Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I want to recommend Batman: Cult because not enough people recommend Batman: Cult. Also Year One is a good Batman story and a great Gordon story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I forgot to mention Batman: Venom (and so did everyone else - for shame). It kind of goes off the rails at the end but it's a pretty good story about Batman being an obsessive freak and showing the lengths he would go to save everyone. Really a good intro to Batman without needing tons of backreading.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Just do yourself a favor and track down Rucka's Detective Comics run. That would be a good pallet cleanser. Hell even Dini's run would work

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
There was already a Batman/Spiderman crossover with Bagley on art. From what I remember about it, it was pretty bad and had Carnage gushing and fanboying all over Joker and Joker not giving a gently caress about Carnage.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Honestly even without 1 million and his Vertigo stuff Morrison was a mainstream name through New X-Men alone. There really wasn't a gamble with Morrison and Batman. Of course he decided to experiment a little too much here and there and that is how you end up with that awful issue, but it wasn't like DC gave Batman to an unknown.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Booo. Why must Tim (aka best Robin) become a Red Hood knockoff?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Again it's not like the worst thing ever. It's definitely weaker than...everything that came before, but Tom King is a fuckin' King Midas when it comes to the comics he writes so I can excuse an off day. Like, I fuckin' loved War of Jokes and Riddles, the two arcs immediately after were arguably better, the Catwoman proposal is one of the flat-out best developments I've seen in any Batman issue ever. He can have an issue that doesn't cohere into a complete one-shot, he has earned my trust in him for him to make a mistake. It's not even ruinous in the way, say Snyder's Batman annual in N52 where he made Mr. Freeze into a mass-murdering lunatic was. This hurts nothing and it's just sorta mediocre. Oh well. Saying you're gonna cancel a subscription off of one bad issue is...presumptive, to say the least. I mean, even fuckin' Morrison had The Clown at Midnight and everything about Batman Inc., volume 2. Perfection is impossible unless it's super short and constructed like...well, King's Vision and Omega Men and possibly his Mister Miracle if things shake out how they look.

Just a quick aside but read Sheriff of Babylon as well if you haven't. King's Vision and Omega Men gets referenced a lot (by me) but his Sheriff of Babylon is excellent stuff too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I actually enjoyed Winnick's run for the most part, but that is because it had great art going with it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Sounds like a fun character, what series is he in?

You can find him in Batman: Death in the family

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I've just read the 10-book run that started with the Court of Owls. My main Batman history:

Year One
Dark Knight Returns
Long Halloween (of course I'm gonna get the follow up 'Dark Victory')
various other random Bat books but I'm tired of listing. I haven't read any current stuff besides my first mention. That's my primary interest.

Any reccomendations are welcome. I prefer the darker stuff over the 'Boom, Biff' style.

Track down Moench/Kelly's Batman run. Lament that very little of it is in trade form. Celebrate that you manage to track down the issues in floppy/digital and be happy that you read some darker Batman stories that aren't stupid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Actually, also read Rucka's Detective Comics (especially post NML). Brubaker's Batman run isn't too bad either.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Batman Cult

Moench Batman

Rucka Detective Comics

Brubaker Batman

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The Black Casebook is only necessary if you want to see the origin of the ideas Morrison explores but isn't needed to actually enjoy the story line. It would be like reading every story referenced in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to try enjoy that title.

As for how I would rank Morrison Batman stuff, RIP is the best of the original Batman run by him (Batman and Son was a lot of fun but could be a bit uneven at parts, and while I love the artwork on the League of Batmen or whatever it was called, I feel like the international Batman stuff was stuff that should have stayed buried in the silver age). I would rate Morrison's Batman and Robin run higher than his Batman run though, and his Batman Inc run was extremely uneven throughout.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Due to some people asking about best Batman stories to read and such, I have compiled a list below of some of the best Batman stories to read that aren't Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Year 1, Snyder's run, Morrison's run etc, because those get recommended a lot. This list contains some stuff I already mentioned, and a few more titles. First the stuff already mentioned:

Now for some other stuff:

Gates of Gotham Yes it's a Snyder book but it happened pre-Nu52 and is quite a fun world building story

Doom that Came to Gotham Despite some wonky art this is a great Elseworld that mixes Batman and Lovecraftian horror

[https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Venom...V6Q5G4XBBEZHZFS]Batman: Venom[/url] A pretty solid storyline (though the ending goes way out there at parts) showcasing how far Batman would go to never fail again. Set up for a lot of mid-90's Batman stuff

Batman: Man who laughs Kind of a sequel to Year 1 showing Batman's first meeting/fight with the Joker. Solid story

Whatever Happened to the caped crusader Kind of a "final story" for Batman. Some pretty heady stuff in here but it is also a great Gaiman story and a quick fun read

Batman: Gothic An early Morrison Batman story that is a straight forward horror story which showcases that Morrison can write good straightforward stories

Batman: Contagion While Knightfall and No Man's Land get a lot of praise for being a crossover done right, I always had a soft spot for Contagion which I saw as a template for No Man's Land. A deadly virus befalls Gotham sending the city into chaos and Batman and family have to try stop it all. There was a sequel in Legacy but that was not as great Contagion in my opinion

Batman: Year 100 kind of an elseworld featuring glorious artwork by Paul Pope, imagining a new Batman in the future. Lot of great action in this story.

Batman: Vampire I have a huge love for Moench and Kelly's run on Batman and this volume collects their elseworld series of Batman fighting Dracula and becoming a vampire himself. Really the first part is excellent and all you need. The second part was a let down and I never read the third part. Just recommending this for the first part alone

Batman: The Monster men

and

Batman: The Mad Monk These are both retelling of an early Batman adventure (kind of in the vain as Long Halloween) featuring great Matt Wagner artwork. Great story and art and writing really gives these books a classic feel. Read both as they are "part 1/part 2" of the same story.

Collected Legends of the Dark Knight a collection of three storylines from Legends of the Dark Knight, the reason I am recommending this is because of the storyline Blades which featured amazing Tim Sale artwork. This was one of the first stories I read that made me fall in love with Batman comics.

Batman: Black and white Black and white stories by some of comics top creators. I haven't read volume 2 and 3 but volume one has some great stories and is worth hunting down

Batman: Going Sane One of the best Joker stories ever written. Takes the premise of what would happen of Joker actually succeeded and killed Batman. Apparently that would break Joker's mind and force him to "go sane". A great look at the Joker character and a great story.

There are probably dozens of more titles I could recommend, but I will leave this here for now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Quixk question: How long has Mad Hatter been a pedophile in the comics? Because yeesh that Anarky arc in Detective was bad and gross.

I always had the feeling in that it was an unstated thing which could be seen either way back in the day. Like it wasn't text but it could possibly be subtext if you squinted a bit. So for it to be overtly done I imagine it would be done recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

^burtle posted:

Why didn't the guy's wife just come with him?

Presumably because she has no fighting experience and would die 5 seconds after arriving.

• Locked thread