Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The dungeon design remove me of the later majora's mask, with a lot of dungeons, number seven in particular, but the others are like this, relying on the player understanding the architecture of the place. Having a map isn't good enough, you really need to understand how the rooms fit together to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's strange, for a game that was originally a port of ALttP the dungeons are closer to the first LoZ. You have all these sidescrolling sub-rooms that take you across the map that it's real difficult to navigate. My question about the mask dungeon ended up getting published in Nintendo Power because I'm definitely not the only one who didn't get it. And the second dungeon requires you to know what the monsters are called, something I didn't so it's trial and error for the 9 or so combinations you have to beat that area.

The bosses are cool and the world design is great. It was my first Zelda game and even then I recognized how loving weird everything was.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

First off, thanks for the new thread. I was missing this in my life.

Link's Awakening was always weird and awesome at the same time. Chain chomp in Zelda? Sure, why not?

My first experience with it was trying to help a friend figure out where to go. Who knew that tapping walls with the sword and blowing up a different sounding wall like the game said would work?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
DId James get hit with that new dumb swearing thing Youtube did? No swearing in videos? What the rear end gently caress dick?

So p2 of Link's Awakening just wasn't showing up on my subscription list. Holy poo poo I'd love to watch them play Chrono Trigger over a whole year.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 5, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Chrono Trigger really isn't that long of a game. It's really only like 20 hours. It's one of the shorter of the SNES Square games.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

greatn posted:

Chrono Trigger really isn't that long of a game. It's really only like 20 hours. It's one of the shorter of the SNES Square games.

This blew my god drat mind when I realized this. For a game with a good amount of replay value, it felt like it was just as long as final fantasy 6. Which I put well over 40 hours into.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And half the game is side quests all blocked between the last major story event and the final boss. You could realistically best the game in probably 12 hours or so without even purposefully speedrunning it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
20 hours in half hour segments would take a while though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

20 hours in half hour segments would take a while though.

They wouldn't play in real time, just do highlights like they did with Link's Awakening. And Chrono Trigger isn't that much longer than LA unless you go for 100% first time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want to watch them play action RPG's, but not really turned based ones.

I feel they cut too much from this episode.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Shibawanko posted:

I want to watch them play action RPG's, but not really turned based ones.

I feel they cut too much from this episode.

Jame, Mike and Bootsy going to town on SNES Secret of Mana would be pretty fun if they just did the highlights.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, Mike is totally familiar with ST 25th Anniversary, an adventure game, and knows how those work, but is super pissed off that in Telltale Batman you just talk to people and Batman looks at stuff, and is not Arkham City.

What?

EDIT: Going back and watching the Telltale Batman vid, it seemed more that the dialog was just boring to them. Though I cannot forgive them splicing in Arkham game footage vs TT Batman becuase that's incredibly disingenuous because you don't post footage a game that is inherently slower paced and puzzle based and then say it sucks because it's not a completely different type of game.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 9, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is he familiar with the Star Trek PC game or the NES game which is more action oriented?

It just sounded to me like the game wasn't engaging for them and Mike said upfront he doesn't like QTEs so already they're off on a bad foot. It's 30 minutes before you actually have full control over Bruce then over halfway before you control Batman and it's just him slowly walking in a small location making small talk at the environment. They didn't feel like Batman and Arkham City was their idea of being Batman.

e: Oh they just uploaded the PC game a few hours ago.

Yeah, I think it's an expectations thing. Star Trek 25th is very evocative of Star Trek as a series and TT Batman didn't do that for them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 9, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked the academy game for the SNES. Rented it multiple times.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

al-azad posted:

Is he familiar with the Star Trek PC game or the NES game which is more action oriented?

It just sounded to me like the game wasn't engaging for them and Mike said upfront he doesn't like QTEs so already they're off on a bad foot. It's 30 minutes before you actually have full control over Bruce then over halfway before you control Batman and it's just him slowly walking in a small location making small talk at the environment. They didn't feel like Batman and Arkham City was their idea of being Batman.

I haven't played a lot of the Arkham games, but goddamn, they are pretty much 'ideal Batman'. :stare:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thing is, Telltale games aren't action games, and even if it's a Batman game, its still a telltale game so you shouldn't expect Arkham style action.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The only good Telltale games are the Homestar Runner ones.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jesus, Star Trek 25th is 25 years old can we turn back the clocks?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have to admit the Attack on Titan game looks kinda fun, but it looks like its novelty is short lived. I guess it's more for hard core fans.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I have to admit the Attack on Titan game looks kinda fun, but it looks like its novelty is short lived. I guess it's more for hard core fans.

You just described every Koei action game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I look forward to buying it for ten bucks in a steam sale in two years and playing it for four hours before never going back to it for no reason I can articulate.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

al-azad posted:

Jesus, Star Trek 25th is 25 years old can we turn back the clocks?

When I found out that Deep Space Nine was on Amazon Prime, I decided to give it a watch. I have to say that it is probably my favorite Star Trek series. The only character I really dislike is Leeta, and thats because she feels so useless to the show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My favorite too. I hate the loving nose ridges on the bajorans though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

al-azad posted:

You just described every Koei action game.

Yea that's the general consensus I've noticed. Though its kind of the reverse of a Dynasty Warriors game, where you fight against few guys rather than hoards of guys.

Pope Guilty posted:

I look forward to buying it for ten bucks in a steam sale in two years and playing it for four hours before never going back to it for no reason I can articulate.

Exactly, or seeing it at a dump bin at EB for less.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mike is an extremely stupid idiot and i don't mean that as an insult

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Really weird J&MM video this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neN_uouYF5I

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That was amazing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
God there was so much loving shovelware for the Wii, it was totally shameless. Imagine Party Babies? What?

I know this is :thejoke: but jesus...of all the consoles that have ever been made that you would choose to make portable for a car, the Wii has got to be the worst, no contest.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

timp posted:

God there was so much loving shovelware for the Wii, it was totally shameless. Imagine Party Babies? What?

I know this is :thejoke: but jesus...of all the consoles that have ever been made that you would choose to make portable for a car, the Wii has got to be the worst, no contest.

Party Babyz always reminds me of this gem:

greatn posted:

The dungeon design remove me of the later majora's mask, with a lot of dungeons, number seven in particular, but the others are like this, relying on the player understanding the architecture of the place. Having a map isn't good enough, you really need to understand how the rooms fit together to progress.

Yeah. Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are my 2 favorite Zelda games for many reasons, and dungeon design is one. Another good youtube channel, Game Maker's Toolkit, is focused on elements of game design, and the guy right now is running through every Zelda game and making videos about the dungeon design philosophy of each Zelda game. He also expands on how Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask's dungeons work that way.

Ok, so I guess he starts with A Link To The Past and doesn't do Zelda 1 or 2, but great watches all. The subseries is called Boss Keys
A Link To The Past

Link's Awakening

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

He's slowly getting to the others. The quality of these videos clowns over those lovely Sequelitis videos.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 12, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I saw someone at the airport playing Wii U. It was the console, AC adapter, and gamepad and that's all he needed to play Smash Bros.

It looked dumb as hell but if that's the concept behind the NX then I'll be satisfied.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

timp posted:

Yea. I remember the breif time a store i worked in sold video games and the Wii section had about 10 games that weren't just shovelwear or gimmicky crap. Thing is, they weren't even cheap, most were 40 or 50 bux.

Man I will never not love cheesy car crashes.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The old thread was merely closed, not gassed... Regardless, thank you for making a new one. Good work on the OP!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mike is like me, only remembers dumb stuff and nothing important like Math.

I'd like to see them take on the Lion King game, because according to Pushing Up Roses, that game is bullshit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's pretty dumb Mike thinks Aladdin has the sword taken out in the SNES version because of Nintendo censorship. They're two completely different games developed by two completely different companies. (And Capcom's level design, gameplay, and platforming is superior to Virgin's).

Also Aladdin never used a sword in the movie, it makes no sense!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

greatn posted:

It's pretty dumb Mike thinks Aladdin has the sword taken out in the SNES version because of Nintendo censorship. They're two completely different games developed by two completely different companies. (And Capcom's level design, gameplay, and platforming is superior to Virgin's).

Also Aladdin never used a sword in the movie, it makes no sense!

Plus the SNES final boss battle was better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always thought the SNES game was competent but boring. Capcom eventually one-upped it with Bonkers which combined Aladdin's deliberate pacing with Tiny Toon's graphics and flare.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd like to see them take on the Lion King game, because according to Pushing Up Roses, that game is bullshit.

I somehow beat this game at age 8, on hard, no cheats. I don't ever want to replay it because I'll embarrass myself.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

What's bad about the Lion King game? I thought it was pretty good, the second half was like a beat em up with hyenas and cheetahs.

They should try Mickey Mania next if they're going to do disney games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They made the monkey throwing puzzle really hard to solve so people could not beat it on a rental. Well guess what bitches I have Nintendo Power your poo poo is weak.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That wasn't really so hard I think, at least not on the SNES, you just have to roar at all of the pink monkeys. I think there's only one you're not supposed to roar at, but even then there weren't that many permutations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Level 2 but also the loving jungle level where you fight the giant ape are pretty tough. A lot of it is understanding how powerful your roar is. Watching Gamegrumps play it they kept trying to roll into the coconuts the ape throws or swipe at the 1 pixel bats and I'm screaming at the screen "JUST ROAR!"

I think the Genesis version is actually easier because of a wider field of view and simpler palette that makes objects stand out instead of blend in.