Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have numerous pursuits, goons. However, I am not good enough at any of them for someone to pay me to do them. I want this to change but I can't decide where to start.

Pencils?

Food?

Computers?

Or even musical guitars?

There are so many choices, goons. Too many, it would seem. Please suggest choices. Except sucking dick, that suggestion is unhelpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

ok!

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

being funny if you are gonna keep posting here

no

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What pencils do you currently have?

I use Palmino Blackwing 602s

i have a bunch of them but i like the Staedtlers the best

ticonderogas are reliable but uninspiring
dixons are trash the lead breaks inside the pencil
cretacolors are better but they seem like they offer kind of a resistance to being used and you have to fight to get the lead to do stuff
general's are the same as that but worse and they also only have 3 softness levels no matter how many B's or H's they claim
faber-castells are impressive and i think i just like the color blue enough to give gold to the staedtlers theyre both top of their game

i like cracking open the little 6 case of staedtlers i still have and just huffing the scent

something about the smell of wood

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Turn your PURSUITS into a FURSUITS
:secondpost:

i would rather die in the martian dirt

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have watched all of the good eats and learned many useful tricks but my scrambled eggs still emerge inconsistently, and i have learned the pittsburgh rare steak is absolute trash

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I have some VIKING bonded lead hard #3's and I like them because I sketch hard and play hard :3

Mechanical for everything else except house- and framing-work.

Also if you're going to do colored pencils you are nuts if you're omitting Prismacolor.

:thirdpost:

i have a set of prismacolor colored pencils but i'm terrified to use them on anything because i drop poo poo a lot and i was warned that colored pencil lead is notoriously fragile

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer10 posted:

invest money on weed

how does this constitute self improvement

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's the document our government is based on

You said not to listen to him, why are you responding to him

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

That's what the sharpener is for. Don't be the OCD art supply freak who can't stand to use new pencils. Those pencils WANT to be nubs.

I know. I know. I am more of a collector than a maker and it's a constant, crushing disappointment. I have 7 guitars and 2 bad recordings of guitar playing. I have every adobe thing that is and an affordable Wacom tablet i made my avatar picture and one "intentionally bad" gunnerkrigg court fan comic. I could be sitting at a giant monitor in a computer lab at my college that I'm still attending at age 28 learning to use Maya instead of sitting in the nude at the desk where I masturbate. I've been trying to work through a set of programming tutorials for a C++ game making API since 2006. I get a third of the way through and stop. The last time I touched the stuff was near Christmas of last year. I am going nowhere and doing nothing and it makes me hate myself and if I can't find a way to stop hating myself I am resigned to the idea of eventually killing myself.

so i drew a bunch of nakedp eople with the pencils because that is what you are supposed to do to get good at pencils What should i draw now with the pencils Should I draw a massive stylized GBS I like that idea ima do that thanks goons

do you want to see the naked pencil people

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

Yes except I think you have to nws them because this isn't CC

ok ill actually draw some fresh ones because i was lying before about actually doing it

see you in 3 hours

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

OctoberBlues posted:

I've always wanted to look through old microfilm newspapers and find some weird story that is talked about a lot in the papers but no one has written a lot about after the fact and then immerse myself in that topic and write a book. You could try that.

This is an interesting suggestion, but I suppose I should clarify: I have dozens of tools and supplies meant to be used in some pursuit, and every one of them lies dusty and disused but never forgotten. Some metaphorically, some quite literally. I came to GBS seeking a reason beyond my own impotent self-motivation to act on anything at all. Preferably a stupid reason.

You should go do that, though. I can already imagine the kind of forgotten curiosities to be found in newspapers from the 50's alone.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
these were totally naked people you might just not be able to tell because theyre pencils now

these were timed naked pencil people drawings and you cannot discern the boobies and et cereal because i didnt make time for the boobies

should i get more better at pencils today goons or should i guitar or something instead

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

You should definitely work on your pencils some more, yeesh. Is that supposed to be gesture? More like boreture

what's wrong with them

what am i supposed to be doing in 30 seconds that im leaving out

loquacius posted:

Posting, OP. Can I vote "posting"? I'm writing in "posting" right under where I wrote in Goku and checking both boxes.

i thought we were GBS friends My posting is beautiful

psychokitty posted:

are those naked people jazzercising?

most of them are yeah kinda

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

gesture drawing's not really good for beginning drawing, when you start out you wanna do long poses exclusively, since you'll be able to do next to nothing in the short amount of time anyway

e: to qualify that when I was in school beginning poses were 2 1/2 to 5 hours, which gave us a lot of time to start over a few times and learn from mistakes.

whenever i try to do one thing for 2.5 hours i become overwhelmed by the paranoia that i should be doing other, potentially more constructive things and then i drop what im doing and go do nothing for 2.5 hours before i take any further action on anything

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Enjoy this brief animation of a torus flying by a cone that I made in an educational version of Maya so that it could render in the background while I worked on a drawing for a lengthy period and faces are hard this chick looks like a gargoyle instead of a naked people

the loving viewport renderer looks better than the drat packaged "High Quality" Arnold renderer and it doesn't put a big gay watermark all over your poo poo

making it a gif makes it awful either way though huh

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 17, 2016

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress this im gonna start over with a picture of an ugly person so I don't feel like i have failed when they end up ugly on the paper

does anyone have a high quality photograph of a high quality ugly person

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Prince of Space posted:

turn off your monitor

you think i'm high quality?

that's so sweet of you

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
i've made drawings that aren't bad in the past, it's just that was 2 or 3 years ago

i think i have one

yeah here's one of like 3 drawings i made that i dont hate now

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 17, 2016

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

doesn't matter dude, you're lacking in fundies (that's my abbreviation for "fundamentals," just letting you know ;) ) and basic ideas of how to approach drawing, and you'll have to work on that a lot .. normally I'd try to push you in the right direction but I'm hlaf awake so I will just leave a helpful picture instead.

I always like to say this : you don't get "good" at drawing, you just decrease the frequency of lovely drawings. you'll make something you'll be happy with once in a while, the goal is to learn the things that let you get those more often.

I like that way of describing it

i appreciate this post and also our friendship

we can talk more about pencils tomorrow!

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
With that horrible gargoyle woman I really was trying to draw the general shape of each feature instead of just what I'd imagine lips or some poo poo to look like. Sometimes I even unfocus my eyes so that I'm not seeing a mouth, I'm just seeing a dark patch against a light patch and I draw the shape of the dark patch. I think that I'm just not good enough at the pencils yet to be making a good face that's only an inch across and I should either use much larger paper or avoid non-headshot faces altogether until i've had more practice.

as you might have surmised i do not frequently encounter nude humans standing stock still, male or female. i should get back into the classes for this stuff at my college-soulprison but i don't want to bring undying shame onto myself with my heavily decayed skills

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still alive and sad! I don't get good at things during the days where I have to work because I'm too tired to do anything but prepare for more time at work on those days.

I drew an object goons should recognize. Not a full cleanup or complete render, and I know I need to take things to their absolute conclusion more often but at least I haven't put everything down and forgotten about it. The shame and guilt I have brought upon myself with this thread is inducing meager perseverance. For that I thank you all. Yay.

This is actually valuable. I have some near-forgotten college art training from before the electroconvulsive therapy, and if I want to continue it I need to warm everything back up.

I would like to get better at guitars for a while though, or maybe drums. I have some dusty drums. Everything in my house is dusty.

• Locked thread