Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Where the movie really messed up was how the pothead chose to not die to save the world, since usually stoners are all depressed and suicidal from addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Cymoril posted:

Agreed. I feel like the only person who did not enjoy this movie, but I walked into the theater expecting something completely different than what actually happened, and I have not revisited it.

Also As Above, So Below is the best horror film.

quote:

As Above, So Below is a 2014 American horror film written and directed by John Erick Dowdle and co-written by his brother Drew. It is presented as found footage of a documentary crew's experience exploring the Catacombs of Paris. The fi…

Nope.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Because it was a stupid loving movie written by idiots.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

But I like it. :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cymoril posted:

But I like it. :(

Me too and anti-found footage snobbery is the worst. There are some really bad ones but most are good to great. It's just "in" now to like things that are "subversive" like cabin in the woods. Honestly I think it would have been much better if it played it straight without trying so hard to be funny.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cabin in the woods was never once actually scary so I wouldn't classify it as a horror movie. It was more of a dark comedy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

vols bitch posted:

it was a bad movie, you're welcome op

The fact that the movie had a purge all monsters button is the best thing about it. I was thinking "Man, it'd be cool if those monsters got out".

And then that button was there. Thanks Based Whedog and Goddogerd.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

Murphy Brownback posted:

Me too and anti-found footage snobbery is the worst. There are some really bad ones but most are good to great. It's just "in" now to like things that are "subversive" like cabin in the woods. Honestly I think it would have been much better if it played it straight without trying so hard to be funny.

When found footage is done well, it is extremely good (As Above, So Below, REC) but most of the genre is trash.

I knew nothing about the movie when I went to see it and was expecting it to be played straight, which is probably why I was so turned off. I keep meaning to watch it again, but effort.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I prefer the robot chicken version.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Gaunab posted:

joss whedon

:argh:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't think Cabin in the Woods is actually even a horror movie but it's a good movie. Best horror movie so far this millennium was It Follows.

Yes. It follows made me feel like I was in the 80s again

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A few days after watching It Follows I woke up in the middle of the night to go watch a moon eclipse and walked into my unemployed nerd neighbour standing still in the middle of the lobby, staring straight at me. I got a good approximation of a cardiac arrest I guess.

There's something about this movie that stayed with me for a long time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I liked it a lot when I first saw it, but after rewatching it there are a lot of parts that are just goofy as hell. I didn't really mind the heavy-handed anti-sex thing it had going like some people c omplain about though, I mean there does have to be a premise after all. I just like it less and less every time I see it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It was good, but man, that final cgi hand was loving terrible

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
The Witch was the best horror movie this millenium, It Follows was a close second. Cabin in the woods was ok

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Gaunab posted:

joss whedon

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaunab posted:

joss whedon

it's 'josh'

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shakill OReal posted:

If they didn't kill enough people the Ancients would rise and so they had a button to release monsters in to the facility because if all else fails people still need to die.

But the monsters killed everyone in the facility and the ancients still rose tho?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It Follows was an overwrought nostalgIc mess.

But it had v a p o,r w a v e

See also: Stranger THings

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm just glad nobody is saying Babadook is the best horror movie of the millenium like tons of people were when it first came out. That is one of the most unpleasant experiences (and not because it was scary) in recent memory for me from a horror movie.

A Touch of Satan
Apr 6, 2009

Applewhite posted:

But the monsters killed everyone in the facility and the ancients still rose tho?

The ancients rose because the monsters failed to kill the one person they were supposed to.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A Touch of Satan posted:

The ancients rose because the monsters failed to kill the one person they were supposed to.

Frankly I'm surprised that none of the people at the facility were an appropriate substitute. There were more than a couple young people working there. Not a single one of them was a fool?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

You can't block monsters' egress in the event of a fire. NFPA code.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
My guess for the purge button is that it would flood the cabin dome with monsters, definitelY killing the teenagers above ground.

But I think the stoner and the virgin broke the elevator by trying to control it? So the monsters got stopped up and overflowed the compound instead.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

My guess for the purge button is that it would flood the cabin dome with monsters, definitelY killing the teenagers above ground.

But I think the stoner and the virgin broke the elevator by trying to control it? So the monsters got stopped up and overflowed the compound instead.

See, releasing all the monsters above ground would make tons more sense.

But even if the elevator thing were true. they only broke one and there were at least eight. Frankly, I don't see why the elevators full of monsters would even be capable of accessing the main facility.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You can't block monsters' egress in the event of a fire. NFPA code.

Safety first.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

the great deceiver posted:

The Witch was the best horror movie this millenium, It Follows was a close second. Cabin in the woods was ok

i like that the devil was a pirate

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I dunno there's a lot going on in that movie I should re watch it they probably have some throwaway line about elevator maintenance.

It's a fun movie, I watched it twice when it played at my campus theater. Everything post-purgebutton was legitimately entertaining.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did they ever explain why "Upstairs" rerouted the tunnel collapse power?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Applewhite posted:

Frankly I'm surprised that none of the people at the facility were an appropriate substitute. There were more than a couple young people working there. Not a single one of them was a fool?

I was honestly surprised by the ending, the one I saw telegraphed was

Shot framed to look like girl will shoot the fool
Closeup of barrel to show gunshot from 3/4 front view; shot holds, girl's hands get shaky, look of horror/regret on face, drop pistol
shot of fool looking at chest, pan left to show administrator who was shot instead
administrator falls into pit
rumbling subsides
"Huh, I guess she was the fool all along

Though in hindsight subverting that test-audience-satisfying drivel was the whole point of the movie

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Cabin In the Woods is good in a goofy way. As Above, So Below is a goddamn garbage fire of a movie. Solid horror movies in the last couple years? You could argue the first two have a thriller component to them, but they definitely fall into the realm of the horrific.

Kill List
I Saw the Devil
The Loved Ones
It Follows
The Innkeepers
Southbound

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The Descent was a great horror movie especially if you consider the original cut ending.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

vols bitch posted:

it was a bad movie, you're welcome op

Remember that time the volunteers almost beat the florida gators and then lost anyhow like they have against everyone for the last decade? That was last year haha you're a bad movie jerk! Friggin turd! Haha owned!

Cabin in the Woods 1, The Tennessee Volunteers 0.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I saw The Witch in theaters and that was a good slow burn historical horror film. The ending is also feminist as gently caress so, a good date movie as well

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
But I prefer to have a ton of fun watching a movie if I see it in theaters, that's why I like Cabin in the Woods

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
If you really thought this movie was bad you are pretty gay but thats alright because together in one great gay commentary we can <3 each other because lets be honest its the best horror movie in the last few years.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Dave_Indeed posted:

Remember that time the volunteers almost beat the florida gators and then lost anyhow like they have against everyone for the last decade? That was last year haha you're a bad movie jerk! Friggin turd! Haha owned!

Cabin in the Woods 1, The Tennessee Volunteers 0.

vols

bitch

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

vols bitch posted:

vols

bitch

let me run something by you:

bitch

vols

Adbot