Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Perry Normal posted:

Year 100 was definitely one of my top 3 from that list. Fantastic story. Paul Pope does some great Batman. For a more conventional Batman, his story from Black & White was also terrific, with a young Bats getting his nose broken for the first time.

His "sidekicks" in Solo was also an awesome Batman (well Robin) story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Took the poll and got the top three in order. Weird.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Apparently I'm the only person who voted for Laughing Fish.

Also, whoever voted for 'Hush', I'm very disappointed in you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is the greatest strawpoll travesty since I made a strawpoll about who the best Ninja Turtle was and everyone voted for Donatello.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

This is the greatest strawpoll travesty since I made a strawpoll about who the best Ninja Turtle was and everyone voted for Donatello.

I, too, get mad when people are objectively correct.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The best Ninja Turtle is Leonardo though?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I, too, get mad when people are objectively correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvWWR34fsM

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's no best Ninja Turtle. Any one is incomplete without the other three.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

The best Ninja Turtle is Leonardo though?

I don't see why everybody is so mean to you, you clearly know what you're talking about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Rafael can easily carry a story on his own.

He is the only one, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rafael isn't as cool as Mickey Langello.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Stop talking about the Ninja Turtles drat you I just bought the Batman / TMNT collection because of this :argh:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Madkal posted:

His "sidekicks" in Solo was also an awesome Batman (well Robin) story.

Now I've got something new to look for, thanks!

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Perry Normal posted:

Year 100 was definitely one of my top 3 from that list. Fantastic story. Paul Pope does some great Batman. For a more conventional Batman, his story from Black & White was also terrific, with a young Bats getting his nose broken for the first time.

Paul Pope's Batman of Berlin is still the strangest Elseworlds Batman to me, because "Batman operating in Nazi Germany" is a really cool premise and then during the story Batman has to save Ludwig Von Mises and the epilogue is that Batman never stopped loving libertarianism and almost none of the rest of the story is about that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Batman Never Stopped Loving Libertarianism

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blockhouse posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Batman Never Stopped Loving Libertarianism

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just had a dream where the next Detective Comics came out and Tim Drake totally doesn't die. He gets saved by Apollo I think. Everyone then goes chill on the beach and Clayface complains about the sand and scares some children. Stephanie sounds like Tracer from Overwatch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the issue makes it so obvious Tim is going to die that I actually don't think he's going to die. It may be a Hawkeye in AoU situation where they swerve and...kill someone else instead.

:lost:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Travis343 posted:

I think the issue makes it so obvious Tim is going to die that I actually don't think he's going to die. It may be a Hawkeye in AoU situation where they swerve and...kill someone else instead.

:lost:

Clayface is going to die until someone needs to revive him for a storyline later. It makes sense because he gets to die a hero as repentance for his past sins. Etc etc.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
I read the whole new 52 Batman and Robin run and it might well be my favourite thing ever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He'll also be revived as a bad guy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With this and people in a rage about Lois 'dying' in Superwoman, I think some supernatural force came and plucked any memory of past deathtrap cliffhangers from the minds of people.
I prescribe two episodes of the old Batman TV show for everyone in the world.

Cruel Rose posted:

I read the whole new 52 Batman and Robin run and it might well be my favourite thing ever.

Check out the current Superman comic by the same team.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cruel Rose posted:

Welcome, friend. :buddy:

It really got overshadowed by Snyder and Capullo's Batman IMO, more people are going to notice it eventually and it's going to be pretty well-remembered.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tomasi's Batman and Robin is probably the best comic DC has put out in this decade, and definitely the most consistent for the longest time.

Ed: I mean, he did good stuff with loving Villains' Month. Remember Villains' Month? Remember how poo poo that was? Remember how it ended up creating the worst Harley comic ever and probably the worst DC comic of the entirety of the N52? In contrast, Tomasi wrote a Batman/Two-Face teamup that actually loving worked.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 6, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Yeah but that month also produced a page of Joker staring longingly and sternly at a baby gorilla which is amusing out of context

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tomasi also created Bootface, the hero of our times

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I'm looking for new stuff to read. Is it the whole new 52 Batman and Robin that's worth checking out or only parts?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Whole thing, along with the New52 Batman Incorporated, which leads to a certain big moment you'll want to see. Then the Robin solo that the BnR artist wrote and drew himself.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I kinda hate N52 Batman Incorporated, but unfortunately it's kind of essential reading for Batman and Robin. Also, if you haven't you should probably read Final Crisis (another comic I dislike very heavily), because there's a moment in there that Tomasi uses as the climax of his entire run on BnR that's loving incredible.

Make sure you get all of Robin Rises, I dunno if the Omega and Alpha is there in trade but hunting down single issues it doesn't show up readily, and they're both really important to the arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can't hate the comic that introduced Batcow.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like virtually everything about Morrison's Final Crisis on Batman stuff, Tomasi/Gleason did a better job with Batcow than he did.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Morrison's Batman is very good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pre-Final Crisis, absolutely. Batman and Robin post-Final Crisis, possibly his best work. Everything else? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Toxxupation posted:

Like virtually everything about Morrison's Final Crisis on Batman stuff, Tomasi/Gleason did a better job with Batcow than he did.

By not including him?

I don't remember any Batcow at all in B&R.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/773186725229264898

:stare:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Whoa that's some Chris Ware poo poo. I love it. All Star is shaping up to be something special.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd say Jordie deserves most of the credit for the actual mosaic effect. She's doing most of the work to make it come across. Not that the small images aren't impressive as well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Blockhouse posted:

By not including him?

I don't remember any Batcow at all in B&R.

I'm speaking specifically about the moment Gleason wrote in Robin, Son of Batman where Damian introduces the Bat-Critters to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Toxxupation posted:

I'm speaking specifically about the moment Gleason wrote in Robin, Son of Batman where Damian introduces the Bat-Critters to each other.

Which went nowhere after he left the book and it got bad

If we had gotten a legion of bat-pets out of it maybe it'd have been cooler but it was one page

• Locked thread