Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm really loving this new Detective Comics run. I'm going to be very sad when they make Clayface turn bad again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't read Detective Comics in a while, is Clayface still a good guy?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thank God.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So what's the deal with the Robins at the end of Batman 16?

At the end of 16 they're hanging in the Batcave, but in the beginning of 17 they're in capsules in the FoS. Did they get hosed up by Bane and they're getting healed or were the people hanging not the Robins or what?

That confusing bit aside, I'm really digging this new arc.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This week's Batman was sick. That second to last page got me so pumped for the next issue.

This part was cool too:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aren't you the guy who is unironically mad at The Ray being gay now?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Has Jaime actually been in good books? The current run is rear end.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just caught up on Detective Comics. I really hope the Batfamily sticks together and stays friends. I'm going to be so bummed irf we don't get to see Bruce and Kate take Cass to the ballet :(

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

purple death ray posted:

You mean the Knights game, right?

That'd be rad too. I just hope the team stops losing members, I think the concept is so cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm pumped for Batman this week, friends.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Both the Batman comics this week were fantastic. What a time to be alive.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Batman is going to be dynamite this week boyos.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Last week was Detective and they alternate right?

Edit: ah gently caress

fadam fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 27, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This week's Batman was good but pretty anti-climactic. I definitely expected Gotham Girl to gently caress Bane up or something instead of Batman just sandbagging for the whole issue then winning in one panel .

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Batman history question: when did the interpretation of Batman as an urban Ninja with plans for everything start? Who came up with that idea?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You will not be surprised to learn that it was Frank Miller's fault. Although Grant Morrison really took the idea of the ultra-prepared "Batgod" to the next level in his JLA run.

Did Miller write non DKR-series Batman?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

He wrote Year One, which was arguably even more influential. It's basically Batman Begins, but grittier. There was a lot of ninja in that particular story.

Oh, duh. I completely forgot about that.

Blockhouse posted:

TDKR does not really hold up but Year One does

TDKR is like Ender's Game and Equilibrium to me where they were so formative to my tastes when I was young that even now I have a hard time being overly critical of them. The surgeon bit when Batman is fighting the mutant leader is so cornball, but based on how I reacted to it as a kid it might be my favorite line in anything ever.

fadam fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 18, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I thought both Bat books this week were pretty cool. I like this trend of DC crossovers that I think sound dumb (like the recent Superman one) turning out to be rad.

The "I just need eleven seconds" line is the exact kind of corny I love.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gaunab posted:

I posted this in Chat thread but I'll post it here too: What are some good Batman stories? I've read Year One, Killing Joke, Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, The Man Who Laughs, Monster Men, and The Mad Monk. I like the more grounded stories where he's on his own but I don't care about those things as long as the story is good.

The Chat thread had some great recommendations and this thread was referred to so I'd like to hear some of your picks.

I haven't read all of them, but this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786419&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post463148664 has some great suggestions.

It's sort of cheating because its not Bruce Wayne, but Morrison's run of Batman and Robin (1-16 of Volume 1) where Dick Grayson takes over as Batman is terrific.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 19, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So Batfriends, what Batbooks are you looking forward to this week? I liked the way the last Detective Comics ended so I'm definitely looking forward to reading it tomorrow. Batgirl and Batman: Beyond are out tomorrow too, but I don't read either of them. I guess Batman is appearing in The Flash #21 so that's an honorary Batbook for this week.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

What are the best "Batbooks" going right now? Can I just jump in and enjoy? I'd be okay at starting with the various Rebirth #1 issues since it's not that much catching up to do.

Rebirth sounds confusing because it's not a true reboot or something but I guess only Superman and a couple others know this so it doesn't matter. I don't think I need to read New 52 stuff?

I got back in to comics after a few years off with Rebirth and I found it very easy to get acclimatized again. I did end up going back and reading some stuff from N52, but that was just out of interest; I never felt like I was lost or behind for not knowing all the new lore or whatever.

Detective Comics is a top 3 rebirth book imo and Batman is really good too. Super Sons is only a few issues in but I really like it so far. Batwoman is good, and Trinity started strong but has been boring for like six issues lol.

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 26, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oh yeah, I think All-Star Batman is really good too. The Mr. Freeze and Ivy issues were definitely my favorite books the weeks they came out.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All comics, and in fact most things are pointless when you think about it.

Snyder on JL would be cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Detective Comics was fire this week. It's nice that Cassandra made a new friend :3. I really hope the last page of this arc is everyone at a hockey game or something.

Look how dope this looks:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for the tips on what to read.

What about Chuck Dixon's Robin and/or Nightwing runs? I've heard a lot of good things.

I'm reading his Robin right now and its great. His Robin/Batgirl Year One books are good too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I forgot this was a Detective Comics week and left my tablet at home :( I'm tempted to find a LCS near my work and pick up a copy just to read, I really want to see how this arc ends.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Speaking of Snyder, apparently a lot of people (myself included) misinterpreted the news about him ending ASB. He went on Twitter to clarify that it's not happening any time soon, we still have like 15 issues to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah it's very good but it has basically nothing in common with DKR aside from it being a Batman story imo.

• Locked thread