Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

SeannieDarko posted:

Best part for me though is the part where he crashes the dinner party. I swear I read this story once a month and enjoy it each time.
Never read Kevin Smith's Batman: The Widening Gyre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Detective is wonderful. I hadn't read any until today, I bought the first two because I liked how several BSS posters described it, then bought the rest as soon as I was finished. I've always preferred Batman's family to the man himself, so this immediately became my favorite batbook.

Question: I haven't kept up with Batwoman since the New 52 relaunch, but was her father turning heel foreshadowed at all in her book?

Also, regarding Clayface, thankfully there's quite a few of them, so hopefully they keep Basil as he is and bring in Matt Hagen or whomever if they need a villainous claything.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Another thing I liked about Detective were the new costumes, specifically Tim Drake's and Cassandra Cain's. Tim is back in Robin colors as he should be, and Cassandra's Orphan look is hot.

I'm also really looking forward to the Monster Men crossover (I'm a sucker for creature design).

If you've never read Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men (and Batman and the Mad Monk), you're missing out. Just perfect "classic" Batman stories. Would've made great Dini/Timm-era TAS episodes.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Sorry, I'm an old man, I occasionally say "hot" when I mean "cool" (it was a thing a decade ago). I wasn't talking about sexuality.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The Long Halloween and Dark Victory were preceded by three LOTDK Halloween Specials (they were reprinted in Haunted Knight). I consider that all one big awesome run. Definitely in it for the art though, but Loeb's scripting isn't anywhere near his more recent output.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The Batman: Black & White series are spectacular too. Even the pin-ups were great.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
With all this talk of Killing Joke, don't forget Alan Moore wrote a great Clayface story in another Batman annual.

Yes, the poor bastard fell in love with a mannequin.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

SonicRulez posted:

If Gotham were to suddenly one day be completely crime free in a permanent fashion, I can't tell if Batman would take that as proof that he works and move to Metropolis or something or if he would just quit forever.
Pluto, dude. DC One Million! Come on! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Squizzle posted:

Wait, so the book with the shapeshifter and the lady raised as an assassin without language
That's Detective.

quote:

using an emotion-alterer and a psych professional as its villains
And that's Batman.

• Locked thread