Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

BATMAN BATFACT: The best take on the Riddler was making him a private detective.

The worst take was this:

Wholly inexplicable.

You best not be talking poo poo about Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, pal or you and me are gonna have a falling out. With fists. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd say Jordie deserves most of the credit for the actual mosaic effect. She's doing most of the work to make it come across. Not that the small images aren't impressive as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

The thing is, it's all artificial. Superman is a character who's no kill rule genuinely seems like something he'd believe in, while killing fits Batman so seamlessly the movies really have no problem casually dropping it in because he's just an evolution of pulp action heroes like the Shadow.

Except it's like the 3rd thing you learn about Batman after: -Dresses like bat
-Is secretly Bruce Wayne
-Hates guns and killing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tangentially, the new episode of the Telltale video game came out yesterday. It's good and seems to be going all in with the unique aspect of the origin story: That Thomas Wayne was a corrupt bastard who drugged Penguin's parents so they'd be declared legally insane and ran Gotham's underworld alongside Falcone and Hill.

They're also very aware of how good the chemistry between Troy Baker and Laura Bailey is, because the best parts of both episodes so far, to me, has been the relationship developing between Batman and Catwoman.

EDIT: Game also has a really grisly Two-Face origin : Harvey gets a stage light pressed into his face by Penguin

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 21, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Telltale seem to be focusing on his relationship with Selina (the best part of both episodes thus far has been these two sitting at a table and talking/flirting) and Alfred, as well as using Gordon and Vicki Vale to deal with how the public perceives both Bruce Wayne and the Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Speedball posted:

Penguin's mask is kinda neat this time around. I like it.

The leader of the Children of Arkham might be Scarecrow, but I think it might be a more obscure Batman rogue: The Key! Escape artist with a thing for mind-altering drugs.

I was assuming Strange.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Orca is due for a breakout any time now.

As for Bane, he is definitely a good character when written by a good writer. I actually liked King's intro of him and am curious to see where it goes.
Also loving the fact that Batman is arranging his own Suicide Squad using original members (Punch and Julie) as well as some serious what the gently caress characters like Ventriloquist. Also what was the deal with Jane Doe putting the Legion sign on her cell? Is that something hinting towards a bigger picture thing?

There was a thing in the Rebirth (as in the big relaunch, not just Batman) one-shot suggesting that Legion and JSA members in the present-day DCU are considered mentally ill because of whatever Manhattan did.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The identity is revealed at the end of Episode 3.

Telltale Batman e3 spoilers:Vicky loving Vale's the villain?! Telltale really are running with not having to adhere to any specific canon. Once again the best stuff is Bruce/Selina, though. It was a little silly having Bruce be all "I'd never rifle through her belongings!" like Alfred wanted him to dig through her underwear drawer, when all you can do is look at what books she has in her living room and notice that she buys good cat food for Isis and lovely chinese take out for herself

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Vicki being the villain was a shock in a good way, in my opinion. I just hope she's compelling as the antagonist. Penguin is seemingly enough of an rear end in a top hat to carry the game, though. And while I like Selina here more than her Arkham counterpart, I feel really bad for Harvey since she led him on for giggles.

I assume the idea is Vicky's descended from Amadeus Arkham in some way, what with the focus on Gotham's historical corruption.

RE: Selina/Harvey. It seemed like they'd only gone out a couple of times. That's barely enough to consider it a hookup, let alone some major exclusive commitment. While Harvey's violence is obviously down to some TAS-style Big Bad Harv poo poo, him being so possessive and obsessed with 'protecting' her wouldn't have been healthy either way. Also, he apparently freaks out even if Bruce really did just crash on her couch, so it's more about him being paranoid than what actually happened. (Note that he doesn't even let them try to explain)
And no, this is not saying that Bruce and Selina hooking up was a great decision, especially with neither party telling him, but it's also not like they had much time to think about how to break it to him once it happened. Up to then it was idle flirting for the most part.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I only just caught up on like 2 month's worth of comics (which with the double-shipping is loving absurd) and am now pathetically hype about Seeley and To putting Nightwing back where he belongs, in Bludhaven!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This issue of Nightwing was fantastic. Seeley managed to ground Dick as a person, give him a purpose as Dick in the 'haven, get a supporting cast in, establish why people even live or visit Bludhaven, get a subplot where the tourist board are going to adopt Nightwing as their local hero, and still found time to have a very, very minor Bat-villain be framed. It's a stunningly dense issue, especially for a double-shipping book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

How Ventriloquist counters Psycho-Pirate is simultaneously the dumbest and best way that could have ended.

Lemme guess: Pirate's powers don't work on Scarface?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're probably ditching Batwoman soon too, so she can be in her solo title. I think Tynion said Bluebird is gonna be on the team for a while. But having one of the other Clayfaces show up and frame Basil would be good drama.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

nooot super thrilled with this direction for holly robinson honestly

To be fair, she was supposed to be dead until Brubaker forgot that in his run. They did a whole backup admitting they goofed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just did a gently caress-ton of catch up on my DC poo poo and I'm digging the juggling of multiple balls JTIV is doing in 'Tec, with the Azrael, League of Shadows and Colony stuff, plus Spoiler. It's the right way to do these shorter arcs in double-shipping books, have a bunch of stories simmering and focus on them as and when you want.

Batwoman was good and looks AMAZING, but it does feel a little like Bennet didn't want to focus as much of Kate's relationship with her dad as Tynion, and was Julia Pennyworth ever introduced anywhere? Is she directly related to Alfred?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And THIS is why DC needs recap pages but "Marvel did it" so gently caress you, you gotta ask nerds on a dying internet forum.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, so how long is Dini going to be on 'Tec?

Edit: Oh, in more serious news: I might.... like Beyond? I actually liked the reveal of the Joker having been the real mastermind, and even though I'm torn on the idea of Matt as Robin and the new suit still looks bad, the writing's fairly on point and brushes past most of the Brother Eye stuff quickly enough that you can ignore it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 21, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did Tim keep his love interest after the time skip at the end of Futures End? I thought the neatest thing they could do is keep them an item when she's, like 30 years older.

No clue, the Rebirth run is back to basics, Terry, Max and Bruce in Neo-Gotham. This first arc was about Jokerztown, a part of the city the Jokerz had taken over, led by a guy who was claiming he'd found the Joker's body and was reviving him to lead them. He also kidnapped Dana, forcing Terry to, after failing to stop them as Batman, go undercover as the son of Matches Malone to rescue her. It turns out the Joker thing was a lie. and the drugged up guy in clown makeup he was using as the decoy was Bruce Wayne, who he was also using to bankroll the operation, in order to steal a secret Wayne tech McGuffin. Except the mentally challenged henchman the main baddie had had following him around as his manservant turned out to be the real Joker biding his time.

During all this, Matt (Terry's brother) has to sneak in to get the new Batsuit to Terry while he's wearing a fairly obvious red-and-green hoodie and Dana finds out that Terry is A) alive and B) Batman

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, by that same token, the Black Mirror is a great story as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dixon's Nightwing was my first American comic that I read more than one random issue of. I remember picking up the first 2 or 3 trades from an actual bookstore and just fell in love, even with some of the kitschier elements, like Dick's Chinese-Irish landlady/love-interest and his weird factory-Nightwingcave and Nightwingmobile that just looked like normal cars because he could swap the body out to disguise it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Batgirl is also up for best teen series, I believe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, JT4's approach to the double shipping and short arcs thing seems to be to treat 'Tec more like an old school title and have lots of running threads that can weave in and out, like Claremont or Wolfman used to do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's just a King/Gerards thing. Sheriff of Babylon is mostly grids, and Mister Miracle will be too.

edit: I mean, obviously the grid is an influence from Watchmen, but it's in their totally unrelated work.

ee: Omega Men even had quotations in the final panel of every issue.

Mister Miracle being mostly grids only works if it leads to big splashy layouts once Scott's doing stuff, because it's basically the panel equivalent of prison bars which... like, his whole thing is escaping and being free.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oooh :)
Batwoman marriage arc?

Wouldn't they do that in the actual Batwoman title, though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
After a semi-Herculean effort to get through like 100 issues of books that I'd fallen behind on (the actual number is probably more because I had 8 or 9 Marvel titles I was 7-8 issues behind on, 3-4 DC double-shipping titles I was 10 behind on and a bunch more that I was 4-5 issues back on from both DC and other publishers) I managed to wrap by powering through a bunch of the Bat-books. Quick hits and hot takes:

Batman Beyond continues to be underwhelming but not outright bad enough that I want to drop it because Jurgens drops just enough hints of interesting long-term ideas that I want to see where it goes. Also LOL at making the lovely redesigned suit evil because everyone dragged it on the internet.

Batwoman felt kinda like Bennet hastily repurposing a Wolverine pitch that she had rejected. And the prologue for the Colony arc in 'Tec is kinda meh, because we all know it's either an alternate timeline or something will happen to make it not 'really' happen. Renee and Kate's final moments were sweet though. Bennet is pretty invested in that pairing if you've read Bombshells.

Batgirl needs to stop doing villains that are spin-offs of existing ones. Baby Penguin as Nice Guy broflake trying to rule Gotham via gentrification and social media mind control was fine, but a lady Mad Hatter being retconned into Batgirl and Nightwing's past is a bit much.

BoP is cute, but this return for Babs feels like either responding to the backlash about the dude Oracle, or a real long way around to not much advantage. Either way both Batgirl books feel like they liked the basic concept of Burnside and Babs as a more modern young woman, but didn't like ANY of the other stuff, because her supporting cast has been all but ditched, and some of the writing by the main creative teams is such that I'm not even sure if they want readers to know that Frankie knows about Batgirl. The two Catwoman appearances across the two titles was nice, tho.

Gotham Academy wrapped up nicely. Despite the 'see you soon' in the final issue, I doubt the book's back any time soon. But at least they solved the core mystery in a mostly satisfying way and managed to have Batman and Robin appear but not overshadow. The whole '6 families have run Gotham for centuries' thing is always a little uncomfortable for me, but oh well, it's making use of mostly-already-there story elements.

Nightwing continues to be really, really enjoyable and a good throwback to the early days of the first Nightwing solo book without retreading old ground. Blockbuster is smart without being comedically so, he's just a clever thug with delusions of grandeur to cover his insecurities. I like the subplot with Dick's girlfriend and how instead of fridging her, Dick sabotages his own relationship because of his own hang-ups. I'd probably be more into this Spyral story now if I'd read Grayson, but it's a'ight.

'Tec is SO GOOD. It made the AzBats armour into a punch-the-air cool moment. It's doing Anarky as a real anarchist (well, up until he reveals he's going to use sarin gas on all the capitalist overlords or something so Stephanie realises he's a bad guy) and Clayface teaching Cassie acting and literature via Shakespeare is frickin' genius!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

A lovingly crafted tribute to dick's rear end.

So basically, knowing that the chicks that rescued Dick and Helena had named his buttcheeks in gym class is about all I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you-know-who's ranting about how awful he was at writing super-cool-guy Jason Todd didn't give it away, JT4 is pretty rad. He also wrote a really fun Wonder Woman story for the Sensation Comics anthology book a while back, which was drawn by Noelle Stevenson, and featured teen Diana owning jerks at DDR.

• Locked thread