Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

just do what ugly men do, lots of drugs/alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
get ugly tattoos and a bad haircut and make youtube videos

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think they have industrial grinders for the ugly chicks

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Unironically work out and lose weight

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

get ugly tattoos and a bad haircut and make youtube videos
or don't get the tattoos and get a wig instead of a haircut and smash your hand with a hammer, burn yourself with a cigarette, staple things to yourself, etc

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
just be yourself dude(tte)

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Get these

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

or don't get the tattoos and get a wig instead of a haircut and smash your hand with a hammer, burn yourself with a cigarette, staple things to yourself, etc

ah yes the ol Shmorky routine

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Linux Pirate posted:

ah yes the ol Shmorky routine
No, the shmorky routine is rubbing your taint until you believe it's a vagina.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

No, the shmorky routine is rubbing your taint until you believe it's a vagina.

gotta work out them gumguts

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Join a Roller Derby

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Decebal posted:

Get these

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

I don't need to lose any weight. I work out but its just made my chest smaller

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

just be yourself dude(tte)
I was online chatting with this guy and when I sent him my pic he stopped replying

Decebal posted:

Get these

Ur right; it's time

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

i like that posted:

I was online chatting with this guy and when I sent him my pic he stopped replying

:thejoke: 'just be yourself' is the most useless advice ever

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xemLz_fR1Ac

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I know AIB and really the opposite is true I just wanted to say my anecdote on my patheticness.........

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Volume posted:

It's a tough world out there… full of awkward first dates, bad sex and limited chances at orgasms.

Men now associate the dating landscape with the same risks many face going into the arctic tundra.

It's cold, uncomfortable and it’s more than likely that you'll die before getting that fire lit.

After years of bad trips and valuable packing lessons, we go in a little more prepared each time. We've learned tips, tricks and lessons that could only be experienced firsthand, quickly learning the scams, the women who are just trying to swindle you and certain places we will just never go again.

We've changed our clothes, hair and grooming styles to fit the destination, yet there's something we can't seem to change that's making the journey a treacherous hike. Something we can't hide and something we refuse to keep at home. Something we won't check at baggage claim or give up at customs.

Unfortunately, for men, niceness many times hinders our travels and keeps us from the promise land. Because, for all you bright and nice men out there, what you feel is real… nice guys are more likely to be single.

The popular saying “ignorance is bliss” doesn't exactly cover the broad spectrum of woes men feel as they sit alone Friday nights with no one to discuss Nietzsche or read lines from Proust with.

It doesn't assuage a man's pain as his parents ask where his girlfriend is and why he can't find a good woman.

The saying should be something closer to “Assholes get the girl and nice guys never feel bliss.”

But why is this? Why don't women want men with whom they can converse and who challenge them? When did the aversion to kind and nice guys become a code orange? When did everyone just want to go to the Bahamas and lie around?

In an article by “The Wire,” financial reporter, John Carney, gives one explanation for this phenomenon, deducing, “Women date less nice guys not because they want ‘men to be assholes, but rather because they want ‘someone who prioritizes their life in a way that's compatible with how you prioritize yours.’”

Basically, they want someone who isn't ever going to let his career come before making dinner and pleasing them first.

They want a man who is rear end in a top hat enough to make them a priority and, unfortunately, for all those sane, rational and nice guys out there, there's a hefty number of these men out there.

There are plenty of men who will give up their lives for women, who will refuse to challenge them, fight them and refuse to see them as their equals, but their saviors.

Then again, deciding what kind of man you are is like choosing between a rock and a hard place. If you're an rear end in a top hat, you're not taken seriously, but if you're nice guy, you’re taken too seriously. Men everywhere are flailing under this double-edged sword. A strong, rear end in a top hat male isn't desirable for his mind, and those with strong characters are seen as threatening, masculine and undesirable.

A study conducted with 121 British participants reported findings that males with high niceness in male/female relationships were seen as problematic.

Their intelligence were predicted to cause problems in the relationships. Whereas, high niceness in the female partner was not seen as problematic, but desirable.

These cultural stereotypes and gender biases are inhibiting men from being seen as equals. Rational and nice guys are being ignored and chastised for their intelligence.

Those men who teach you, show you and help you grow are being picked over, combed through and dumped for guys with shirts that show a little too much skin and sports cars.

Of course there are plenty of men out there with girlfriends who are intelligent. This is not to come at men with girlfriends, but to assuage that nagging, pestering pain all nice guys feel as women continually take them out to dinner, have a great time then decide they’re not worth the work.

First really is the worst

There's an epidemic of settling in this generation. Men everywhere are dipping far below their standards just to find women who appreciate them. They are giving up things they thought they wanted for nothing more than a simple “She's good to me.”

Where's the woman who was supposed to challenge you and understand you? Where's the man who was supposed to shock you and support you?

In an article by “The Daily Mail,” Minister of Universities David Willetts asserts, “Nice guys will have to 'marry down' by choosing partners less qualified than them – and may increasingly select women based on how supportive they might be to their careers, rather than whether they can support them sexually.”

Judging from the notion that female egos aren't deflating at the same rate at which men are increasing their education, there's an uneven scale here. men are getting nicer, but women aren't getting more supportive.

Most people like to be the better one in the relationship. Women have been taught or conditioned to believe they are superior, when a man shows a nice edge, she becomes threatened.

The number of nice men now outweighs the number of nice women, which in turn has diminished options in the dating pool. Women aren't ready to accept being second in the nice competition and this is causing men to either settle or stay single.

You forget to eat the whole cake

Intelligence breeds ambition, which breeds neglect. Neglect for love, girlfriends and years spent pursuing that MRS Degree. Neglect in college, focusing on studies rather than finding a girl and neglect at work, refusing to spend nights out at bars and clubs.

Unfortunately, for all those men who thought a woman would come later, other men capitalized on their youth, snatching up all the girlfriends and wives while they focused on building their careers.

Men went into college with an intent to come out husbands, slowly but steadily snatching up the number of available women for all those men who chose to attack their professional dreams.

This phenomenon only increases as men leave college. Becoming frustrated with their lack of love and work harder in achieving professional success to fill the void. Dr. Alex Banner of “The Huffington Post” explains that men are compensating for their unsuccessful dating careers with successful professional careers, and it's only widening the gap.

Big minds are like big balls

You may be sensitive, sweet and insecure, but your intelligence makes you threatening. You may not have muscles and a big d*ck, but women will look at you as competition.

You are intimidating and emasculating. While most nice guys aren't pompous or arrogant about it, many times women assume they are. They assume the man is going to correct them, upstage them or, God-forbid, make them feel worthless.

In an article published by “The Daily Beast,” Dr. Eileen Pollack explains, “There are all these contradictions that are propagated in our culture that make it seem like you can't be nice and sexy. I don't think most of us challenge the paradigms, we just absorb them.”

If a man seems too smart or nice, he's typecast as “non-dating material.” If he's loyal and supportive, he's viewed as challenging and overbearing.

Society has come to teach men that being kind and nice won't get you dates, but empty heads and shallow hearts.

I hate you

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

haha, you didn't read that did you?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Hey, hey, hey... hey guys I got one! Check this out.

(ahem)

Why don't you make a topic in GBS about it?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
When I was a senior in high school and the prom was coming up, I truly believed that a guy I had never talked to was going to come up to me and ask me out just because I was pretty (at least, I think so!). I've always seen movies where a guy approaches a random girl at a museum or store, says hey you're pretty, then they go on a date, then they're together. The same thing happens all the time on reality TV as well.

I have not had male friends - always tended to go for female friends, I just had this feeling that we were more alike, you know? It was only when I was 22 years old that my father told me, people don't just go up to each other and then start being in a relationship. They interact on a regular basis first, for example as friends or in class or at a job or in an organisation.

The ways where I've asked men out are
1) Me: Hi my name is Majka (nickname - don't like to put real name on here for privacy). What's your name? Them: Aaron Me: Do you think I'm pretty? Them: Yes Me: Thanks. So do you want to go on a date? Them: No
2) Me (I utilise this at people's place of work where there isn't as much time to talk to them): Hi I'm Majka. You seem like a friendly guy. Want to go on a date? Them: No
3) Me: Hi I'm Majka, and you? Them: Darek Me: Cool, I'm majoring in accountancy and you? Them: Biology Me: Sweet. My interests are art and nature, how about you? Them: Music and movies Me: That's nice. Want to go on a date? Them: No

See, I know full well that if I were to get to know someone over time I could be in a relationship and if I had male friends I'd be asked out eventually. However, I AM desperate - I've liked guys since I was 12 and seriously started being interested at 17. It's been a decade. I've talked to guys thinking OK I won't bring up dating/relationships and then next thing you know I'm asking them if they want to be a boyfriend. This is just how I am and I'm not willing to change.

It's annoying that I've had severe depression for 11 years because of my desire for a partner though! Over the past 11 years I have done stereotypically fun things - snorkeling, kayaking, swimming, ice skating, playing piano, singing, visited museums, parks, gardens, botanic gardens, gone to stereotypically fun places that many people say they dream of - NYC, London, Paris, participated in many student organisations at uni, getting to know different cultures, having close friends that I saw or talked to on the phone every day, going to fun social events most days of the week (wasn't really focused on studies), created my own Meetup group which was one of the most popular ones at the time (but had to give it up due to embarrassment at asking out and being rejected by 2 men as I latched onto a man and asked him to date me at the events). My point is, it's ironic that I've had all these great experiences and I've still felt miserable to the point I can barely stand it all this time! Now, I don't feel depressed all day every day, but a great part of each day~

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Hey, hey, hey... hey guys I got one! Check this out.

(ahem)

Why don't you make a topic in GBS about it?

I loving hate you

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Was expecting a skylark thread at first.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Volume posted:

It's a tough world out there… full of awkward first dates, bad sex and limited chances at orgasms.

Men now associate the dating landscape with the same risks many face going into the arctic tundra.

It's cold, uncomfortable and it’s more than likely that you'll die before getting that fire lit.

After years of bad trips and valuable packing lessons, we go in a little more prepared each time. We've learned tips, tricks and lessons that could only be experienced firsthand, quickly learning the scams, the women who are just trying to swindle you and certain places we will just never go again.

We've changed our clothes, hair and grooming styles to fit the destination, yet there's something we can't seem to change that's making the journey a treacherous hike. Something we can't hide and something we refuse to keep at home. Something we won't check at baggage claim or give up at customs.

Unfortunately, for men, niceness many times hinders our travels and keeps us from the promise land. Because, for all you bright and nice men out there, what you feel is real… nice guys are more likely to be single.

The popular saying “ignorance is bliss” doesn't exactly cover the broad spectrum of woes men feel as they sit alone Friday nights with no one to discuss Nietzsche or read lines from Proust with.

It doesn't assuage a man's pain as his parents ask where his girlfriend is and why he can't find a good woman.

The saying should be something closer to “Assholes get the girl and nice guys never feel bliss.”

But why is this? Why don't women want men with whom they can converse and who challenge them? When did the aversion to kind and nice guys become a code orange? When did everyone just want to go to the Bahamas and lie around?

In an article by “The Wire,” financial reporter, John Carney, gives one explanation for this phenomenon, deducing, “Women date less nice guys not because they want ‘men to be assholes, but rather because they want ‘someone who prioritizes their life in a way that's compatible with how you prioritize yours.’”

Basically, they want someone who isn't ever going to let his career come before making dinner and pleasing them first.

They want a man who is rear end in a top hat enough to make them a priority and, unfortunately, for all those sane, rational and nice guys out there, there's a hefty number of these men out there.

There are plenty of men who will give up their lives for women, who will refuse to challenge them, fight them and refuse to see them as their equals, but their saviors.

Then again, deciding what kind of man you are is like choosing between a rock and a hard place. If you're an rear end in a top hat, you're not taken seriously, but if you're nice guy, you’re taken too seriously. Men everywhere are flailing under this double-edged sword. A strong, rear end in a top hat male isn't desirable for his mind, and those with strong characters are seen as threatening, masculine and undesirable.

A study conducted with 121 British participants reported findings that males with high niceness in male/female relationships were seen as problematic.

Their intelligence were predicted to cause problems in the relationships. Whereas, high niceness in the female partner was not seen as problematic, but desirable.

These cultural stereotypes and gender biases are inhibiting men from being seen as equals. Rational and nice guys are being ignored and chastised for their intelligence.

Those men who teach you, show you and help you grow are being picked over, combed through and dumped for guys with shirts that show a little too much skin and sports cars.

Of course there are plenty of men out there with girlfriends who are intelligent. This is not to come at men with girlfriends, but to assuage that nagging, pestering pain all nice guys feel as women continually take them out to dinner, have a great time then decide they’re not worth the work.

First really is the worst

There's an epidemic of settling in this generation. Men everywhere are dipping far below their standards just to find women who appreciate them. They are giving up things they thought they wanted for nothing more than a simple “She's good to me.”

Where's the woman who was supposed to challenge you and understand you? Where's the man who was supposed to shock you and support you?

In an article by “The Daily Mail,” Minister of Universities David Willetts asserts, “Nice guys will have to 'marry down' by choosing partners less qualified than them – and may increasingly select women based on how supportive they might be to their careers, rather than whether they can support them sexually.”

Judging from the notion that female egos aren't deflating at the same rate at which men are increasing their education, there's an uneven scale here. men are getting nicer, but women aren't getting more supportive.

Most people like to be the better one in the relationship. Women have been taught or conditioned to believe they are superior, when a man shows a nice edge, she becomes threatened.

The number of nice men now outweighs the number of nice women, which in turn has diminished options in the dating pool. Women aren't ready to accept being second in the nice competition and this is causing men to either settle or stay single.

You forget to eat the whole cake

Intelligence breeds ambition, which breeds neglect. Neglect for love, girlfriends and years spent pursuing that MRS Degree. Neglect in college, focusing on studies rather than finding a girl and neglect at work, refusing to spend nights out at bars and clubs.

Unfortunately, for all those men who thought a woman would come later, other men capitalized on their youth, snatching up all the girlfriends and wives while they focused on building their careers.

Men went into college with an intent to come out husbands, slowly but steadily snatching up the number of available women for all those men who chose to attack their professional dreams.

This phenomenon only increases as men leave college. Becoming frustrated with their lack of love and work harder in achieving professional success to fill the void. Dr. Alex Banner of “The Huffington Post” explains that men are compensating for their unsuccessful dating careers with successful professional careers, and it's only widening the gap.

Big minds are like big balls

You may be sensitive, sweet and insecure, but your intelligence makes you threatening. You may not have muscles and a big d*ck, but women will look at you as competition.

You are intimidating and emasculating. While most nice guys aren't pompous or arrogant about it, many times women assume they are. They assume the man is going to correct them, upstage them or, God-forbid, make them feel worthless.

In an article published by “The Daily Beast,” Dr. Eileen Pollack explains, “There are all these contradictions that are propagated in our culture that make it seem like you can't be nice and sexy. I don't think most of us challenge the paradigms, we just absorb them.”

If a man seems too smart or nice, he's typecast as “non-dating material.” If he's loyal and supportive, he's viewed as challenging and overbearing.

Society has come to teach men that being kind and nice won't get you dates, but empty heads and shallow hearts.

Same.

Also Im glad i have a gf because apparently in the two years since 2014 the entire dating world has gone to poo poo.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

in the ten years since 2006 the entire... world has gone to poo poo.

ftfy

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

haha, you didn't read that did you?
Lol god no I just saw "volume" and skipped it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol god no I just saw "volume" and skipped it

:wink:

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Decebal posted:

Get these

Ah, the female fedora

anyway you should probably develop an actual personality, study hard in school, get a high-paying job to cover the cosmetic surgery necessary to finally reign supreme at the highschool reunion.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Wow, the elusive "Nice Girl". Also she sounds a bit unhinged.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

je1 healthcare posted:

Ah, the female fedora

anyway you should probably develop an actual personality, study hard in school, get a high-paying job to cover the cosmetic surgery necessary to finally reign supreme at the highschool reunion.

what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moridin920 posted:

work out and have a sickhouse body

after that there's very little an expensive haircut and well done makeup can't handle

This is really good advice and over half the battle right there. Add a decent/outgoing personality, and you can compete with hotter chicks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Basically everything is aesthetics. If you're ugly then find an equally ugly man and ask him for date or sex. Most of the time they say yes.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I'd gently caress you...

....in the dark.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Wow i wish a girl was that forward with me id jump in bed with them no questions asked.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tony Homo posted:

I'd gently caress you...

....in the dark.

I'd gently caress me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXNfifKQU0

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Basically everything is aesthetics. If you're ugly then find an equally ugly man and ask him for date or sex. Most of the time they say yes.
I don't think that's true. Ugly guys can have some pretty high standards.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

you need to try becoming a cuckquean

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Get a show on TLC.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Tell everyone on Twitter that you make video games (making an actual video game is optional).

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

various cheeses posted:

Also people like butts, so squats and jogging will give you a nice butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Call me:bigtran:

• Locked thread