Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Perry Normal posted:

Year 100 was definitely one of my top 3 from that list. Fantastic story. Paul Pope does some great Batman. For a more conventional Batman, his story from Black & White was also terrific, with a young Bats getting his nose broken for the first time.

Paul Pope's Batman of Berlin is still the strangest Elseworlds Batman to me, because "Batman operating in Nazi Germany" is a really cool premise and then during the story Batman has to save Ludwig Von Mises and the epilogue is that Batman never stopped loving libertarianism and almost none of the rest of the story is about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Batman doesn't kill people because it's morally wrong to kill people, guys. If a character can't do a thing for the sole reason that it's not the right thing to do, superhero comics might not be your thing.

There's also a couple of in-universe justifications for why Batman doesn't kill people that we've missed. Snyder's Joker is also immortal. Batman couldn't kill him even if he wanted to. Gordon shoots him and he comes right back.

And in Hush, Loeb brings up the pragmatic justification, which is that Gordon shuts Batman down if he steps over that line.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

monkeu posted:

Wasn't he only immortal temporarily because of the Lazarus Pit or whatever?

I haven't read Endgame since it came out but I do remember that it implied this Joker had lived for centuries, maybe through multiple Lazarus Pit baths.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Blockhouse posted:

I continue to be completely incredulous that this discussion is happening at all

Yes, Batman killed in his first story. Yes, they gave him a no-kill rule retroactively. Those are facts, but I find it hard to believe that someone could argue that change wasn't for the better.

He doesn't even kill in the first story. Batman punched a guy, he fell in the acid tank, and then Batman wasn't sorry he was dead.

Besides, that was the Earth-Two Batman. This Batman we got now is an entirely different guy.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The no-kill rule is just a fiction intended to make him friendlier. The problem is that people have internalized it, to the point of holding it up as a half-assed moral precept. This causes some doublethink. The healthy thing to do is to admit that you enjoy stories about a violent vigilante dressed as a bat.

Killing really is wrong though, I don't feel like that's half-assed. It's pretty uncontroversial.

And I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I like stories about nice Batman. Hence the avatar where he is playing basketball with Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

More like 20 years or so. That is exactly my point.

The character has been around for more than 75 years and only in the last period of those, the no killing rule has been really important. I'd say tha came in the heels of Jean Paul's tenure as Batman.

Moreover, for the bulk of the people that grew with Burton's movies. They don't see Batffleck's actions as a big deal.

The Burton movies have Batman's plane shooting some guys down, almost as an aside. The Nolan movies are far more recent and have explicit plot points surrounding Batman's refusal to kill.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

In the Nolan movies, Batman just straight up lies about not killing. Off the top of my head, he kills League assassins, Ra's Al Ghul, Harvey Dent, and Talia Al Ghul.

There's the subtext, where Batman's actions recklessly or negligently lead to people's deaths, and then there's the text, where Batman is straight up refusing to execute a criminal because he thinks it's morally wrong to do so and putting himself in danger because of it, and actively saving The Joker rather than letting him die by his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

That's not really a subtext/text division.

It is, because you're making the argument that if you watch the movie closely Batman is a murderer (when the most you can really say is that Batman is negligent) while the movie's about Batman not killing. The movies explicitly want to be about Batman not killing. These are big, thematic moments of the movies where Batman makes the choice to not kill and differentiate himself from characters who do kill.

He leaves Ra's on a runaway train, which kills him.

Batman also stood by while his parents were shot by Joe Chill, killing them.

• Locked thread