwoman be sent to a women's prison? Is that really right?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Well except we don't agree on the point that I believe it's right and just for a property owner to enforce whatever weird bathroom rules he has the energy to enforce. Not on a legal level, but at least to the point where violators can be denied access to the premeses.

applewhite why do you hate freedom?

doesn't everyone, even shop owners, have the freedom to be bigotted if they so pleased?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
everyone in the world is gay except for me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I'll agree to disagree on that point.

tbh I was really hoping none of you would bring up private clubs that are men only or things like that (women only gyms) as examples of legal discrimination of certain groups but lol no one went for that super low hanging fruit

I don't even have a response to that other than to shrug and go 'yeah that's some poo poo right there idk.'

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

everyone in the world is gay except for me

So what?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i guess if the pipes flow the right way it could be interstate poo commerce

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

i find it comforting and useful when hunting you

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
by chance would any of you peestanding shitpigs have a lawn to mow/tire to change/grill to tend

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

i find it comforting and useful when hunting you

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you...
Digger, listener, runner.
Prince with the swift warren. Be cunning and full of tricks...
...and your people will never be destroyed. "

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This isn't just weak evidence, it's wrong evidence. Male and female brains have been found to be almost completely identical, far more similar than different. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/11/brains-men-and-women-aren-t-really-different-study-finds
The article explicitly refutes your claim. Brains aren't binary (durr) but there are features statistically correlated with one sex or the other. Didn't you claim, a few pages ago, that women are smarter and more creative on average? Seems to suggest a difference in brain structure to me.

quote:

Nice try, but no, actually, using accepted scientific facts to question assertions made here is not religious in the slightest. It is not factually wrong nor fanatical to say that biological sex is immutable--that is to say, human beings do not under any natural circumstances transition into the opposite gender as their birth. It is not done in nature, no primate to our knowledge undergoes such changes.
...which a) has nothing to do with the subject at hand at all and b) is itself a find-replace of an anti-gay argument ("homosexuality doesn't happen in nature")

quote:

But it also means that trans people should not be validated, they should be given therapy and as much as possible should be done to attempt to find out why they suffer from dysphoria and attempt to address the root causes. Validating their dysphoria, but neglecting the surgery aspect, doesn't really address that. Again, you'd end up in a situation where a homosexual relationship would be technically heterosexual if one man claimed identity as a woman.
What if the root cause is the body itself? Seems reassignment surgery is the right course of action in this case. Besides, isn't "refusing to validate" pretty much what we did for centuries?

quote:

To say nothing of laws or programs meant specifically to help women out, or women's prisons. Could an intact male transwoman be sent to a women's prison? Is that really right?
This seems like the sort of thing that would have to be decided on a case by case basis. Would it really be more fair to send her to a men's prison?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

by chance would any of you peestanding shitpigs have a lawn to mow/tire to change/grill to tend

if m'lady needs her tires changed she can surely call AAA and gently caress OFF

that's equality for you :D

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

let me ask you this though, how do you feel about replacing perfectly healthy body parts with cybernetic parts that perform the same functions as good as or even better than their biological counterparts? hypothetically ofc (assuming rejection and phantom pain weren't issues)

Personally, I don't like it, because I suspect that will lead to an augmentation arms race where people will be looked down on for having last year's model. What happens if the insufficiently augmented are subject to the same cognitive biases as the disabled are today?

Were potential social ostracism not an issue I could not have an objection, but that seems overly optimistic.

The problem is, that's only a suspicion. It hasn't happened either way yet.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Snatch Duster posted:

applewhite why do you hate freedom?

doesn't everyone, even shop owners, have the freedom to be bigotted if they so pleased?

Yes. That's like, my whole point. It's called freedom of association.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

im drinking a beer and i have my hand down my pants

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

Personally, I don't like it, because I suspect that will lead to an augmentation arms race where people will be looked down on for having last year's model. What happens if the insufficiently augmented are subject to the same cognitive biases as the disabled are today?

Well for sure suddenly rich rich rich people would be living for hundreds of years potentially (at least way longer than the average human lifespan) which could potentially gently caress poo poo up but good.

Tallgeese posted:

Were potential social ostracism not an issue I could not have an objection, but that seems overly optimistic.

but yeah I think you're right, humans are generally not nice about things like that.

despite that, I don't want to die lol aug me up

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

The article explicitly refutes your claim. Brains aren't binary (durr) but there are features statistically correlated with one sex or the other. Didn't you claim, a few pages ago, that women are smarter and more creative on average? Seems to suggest a difference in brain structure to me.

It says there is no male or female brain, sex cannot be determined through an MRI alone, thus a man with a "woman's" brain is a meaningless conceit, so no, it doesn't refute my claim. I will say that yes, in all likeliehood data does not back up that women are smarter and more creative, so I'll gladly say that data doesn't back that one up. The broader point remains, I think anyone could tell you that men and women act and behave different from one another.

quote:

...which a) has nothing to do with the subject at hand at all and b) is itself a find-replace of an anti-gay argument ("homosexuality doesn't happen in nature")

It has everything to do with the subject at hand and homosexuality DOES happen in nature, quite frequently, so again, science prevails.

quote:

What if the root cause is the body itself? Seems reassignment surgery is the right course of action in this case. Besides, isn't "refusing to validate" pretty much what we did for centuries?
This seems like the sort of thing that would have to be decided on a case by case basis. Would it really be more fair to send her to a men's prison?

When Caitlyn Jenner, a transwoman with (as far as we know) an intact and functional penis, is convicted of vehicular manslaughter, a crime committed as Bruce Jenner, should Bruce serve the sentence or Caitlynn?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It says there is no male or female brain, sex cannot be determined through an MRI alone, thus a man with a "woman's" brain is a meaningless conceit, so no, it doesn't refute my claim.

if true then it means gender is a free for all and people can pick whatever they like and it's all good yo because on the inside we're still the same grey matter to be treated equitably despite outward appearance which is just that same Culture poo poo i've been in support of this whole time

we're all just meatbags sloshing around who cares if you want some dangly bits versus others

8-Bit Scholar posted:

When Caitlyn Jenner, a transwoman with (as far as we know) an intact and functional penis, is convicted of vehicular manslaughter, a crime committed as Bruce Jenner, should Bruce serve the sentence or Caitlynn?

the question here is obv is she going to become a rape toy in men's prison, not whatever you dudes are talking about

if yes (and the answer is yes) then trans people need either special blocks or to be put with the gender they identify with (gotta be case by case maybe bc obviously you can't just throw a dress on and say 'ima woman now' and go to women's prison).

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Yes. That's like, my whole point. It's called freedom of association.

So you hate freedom?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Snatch Duster posted:

So you hate freedom?

Are you pretending to be Moridin where I say something and it's like he doesn't even hear it?

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It says there is no male or female brain, sex cannot be determined through an MRI alone, thus a man with a "woman's" brain is a meaningless conceit, so no, it doesn't refute my claim.
The fact that brain structure isn't, by itself, a perfect predictor of gender doesn't mean there is no statistical tendency one way or the other. Height doesn't perfectly predict basketball ability, but there's a clear correlation. Go back and reread the article. Its central point is much more modest: most people's brains are "mosaics" of male or female features (which, themselves, are not always present in "male" or "female" brains, respectively).

quote:

I will say that yes, in all likeliehood data does not back up that women are smarter and more creative, so I'll gladly say that data doesn't back that one up. The broader point remains, I think anyone could tell you that men and women act and behave different from one another.
So your position is inconsistent, then.

quote:

It has everything to do with the subject at hand
we've been talking about "gender": and anyway, choosing to draw the line around primates is pretty arbitrary, considering sex is a loving mess throughout the animal kingdom.

quote:

homosexuality DOES happen in nature, quite frequently, so again, science prevails.
to which the canned response is, generally, that it doesn't: rather bisexuality, or homosexual sex as a form of social interaction, occurs, but endemic, lifelong "homosexuality" essentially doesn't. It doesn't matter. The point is that you're committing a form of the naturalistic fallacy, arguing that "unnatural" equals "bad".

quote:

Obviously we should go back in time and bring Bruce into the present. I have no idea what the gently caress you're on about. Sure, which prison to send a trans person to is a dicey issue, presumably something jurists will have to hammer out or decide on a case by case basis.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Are you pretending to be Moridin where I say something and it's like he doesn't even hear it?

honk honk

(actually i skipped the first 15 pages or so, if anything was said in there then i'm sorry)

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I can't hear you because I'm not near you.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm pro-science and I like to try and seek the objective truth and not necessarily what makes people feel good. I don't really care how you feel, I don't care about what you believe, all I care about is the search for the scientific truth. The universe is cold, harsh and indifferent to your fee fees.

As far as I'm concerned, gender is determined by what genitalia you have. That's it. Not how you feel. Not what you think you are. Not even the social standards you want to follow, or what society expects of you. It is an indication of what private parts and chromosomes you have and that's it. From there, you can do and believe whatever you want, but if you want to declare that 2+2 = 5, don't expect me to humor you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

The fact that brain structure isn't, by itself, a perfect predictor of gender doesn't mean there is no statistical tendency one way or the other. Height doesn't perfectly predict basketball ability, but there's a clear correlation. Go back and reread the article. Its central point is much more modest: most people's brains are "mosaics" of male or female features (which, themselves, are not always present in "male" or "female" brains, respectively).

Yes and your post

Aschlafly posted:

Suggested otherwise, which is proven false by that article, the literal purpose I linked it for.

quote:

So your position is inconsistent, then.
No, it means that my position is not so rigid as to not be informed by new data. If you have some science to support your argument, provide it, please. That's the point, isn't it?

quote:

we've been talking about "gender": and anyway, choosing to draw the line around primates is pretty arbitrary, considering sex is a loving mess throughout the animal kingdom.

How is comparing human sexuality to our closest evolutionary equals in the animal world at all arbitrary? Is that not literally the best possible example to look towards when making this discussion?

quote:

to which the canned response is, generally, that it doesn't: rather bisexuality, or homosexual sex as a form of social interaction, occurs, but endemic, lifelong "homosexuality" essentially doesn't. It doesn't matter. The point is that you're committing a form of the naturalistic fallacy, arguing that "unnatural" equals "bad".

Didn't you literally claim it was anti-gay to say that homosexuality doesn't exist in nature? If you're saying that I'm equating unnatural to bad, then I won't necessarily deny that, but more to the point I'm saying that nature--observable science--supports that homosexuality is perfectly fine and a normal behavior that other animals perform. This countered the scientific argument that homosexuality is unnatural because animals only have sex to reproduce, which is now known to be false. Again, data supports this, science supports this. The argument is sound and no morality or higher power is invoked.

quote:

Obviously we should go back in time and bring Bruce into the present. I have no idea what the gently caress you're on about. Sure, which prison to send a trans person to is a dicey issue, presumably something jurists will have to hammer out or decide on a case by case basis.

So, you don't have an answer? You are the one who is saying we should eliminate gender-based-on-sex entirely and make gender something entirely at-will, so I feel like this should be something you'd want to consider.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm a guy and if I'm lost in the jungle I will ask for directions, crushing the binary gender distinctions of society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm pretty sure thinking about gender identity is a human invention. Dogs in particular don't really give a gently caress and will hump anything. Male, female, doesn't even have to be another dog.

• Locked thread