Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I really like Enderal even though it's ridiculously slow. But it's slow in a good, slice-of-life way. Yesterday I spend a whole evening exploring the city, just talking to people and reading books. I feel like I got gently caress-all done but I had fun anyway.

I play the German version and I love the voice acting and writing of the game. Not sure about the main quest yet cause I'm not far in, but I like everything else, especially when it comes to world-building. Contrary to Skyrim, I read most of the books that contain stories, and they're pretty long too for game standards. Usually I'm a bit reluctant because, as with any RPG, you got goals you want to accomplish and reading books ain't helping. But whenever I get a few pages in, I get caught up in the story and have to finish it. Like those stories where some bloke meets people with certain skill sets, or the one about an expedition, or the little moralistic propaganda tracts that are supposed to teach you lessons about faith. They really flesh out the world and give context to other quests. Like the books ranting against noble excesses showing the cracks of their societal system.

Would've nice though if they had delayed it for a bit and finished fixing bugs and closing dangling quest lines. Had multiple encounters where NPC's were obviously supposed to start a dialogue but just stood there going 'Wuh?' or something similar, including Jespar. Usually that's fixed by reloading or restarting the game, but it's a bit annoying still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm doing the hoarding thing again. Are there any resources that actually warrant that? I've got a ton of gems, silver and gold ingots, and if they're actually never really used for anything I might as well craft some jewelry and convert that poo poo into skill books.

Also, how does the house thing work? I see I can either buy myself to an outfitted house, or outfit it myself. Is the second thing worth the trouble of getting all the plans and resources, compared to just paying a lump sum?

Edit: Ugh. The house system is a bit weird. It seems like you can't change/move/delete any of the pieces that are added when you buy the default outfit. But if you want to outfit your own house, you already don't seem to be able to change a few default features. The bed is stuck, and so is the chair and some sort of cupboard thing in the hallway. I can't have that if I were to outfit it myself, then the whole setup needs to be neat und tidy. And I don't think I can be arsed to gather a truckload of building plans and materials.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 3, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

There aren't really any get-rich-quick schemes, but some of the better quests seem to be the bounty boards. There's one next to the dude who is always at the leather station in the first village you arrive, and another one on the market in Ark. 100-200 Groschen (what are they in English, pennies?) for each kill is decent enough.

Apart from that, just making a bunch of garbage potions, even with low alchemy, can still net you 10-50 pennies per piece. Having a few thousand in the bank gets you a bit of interest per day. What also might help is choosing an artefact as reward from the first wishing well you find (the one west of the river village). It's a necklace with something like a 17% rhetoric bonus. I guess crafting and selling might also work but I don't know. I keep sitting on 100+ iron for no good reason so I guess I should try that.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I really like the abilities gained from talents. Fire arrows are fairly powerful and being able to stop time for a few seconds can make a huge difference. They don't have a long cooldown so you can pretty much use them every encounter and they make you feel powerful not because you put the right amount of points into things but because if you time them correctly you feel a tiny bit like you're playing Dishonored.

Is there any place that has or sells Malachite? I think I found 1 vein and 1 ingot or something and I really need more. I also need the game to stop crashing after a random amount of time, but that's a different matter.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I could cast the spell to summon an ice elemental during time stop, but the actual summoning would only take effect after time stop ran out. Kinda like how arrows just hang around in the air until time starts moving again. Sometimes this has weird effects, like it looked like my fire arrows just pass through people.

Is there any use for corundum other than melting it into steel? Cause if not then I'll make a ton of steel and turn it into daggers for sale.
Edit: No there is not. Corundum bars are useless. Don't make corundum bars. Make steel.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 4, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah the follower/pet AI can be aggravating at times, and it seems to blend over into combat AI as well. Depending on I don't know what variable, there's a chance that the goat-people will just straight up run away from my summons. There's also a good chance that my summoned elementals run off in a random direction during a fight. I've also had Jespar run in a giant circle to get to me, aggro'ing multiple crystal elementals in the process. At some point he just stopped following me and I didn't notice. So I engaged a group, blew all my talents and thought, "great, now it's about time for Josef to jump in and tank for a bit". I looked around and he was standing there atop a hill half a mile away.

There are no crafting recipes higher than 50, but depending on your character it might be worth it. At 50 you can make the best backpack (60 weight iirc), as well as the highest weapons/armors. I think they planned to add more special stuff at higher requirements, but that never made it into the game. Stuff you craft yourself generally has better damage/armor, especially when upgraded, but it's a bit of a tossup whether raw armor/damage outweighs the benefits of already enchanted items like sets, because you can't improve armor/weapons as well as enchant them. Also, apparently you don't need both lockpicking skills as well as lockpicking talents. Seems putting points into either of them is sufficient. I always thought the lockpicking skill would make it easier, whereas the talents would just enable opening higher level locks, so it seems I wasted a shitton of points. Oh well.

Apart from that, though, I love the whole talent system. Skyrim's shouts were fun, but I never felt they were necessary, and the shared cooldown meant you couldn't use them much anyway. I use talents a lot more often in Enderal and if I don't then I'm pretty much dead on the highest difficulty with my squishy archer/mage combo. Chaining multiple crowd control talents makes it a lot of fun to fight groups; freezing enemies, stopping time and stunning enemies, tripping and slowing them down with oil, summoning an aggro-pull dwemer-spider. Although some talents are a bit too powerful. The dwemer spider thing seems to have 100% uptime because the skill has zero cooldown as long as you don't explode it manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

At 100 rhetoric the last 75-100 stretch costs me about 17k. That's a decent chunk of money. But how easy it is to pay that seems to mostly depend on what level you're at. If you try to level one skill from 0 to 100 asap, you'll run into a lot of money problems. Leveling about 3 skills simultaneously gets you through the mid-game stretch where at best the loot you find brings in a few 100's per item. Once you can safely pillage three and four star regions, every time your inventory is full you probably have around 10-30k of value on you, especially if you're willing to sell set items you'll never wear anyway.

I'm not sure I'm happy with the whole patching thing. From what I gather when I played modded Skyrim, adding and removing things mid-game is a sure recipe to gently caress up your save game. The latest patch only seems to add bard songs, so that's cool, but I think I'd rather not patch anything else in my current game. All I've got left to do is the desert and a few spots up north and then I'm done. Just put a whole bunch of points into healing/alteration, and the magic armor upgrade plus magic resistance of that tree makes you near immortal.

• Locked thread