Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Thanks SuperGraffiti for the art!

I really, really like Ratchet and Clank, guys. No, really. It's my favorite series of all times, and outside maybe one and a half games, I can't think of any games that are outright bad in the series (aside from maybe the psp ones i never played). Individual games may beat individual titles in the series, but overall I think the series is one of the funniest, most fun, most imaginitive things in video games.

Ratchet and Clank started off in 2002 with the claim of having the most gadgets of any game. Ever since then, the games have evolved to include a weapon leveling system, a health leveling system, strafing, in-game dialouge, recurring villains... There were a couple of format changes here and there, but it never lasted long, with the games usually going back to their platform shooter roots within a game or two. Most of the deviations weren't completely terrible (with one notable exception gently caress you forever all 4 one), but most fans, myself included, were always glad to go back to the original format.

In 2013 Insomniac announced they were making a movie based off of the original game, designed to make the characters a bit more in line with what the characters act like in the more modern games. They then announced almost immediately thereafter a game based off the movie based off the game. While the movie was a bit of a flop, the game is loving AMAZING. It's goregous, fun, controls extremely well, and is a 10 hour long game that was only $40 at launch. Of course I would be drawn to it immediately. It's so good I'd say it's a strong contender for my Game of the Year this year. The original PS2 games are all non-canon now, but from the looks of things there's going to be more games that bring this new beginning to the PS3 era.

Usually I have Ape and Heave with me to talk over my favorite space cat, but this time I figured I should have someone who has had minimal contact with the series. The point of the game is to be a new jumping off point, a way for people who are new to the series but too intimidated by a large catalog of games to get into it. I want to see if this is true, and good friend and fellow LPer Dex01 of VNDLP is willing to help. He also likes cartoony games with best friend duos. Together we'll be gathering every gold bolt, showing off every weapon, collecting every card (kinda), and saving the galaxy from Chairman Drek as he gathers chunks of planets to make his own planet... again... for the first time.

VIDEOS

Episode 1 - Ratboy and Clunk ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 2 - Swimming Controls ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 3 - Technical Difficulties ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 4 - Mall Pits ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 5 - Pro Hoverboarding ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 6 - Blargian Snagglebeast ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 7 - Billy and Mandy ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 8 - Snow Levels ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 9 - Nerd Patrol ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 10 - Zurkon ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 11 - Puzzles ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 12 - #Gadgetron ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 13 - Gold Bolts
Episode 14 - Buttons ... Uncut ... Cut
Episode 15 - The End ... Uncut ... Cut

CONCEPT ART

Coming soon to an OP near you

OTHER RATCHET & CLANK LPs

As a reboot to the original game to tie the games to the PS3 titles, all of these run the risks of spoilers, but won't necessarially spoil everything.

Ratchet & Clank (2002) by me and Ape
Ratchet & Clank (2002) by Moominbiscuit and Supergraffiti (archives required)
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando by me and Ape
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando by Mike Stout and Tony Garcia (developers of the games, it's a quite interesting watch)
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal by me, Ape, and Heave
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal by Mike Stout and Tony Garcia

And this stuff officially introduces major spoiler territory, as these games are still considered canon by Insomniac.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction by me and Ape (our first LP, basically unwatchable, please don't)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty by me
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time by me and Ape
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One by me, Ape, Heave, and RandomNinja
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus by me and Ape

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Yay, more SpaceCat, and for a great game too.

Are you guys going to do some sort of Let's Watch for the Movie?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I was wondering if you were going to do this one since it's technically a remake of the first game which you already did even though it renders the original as no longer canon anymore.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Spalec posted:

Yay, more SpaceCat, and for a great game too.

Are you guys going to do some sort of Let's Watch for the Movie?

From what I've heard, he basically won't have to because he's playing the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh boy, finally! Everytime I tried to find an LP of the game on youtube everyone was either obnoxious or Bad at Videogames.

This, I can handle.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Oh boy, finally! Everytime I tried to find an LP of the game on youtube everyone was either obnoxious or Bad at Videogames.

This, I can handle.

You say this like I'm not Bad at Videogames.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

You say this like I'm not Bad at Videogames.

But you're not obnoxious though!

Also you edit out running into a wall for seven minutes because you forgot how to control the camera!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
:allears:

Ah, this game... I'm not sure if it's my favorite R&C game, at this point, but it is a fantastic reimagining. It improves on the original game in every conceivable way.

Insomniac still loves this series and the genre, and it really shows here.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hnnnnggg I want a PS4 so badly right now, mainly for this game and the Uncharted series. Other games I really want will come out further down the line as well (most notably Mass Effect Andromeda).

I just got a nice big tax return, so I can afford one right now, and there's a really good deal at a local electronics chain for a 1Tb PS4 plus this game and Uncharted 4. It's totally perfect. I could go buy it today.

But I also want to hold out for the PS4 Neo. gently caress, what do I do :sigh:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 14, 2016

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
"It disassembles itself so it can infiltrate enemy strongholds!"

:allears:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
So does this game completely invalidate the first one?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Miz Kriss posted:

The remake hits the reset buttons on the PS2 games, but the PS3 games are still "canon". I assume this means further games will be made to tie the PS4 titles closer to the PS3 titles.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Miz Kriss posted:

Ratchet was a little bit better in the first one but that's about all I can say in its favor.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Ratchet was a little bit better in the first one but that's about all I can say in its favor.

Ultimate Supreme Executive Chairman Drek was better too.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

The original one is still sorta canon, because this is just Captain Qwark's hype man version of events.

I loved this game so much and I hope it did well enough they make more.

RareAcumen posted:

This, I can handle.

How can anyone be bad at this game, it is so easy even on hard, and I'm terrible at games.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

A brand new shiny update, just for all you wonderful people!

Episode 2 - Swimming Controls ... Uncut ... Cut

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've had this on my "Buy when I have money after I get Deus Ex but before I get Persona" list for a while now. It's an amazingly beautiful game, but I feel it suffers a little bit from being a tie in to the film (Great idea Sony, release a video game movie in the same week as Captain America Civil War).

Super Bunnyhop's review sold me on it as something I'll definitely enjoy, though it'll be nice to use this to cheese my way through the collectables.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Esoteric Banana posted:

How can anyone be bad at this game, it is so easy even on hard, and I'm terrible at games.

Strafing, side jumps, not running of ammo, upgrading weapons, and remembering to use more than one weapon.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Richard Steven Horvitz voice Alpha 5 from the start of the series until they changed the character in Turbo so he was the voice in both movies as well. He was at the Power Rangers convention, Power Morphicon, two years ago. I had him sign my Angry Beavers DVD case.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 19, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Wow. That level was pretty much identical to the original version. I seriously hope that isn't the case going on, because as much as I do enjoy Insomniac's writing, if they've given up on level design that badly I'll be quite disappointed.

Also, while I would enjoy you getting the bouncer, I have played all the previous games and definitely understand how horribly broken it can be.

Final note: The plumber does not show up in Ratchet: Deadlocked, but I believe that is the only game where that is the case. They specifically call themselves out for it right before the end credits.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey look, plumber's crack.

I mean, uh...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The only thing I dislike about this game is that the music is not nearly as good as the original R&C.

Also I was surprised the Plumber wasn't voiced by James Urbaniak since he sounds remarkably like Jonas Venture Jr.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I said in the original thread that I honestly don't think Insomniac knew how to write characters beyond basic jackassery. The only other series they worked on to my knowledge was the Spyro trilogy which didn't have deep characterization, Spyro was a snarky little poo poo that which was alright for the time the trilogy was made. Future was the point where they really learned how to do characterization right.

And it would not surprise me in the least if it was revealed that the Plumber was Insomniac's favorite character in the whole drat R&C franchise at this point since they seem to have a lot of fun with the guy.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Apparently when they wrote Going Commando they went out of their way to give Ratchet scenes where he stands up for Clank because people really soured on Ratchet being an rear end in a top hat to him all the time. It's also part of why the writing is a bit wonky, since they seem to start off at the same place they were circa Crack in Time or so. The writing of the two is definitely aimed more towards veteran players than newcomers in that regard.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Raritanium doesn't predate unobtainium. Unobtainium as a term dates back to the 1950s.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

senrath posted:

Raritanium doesn't predate unobtainium. Unobtainium as a term dates back to the 1950s.

I can't believe James Cameron stole from Ratchet and Clank stealing from the 50's.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I was actually not aware the Bouncer was a preorder bonus (mainly since I didn't preorder the game). My response when I saw it in the video just now was a horrified "oh my god."

I now have an intense desire to get my hands on it and utterly destroy the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Clapping Larry

kalonZombie posted:

I can't believe James Cameron stole from Ratchet and Clank stealing from the 50's.

I can.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

Apparently when they wrote Going Commando they went out of their way to give Ratchet scenes where he stands up for Clank because people really soured on Ratchet being an rear end in a top hat to him all the time. It's also part of why the writing is a bit wonky, since they seem to start off at the same place they were circa Crack in Time or so. The writing of the two is definitely aimed more towards veteran players than newcomers in that regard.

I feel like while Going Commando and Crack in Time were written under the assumption that you played the previous games, it's more noticeable in GC since it and Up Your Arsenal were still in that awkward time regarding Insomniac's character writing though the latter less so admittedly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Awesome, I was hoping to see this sooner or later. I really like R&C even if the number of them I've beaten is oddly scarce. The original, UYA, Deadlocked, and All 4 One. I figure within a couple of videos I'll make the decision to buy it for myself.

I paid money to see the movie in theaters. It was not good. It was so not good that I actually forgot I even did that until I saw this thread.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I didn't know there was a movie until maybe a week before it came out, and there were advertisements on tv about it.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Miz Kriss posted:

I didn't know there was a movie until maybe a week before it came out, and there were advertisements on tv about it.

I got caught up a bit in the hype, but yeah- like I said upthread, Sony launching this film so close to Civil War was part of the reason why it died, and the lack of real advertisement was another reason. I mean, it was an early summer animated kids movie based on a long running and beloved game series, this should have broke bank in seconds.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is there a reason why Doctor Nefarious isn't a robot?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

I got caught up a bit in the hype, but yeah- like I said upthread, Sony launching this film so close to Civil War was part of the reason why it died, and the lack of real advertisement was another reason. I mean, it was an early summer animated kids movie based on a long running and beloved game series, this should have broke bank in seconds.

And I just thought that the reason was that it just wasn't that great. I mean, that's just word of mouth though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It hasn't happened yet.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

And I just thought that the reason was that it just wasn't that great. I mean, that's just word of mouth though.

I've heard mixed reports about the actual quality of the film itself- I know a fair few R&C fans who loved it and felt it came right out the game, but a fair few critics felt that Ratchet went through the standard Hero's Journey plot.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Whoops, forgot to post this yesterday. Instead I saw Kubo and the Two Strings. Great movie!

Episode 3 - Technical Difficulties ... Uncut ... Cut

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This is the first Ratchet game I've played and so far I've loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A HALO jump is "High Altitude, Low Open" the idea being that you open your chute as close to the ground as possible to avoid detection (Since your chute is much larger than you are and will catch light differently) but if you open too late you're going to break your legs or die.

• Locked thread