Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Some say the end is near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The Earth has gone through more extreme climatic events and life survived and thrived afterwards.

Why is everyone so worked up about a measly 2C ?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

Some say the end is near.

Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Decebal posted:

The Earth has gone through more extreme climatic events and life survived and thrived afterwards.

life will absolutely survive

civilisation, not so much

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hope they all have flood insurance

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

End Of Worlds posted:

I'm glad of it

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

End Of Worlds posted:

I'm sure that we, in the first world, will be able to weather the storm quite well.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Accretionist posted:

A lot of areas of south louisiana are deemed "not a flood zone" therefore flood insurance is optional. A lot of people are hosed.

My girlfriend went home to Gonzales for her friend's bridal shower this weekend. The shower was cancelled, her car is hosed, and her family has been going from friend's house to friend's house trying to escape the rising water. Classes started for her yesterday but she has no way of actually getting back to school or work. It's a super lovely situation to be in if you're down there.

I've also seen multiple friends on facebook posting "SOMEONE PLEASE SEND A BOAT TO X ADDRESS. WE ARE STUCK." It's scary.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

nah this is basically a once in a century flood event and flood insurance is only absolutely required for areas that see floods more often

I know a guy who let his flood policy lapse earlier this year because he wasnt actually required to have it, he lost everything. owned by climate change

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
20k+ have already been rescued from flooded areas, 10k+ in shelters, thousands more are still stuck in flooded houses or otherwise stranded

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
A couple guys zipping around a commercial district:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZSXGin-zNA

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 16, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

If you're happy with it taking millions of years for new life to evolve out of algae and squids, then sure, no problem.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uCD0sTMo1I

This really sums the whole thing up right here

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/claytoncubitt/status/765357574153789440

https://twitter.com/reuterspictures/status/765304067874775040

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well that's not what I expected when I heard about the dead rising.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well that's not what I expected when I heard about the dead rising.

When there's no more room in Hell too much water in the ground, the dead will walk the earth have their coffins float like overly expensive buoys.

What a mess.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure those coffins aren't airtight, so now it's a biohazard situation of a different sort.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Crypts were popular in flood areas to prevent this sort of thing.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think thatse the Olympics op

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I'm now convinced I need to start hoarding food and water. This winter is going to be an absolute loving nightmare.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
yeah that coffin stuff happened in Katrina too, it's not good to bury someone in ground where the water table is literally an inch below the surface but not everyone can afford a mausoleum so :/

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Accretionist posted:

Probably to kill floating balls of fire ants.

http://i.imgur.com/vluBppk.gifv

You do not gently caress with fire ant balls.

:3: They're shaped like America!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

this is what we call a hillybilly canoe

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

lmao

even in death i still surf

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

bradzilla posted:

Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will.

I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

microwave's mom knocked off her throne :eyepop:

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm now convinced I need to start hoarding food and water. This winter is going to be an absolute loving nightmare.

heh crazy prepper you're crazy you know!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

When there's no more room in Hell too much water in the ground, the dead will walk the earth have their coffins float like overly expensive buoys.

What a mess.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure those coffins aren't airtight, so now it's a biohazard situation of a different sort.

in flooding conditions the assumption is always that the water is basically toxic waste since sewers are one of the first things to start backing up and toilets are everywhere

during katrina there were a lotta guys gettin dickhole infections from wading in it

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

during katrina there were a lotta guys gettin dickhole infections from wading in it

Bwuuuuuuh!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Dreddout posted:

I'd say more of a Cyprus.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in flooding conditions the assumption is always that the water is basically toxic waste since sewers are one of the first things to start backing up and toilets are everywhere

Lesson for today: you live in a flood area, buy a scuba suit as it's a good investment.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

god bless

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uCD0sTMo1I

This really sums the whole thing up right here

lmao

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah waders are really necessary and thousands have been forced to wade in it without them, but you inevitably see a few dumbasses who didn't get flooded posting pictures of them swimming in the flood water to be funny. when you see manhole covers blown off and water spewing from the sewer into the street maybe stay out of that water if you can help it, or get a brain infection while swimming in it for no reason whatever no skin off my sack

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I wish it would rain some here. I'm in Oregon, it is 10:30 in the morning and already hotter than balls.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/CajunNavy?src=hash

people have whipped their boats out from the start but have been trying to get into Livingston parish which has been totally cut off from Baton Rouge by road for a while, authorities have been turning back people trying to get in with boats due to rumors of shots fired at other civilian boat rescuers who were flying through flooded neighborhoods creating big wakes so they're all just sort of covertly launching wherever they can to go pick people up from flooded homes lol

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

On a scale of one to pissing down the steps of the Superdome, where do we sit?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chief McHeath posted:

On a scale of one to pissing down the steps of the Superdome, where do we sit?
10k people peeing on Fantastic Four props.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
We barely got any rain here in New Orleans. The parts that flooded with Katrina are not the parts that's flooded now. People that don't care about Louisiana might not know that.

hth posted:

good.

Agreed. Finally Baton Rouge gets to have some of the fun. I hope it rains more.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 16, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dreddout posted:

Stay safe patriot ants :911:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cymoril posted:

Why do people live there?

Get this, they moved there because of Hurricane Katrina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston_Parish,_Louisiana

quote:

Hurricane Katrina had a dramatic effect on the population in Livingston Parish. Many displaced families of the affected Parishes have moved into the area and as a result, the population of the parish has increased significantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
I'm planning to be in New Orleans in the first week of September. Will the water be gone by then?

LOVE,
VITALIS

• Locked thread