Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Believe it or not, it's actually within the power of even mentally ill people to take a pill every day, or realize when they didn't and act accordingly. And doctors know that medical interactions exist and factor that in when they prescribe medications

Those statistics are inherently unreliable due to the nature of self-reporting anyway. There's no way to tell how many people saying they used it perfectly actually did.

Vasectomies / tubal ligations are still pretty awesome, though. My wife is probably getting her tubes tied when it's practical.

It is certainly possible that you are perfect and thus pills will work just fine for you. The fact that they did not use a condom every time and he talks about keeping them in his pocket indicates that the op is not perfect and in fact is not very good at using condoms. For those of us not perfect enough to check condoms for tears every time and ensure that condoms are stored at all times within the proper temperature range, they are not effective birth control. If his partner was not perfect enough to abstain for several days every time she got a stomach bug her birth control was also not perfect. The average person needs to use more effective birth control as demonstrated by those statistics.

My main point was that it is stupid to jump to infidelity because his condom usage as described has very little impact on the probability of them having children. If she did anything nefarious it was probably just tossing the pills in the trash. In reality she probably just missed a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm not a chick, my any girl I've ever dated has always told me that if they messed up more than 1 day, they could take 2 the next day, but if they messed up another day, it was back to condoms for the rest of the month. If she's missed a "few" it pretty much means that she's lying to her partner. It's not like it's an giant unlabeled bottle of vitamins.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's fair, it's certainly possible for people to get pregnant even with precautions like those. My objection was to the suggestion that the pill is ineffective when used properly, there's always a small chance of failure.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There's really no point to quibbling about the improbability of the pregnancy, it's already happened.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WampaLord posted:

There's really no point to quibbling about the improbability of the pregnancy, it's already happened.

When you are talking onto the internet there is always a bigger audience than just the OP. I don't want a bunch of people going and throwing their contraception away because the internet told them it was barely better than nothing.

As for the OP, what's done is done, but it's worth brushing up their contraceptive technique so that baby 1 isn't followed quickly by baby 2. It's worth knowing that breastfeeding doesn't protect against pregnancy all that well; it is best to resume contraception as soon as they plan to resume sex after the birth.

• Locked thread