Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Batman RIP batmobile looked great with the red windows. And speaking of the flying Batmobile, please tell me that Bat Cow, Alfred the Cat, and Titus the dog haven't disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Die Laughing posted:

The Batman RIP batmobile looked great with the red windows. And speaking of the flying Batmobile, please tell me that Bat Cow, Alfred the Cat, and Titus the dog haven't disappeared.

They were last seen in Robin: Son of Batman #9, where Damian introduced them to Goliath.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Travis343 posted:

My ideal Batman smiles sometimes. Sometimes because he's amused or satisfied and occasionally because it's scary when he smiles. And sorry dude there's a wide, wide gulf dividing Conroy's Batman in the Arkham games and his Batman in B:TAS. I don't know if it is the material, the knowledge that he's acting for a more 'adult' audience in the games, or the voice directing.
There's a difference between early BTAS and late JLU too.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a difference between early BTAS and late JLU too.

Yeah, there used to be a more clear distinction between his Bruce voice and Batman voice. Although it could be argued that that was a character choice considering how his personality became more "Batman" through the course of the DCAU resulting in grumpy rear end in a top hat old Bruce in Batman Beyond who says he refers himself as Batman in his thoughts.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There were about 15 years between early BTAS and late JLU. Conroy aged from a spry 35 or 36, to hitting 50 (and was rumored to have health problems for a while, for whatever rumor is worth). By the end, his voice might not have been comfortable in the early BTAS Bruce range anymore.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Late, but I absolutely loved the end of the last issue Batman and I found it a really powerful, effective conclusion to an arc that really came together in the final couple of issues. I'm actually really interested in seeing a Gotham Girl Year One.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squizzle posted:

There were about 15 years between early BTAS and late JLU. Conroy aged from a spry 35 or 36, to hitting 50 (and was rumored to have health problems for a while, for whatever rumor is worth). By the end, his voice might not have been comfortable in the early BTAS Bruce range anymore.

I'm quite comfortable saying voice direction still played a big part. If one looks at New Adventures' Bruce Wayne design, it's easy to imagine Kevin was told to Batman up the Bruce voice a bit.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
So the DC app on iPad just put up a Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles volume 1 collection. Dumb fun or just dumb? Worth checking out or nah?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't read it but everyone says it's quite good.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

monkeu posted:

So the DC app on iPad just put up a Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles volume 1 collection. Dumb fun or just dumb? Worth checking out or nah?

I really enjoyed it. Lots of self-aware dumb fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it on sale or just came out?

Either way, the sequel comic they're doing is intriguing. It's a crossover between BTAS and the current TMNT cartoon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I adore this version of Clayface. He was so upset he had to scare those people.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm not the world's biggest Tim Drake fan (I mean, I like him, don't get me wrong) but god loving drat it if that final page of this week's Detective Comics isn't inspiring as poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sorry for the doublepost, but:

A couple of weeks ago, someone mentioned that the three best Batman stories are TKJ/TDKR/Year One (or, that if you were to quiz a random person that's what would be presented). I'm interested in testing that, so made up a strawpoll so everyone can choose what they consider to be the three "best" Batman stories. I think I've covered pretty much every conceivable choice one could realistically make, so go crazy.

Anyways, here's the link.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Where's Batman Confidential #49?

Slightly more seriously, No Man's Land should probably be on there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress, I knew I forgot at least one big. I crosschecked multiple "These are the best Batman stories ever written" clickbait lists too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wasn't there a 70s Return of the Demon/Brides of the Demon or something with Ra's that's popular???

I mean, we all want to vote for Heart of Ice but since that didn't come out in the pulps first...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Morrison [...] best Batman story ever written

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBAijg5Betw

Jokes aside, if we're just saying best Batman stories period without limiting it to comic first, one of my favorite (maybe all-time favorite?) Batman stories is Batman Beyond Return Of The Joker. That poo poo rules.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 26, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Toxxupation posted:

A couple of weeks ago, someone mentioned that the three best Batman stories are TKJ/TDKR/Year One (or, that if you were to quiz a random person that's what would be presented). I'm interested in testing that, so made up a strawpoll so everyone can choose what they consider to be the three "best" Batman stories. I think I've covered pretty much every conceivable choice one could realistically make, so go crazy.

The Killing Joke is going to get buried, Year One may or may not make it, and DKR will probably still be the top but there will be vocal opposition.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Finally, someone agrees.

FilthyImp posted:

Wasn't there a 70s Return of the Demon/Brides of the Demon or something with Ra's that's popular???

Is that the one that had Batman shirtless but still wearing his mask? And swinging around a sabre? Because that was :krad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't believe 3 of you schmucks voted for Long Halloween.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Is that the one that had Batman shirtless but still wearing his mask? And swinging around a sabre? Because that was :krad:
Yeah, Batman #244 - "The Demon Lives Again!"

It's in Tales of the Demon (the 70s O'Neil Batman / Ra's collection), which I should really grab at some point.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

It's awesome.

Okay, admittedly, it may not be the objective best, but it's my favorite and it'll lose anyway so no harm.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Toxxupation posted:

I have read tragically few of those, but I will take the time to ask: where's Batman vs. Predator Toxx?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This is what I love about Batman, someone can take the time to make a list like that and you still have multiple people in two separate threads asking "Where is (story), this list is worthless."

By the way why aren't Matt Wagner's Dark Moon Rising stories on that list??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BATMAN BATFACT: The best take on the Riddler was making him a private detective.

The worst take was this:

Wholly inexplicable.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Batman: Black and White sold quite well, thank you very much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

BATMAN BATFACT: The best take on the Riddler was making him a private detective.

The worst take was this:

Wholly inexplicable.

You best not be talking poo poo about Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, pal or you and me are gonna have a falling out. With fists. :mad:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

You best not be talking poo poo about Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, pal or you and me are gonna have a falling out. With fists. :mad:

A fisting out, as they say.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Jeez I forgot all about Lonely Place of Dying...gonna go dig those out and re-read 'em.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't but Tim Sale artwork alone puts it in my top 5.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Long Halloween is mostly good with some dumb stuff. It's Dark Victory that's mostly dumb with some good stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Long Halloween is mostly good with some dumb stuff. It's Dark Victory that's mostly dumb with some good stuff.

Sure, but it's not good enough to be GOAT by a longshot. And Loeb stole all the two-face stuff from a better comic that's not even on the list.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Zero Year is getting played. What on Earth is Year 100? The adventures of Damian's grandchild?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SonicRulez posted:

Zero Year is getting played. What on Earth is Year 100? The adventures of Damian's grandchild?

A four issue miniseries from 2006 that frequently shows up at or near the top of "best of" lists. It's set in 2039 - 100 years after Batman's premiere - and centers around a futuristic, dystopian police state Gotham. The Batman in those issues more resembles a feral animal, judging from panel pictures off Google search.

I included it because, again, constantly shows up at or near the top of "25 Batman stories to read before you die"-esque lists. Haven't read it. The character design for Batman unnerves me greatly.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 27, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

The Batman in those issues more resembles a feral animal, judging from panel pictures off Google search.

You've been fooled by a cunning disguise, chum! Plastic vampire teeth.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Paul Pope rocking it, that's what it is.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Year 100 was definitely one of my top 3 from that list. Fantastic story. Paul Pope does some great Batman. For a more conventional Batman, his story from Black & White was also terrific, with a young Bats getting his nose broken for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Zero Year is getting played.

Good:colbert:

• Locked thread