Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

We've all been there.

One of the ghosts was his dad, I know what that's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is he constantly challenging the character who's better at martial arts to a hand to hand fight?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Snyder used a lot of lover talk from J in Death of The Family, which was actually removed from trades.

That's... really weird. The removal part I mean.

purple death ray posted:

Jokers been MIA since Rebirth started. Of course due to the double shipping that feels longer than it has been, but at least it's not a solo Joker story.

Joker needs to be absent from all media for like 5 years before I'm not sick of him anymore. No video games, no cartoons, no movies, no nothing, discontinue his Funko Pops, pull the drat plug. Then maybe when I hear "Joker's coming back" I won't just grimace.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bane isn't just strong, he's supposed to be as good a fighter as Batman but stronger, and his equal in the willpower department, and not too shabby of a planner either. He's basically an Anti-Batman in a lot of ways. And he was the one who kicked Batman's rear end, but it's way unclear if that still happened after all those reboots. I didn't read the story so I don't know if they just do a bad job of showing why he's a threat, but he's not supposed to just be a strong dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fadam posted:

Batman history question: when did the interpretation of Batman as an urban Ninja with plans for everything start? Who came up with that idea?

You will not be surprised to learn that it was Frank Miller's fault. Although Grant Morrison really took the idea of the ultra-prepared "Batgod" to the next level in his JLA run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fadam posted:

Did Miller write non DKR-series Batman?

He wrote Year One, which was arguably even more influential. It's basically Batman Begins, but grittier. There was a lot of ninja in that particular story.

purple death ray posted:

Mark Waid wrote Tower of Babel, I think he deserves a little bit of credit/blame.

Oh, definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have a question. I grew up with the DCAU, I've read a few scattered comics but I need some real Bat experts to help me with this.

Inspired by the scene in Mask of the Phantasm where Bruce says "I can't put myself on the line as long as there's someone waiting for me to come home."

Alfred walks up to him then and mentions Bruce's girlfriend from the movie.
Alfred walks up to Bruce and says the lady will be delighted to hear this.
Alfred, the guy who has been there every step of Bruce's life and would probably be highly distraught if Bruce got himself crippled or dead.

It's understandable that Bruce was impacted by the death of his parents and maybe some other stuff. There are more writers and continuities than I can possibly count. But have any of them properly addressed why he's so...not indifferent exactly but somewhat ungrateful to Alfred? He lost a father sure but he gained a new one. Wasn't Alfred like a new father to him?

What I'm asking is, what are the best stories that focus on their relationship where Bruce realizes how lucky he actually is?

That particular moment might seem callous, but the real dilemma of the film is that Bruce can't be Batman and pursue a happy life. Alfred may not approve entirely of the Batman thing, but he understands. Andrea wouldn't or at least Bruce imagines she wouldn't, and he wouldn't want to keep such a huge secret from her. Obviously Alfred is family to Bruce.

• Locked thread