Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's a preview of Superman #5, which is here because it reveals that Batman took the time to make a Batcave on the moon.
http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-superman-5/

I only wish those were real bats he brought up there in little spacesuits.

I hope Bat-Cow lives on the Mooooooon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really like The Long Halloween.

The art's not that great, but I really dig the story of the Gotham mob falling apart while crazy supervillains take over, and Harvey's descent into villainy. I just like stories of really good people going bad in general.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, I think the current Spoiler costume is growing on me. I still prefer the old version though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark Knight Strikes Again is basically all the worst things about Dark Knight Returns magnified by a hundred with utterly awful art and coloring.

That was a book where:

Carrie Kelly for some reason becomes Catgirl and has roller blades
Superman and Wonder Woman gently caress so hard it shakes the planet and causes tidal waves (that was right after a scene where Wonder Woman described herself as a prize for Superman to forcefully claim)
Practically every page is covered in talking heads spouting off about nonsense
Batman shows up at Luthor's place, cuts him up, and then just leaves
Dick Grayson has somehow become an immortal Joker who goes around killing other superheroes
Frank Miller makes gay jokes about heroes he doesn't like (Hawk and Dove for instance)
There's some sort of sub plot about sexy cosplay with girls dressing up like female superheroes

It's such an amazing mess of a comic, and I have no idea how Miller got to make a third one after that one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just remembered, I really adore The Doom That Came to Gotham.

One of my favorite DC Elseworld stories, since I love Cthulhu poo poo in general.

The art's pretty good, especially the design of the Eldritch beings

Also Jason Todd dies in it too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Darth Nat posted:

I prefer the new costume because it has the half-mask. I never felt like the expressionless full-face mask fit a character that's supposed to be as outgoing and expressive as Steph.

I mostly like it for how it was drawn in Cassandra's series

They got pretty expressive with it for something that's just two eyes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So did Batman #5 just end with Gotham Girl stating that she and Duke eventually get married? Because drat did King ship those two off pretty quickly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love Batman Returns a lot. It goes to such absurd extremes to be even darker than the first and ends with the Penguin trying to blow up Gotham with penguins with missiles strapped to their back.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

West's Batman is basically perfect for the kind of show the 60s Batman series is. I don't see the point in comparing it to somebody like Afleck's because they have so little in common.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I adore this version of Clayface. He was so upset he had to scare those people.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He'll also be revived as a bad guy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's clearly Baby Doll dressed up as annevil munchkin

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It would be meaningful if it ever felt like Tim was actually friends with anybody on the Teen Titans.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The only I felt it wasn't properly developed the friendship was with the new Power Girl and maybe Raven. All the others were well developed over time, Bunker in particular.

Then again, Bunker was simply the best loving character in the whole series.

I can't really agree at all. Tim basically contributed nothing to most of the arcs, Power Girl was just kinda there, Superboy and Bart just leave and are never heard from again, and Cassie basically stopped having any personal interest in anything after the issue with her Aunt was solved.

On the other hand, Beast Boy's friendships with Bunker and Raven are the only ones that were consistently payed attention to. Everybody mostly just talks about what's immediately happening with the plot never taking a break to slow down for character development.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Note to self: avoid any comics featuring a character named Bunker.

Actually, Bunker's a pretty neat character. I would like to see him written well, but I think he's about to shelved and forgotten about pretty soon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everytime I see arguments about if Batman should kill people or not, or people trying to argue that he's totally killed people I just think about that Grant Morrison quote where he talks about how adults are stupid because they ask questions nobody cares about like: "How does Superman fly?"

Edit - I mean, granted, it's utterly stupid that they acknowledge the no-kill argument in the comics at all. Especially since they never use the obvious justification that Batman is somebody who strongly believes in people reforming, and just go with vague crap about "Something worse will come" or that he'll completely lose himself and become a villain himself.

Roth fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 16, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why does it matter so much that Batman doesn't kill?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I almost can't believe that people don't realize that Batman's no-kill code is about him not intentionally going out of his way to kill people with lethal force.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

I'm sure this made a lot of sense in your mind but What

I'm really lost as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the new arcs for Batman and Nightwing are starting off way better than the first arcs did.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

pubic works project posted:

For just Steam or X-Box One?

I played it on Steam. It's pretty good, probably the first Telltale game I've been really interested in playing the rest of since season 1 of Walking Dead.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How have you made it 10 issues into a run you've hated that much? I drop things way faster than that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batman #10: I’ve Come For Psycho-Pirate

I’ve Come For Psycho-Pirate

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

P.S. Love, Catwoman

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Nightwing was really good this week. The best issue so far, in fact.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't agree with the criticisms of the narration. It would be one thing if it was just Batman describing what he was doing on the page, but it's written as a response letter to Catwoman's in an earlier issue (I think 9?) Removing it would just make it a dull issue of nothing but splash pages and action scenes, but I with it, I really enjoy this way of writing in the conflict between Bruce and Selina without either of them being around each other.

Granted, Catwoman is one of my favorite Batman villains, so that might be an element that makes me like this arc more as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked the Batman Annual, save for that Harley Quinn story which I thought was just irritating.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How Ventriloquist counters Psycho-Pirate is simultaneously the dumbest and best way that could have ended.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

Lemme guess: Pirate's powers don't work on Scarface?

More like they don't work on the Ventriloquist because he only listens to Scarface

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Am I missing something painfully obvious about his name?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yes

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batman #17 was a weird issue. The writing is really strong, but I feel like this story can be paced a lot better. The biggest problem with this run has been issues where barely anything happens, followed by an issue where everything happens really quickly.

Batwoman Rebirth: Eh, pretty much just recap on who Batwoman is, and things that happened in Detective Comics. Nothing special.

Nightwing: Kind of annoyed that this pretty cool, new love interest is already being seemingly fridged. I hope it's a fake out and she'll end up fine, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jaime's original run is some of the best comics DC has ever published, and anybody who doesn't like it is a horrible monster.

The first 26 issues are an excellent example of how to do an overarching story, while still doing plenty of smaller stories that take an issue, before culminating in a climax that's super satisfying and takes advantage of pretty much everything the comic had used before that point. It's an absolute shame that the 13 issues after that weren't as good, and the New 52 and Rebirth runs have been less than stellar, because Jaime and his supporting cast have crazy amounts of potential.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So is this a line wide event?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's great, I love Zatanna.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think you'll find that Joker moved past his addiction to smiling long ago, and that loving hack Tom King is just walking back on all that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Guy/Arkillo fight was awesome though

I think this one kind of falls flat because it's based around recap, whereas there was an emotional link in the Guy/Arkillo one that we didn't just spend the entire series covering.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Detective and Flash are all I'm getting this week.

I just read my comics in whatever order they're stacked in after I've sorted them by company

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That was easily the best issue of Detective Comics of this entire run

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember finding Arkham Asylum to be very difficult to follow, and I was pretty put off by how it was laid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why would you post opinions on the internet?

• Locked thread