Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah, poor Harper Row. I didn't even like her and that's still a kind of deflating abrupt end to her character. She'll probably show up as a corpse sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Killing Joke has the perfect ending, and does have some good ideas, but it's flawed enough I feel confident in saying it's heavily overrated.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: nvm

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Besides, RHATO isn't even considered a Batman book anyways :shrug:

He's wearing a bat on his chest, man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

Cassandra's Orphan look is hot.

Uh...:yikes:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's a preview of Superman #5, which is here because it reveals that Batman took the time to make a Batcave on the moon.
http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-superman-5/

As if there was any doubt. But when does he turn Pluto into a prison planet assisted by Robin, the Toy Wonder?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Filipino artist that began his career at Marvel drawing some issues of Captain Marvel before moving to DC and doing the art for Mortal Kombat X, Batman Beyond, Batman Arkham Knight: Genesis and a couple of issues on Red Hood/Arsenal

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/764229947426824192

He's currently helming RHATO and is delivering an excepcionally gorgeous art.

You know, I thought the dart shooting mix up was dumb, but that is good art, and the writing's not terrible. Interested in seeing how this goes. I like how their playing with the original "Red Hood as a crime boss" concept.

Dario the Wop posted:

Sorry, I'm an old man, I occasionally say "hot" when I mean "cool" (it was a thing a decade ago). I wasn't talking about sexuality.

Ahhh. Alright!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really glad Batman 66 has been a lot more vindicated recently. It's unironically one of my favorite Batman incarnations, along with BB. As for my favorite single Batman story...probably that one Tim Drake one where Batman is out of town and Tim has an epiphany while playing D&D. Mostly just because I read that to death as a kid, but it was top notch too.

Roth posted:

I really like The Long Halloween.

The art's not that great, but I really dig the story of the Gotham mob falling apart while crazy supervillains take over, and Harvey's descent into villainy. I just like stories of really good people going bad in general.

I really like The Long Halloween, but the art is like half of it for me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Zero Year went by far too long and as usual, Snyder failed to stick the landing. It is a decent story but no way is better than Year One.

I agree with this instinctively, but I was biased towards Snyder's Batman already. I should really read the two back to back sometime for a fair comparison.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

Oh and to finish off the Hot Takes, Dick Grayson is the best Batman.

Terry. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The AV Club did a great rundown of DKR awhile back.

Travis343 posted:

It's also incredibly boring to talk about the same three Batman stories since 1988, so I would seriously, 100% rather hear about those weird 80s-90s comics you love. Tell me about the poo poo you're uniquely passionate about. Everybody knows about Frank Miller's stuff, not everybody knows how great Batman/Grendel was. Let's talk about that stuff instead.

Don't forget Strange Apparitions! That's some good poo poo I never see brought up often. Also: we need to talk about the Silver Age more.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

Dark Knight Strikes Again is basically all the worst things about Dark Knight Returns magnified by a hundred with utterly awful art and coloring.

That was a book where:

Carrie Kelly for some reason becomes Catgirl and has roller blades
Superman and Wonder Woman gently caress so hard it shakes the planet and causes tidal waves (that was right after a scene where Wonder Woman described herself as a prize for Superman to forcefully claim)
Practically every page is covered in talking heads spouting off about nonsense
Batman shows up at Luthor's place, cuts him up, and then just leaves
Dick Grayson has somehow become an immortal Joker who goes around killing other superheroes
Frank Miller makes gay jokes about heroes he doesn't like (Hawk and Dove for instance)
There's some sort of sub plot about sexy cosplay with girls dressing up like female superheroes

It's such an amazing mess of a comic, and I have no idea how Miller got to make a third one after that one.

I love DKSA's art but the story totally fucks it up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't get the big deal about DickBats, Bruce Wayne is a dick when he's Batman too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The perfect response to anything involving the Joker was that Max Landis story in Adventures of Superman.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Did they never say Batman had been operating for ten years, the first five in the shadows? I guess Zero Year fucks that up, but that's what I'd heard. Not that it really helps much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cause Dick doesn't want to be Batman.

In many ways, he's like Gohan.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll bite. Name some ways. I wanna hear this.

Goku can't beat Cell and dies, so Gohan has to step up and save the Earth even though, unlike his dad, he really doesn't like fighting except out of necessity to protect people. He now bears the burden of being the strongest person on Earth, and thus, it's savior. But then eventually Goku comes back because he's way too popular to stay dead and Gohan gets pushed back to the sidelines, but it's a good ending for him because, as the new movies/Super and even GT show, he's much happier being a regular smart guy with a nice family.

Dick doesn't have Bruce's driving dedication, the singular purpose of his life on an atomic level. Bruce needs needs to be Batman, just like Goku loves nothing more than fighting and chafes under a normal life. Dick will put on the cowl-or his Robin or Nightwing costume-for the sake of others, but at the end of the day, he's just a laid back casual dude like Gohan.

If complete and utter world peace broke out, an unparalleled utopia for all humans, Bruce would probably build a space ship and go fight space crime(that one is free, DC). Because like Goku's one track obsessive need for fighting, being Batman is a must for Bruce-it's even his metaphysical eternal fate every time he dies, according to Whatever Happened to the Cape Crusader.

Gohan/Dick will do what they have to when they have to. But ultimately it's better for everyone that the guy who really loving loves the job is around instead.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 15, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

Which would be the more correct title: "Batman '66 Beyond" or "Batman Beyond '66"?

It depends. Batman '66 Beyond would be a sequel to Batman '66, while Batman Beyond '66 would be Batman Beyond done in the '66 style.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't really like Tim Burton's Batman. Or rather, I do, but not in comparison to other's. He's practically a completely different guy, it's like some weird neo-gothic artistic action universe that's more like the Shadow mixed with Dick Tracy than a superhero narrative.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Then is wrong because Batfleck should be on the top and Adam West at the bottom. :colbert:

Oh D_T :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

West Batman is absolutely the most powerful.
If he was in Final Crisis, and there was a cliffhanger at that moment, he would've been able to dodge the Omega Sanction no sweat.

It would have hit him and did nothing, because in the end, pure evil can never harm pure good, old chum.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't particularly like most of Brave and the Bold, but it did have a pretty great Joker.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But how does this thread feel about Batman sitting?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Finally, someone agrees.

FilthyImp posted:

Wasn't there a 70s Return of the Demon/Brides of the Demon or something with Ra's that's popular???

Is that the one that had Batman shirtless but still wearing his mask? And swinging around a sabre? Because that was :krad:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe 3 of you schmucks voted for Long Halloween.

It's awesome.

Okay, admittedly, it may not be the objective best, but it's my favorite and it'll lose anyway so no harm.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

You best not be talking poo poo about Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, pal or you and me are gonna have a falling out. With fists. :mad:

A fisting out, as they say.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

The Batman in those issues more resembles a feral animal, judging from panel pictures off Google search.

You've been fooled by a cunning disguise, chum! Plastic vampire teeth.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The best Ninja Turtle is Leonardo though?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

Not only that, the "realism" or "practicality" argument against Batman's no-kill policy is bullshit as well. It's long since been proven that killing criminals doesn't prevent crime in real life, it's sure as hell not going to help in a universe where everyone inevitably comes back from the dead.

Obviously crime isn't gonna pack up because Batman kills, but it would stop specific genocidal maniacs who rake in ludicrous body counts. The coming back to life is part of the fictional nature because they wanna keep telling Joker stories and whatnot, but really, that's all of it. The cartoon characters are always at the mercy of the cartoonist's interests. There are all these little paradoxes in place to ensure maximum profits for the ones who own the IP and the best you can do is ignore them. Despite generally being on the "kill" side, I can perfectly enjoy a story that ends with the Joker in jail if the story doesn't rub it in my face that he'll get out and murder a million more people and how Batman doesn't kill blah blah.

It's stuff like this why the end of TKJ is essentially Batman and the Joker realizing how ridiculous their comic book existence is.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 16, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If we suppose that within the DC universe the government is incapable of apprehending or containing the Joker themselves, they can't really achieve executing him either. Superheroes are already inherently extrajudicial. The same narrative laws that requires Batman to exist in the first place also means the likelihood of the state carrying out a lethal injection on one of his villains is nil.

But like I said, Batman not killing is fine until people bend over backwards to justify it or whatever, because it's stupider the more it's brought past the level of metatextual.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 16, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

That Batman's actions are inherently extrajudicial makes the rule even more important.

This is all a good point, but I was just pointing out why, if the Joker should indeed be killed, the state is incapable of doing it and would need Batman to do it if it's to be done at all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing is, it's all artificial. Superman is a character who's no kill rule genuinely seems like something he'd believe in, while killing fits Batman so seamlessly the movies really have no problem casually dropping it in because he's just an evolution of pulp action heroes like the Shadow.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

Why does it matter so much that Batman doesn't kill?

It doesn't. As I said, stories where Batman just sends his villains to jail are fine. It's the fact that DC keeps bringing it up and making it an issue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

It fits Batman so poorly that one of the biggest complaints I heard (and made) about BvS was Batman suddenly being a mass murderer. It's completely out of character for any version of Batman that wasn't published in the 1930s. That the movies ignore this is irrelevant, as movies are an entirely different medium, and the people making them are not involved or invested in the comics at all.

Only if you take it as a religious rule, as some Batfans do. It doesn't really change Batman's character or motivations as long as he's not going out of his way to slaughter ala the Punisher.

D_T is right this time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

And most of the people who've written Batman, and the company that publishes Batman comics. The movies are literally the only venue where Batman killing hasn't consistently been seen as wildly out of character. Even then, the Nolan movies explicitly walked back from that portrayal (even if "I don't have to save you" is kind of a flimsy excuse.)

"Except Batman, the people who write Batman, and the company that owns Batman, except when they don't, and when they do with flimsy excuses".

The movies are only kind of weird, like "huh, doesn't Batman not kill?". I've always considered it kind of an amusing disconnect but nothing that makes Batman less Batman. It's completely different than Superman lasering bank robbers to ash.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My argument is that Batman shouldn't kill but it becomes an issue when you state over and over that Batman won't kill even though the comic book industry and fandom is obsessed with continuity and establishing that the Joker murders a million people and breaks out every week. No one is saying Batman 66 should slit Cesar Romero's throat, because that series knew what it was and played it straight instead of trying to add gritty realism while still maintaining viable future story possibilities.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If inaction doesn't count as killing, why does he go out of his way to save villains? He saves villains when their deaths wouldn't in anyway be his fault. It's completely up to the writer's whims. It's stupid and arbitrary. It's a dumb dilemma to exist at all, but some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

A Batman that kills a bunch of people indirectly/accidentally and shrugs it off is worse than Bat-Punisher. Then he looks incompetent. Nolan's Batman looked like a goof so much in that series.

Batman has never killed anyone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

For this sort of game it's better to start from the beginning. You get to establish your Batman and his relationships. I'd like to see them add in Robin, and let you decide how to use him. Is he bam and powing right alongside you, or is he used as back up?

Sniper. :unsmigghh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

James Tynion is my new favorite writer.

Now you're obligated to read his Red Hood, aka the bits even D_T didn't like. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

I found the stuff about fan reaction to his Catwoman very interesting.

Fans are loving idiots and take everything at face value.

• Locked thread