Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ohsosad posted:

If you really thought this movie was bad you are pretty gay but thats alright because together in one great gay commentary we can <3 each other because lets be honest its the best horror movie in the last few years.

it wasnt scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Who gets scared by a movie anymore?

I'm only addressing this question to adults

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Cymoril posted:

Also As Above, So Below is the best horror film.

lmao

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Lol

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Toadvine posted:

Who gets scared by a movie anymore?

I'm only addressing this question to adults

I don't think I've ever watched a horror movie to be scared, even when I was a kid. It's more for the creeps. Like, Solaris has a sort of the creepy vibe going on, albeit much more serene than the kind you get from a horror movie. But parts of The Ring freaked me out when it was released. IT is the scariest movie of all time for me, but of course, I was a kid when I first saw it. I might be biased.

Also, some of the best horror movies of all time are meant to be disturbing more than scary. Like Eraserhead or as an example of a kinda hybrid style, The Shining. Tideland gets mixed reviews but it also disturbed the poo poo out of me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The only thing that scares me is the passage of time and its unrelenting assault on the human body and mind.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Cabin in the Woods was certainly thrilling in the second half, and had enough odd elements in the first half to be suspenseful and mysterious

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

SouthLAnd posted:

The only thing that scares me is the passage of time and its unrelenting assault on the human body and mind.

Haunting indeed. :smith:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Is this movie on Netflix?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Haha I have a mortgage and kids I need to feed and adult responsibilities and if I lose my job we're hosed and we dlive in a world w. global warming, terror, economic recession and the non-zero risk of me or my wife getting cancer at age 40 or us both dying in a car crash leaving our children alone in the world.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I mean like what the gently caress kind of horror movie could ever be as scary as being an adult person w. Uh, a freaking witch in the TV and there's a monster in the well . Big woop. Meanwhile if I lose my job we're losing the house and if I gently caress up my marriage I won't get to see my kids like 50% of the time for the rest of my life and will be completely alone.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Minimalist Program posted:

I mean like what the gently caress kind of horror movie could ever be as scary as being an adult person w. Uh, a freaking witch in the TV and there's a monster in the well . Big woop. Meanwhile if I lose my job we're losing the house and if I gently caress up my marriage I won't get to see my kids like 50% of the time for the rest of my life and will be completely alone.

Yes that is the true horror story. But is this movie on Netflix?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Good points, but have you seen something like The Shining? You experience the horror vicariously. It's like, what if that guy in the TV were you? Rly makes u think

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

Cabin in the Woods is probably the best horror movie of 21st century so far tbh

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yeah it is. like by far.

but i agree applewhite lolk

someone probably beat me to it but...it follows.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Kuato posted:

Good points, but have you seen something like The Shining? You experience the horror vicariously. It's like, what if that guy in the TV were you? Rly makes u think

HAha but at least that dude died like a couple days after going insane and losing his family. Meanwhile my life is such that if I have a mental breakdown due to stress and go insane and lose my family, I get to live for another 50-60 years completely alone and w/o my kids or wife, and my kids will be hurt and traumatized by the experience and carry that with them into their adult lives and repeat the cycle,.. haha.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HAha but at least that dude died like a couple days after going insane and losing his family. Meanwhile my life is such that if I have a mental breakdown due to stress and go insane and lose my family, I get to live for another 50-60 years completely alone and w/o my kids or wife, and my kids will be hurt and traumatized by the experience and carry that with them into their adult lives and repeat the cycle,.. haha.

So you're saying the forever alone, never leave mom's basement crowd are the lucky ones?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I am so freaking scared because a big lizard is stomping around down town los angeles and not because global warming and the collapse of late-stage capitalism in the west is going to cause me to lose my job whilst millions of middle-eastern refugees swarm europe, effectively destroying every welfare state between here and turkey and ruining my children's ability to live a life that is even half as safe and comfortable as the one that I've known.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

So you're saying the forever alone, never leave mom's basement crowd are the lucky ones?

The lucky ones are the dudes and dudettes who get hatcheted while they're young and having hot steamy sex in a bath tub.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Who the gently caress needs to watch a scary movie with a japanese teenage girl in a night gown to feel fear, when there's a real and non-zero chance that some day I will be in a public place with my wife and kids and get into a fight trying to defend them from 2-4 drunkards who singled us out out of boredom and I will get stabbed and beaten whilst one of them holds my wife and my kids look on and nobody does anything due to the bystander effect and for like half a year after my youngest kid won't even dare to leave the house or sleep in her own bed.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And that kid's name was Batman

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

I am so freaking scared because a big lizard is stomping around down town los angeles and not because global warming and the collapse of late-stage capitalism in the west is going to cause me to lose my job whilst millions of middle-eastern refugees swarm europe, effectively destroying every welfare state between here and turkey and ruining my children's ability to live a life that is even half as safe and comfortable as the one that I've known.

Global warming is as fictional as giant lizards and boogie men FYI. :smug:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

fyi Cabin in the Woods was mostly a comedy you fuckin rear end holes and it was funny + good-ish, even if it was made by joss wedon

Who the gently caress needs to watch a scary movie with a japanese teenage girl in a night gown to feel fear, when there's a real and non-zero chance that some day I will be in a public place with my wife and kids and get into a fight trying to defend them from 2-4 drunkards who singled us out out of boredom and I will get stabbed and beaten whilst one of them holds my wife and my kids look on and nobody does anything due to the bystander effect and for like half a year after my youngest kid won't even dare to leave the house or sleep in her own bed.

Some of us don't live in the USA, or the Middle-East. Or South America.

Or Asia.

Or Africa.

Or Europe.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

There was some horror movie a while back, The Strangers or some such, that purported to be based on a true story. The gimmick was that these masked teenagers broke into a cabin and presumably visited all sorts of mental and physical violence upon the female occupant. When asked why they did it, they said "because you were at home".

poo poo like that actually happens. While most violence follows a planning continuum against a targeted person, there's times when, for no reason at all, a person or group of people decide "let's hurt / rape / kill this complete stranger". And that poo poo legit terrifies me. Part of what I do for a living is threat assessment. That guy that threatened to shoot the HR rep who fired him, how likely is he to do it? Was he blowing off steam or is he loading the gun as we speak? And there are numbers you can crunch, factors you can account for that are reasonably reliable... But not always. Because sometimes, for seemingly no reason at all... "We did it because you were home."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think you can be scared of that happening in real life and also find movies like that to be silly, which that movie most certainly was. It was full of that thing that really annoys me in horror movies where people wear masks where they just tilt their heads with their masks and it's supposed to be so spooky. They did a ton of that in the second/third purge movies too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the strangers is very very very very very loosely based on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keddie_murders

the thing and alien are scary as hell and neither of them could possibly happen. are the only scary movies jaws and ones about serial killers?

firebeats
May 8, 2016

Applewhite posted:

Much less one that released the monsters into the facility? When would that ever be useful or desirable?

All the nightmare creatures in the world and the only safeguard is a flip cap over a switch and a big, red candy-like button. No key (or, better yet, dual key) safeguards or anything.

It's a wonder it took the SCP Foundation that long to get wiped out if they were that sloppy with security.

you should go ask SMG in this thread, OP

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

the strangers is very very very very very loosely based on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keddie_murders

the thing and alien are scary as hell and neither of them could possibly happen. are the only scary movies jaws and ones about serial killers?

No my point was not that "only real horror movies with killers and sharks that can happen in real life are scary" it's that scary movies in general are not and can never be as scary as just being a responsible adult.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm just glad nobody is saying Babadook is the best horror movie of the millenium like tons of people were when it first came out. That is one of the most unpleasant experiences (and not because it was scary) in recent memory for me from a horror movie.

Oh my god, agreed. I bet it really resonates with post pardum depression moms or something but I kinda wanted every main character in that film to die

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i'm about to purge my bowels all over this thread

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No my point was not that "only real horror movies with killers and sharks that can happen in real life are scary" it's that scary movies in general are not and can never be as scary as just being a responsible adult.

idk I feel like being an adult is pretty easy

just don't have kids :shrug:

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Did they ever explain why "Upstairs" rerouted the tunnel collapse power?

They just meant it was re-routed by someone not below - (the pothead/fool guy on the ground level)

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Moridin920 posted:

idk I feel like being an adult is pretty easy

just don't have kids :shrug:

It's actually pretty easy with kids, too. The trick is not wasting time worrying about anything that isn't actually happening to you at the moment.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Oh my god, agreed. I bet it really resonates with post pardum depression moms or something but I kinda wanted every main character in that film to die

Oh god i think im gonna kill my child: the movie. What a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Kid's lucky he had a pretty loving mom. If I was his single dad he would have ended up in a shallow grave 30 minutes into the movie.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I purged.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shakill OReal posted:

Where the movie really messed up was how the pothead chose to not die to save the world, since usually stoners are all depressed and suicidal from addiction.

Stoners are also libertarians so a dork with a bong who refuses to sacrifice him for the total good totally makes sense

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Like tbh the stoner dude lived like 30 minutes longer than he would have if he sacrificed himself and it only cost the human race a thousand years of darkness and despair. Rational actors indeed :smug:

firebeats
May 8, 2016

Business Gorillas posted:

Like tbh the stoner dude lived like 30 minutes longer than he would have if he sacrificed himself and it only cost the human race a thousand years of darkness and despair. Rational actors indeed :smug:

SMG alt account spotted

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why didnt they just drop a nuke on the giant "old gods" :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Slither is the best 21st century horror movie ya bunch of dinguses. Also it was funnier than Cabin in the Woods, and used the best part of Joss Whedon-dom, which is Nathan Filion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
gently caress off with your bullshit

• Locked thread