Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Merrill Grinch posted:

You know, I could really use a crisp piece of meat. A crisp piece of meat. A crisp piece of meat.

(The voice acting is pretty comically bland at best until you get to the first follower, who actually puts in a decent performance.)

I dunno, I kinda liked that alchemist guy for the whole five minutes he lasted.

I just got a loading screen message that told me by the end of the game you can max out, at best, three skill trees. Fair enough. But then it said that maxing two "complimentary" skill trees would unlock some sort of powerful skill, but did not explain what that actually loving means. Does it mean two from the same stone? Because that'd be dumb.

I'm also mildly annoyed that lockpicking seems locked in with archery skills for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

joebob posted:

Everyone has a steam copy of Skyrim. The first thing the installer does is make a backup of your Skyrim files.

Also this game is hard. I spend a lot of time running from fights.

Germans sure seem to like their games difficult. Melee seems pretty harsh in this game, I think I'm gonna go magic.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CommissarMega posted:

So how exactly do I spend these level up points the game is handing to me? I know the skill and craft points are meant to be spent via books, but how do I spend memory points? The description seems a little vague.

Go into bizarre meditation land and touch the nodes on the big rocks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

UberJumper posted:

Anyone know what i am supposed to be doing in old sherath? I killed the big boss, a giant tunnel spider. But it just leads to a more or less empty room.

Jump.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Urthor posted:

It's significantly better

They've learnt a shitload from Nehrim and this game is basically a tutorial in how to do loot. They've hit the mark so well with the dungeons, mix of really short, 1 room dungeons with 1 tough monster and proper full length dungeons, and the hand placed loot and collectibles is amazing. Off the beaten path, they put a chest on top of every mountain it seems like, plus collectible plants and power marks in dungeons.

I'm still annoyed that I'm almost at the main city and I don't have the cuirass for the well travelled set, but otherwise the game has been pretty good. It's also so much prettier than Skyrim was, they did a lot of custom grass and custom plants and custom leaves, and it really adds a lot to the game.

But yeah the loot/dungeoneering is a masterclass.

I seem to have multiples of a lot of armor set pieces, yet I'm constantly missing the chest piece for all of them. Quite mysterious.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

How do I use Enderal with Mod Organizer? I don't know where to find its .esm to start with.

Edit: Duh, it doesn't have its own name, it's just called Skyrim.esm. I'm dumb about this kinda stuff sometimes.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 16, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man there sure are shitloads of things to do in this city. Right now my main goal is to find the keys to every bank vault and steal everyone's loot.

I wonder if investing gold is actually worthwhile? I doubt it somehow. I like how the cheaper house is actually quite affordable, under 1000 gold for me at my current rhetoric level. I could've afforded it outright but I spent a lot of backed up gold in skillbooks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

joebob posted:

Where abouts are your finding keys?

I invested 5000 pennies and am currently earning 147 more per day. It's not super fast.

I've only found a couple so far, one in that MASSIVE crypt you can find under the city from a couple locations, and I found two in various shops. The one for the tailor, for instance, is really obvious. I feel a couple of them are behind Master-level doors but a fair few seem to be relatively out in the open.

Speaking of that massive crypt, wow, I was NOT expecting something of that size just randomly being there. I levelled up TWICE in there. TWICE. And I finally found the chestpiece to a set... For the wrong armor skill. Anyone know where the chestpiece of the Ratcatcher set can be found? I have multiples of the head, arms and legs but no chest piece (or amulet if it has one, I know I have a set amulet for something else).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

UberJumper posted:

I found that in Goldshire Castle (its not far from Riverville) on the final boss.

The heck, if you mean that weird mage chick at the very end, she dropped the chest piece of the NOMAD set for me. I thought the loot was hand-placed?

Edit: Also to answer your question, near where you initially found that kid there's a big dead tree up on a hill. Just climb up to it and look around, you should see some ruin-type ground nearby. Just follow the path from there, hard to miss it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't understand how something can be cut for time in a free mod that, as far as I was aware, was being developed as a hobby by the creators, and thus shouldn't really have any deadlines, but oh well, there's decent enough content in the game already.

Edit: Also I found a couple items down in that massive crypt that seem somewhat unique so I've held on to them in case they were quest related. One is a scroll that apparently will teleport me to 'a strange place' and another is a uniquely named bottle of wine.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mortimer posted:

buy skill books from merchants or find them in the world

You want to start with apprentice because those only go up to 25 and are really cheap

I'm not sure what leveling the magic skills does, elemental damage hasn't changed between 15-30 at all.

I am entirely uncertain about what leveling magic skills does too. Maybe it lowers mana costs or something? I have no clue.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anyone know where the hell I can get some Psionics tomes? Everywhere I go seems to have tons of tomes for every other magic class, but nothing for Psionics. Is it because it's considered SUPER EVIL in the plot? If so where can I find some evil mage to sell some of that poo poo to me because goddamn I'm like 20 hours in and the only actual Psionics spell I've found is still just Panic.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mortimer posted:

The memory points aren't massive damage increases, and apparently there are enough points to max out every tree.

Or you could type "help 'memory' 4" and find the +1 memory scroll and add some to your inventory then promise you won't use magic :thumbsup:

Uhhh I dunno where you read that you get enough points to max out every tree, even the loading screens seem to say that you're going to be able to max out three trees, tops.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also here's a pro-tip to everyone that I forgot to mention a couple days ago: Try to interact with every well. Trust me on this one. If you're past the Sun Coast and don't know what I'm talking about, you already missed one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Don't worry, late-game is NPC's preaching to you about the evils of atheism.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mortimer posted:

skill points and learning points seem pointless

dump em in armor and move on it seems like

Learning points are essential for putting into rhetoric so I get more EXP out of quests and more gold and such. Also supposedly you can craft cool poo poo later with Handicraft?

I'm pretty sure the weapon skills are also worth putting points into. Maybe? I think it's only magic that's kinda whatever.

Zereth posted:

What exactly do I need for that sun coast one anyway? Is it a specific item somewhere in the region, or do I just need any old gold goblet and what sounds like an an emerald?

You got it, any old GOLD goblet (needs to be specifically a gold goblet) and an emerald. I'm not sure if it needs to just be a standard emerald or if flawless will work as well but a regular one definitely works

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If it's like Skyrim it decreases the magicka cost. But if you're only summoning a bound weapon every 5 minutes or so it probably doesn't matter. I feel like making perks no longer require a certain skill level might have been a misstep.

On the flipside, it feels like the devs saw how weak destruction magic was in Skyrim and responded by making Elementarist spells hilariously overpowered. Shock magic is particularly devastating--Blazing Spark Rank I is 22 shock damage for 7 magicka, and that's enough to instantly one-shot any Sun Coast monster from across a room with a dual cast. I just got to Ark and found Rank II, which is 46 damage for just 11 magicka. And that's an Apprentice-level spell. :stare:

Earlier today I was faffing about in the southern part of the map when I found myself up against a dragon. After dying a couple times due to getting one shot by fireballs, I found out that by summoning some random poo poo (I think I used a Clay Elemental) I could pelt the dragon safely with dual cast Ice Spike II's. It only took about a dozen of those before it went down, probably would've been much faster if I had III's. A far cry from vanilla Skyrim, that's for sure.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

evilmiera posted:

It needs to be a regular one, as I found out after buying a flawless one :saddowns:

Edit: also in regards to the skull you get from the semi-crazy lady in Riverville, where were you supposed to use it again? Her grating voice made me skip her dialogue and there was no quest to point the way.

Nearby the Three River Watch there's this circle of stones place, that's where you use it. IIRC it's somewhat to the southeast of it. It's got a map marker and everything.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does anyone know what items are required for the Wishing Wells quests? I got an emerald for the first one but nothing happened, so I'm guessing that's not what a "grass coloured stone" is.

Also with the Butcher of Ark books - are any of them locked behind quests or are they all just laying around the world somewhere?

The first one needs an emerald AND a golden goblet, AND it needs to be a regular emerald, not flawless.

I don't know about the books. I'm up to 6/10 and so far they have all been just laying around on the world. There seems to be many copies of all of them.

Edit: Also the further you get in the game, the better the scenery seems to get. The Sun Coast was fine but kinda boring, some later areas are actually somewhat unique feeling to explore. I poked my head into the desert briefly (shortly before it got chopped off) and that place looks pretty amazing.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 21, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

evilmiera posted:

A big thing with this mod is that there's a real issue of shifting quality between areas, and even dungeons in those areas. Quality Control is a difficult beast as it is, but when you've got a large crew making a giant mod it becomes almost impossible for everything to be at the same awesome level.

Some places are just ok, some are unfinished, and others would net you a job almost immediately if you admitted to making them.

Edit: By the by, where can I sell off staves? I'm carting around like 5 of them right now and there is no merchant in Ark I can find that buys them.

The Apothecarii guy in the Sun Temple buys em.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I also had trouble with finding someone to offload my staves, the magic shop in the noble quarter will buy them.

Does enchanting and handicraft ever become viable? the game throws set pieces at you if you explore and their stats are far beyond what you could get on single enchant items and I don't think a couple points of higher armor would be worth using a none-set piece for.

Worth it for weapons alone so far. I have yet to find a weapon better than what I can make myself. Besides, what else are you gonna put those points into?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Skwirl posted:

Rhetoric and Alchemy?

Yeah Rhetoric is pretty good too. But I don't think you need Handicraft higher than 50 to make anything, so I've kinda decided to just go 50 handicraft, 50 rhetoric, 50 enchanting to start off. If I still have crafting points after that I guess I'll toss em into alchemy but I always thought skyrim potion making was a pain in the rear end so probably not. Might just buff enchanting or rhetoric further.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

evilmiera posted:

What's the deal with these combined skill trees? Do I have to max out the trees I want to combine to get a special bonus or something?

You put at least 10 points into two different trees and some combinations will trigger a special class name that gives you an extra buff. Honestly, the buffs aren't so amazing you should bother intentionally aiming for these combos, they're just a nice bonus you may or may not end up getting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ProfessorCirno posted:

So far it feels like ordinary melee is for chumps. There's a ton of absurd things to do with bows, especially since it seems possible to trip over stupidly powerful Bound Bow tomes very early on. And on that note, likewise, bound weapons overwhelmingly seem better then just about any of the non-bound melee options I've found. Summons seem mostly ok, but there are a few great combat spells.

Anyone had problems with armor? It doesn't seem to actually do a whole lot.

Honestly, I'm starting to think sneak mage is the unofficial "correct" choice.

Even if that is the case, I've been coasting along just fine with my Heavy Armor/One Handed/Elementalism character. Just pelt things far away with fireballs and then swing swords at them when/if they get close. Working out fine for me. Helps that Heavy Armor has that insane not-shout that makes you nigh-immortal for 6 seconds, which is more than enough to murder anything in close range.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fair warning to everyone so they don't waste time on this like I did, apparently only the first Lost Hearts quest is active at the moment, according to german patch notes. I found this out only after combing through the dark valley for a few hours looking for the next one...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eh you can't enhance enchanted weapons but you can enchant enhanced weapons. Just gotta do it in order. My made from scratch weapons are still better than anything I can find (tho the enchantment buggery is definitely making it so the enchantments are starting to drop off in power a bit). I feel like I'll just give myself some enchantment perks eventually because it's kinda bull that your enchantments are forever worse than the ones that spawn in the wild.

A lot of aspects of this mod, now that I'm further in, definitely feel pretty half-baked, but the environmental design is usually pretty top-notch, which is what's keeping me playing. It actually feels nice to know that nearly every single point of interest in the map is actually of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mega64 posted:

So when will someone uncover how useless Rhetoric and Handicraft are? Seem the only crafting skills that aren't proven to be poo poo yet.

Handicraft is good for weapons and ONLY weapons. Rhetoric has a very obvious effect on buying and selling prices, which is incredibly important in this game where raising skills costs a shitload of money. They're probably the two most obviously solid crafting skills.

• Locked thread