Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Squizzle posted:

I know why every Freeze story goes back to Heart of Ice, but at the same time, even the cartoon itself had at least three episodes and a movie after that origin story. There are other great Mr. Freeze tales to tell.

Arkham Manor gave Freeze a couple of cool moments, I'd like to see that iteration of "morally gray ice wizard who just wants to play" more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

In Darkest Knight has a perfect response to The Killing Joke.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Reminded me of the Guy/Arkillo fight, tbh.
"I'm really tough!"
"Actually... I'm tougher."
*scene turns on a dime*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

McCloud posted:

Can we talk about the conclusion of War games or w/e?

Cause I'm confused. Why did Batman try to murder Riddler again? They were both there, just beat them up and take them to bat-guantanamo or regular jail or whatever

Furthermore, if Batman was finally driven to the breaking point of murder, then what's holding back the rest of Gotham? The issue opened with a serious wall of victims, many straight-up murdered with guns. I agree with Riddler, this wasn't a Batman story, but if he's not going to make anything better, then his honeymoon can take place in Convergence for all I care.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Edge & Christian posted:

I harp on this a lot but I love that Jeph Loeb lamented on some old Wordballoon podcast how he had not one but TWO million dollar ideas for sequels to Long Halloween that unfortunately corporate red-tape and bickering put an end to. They're both just terrific ideas:

The Long Halloween IV: a serial killer is murdering his way through New York City, and Batman must face all of Spider-Man's Rogues Gallery to find the culprit!
The Long Halloween V: a serial killer is murdering his way through Gotham City, and it's up to.... Spider-Man(??!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?) to confront all of Batman's villains over the course of the year to find the true mastermind!

This is pretty much all Jeph Loeb has in his pocket. He used to make fun of writers like Johns and Bendis for "wasting their time" on B/C list characters like Luke Cage and the Flash when A-List talent need to work on A-List characters, like he does. He pointed to the secret to a successful comic like his Hulk run, where in order to make Hulk "work" he added a murder mystery and then made sure that the book had guest appearances by Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Punisher, Deadpool, a Superman/Batman pastiche, callbacks to other classic stories, etc. etc. etc. you know, that's how you get people interested in a less popular character. He was once asked to suggest how he could make Luke Cage "A-List" and he scoffed at the concept and then outlined a take where Power Man and Iron Fist were framed for murder and had to go on a world tour being chased by Wolverine and Spider-Man and Deadpool and Captain America and Thor trying to figure out if they had been framed by Doctor Doom or Venom or Kingpin or Skrulls or Magneto or Mister Sinister or etc.

The whole "first comic that cribs a bunch of things together to make you think Batman and his universe are cool" is pretty apt, and literally the only thing he has in his quiver.

It would seem that Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur's third trade refined this method in order to build out Lunella's world and personality while also fitting her into place among the grand scheme of Marvel groups/friendships.

How would y'all compare Hush to Europa? I feel like Europa is a condensed version of Hush, but with less plot whiplash.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SMP posted:

At least the next two issues are the Wonder Woman part of Superfriends.
Thank you for saying that!
*hovers mouse away from Cancel Subscription*
This really was a blah issue. King's style requires great releases of tension through moments that shatter or redefine the narrative. This issue felt like a waiting room compared to the whole run up til now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Indeed, having THOMAS and MARTHA scratched into one's face is not an interesting finale.
I'd expect that from the new talent showcase, but not in the middle of Superfriends and after all the "I Am..." arcs.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Saying you're gonna cancel a subscription off of one bad issue is...presumptive, to say the least. I mean, even fuckin' Morrison had The Clown at Midnight and everything about Batman Inc., volume 2.

Innocent hyperbole, friend. I'm a giant King fanboy, too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

LTW, do you have a book out? Is your nom de plume an open secret?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

You seem especially well-equipped with comics opinions and the means to express them. I have no clue who you are, but your writing style would suit a number of comics sites well. Have you (or anyone else here) considered writing for The (Comics) Beat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What's so bad about Endgame? What would you have liked to see in it?

• Locked thread