Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The class bonuses are minor enough that you probably shouldn't plan your build around them. I only got a class around level 70 after filling out three perk trees and having nothing else to spend points on, for example. I guess adding classes for all other possible combinations is a good idea for a mod, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Mortimer posted:

How is magic? Vanilla skyrim destruction is kinda terrible, is enderal's better?

It's not significantly different from Skyrim. All of the basic spell types are basically the same, just with rebalanced costs and damage/duration/power. Biggest differences are probably the summons, which obviously use different creatures, plus the addition of mark & recall. The five spell schools are grouped into three perk trees, one for destruction, one for alteration & restoration and one for illusion & summoning, all giving roughly the same benefits as the perks in regular Skyrim (and various more exciting powers to replace shouts).

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

kikkelivelho posted:

Some of the spells at least seem to have stronger versions of them (rank 2 and 3 and so on) so it might be fixed? Magic is really powerful at the start but I have no idea how it's going to scale.

I just finished the game as a pure destruction/alteration mage, so that's certainly doable. Now I can do it again as a melee tank going after the other companion and ending, I guess.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Absolutely all items are hand-placed, the devs just put in multiples of every set item so you still have a chance at getting a full set without clearing literally every single dungeon. There are some truly unique weapons to be found later in the game, though.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

evilmiera posted:

So this arcane fever, is it a timed gameover kind of thing or just a mechanic that incentivizes sleep and buying ambrosia?

Neither really, its only effect is disincentivizing excessive mid-combat healing. Unless you're chugging dozens of potions to get through every combat, you'll probably forget that the mechanic even exists for hours at a time. There are some locations where it rises on its own that'll occasionally require you to use an ambrosia, but you can literally count those on one hand.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Few questions about Ark:

- Where in gods name can i buy a reliable source of lockpicks? I have cleaned out everyones stock of them and they don't seem to restock.

- Is there anyone in this game that i can sell stolen goods to?

There are a couple of generic fences in the Undercity. The big thief guild questline down there unfortunately had to be cut for time; the devs have said that they may release it as "DLC" at some point (and the merchant guild questline is apparently finished but still in testing at the moment).

quote:

- In the golden sickle, there is a massive crypt in the basement does this have a quest associated with it?

- The vault seems to have a bunch of neat items hidden behind master locks, where exactly do i get the keys for this? Someone NPC mentioned they lost their key to their vault awhile back, but no quest came of this.
No quest, and I vaguely remember a key in the central embalming chamber.

quote:

- I cleaned out the majority of Ark, and only got a grand total of maybe 5-6 quests. Is there more?
I'm counting around 16 side quests starting in Ark. Try barging into every house that isn't locked and reading the posters and notices put up on walls.

quote:

- Does anyone know how many pieces there are for each set?

Four, expect Selna's heavy armour, which has five.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't understand how something can be cut for time in a free mod that, as far as I was aware, was being developed as a hobby by the creators, and thus shouldn't really have any deadlines, but oh well, there's decent enough content in the game already.

I got the impression that they're trying to avoid what happened to Tamriel Rebuilt and other big mod projects like that, i.e. getting bogged down in endless revisions and perfectionism until people get bored and leave.

Zereth posted:

Can I actually use the Master Skull like the lady who gave it to me described, and if so where do I use it because I didn't write down what she said or get a quest about it.

Check out the small ring of stones at the road leading to the village, near the mine. Should be marked on your map if you visited it before.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Nice try but those are both crafting points skills. I'm talking about learning points which if you're a mage are 100% worthless

I constantly ran out of mana in mid-game fights and got my rear end handed to me as a result before I ditched the beginner set and started wearing a patchwork suit to stack spell cost reductions, so I wouldn't really call a up to 50% (I think) reduction in mana costs worthless. Maybe if you only use summons or shield spells, but being able to fire off even one more chain lightning or fireball before running empty is a big improvement when you can only cast like six or seven of those even after putting all level-up increases into mana.

e: I just checked, at the end of the game, my mana pool is sitting just below 500 points and my elementalism level is 113. Wearing no equipment, I can fire off a grand total of seven dual-casted, rank six fireballs before running out. An average enemy can take four or five of those to the face before dying. At 15 skill, I can use only four of them. With equipment, that changes to seven/twelve fireballs, respectively.

Mygna fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 19, 2016

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It literally is an incomplete quest. Apparently the guy that worked on it left and they kept it in because it's a decent enough location and why not.

There was no English translation for what the Veiled Woman says after she resurrects Jespar just as the screen flashes white. Does anyone happen to know what she said? It seemed important.

Not that important, no: "Farewell, Prophet. We may meet again. Or we may not."

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

adamarama posted:

How many skills and talents is it viable to level up without spreading points too thinly? I want to focus on bows and summon magic but would like to splash a few points in one handed.

Assuming you don't rush through the game, you should have enough points to max four combat and two crafting skills, with a couple dozen points left over respectively. Keep in mind however that master skill books (at least the ones for combat skills) are horrendously expensive - bringing a single skill from 75 to 100 costs close to 30.000 bucks. I finished with two maxed skills and two more at 80, with another hundred points left unused because I literally ran out of money.

As for perk trees, you can barely finish four of those, if you do everything in the game and maybe forego maxing out a few of the shout talents in them.

Yeah i definitely need to buy clairvoyance. I swear this is bordering on plagiarism with how much it steals from the mass effect story. If i don't end this game by picking a blue red or green choice I'll be surprised.

:laugh:

Mygna fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 20, 2016

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Andrast posted:

Is there any benefit to maxing a tree out? Most of them seem to have talents I'd want to skip even if I'm interested in the tree itself.

Putting at least ten points each into certain combinations of trees unlocks a "class affinity" that gives you some extra bonuses, but beyond that, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Has anyone come across any faction type quests that are more than meet a guy then go on a dungeon crawl for them and come back? I keep hearing about this group that runs the Undercity but I haven't come across any quests for them yet.

I've finally found this particular post on their forums again, so I'm just gonna quote it here:

http://forum.sureai.net/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=8649 posted:

Greetings!

After the launch went (relatively) well we would like to take some time to talk about all the things that did not (partly: yet) made it into the game, despite all the hard work and willpower.

Guild questline - The Golden Sickle: The Golden Sickle is a long questline in Ark that deals with the merchants guild "Golden Sickle" and the kilean Sugar Island Union. The quest is very non-linear and has 5 endings in total. Sadly we didn't manage to finish testing all of it by the time of the release. A future patch will however include it.

More bards: Right now there is only one type of voice for the female bards - as of now the male and second female one are silent. Actually those are finished but we will have to add the files uncompressed so the patch will be about 200MB, also a (very, very beautiful) Song is not finished yet. We will add all of this once the traffic on our servers goes down a bit. - Already implemented by now, except for the english versions of the songs maybe?

Cutscene-system: Those who followed the development of Enderal for some time now will know what this is about. Originally it was planned to stage certain key Story-Events in a cineastic way. The system was indeed functional but the testing of certain camera angles was really hard and would have required us to reach too deep into the engine. In the end the costs and benefits wouldn't justify the effort besides we probably would have created alot of unforseen problems.

Realtime-Flying system: An especially frustrating case for us. one of our coders spend several months on this and even implemented it fully functional into the game. In the end it failed because the Creation Engine simply couldn't process all it had to load which resulted in crashes even on high end systems. No matter what we tried it just wouldn't work - and in the end we had to settle for the classic "Strider" solution. :cry:

Guild questline - Rhalāta: The most painful loss. The Rhalāta-questline dealed with the eponymus cult in the Undercity led by the so called "Father". You meet Tharaźl, a tight-lipped Aeterna who infiltrated the Rhalāta and plans to kill the Father. The four quests were absolutly amazing and also featured many ties to the "Butcher of Ark" - a lot of dark stuff similar to the sequences with Daddy with some cool twists and, thanks to the excellently designed Undercity by Julian (Sagantor), a unique atmosphere. The quest was already almost fully voiced and partly implemented but in the end a team member left to work an another (not yet released) mobile project. The loss of this questline greatly upsets us to this day. For anyone who wants to remain in sad reminiscence I recommend the awesome Rhalāta/Tharaźl-theme made by Marvin: klick - They've said that they may patch this one in "by the end of the year, maybe"

Story quest Jespar: An additional quest about a wicked part of Jespars past that starts at the beginning of act 2. (keyword Silvercloud) Same problem as with the other quests.

Story quest Calia: An additional quest after a certain point in Calias backstory, dealing with her family background.

Story quest Yuslan: A two-part quest that deepens the topic of the "Sea of Eventualities" (different realities) which also shines some light on the past of Yuslan Sha'Rim. The key point of the quest is a magical device called the "World converter" which Yuslan tries to reconstruct. It allows its user to travel through different realities. This also had to be scrapped since only two of our five quest-scripters remained at the end of development.

Questline - Chaime: A questline set in Duneville. Starting with a not so unusual seeming murder the player eventually meets the serial killer Chaime. A quest that only lived by the personality of Chaime. This questline also fell under the responsibility of the team member that left.

Sidequest - Light and Shadow: Another quest in the Powder Desert about two unusual children called Light and Shadow and a stone idol. Grim/surreal atmosphere a very cool story and two endings. One of our favorite quests but again. The time.

Druid class: This one was out relativle early but in the beginning we planned to include more than "only" the nine classes the game has now. Among others we wanted to create a druid who can change into different forms. Sadly this was also scrapped due to lack of time.

More synergies: Simple but it would have been cool. More synergy affects amongst the talents. Also scrapped due to lack of time. But it would be easy to mod!

Maybe we find, despite work (and in my case travelling) some time to patch some of the things mentioned here - it also depends on if the community misses them. Maybe we will expand this list in the future since we surely forgot this or that. :)

Thank you for all the great feedback up until now!

Best wishes and have fun playing the game!
SureAI

• Locked thread