Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, his mom is drawn caucasian 100% of the time, so why shouldn't he be? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Today's Batman is fantastic. Definitely King's best issue.
I hope he gets to tell a few more relaxed little stories like this in the future.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Regarding the new ASB, do you think Snyder's retconned Freeze/Nora from the N52 origin, or is the "She loved you" to placate him?

Anyway, issue was great. I loved the presentation of text.
Also bringing back a bit of Adam West style building walking in the backup.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone have images from the original Batman/Catwoman origins to compare? Guessing her's is from Year One.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 19, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wouldn't worry about seeing her too much without a Catwoman comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Like Steph Brown just did. Surely never to return to the team.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fadam posted:

Did they get hosed up by Bane and they're getting healed

No reason to assume not.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

I asked this in the DC general thread but I guess I should have asked here. What was the best out of these 3:

Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
Robin by Chuck Dixon
Batgirl by Kelly Pluckett

I want to sit down and read a good series that I missed out on back in the day.

Just eenie meenie miney it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DK3 #8 Bill Sienkiewicz cover

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How has DK3 been anyway?

Don't bother.

The first issue was kinda promising where it looked like Carrie Kelly and Superman's daughter might be the stars of the show with Old Man Batman and Soups incapacitated, but nope. It's boring, which is a worse crime than anything DK2 did. I'll take that comic's insanity and garishness any day.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 2, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

Godspeed Cassandra Cain ... Maybe one day you'll shine again as you did early on

Are you reading Detective Comics?

Edit: If you haven't been and want to try an issue out, #950 was all about her.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 2, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

So we're a ways into Rebirth now and I think an updated OP is in order.

Should I replace the current OP or make a new post here around page 19-20 and just link to it in the OP?

Has it been long enough to spoil the first few arcs of the Rebirth books? Kinda hard to mention the status quo of Detective right now without giving a few things away.

Make a new thread if you wanna make a new OP. Nobody's going back to the front page.

I think it's safe to list things like Gotham Girl and Harper Row returning to get folks a bit up to speed to picking up current issues.You might have to mention the result of Monster Men to segue into the new Batwoman series, ect.

I'd just make the OP all about the bat-pets, tbh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jock is filling in for an artist who dropped out of All-Star BMan #9 due to injury.
https://twitter.com/Jock4twenty/status/837679397066915840
That's just about the best Jock art I've ever seen, so I'm fine with it!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 3, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Who cares about Batman in Det?
I bet Tynion would remove him from the team if he could.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm pumped for Batwoman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

was Julia Pennyworth ever introduced anywhere? Is she directly related to Alfred?

Introduced in Batman Eternal, joined Snyder's comic for Endgame. She's Alfred's daughter.

edit: And pre-Crisis http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Julia_Remarque_(Earth-One)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

quote:

Previously on Batman comics: You didn't read the comic literally called "Batman"? Get outta here, peasant.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Days, which was teased in Detective Comics #950, got an announcement with two one-shots from Snyder and Tynion (so far.)
http://www.cbr.com/scott-snyder-jim-lee-dc-universe-event-dark-days/

quote:

Writers and frequent collaborators Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV have joined forces with superstar artists Jim Lee, Andy Kubert and John Romita Jr. for two “Dark Days” one-shots: “Dark Days: The Forge,” scheduled for release on June 14, and “Dark Days: The Casting,” set for July 12. The stories are said to explore a mystery that “will reveal the dark underbelly of the DC Universe,” and lead to an as-yet unspecified DCU event.

“Art like this demands an epic story,” Snyder said in a statement. “‘Dark Days’ posits a mystery that traces all the way back to when I started on ‘Batman.’ I’ve hinted at them over the years with Easter eggs and clues. This is a mystery that literally begins at the dawn of man and spans generations of heroes and villains and ultimately leads to huge revelations about the past, present and future of the cosmology of DC. I couldn’t be more excited for ‘Dark Days.’ It’s the prelude to the event we’ve been developing for years.”

While not specifically confirmed, all current evidence points to that being the “Batman-centric” DC Universe event Snyder has planned with artist Greg Capullo, which has been discussed since their acclaimed run on “Batman” ended last year. While Capullo isn’t mentioned in DC’s “Dark Days” announcement, it does state the story is “spearheaded by Snyder,” and Jim Lee’s cover for “Dark Days: The Forge” (the only “Dark Days” art available thus far) is definitely Batman-centric. Snyder’s quote also makes it clear the story has its roots in their “Batman” run.

“Working with Scott and James on ‘Dark Days’ is the culmination of the big ideas and endless brainstorming that came out of a recent creative summit,” Lee, speaking from his position as both “Dark Days” artist and DC Entertainment Co-Publisher, said in a statement. “It was tremendous fun having peers like Andy Kubert and JRJR in with some of our top writers. Strategically, Dan [DiDio] and I have talked for a long time about bringing the artist back to the table in the genesis of big, epic events. The creative summit was just that, and the level of collaboration was truly invigorating and electrifying. We can’t wait to share ‘Dark Days’ with the DC faithful … they’re in for a thrill ride!”

No real plot details of “Dark Days” have been revealed, although it’s said the creative team will “collaborate to develop new ideas and characters, further enriching the DC Universe.” It’s also not known how the creative duties on the “Dark Days” issues will break down, but more insight will likely come when DC Comics’ June 2017 solicitations are released in full later today.

“We’re taking all the ethos and excitement of the work Scott and I have been doing in the Batman titles and unleashing it across the entire DC Universe,” current “Detective Comics” writer James Tynion IV said in a statement. “The size and scope of what we’re looking to do with ‘Dark Days’ could only be accomplished by the best of the best. Andy, Jim and John are legends. All of us on this project are pushing one another, and every concept, to the extreme.”

It doesn't seem like King's 'Batman' will be tying in between the issues. In June it's starting a Riddler/Joker flashback storyline.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

So is this a line wide event?

We've still got some solicits to come, like Detective, but there's no other mention of it in July.

edit:
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/843828945971765249
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/843835252451741697

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 20, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

" I don’t want it to be grim"
I'll take his word for it, but I just noticed the human corpses tied to that gargantuan BMan dude's legs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Full solicits are out (see DC thread) and no more Dark Days than the first one-shot, but in Detective...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Edit: Oh, in more serious news: I might.... like Beyond?

Did Tim keep his love interest after the time skip at the end of Futures End? I thought the neatest thing they could do is keep them an item when she's, like 30 years older.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848908005869486080
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848909071596097536
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848910571747643392
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848911191737065472
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848911822094815236
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/848914296167911424

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Also I hope the Joker is never established as canon gay because that's the shittiest lazy gay panic thing to do is write the villain as sexually threatening to the hero and way too many writers are already doing that. Unless its like Lego Batman where he's kicking Batman to the curb for not reciprocating his feelings.

Snyder used a lot of lover talk from J in Death of The Family, which was actually removed from trades.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm pretty glad we're at the end of the "I am..." trilogy.
I liked Gotham, Suicide was okay for some of the art spreads, but Bane didn't do anything for me.

I am pumped about The Button just to change things up.

I think we're still getting a Bane Aftermath before Riddler/Joker, but with all that and the Swamp Thing issue, I'm hopeful that the rest of the year will actually makes me a fan of King's Batman.

Edit: I loved 'Rooftops'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 5, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I suppose the threat is just supposed to come from your memory of Knightfall, what with his same dumb lackeys popping up.

I Am Bane stunk. David Finch ain't great.
It'd be rad if Mitch Gerads came on to replace him full-time, but I guess they've got Sheriff of Babylon 2 to make :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He became a ninja after this encounter.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, Dr. Hurt is on the cover of this week's Nightwing. What's going on with him?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batgirl is still on the boring evil app developing son of The Penguin storyline, so I'm all about Da Button.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

What are the best "Batbooks" going right now? Can I just jump in and enjoy? I'd be okay at starting with the various Rebirth #1 issues since it's not that much catching up to do.

Rebirth sounds confusing because it's not a true reboot or something but I guess only Superman and a couple others know this so it doesn't matter. I don't think I need to read New 52 stuff?

Read the Geoff Johns Rebirth Special and you can jump right to Batman #21 for the Watchmen Button story, which started off really good.

Detective Comics is definitely the best. It's a group full of supporting characters who popped up during the weekly Batman Eternal series, but if you accept not seeing the origins, just jump on it.

Tom King's Batman is a bit of a disappointment cause he's the brightest star writer in their roster from comics like Grayson and The Vision, but it's been a bit awkward.

Batwoman seems cool so far, but definitely read the Elegy trade first. In fact, read that before Detective where she's the leader and her backstory is involved.

You should definitely read Batman and Batman+Robin from the N52, cause they're good. B+R is from the same team currently killing it on Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think ASB feels a bit pointless, like Snyder should leave Batman now and make his mark on another character, or save the Justice League from Bryan Hitch.

edit: Oh yeah. Batman/Shadow starts too. Super interested in that, and contradicting myself in regards to Snyder/Batman too!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 26, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman/Shadow was awesome. You want some detective-rear end-Batman, check it out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's fun to imagine those three frantically changing back into their costumes in the seconds they got freed to the group shot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Most of the Damian featured comics are pretty excellent, but there's definitely things to skip there.

Resurrection of Ras was a crossover during Morrison's run, but has nothing to do with the rest of it.
Battle for The Cowl is totally unnecessary.
Skip Teen Titans and B&R: White Knight. That's the volume of B&R after Morrison moved to Batman Inc. It wasn't anything amazing.
Forget Endgame. One of the final volumes of Snyder's series won't do anything if you haven't read the rest.
Batman and Robin Eternal isn't much of a Damian series.
Robin War was pretty average. More to do with the street kid Robin gang you wouldn't have been reading about anyway.

Just start on Batman and Son and by the time you get to N52 Incorporated, if you're a fan, follow it up with N52 Batman and Robin and then the Robin solo that followed it.

If you want to save on reading, just start the current Super Sons and Teen Titans.

Edit: As for Nightwing, I'm not too up on that persona, but Dick Grayson's time as Batman (The Black Mirror and Morrison's Batman and Robin) and his stint as a super-spy in "Grayson" are really great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 29, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She corrected someone calling her Orphan last issue. Could mean she's going moniker-less all together.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

"My name... my name is Cain. Sugar Cain."

Cass comes out of her shell as a Juggalette.

edit: Bane digital sale featuring the three 600+ page Knightfall collections for $6 a piece.
https://www.comixology.com/Bane-Sale/page/14854?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 2, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

King just got the 'Good Boy' story from the Batman Annual nominated for an Eisner :)
https://www.comic-con.org/awards/eisner-awards-nominations-2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This was by far the best issue of All-Star. Fantastic.
Snyder needs to let himself be this kind of fun more often.

e: It's weird that the villain is only revealed on the cover.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 11, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For some reason I've read every GMo Batman comic except for Arkham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

• Locked thread