Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:synpa:

Kalon, how dare you not tell me about this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm so happy Quark is still a glory-hog :allears:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I was really hoping there would be extra dialogue if you took a swipe/shot at Qwark's statue.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To elaborate on Kalon's statement about Kerwan being a demo level, it was the train section specifically that was part of the demo. I know this cause one of the Gamestops near me had the demo.

Game length and price have always been a balancing act cause on the other end you have endless padding which can be obnoxious as loving hell. And I would've loved to get the Katsuya Kondo artbook for Jade Cocoon and JC2 cause I love the creature design in those games.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm a Brit and my copy was called Up Your Arsenal :buddy:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
When I'm considering if I got my money's worth out of a game, I usually (If buying used) consider if I got an hour's playtime for each dollar I spent. When buying new, it's usually because I love the franchise enough to do it.

I think the compare and contrast between Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3 makes the point well- Inquisition's overworld gameplay feels like an MMO more than anything else, with limited choices and a lot of stilted quests. You're only exploring because you need to level grind. Witcher 3, meanwhile, has a metric hellton of quests, locations and NPCs to interact with, and there's tons to do- collect Witcher armour, play Gwent, do horse racing, or do Geralt's actual job and hunt monsters. All of it, barring Gwent, feels perfectly natural in the game world and, more importantly, it feels fun to do and always feels worth your time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Inquisition is grindy to the point of "collect 10 bear asses." You can't cover that up with Bioware romance writing and samey combat that vomits particle effects.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Al having a fur texture.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Al having a fur texture.

It's a bit odd I admit but I think like Ratchet, he was always meant to be mammalian to begin with.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

noooo he's clearly rubbery and amphibian

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

He definitely had hair to begin with, so y'all are weird and wrong.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 29, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I've finally got a PS4 so I can play this game for myself at last! I think it's better mechanically than the original but the story is way worse. Sure Ratchet isn't an rear end in a top hat anymore but neither is anyone else and it takes some of the fun out of it for me. Also the reliance on movie clips makes it feel really disjointed in places.

Onnn the other hand, it's Ratchet 1 but with Mr. Zurkon.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Speaking of, Dex finally gets to experience the greatness that is Mr. Zurkon for the first time. Also, Skidd McMarx doesn't pretend to have a sprained ankle in this... he actually has one.

Episode 4 - Mall Pits ... Uncut ... Cut

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah the non movie cutscenes are pretty lame especially compared to the older games where they put a lot of character and life into the scenes

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah the non movie cutscenes are pretty lame especially compared to the older games where they put a lot of character and life into the scenes

The movie cutscenes aren't too much better

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
When you were talking about TF2 killing TF2, I thought you were talking about how it broke itself and completely disregarded what made TF2 playable with the "Be more like Overwatch" update

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

FicusArt posted:

When you were talking about TF2 killing TF2, I thought you were talking about how it broke itself and completely disregarded what made TF2 playable with the "Be more like Overwatch" update

That and the focus on making classes balanced weirdly (read: bad (what buff the pyro okay well nerf him and also buff sniper)).

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure all the weird trophies/achievements in this game take the place of skill points. Because there aren't any skill points in this game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Spoilers for past Dex: The hoverboarding is actually bad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Somebody did dog gone mention Chrono Trigger.
It's the best. It has a 'dark' moment or two but it's overall a positive JRPG about a bunch of teens and their pals saving the world with Time Travel without any paradoxes or chaos butterfly effects mucking it up. Also it's actually really good about being replayable.

Also I agree that the in game cutscenes in this were a bit stilted. Also also way to pick one of the chattiest levels to introduce Mr. Zirkon Kalon :colbert:

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Spoilers for past Dex: The hoverboarding is actually bad.

Though i wouldn't have missed the races if they had scrapped them, they are (imho) at least better than the races in the original. (On normal, i was able to get all cups with relatively few tries).

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

They also patched the hoverboarding so that it no longer cheats. I talk about that a bit,

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kalon, I'm not sure if you were corrected about episode 3, but you can buy half the golden weapons in vanilla RC1 after the space base chapter.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I miss Drek's original VA. Keven Michael Richardson, I think?

After you rescue the agent, during the pan back to Skidd's ship, there's a gold bolt in a dump truck. Not worth collecting it now or can't reach it?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Kalon, I'm not sure if you were corrected about episode 3, but you can buy half the golden weapons in vanilla RC1 after the space base chapter.

They're so expensive you might as well save them until New Game+, so my statement holds (honestly I forgot about those, thanks for clarification on that).

queserasera posted:

After you rescue the agent, during the pan back to Skidd's ship, there's a gold bolt in a dump truck. Not worth collecting it now or can't reach it?

You can't get it yet. Don't worry, I'll be going back towards the end for any gold bolts I either missed or couldn't get.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the Jak game Dex is thinking of in the video is Jak X, which... ehhhhh. Not that great! I did like the story, but I understand why others wouldn't.

Edit: If you are playing any R&C game with Mr. Zurkon in it and you don't have a Zurkon with you at all times, you are doing it wrong.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

The proto-Mr. Zurkon actually showed up in Going Commando, and even that was an improved version of a weapon that showed up in the very first game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I'm on vacation from work this week!

All work.

No update until next week.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Somebody did dog gone mention Chrono Trigger.
It's the best. It has a 'dark' moment or two but it's overall a positive JRPG about a bunch of teens and their pals saving the world with Time Travel without any paradoxes or chaos butterfly effects mucking it up. Also it's actually really good about being replayable.

Also I agree that the in game cutscenes in this were a bit stilted. Also also way to pick one of the chattiest levels to introduce Mr. Zirkon Kalon :colbert:

Then there's FF5, whose Game Boy Advance version has an absolutely superb translation, and the game is deep enough that people still do yearly challenge runs of the darn thing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally I never thought the whole "pay to continue the story" thing was too horribly bad. I had a couple times where I needed to grind bolts, but as long as you don't buy a weapon as soon as it's avalible and wait for...a planet or two? You can usually have enough bolts to buy it, the weapons you passed up along it AND every plot required item and infobot without any real trouble.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Oh whoops. Meant to post this earlier but uh yeah have an update.

Episode 5 - Pro Hoverboarding ... Uncut ... Cut

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

They patched hoverboarding? Goddammit

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On whether the exterminators are robots you actually managed to open the shop just as it was being explained in game, the mayor says they've brought in extermination robots but they don't identify between trespassers and citizens or something, the automatic tanks are to speed up the process so they can turn them off and get them out faster.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The Groovitron is completely amazing in every way, and I hold Tools of Destruction dear to my heart for giving it to us. It is so god drat useful, especially in this game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The true question is:

Does the Groovitron also make Mr. Zurkon dance as he murders everything?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if anyone else has already, but I guess I'm the first "Bought the game because the LP made it look good" purchase of the thread.

That and I had 20 euros worth of credit at Gamestop, so the game only cost me 15 euro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kalon no, that's too informative, that's information that should've been a constant effort to forget! You can't go bringing it up again willingly!

And why would you call it an easter egg? That's totally an unintended accident- and furthermore :goonsay:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

The true question is:

Does the Groovitron also make Mr. Zurkon dance as he murders everything?

The groovitron makes Ratchet, Clank, the Gadgetron vendor, and Mr. Zurkon dance when they're out of combat. In combat, it only affects enemies.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Sel Nar posted:

The groovitron makes Ratchet, Clank, the Gadgetron vendor, and Mr. Zurkon dance when they're out of combat. In combat, it only affects enemies.
There isn't an :allears: big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Wait, I don't know this multi-retcon story! Dangit, Kalon! Now I'm just terribly curious.

• Locked thread