Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

greatn posted:

It's pretty dumb Mike thinks Aladdin has the sword taken out in the SNES version because of Nintendo censorship. They're two completely different games developed by two completely different companies. (And Capcom's level design, gameplay, and platforming is superior to Virgin's).

I actually had no idea until just now that they were not only developed by two different teams but had two different publishers. But what I did know was that the team that worked on the Genesis Aladdin was the same team that made Earthworm Jim, the platforming and animation even feels a lot similar between the two games. There was some little bit of trivia I remember from some gaming magazine that said that the name "Shiny Entertainment" actually came about from the fact that the team listened to Shiny Happy People by REM constantly during crunch time on Aladdin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shibawanko posted:

What's bad about the Lion King game? I thought it was pretty good, the second half was like a beat em up with hyenas and cheetahs.

They should try Mickey Mania next if they're going to do disney games.

It's not that its bad, its just BS, here's PURs review of both the SNES and Genesis version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgKLqXqH2Cg
She actually did Mickey Mania recently.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
MONSTER MADNESS X

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Holy loving poo poo!
That's amazing. I'm really looking forward to the WTF episodes

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

wa27 posted:

Really weird J&MM video this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neN_uouYF5I

It's the PSX!

Or whatever the hell it was called, I just remember some old forums argument that ended with the other guy e-mailing someone on Sony to confirm whatever or not it was called PSX.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 22, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I bet if James did a Kickstarter to fund Monster Madness he'd get enough money to make it worthwhile for life.

Demicol posted:

It's the PSX!

Or whatever the hell it was called, I just remember some old forums argument that ended with the other guy e-mailing someone on Sony to confirm whatever or not it was called PSX.

Long story short, PSX was going to be the American name right up to release and some magazines still used it after release. "PSone" is the official name of the mini.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

al-azad posted:

I bet if James did a Kickstarter to fund Monster Madness he'd get enough money to make it worthwhile for life.

Long story short, PSX was going to be the American name right up to release and some magazines still used it after release. "PSone" is the official name of the mini.

I'd support James if he got on Patreon so hard.

And I remember waaay back in time, people always refereed to the Playstation as a PSX, I never got that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

He's outright said it's an issue of content more than making it. He's just running low on movies he wants to talk about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

He's outright said it's an issue of content more than making it. He's just running low on movies he wants to talk about.

Well watch more movies, James! There's plenty of material to last another 10 years.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The time commitment is a huge part of it...in fact, I was also under the impression that was the main issue. Didn't he say that earlier this year? Maybe in this video?

http://cinemassacre.com/2016/06/15/monster-madness-10-announcement/

(sorry, can't watch for myself at the moment)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rewatching the old Monsters Madnesses, and I have to admit, the first Sequal-a-thon is by far my least favorite. MOst of the movies are pretty crummy, and its obvious James is really trying to find something, anything interesting to say about them.

I will maintain, Halloween is the worst long running Horror series, and Michael Meyers is the least interesting "guy with a mask and a sharp thing" horror icon.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

timp posted:

The time commitment is a huge part of it...in fact, I was also under the impression that was the main issue. Didn't he say that earlier this year? Maybe in this video?
Yeah. I believe he's at the point where he's need to start digging into more modern movies, which become less interesting to talk about once CGI becomes the go-to tool.

"Check out this scene in Jeepers Creepers 2 where this guy's head...uh... Digitally morphs into the creep??? Man, that must have taken like, three? Animators a, uh, lunch break to do..."

There's also the not easily solved fact that he can't really do a "Modern Horror" set and show clips from Don't Breathe or whatever without getting a shitload of heat from YouTube or Content Owners.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Has James and Mike Mondays ever done Luigi's Mansion? That would be great for October and it's a short enough game they could lay through it in a two parter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Shark Fatality was awesome.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting post to YouTube today from James and Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCaJwjkNNE

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huh, somehow I never noticed that gun before. Always cool to learn something new about a movie like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Eternal Champions is just crass. Games like that is why I always associated the megadrive with children from bad backgrounds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Eternal Champions is just crass. Games like that is why I always associated the megadrive with children from bad backgrounds.

You're just jealous because Mario Kart isn't as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sega has blood. Sega has boobs. Nintendo has a pink marshmallow man that sucks. Lame.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'll glady sacrifice uncouth blast processing for the wonders of the mushroom kingdom.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Wait, are you actually serious? Is this a serious post?

al-azad posted:

Sega has blood. Sega has boobs.

Remember that secret trick for Rings of Power where you could see a naked lady? :nws: http://imgur.com/EeQYJ4n :nws:

Never gonna see that on Nintendo! Or Streets of Rage, or ToeJam & Earl.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Naughty Dog knew what was up. Come for the bare naked boobs, stay for the badly optimized gameplay that belonged on PC.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Toejam and Earl loving sucks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Little Mac posted:

Yeah well Punch Out, the entire Mega Man franchise and Super Mario Bros. 3 suck, how about them apples.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah well Punch Out, the entire Mega Man franchise and Super Mario Bros. 3 suck, how about them apples.

You're welcome to your opinion, wrongo friend!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Toejam and Earl is a fun chill adventure with cool friends :)

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Little Mac posted:

One of the first graphical roguelikes. Ahead of it's time before the indie scene that we know even came to be.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Personally I'm just glad he didn't say Streets of Rage or I was gonna knife a guy, right after I eat this entire turkey I fished out of a stack of tires.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

Great soundtrack tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkvogwGDe3s&t=1724s

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Streets of Rage is great.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Personally I'm just glad he didn't say Streets of Rage or I was gonna knife a guy, right after I eat this entire turkey I fished out of a stack of tires.

There's a secret 1up in Streets of Rage 2 in the lower left corner at the very beginning of the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Little Mac posted:

I think I hate you now.:colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sega is terrible because they created Sonic Fandom, and that's just unforgivable.

I assume we're going to get a Monster Madness video today? Is it going to be on youtube or just on the site?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I hate you now.:colbert:

Not as much as I hate Toejam and Earl.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Wicker Man (1973) Monster Madness X movie review #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOdR2miM_QU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Oh poo poo that's a good movie.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
James is completely right that it's not a conventional horror movie though.

Wicker Man is all about the brilliant buildup and sense of unease that permeates the whole thing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

James's video store mini-set is so great, and it makes a perfect backdrop for Monster Madness and all the other movie review content he's been doing.

I do wish he would keep the Monster Madness stuff off Youtube so he could show footage from the films like he always used to. I'm sure MM wouldn't be worth doing if not for the extra exposure from Youtube, but it's still kind of lame to look at a bunch of still frames.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the still frames are fine, and classy. Makes it seem more academic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's weird how I watch tons of videos from Cinefix and Screen Rant and even loving Cinema Snob that use tons of real footage from movies, and James is afraid to use it? It's just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cinefix and Screen Rant work under representation from companies that have special arrangements with YouTube.