Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol if you think james knows how to play video games have you watched him play a video game before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he probably knew mike matei beat jekyl and hyde on stream years ago but why would he care he wasnt going to play it again unless he had to make another video

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know he plays his games on real hardware but I'd assume that James, not necessarily the nerd, would've at least looked this poo poo up online at some point.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

His only *genuine* interaction with the game was renting it as a kid and getting confused, frustrated and disappointed with it (perfectly understandable), then using that memory as inspiration to make entertainment videos; there's no need to look any further than that.

Nevertheless, it was fun finally learning how the game actually worked and what it expected you to do, good episode.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Petiso posted:

Nevertheless, it was fun finally learning how the game actually worked and what it expected you to do, good episode.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of this for AVGN proper.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol if you think james knows how to play video games have you watched him play a video game before

yeah, James is a really nice dude but goodness he's so bad at games...

Sorta like how Arino from GCCX is extremely charming and stubborn, but so bad at video games....

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
New AVGN good.

This year's Monster Madness is pretty bad. Pretty clear he didn't write most of the stuff since he didn't watch most of the shows highlighted.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know he plays his games on real hardware but I'd assume that James, not necessarily the nerd, would've at least looked this poo poo up online at some point.

You can see how real James viewed Dr Jekyll and Hyde on the James and Mike play in 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja6R9cN2Tzg

Both were utterly confused the whole time. And James was just as ragey as AVGN. This might be funnier than any Dr Jekyll and Hyde AVGN episode. I miss these. Last episode was real good too though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yewh, I know, but you know how in many AVGN videos, he'll hit a wall, and say "APPARENTLY, you're supposed to...." and then he'll pull up some tip on how to get further... And then "how the hell is anyone supposed to know that? What were they thinking?!". That literally happened with Simon's Quest.

That's what confuses me. He's now probably covered Jekyll and Hyde MORE than Simon's Quest, and only now, did this fairly essential gameplay aspect rear its head.

I think, like most of us ITT, I've seen every episode multiple times; he DOES usually look poo poo up or whatever when it comes to just impossible game mechanics. It's weird that he didn't, or if he did just didn't mention it all these years now. No one else finds this weird? Just me? :shrug:

Full disclosure, this last episode was so good, that overall I'm glad it's happened this way, no matter how weird I find it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I think in the Nerd canon, he only last played it like ten years ago. You really can't judge his actual knowledge of the game based on how he reveals info in an avgn video. I'm sure Mike explained it all to him ages ago, but the premise of the last Jekyl and Hyde video was that the nerd was getting drunker and drunker as the game tortured him, so it probably didn't make sense to show him making meaningful progress or explaining useful game mechanics in it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I only have vague memories of playing that game as a kid and all I remember was that I had no idea what the gently caress to do or what was happening. Not even Simon's Quest confused me that much.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Yewh, I know, but you know how in many AVGN videos, he'll hit a wall, and say "APPARENTLY, you're supposed to...." and then he'll pull up some tip on how to get further... And then "how the hell is anyone supposed to know that? What were they thinking?!". That literally happened with Simon's Quest.

That's what confuses me. He's now probably covered Jekyll and Hyde MORE than Simon's Quest, and only now, did this fairly essential gameplay aspect rear its head.

I think, like most of us ITT, I've seen every episode multiple times; he DOES usually look poo poo up or whatever when it comes to just impossible game mechanics. It's weird that he didn't, or if he did just didn't mention it all these years now. No one else finds this weird? Just me? :shrug:

Full disclosure, this last episode was so good, that overall I'm glad it's happened this way, no matter how weird I find it.

I don't think it changes too much. Knowing to go in doors. Mike was going in doors here at 47 minutes beating the game for the first time and it still looked near impossible. As much as he played it before, someone in chat had to tell him about the doors too. He said he forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPB_qqalf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YGv3aAPK9Y

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Billy Pones

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My biggest memory of DJHyde is that it was always on sale for under a dollar at FuncoLand. Nobody wanted to touch that stove even in 1992.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

I only have vague memories of playing that game as a kid and all I remember was that I had no idea what the gently caress to do or what was happening. Not even Simon's Quest confused me that much.
With games from that era, you're battling poor localizations (either due to budget or lack of good raw translations), the limits of the cart space, and the need to slow the player down so that their $50 game isn't done in 20 minutes.

You also had the emergence of the rental market creating additional pressures to inject difficulty into games to make them "worth it".

Sometimes the information you need is in the manual. Most times, if it was I possible to figure out on your own, you needed Nintendo Power or a call to the Tip Line.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone ever play a game from back then (I'd say mid to late 80s, at the latest), and even though it's not some arcade game like Pac Man, you wonder if it actually has an ending? Like, game design nowadays (and for the past 3 decades) has evolved so much, but I feel like there are some commercially-released games back then where the developers just didn't give a poo poo, or couldn't quite complete their title.

It's easy-pickin's, but the majority of the titles in Action 52 feel like this to me. Like does Cheetamen really have an actual ending?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

most of the games in action 52 arent finished and just crash after a certain level or dont load at all cheetahman is one of those that crashes after a certain level

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

most of the games in action 52 arent finished and just crash after a certain level or dont load at all cheetahman is one of those that crashes after a certain level

Jfc. That's insane. I don't remember them being that bad. I should rewatch that episode.

Any non-Action-52 titles just have no ending?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's easy-pickin's, but the majority of the titles in Action 52 feel like this to me. Like does Cheetamen really have an actual ending?

Well, it crashes/sends you back to the title screen, which is technically an ending :v:

Ooze was supposed to have a real ending, not that the game functioned well enough to actually have said ending screen appear, but it's a thing in the game files:

The "PeRsOnAl CoDe" is nothing of the sort, by the way.

Jfc. That's insane. I don't remember them being that bad. I should rewatch that episode.

Any non-Action-52 titles just have no ending?
Xevious has no ending, and is also completely seamless with its approach. It just goes on forever...

Elevator Action doesn't have an ending either.

But then you get Elevator Action: Really Good Edition (not its actual name of course) for the Game Boy which actually does have an ending! Then it unceremoniously boots you straight into SCENE 2-1 (a "second quest" sort of deal) and you do it all over again, except with more mooks out to ruin your day get crushed by heavy machinery.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I remember being very confused playing Tiger Heli for NES because it loops forever and apparently has no ending. I thought I must have done something wrong or had major deja vu, but nope, the game is just designed that way.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wrong thread lol

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Forbidden episode 32 finally debuts on youtube

https://youtu.be/tvdIQFoaSr4?si=zx86w6qmYjAGqTjw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I feel like I've seen it before. Did it used to be on youtube?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Yeah it (the original uncensored one) was available waaaaaaaay back in the day. It was also on GameTrailers before then.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 22, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it like comedy censorship where the entire screen is blurred? That'd be really funny.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's definitely creative!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jimbot posted:

Is it like comedy censorship where the entire screen is blurred? That'd be really funny.

Do you have fond memories of the bonkers TV censorship dubbing that movies faced? This episode is that cranked to 11

I loving fudging loved it

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Do you have fond memories of the bonkers TV censorship dubbing that movies faced? This episode is that cranked to 11

I loving fudging loved it

Yippie ki yay, Mister Falcon

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I didn't have time to watch it early but now that I did it was incredible. Really made me laugh.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I know I've seen the original version before and i would have sworn it was on youtube around 2018 or so but i might be misremembering.

This version might as well be a new video though afaic

titties fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 22, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

titties posted:

I know I've seen the original version before and i would have sworn it was on youtube around 2018 or so but i might be misremembering.

This version might as well be a new video though afaic

Oh my god, this is incredible.

"This is just a shoelace of fog." :golfclap:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Holy poo poo that was incredible.

"I like to call it--"
"Never mind what I call it"

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I finally got convinced to watch the 4 hour hbomberguy plagiarism video and was surprised AVGN comes up. But of course it did; I'd forgotten about that fiasco.

Time stamped if you're curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp3cB5fHXQ&t=1679s

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Yeah, it's funny, I never had much of an issue with a company helping James with his videos - I feel like that has to be the norm now, especially since many of the people who were making their own stuff in, like, 2006 have since started families or gotten hectic jobs or whatever. You can argue that it cynically reduces the output of a laid-back, entertaining, likeable guy like James Rolfe to a bland money-making venture, but I think good producers can still produce a decent-quality product despite that. There are countless mainstream studio films that are enjoyable and/or meaningful, for instance. It's just that Screenwave seem extremely incompetent (the Monster Madness plagiarism being the peak of it), and the people they forced in to pick up the on-screen workload were almost completely devoid of charisma. It does seem to have gotten better to an extent.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they eventually learned no one wants to see them in a video because they are off putting and have no chemistry when james and stopped appearing in them

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, it's funny, I never had much of an issue with a company helping James with his videos - I feel like that has to be the norm now, especially since many of the people who were making their own stuff in, like, 2006 have since started families or gotten hectic jobs or whatever. You can argue that it cynically reduces the output of a laid-back, entertaining, likeable guy like James Rolfe to a bland money-making venture, but I think good producers can still produce a decent-quality product despite that. There are countless mainstream studio films that are enjoyable and/or meaningful, for instance. It's just that Screenwave seem extremely incompetent (the Monster Madness plagiarism being the peak of it), and the people they forced in to pick up the on-screen workload were almost completely devoid of charisma. It does seem to have gotten better to an extent.

Getting help with something like editing or filming or lighting or social media management is all totally fine, I agree. You're just paying someone to do something that you could do, but don't have the time to anymore. Even delegating directing duties seems alright.

Getting someone to write or act in your stead, however, just seems like now you have a completely different product than before. The appeal of the Nerd isn't seeing James in his costume on the screen, it's hearing exactly what he has to say about each topic. Getting someone else to ghostwrite scripts was icky, and I'm very glad that he seems to be back at the helm as the writer for AVGN episodes again.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

timp posted:

Getting help with something like editing or filming or lighting or social media management is all totally fine, I agree. You're just paying someone to do something that you could do, but don't have the time to anymore. Even delegating directing duties seems alright.

Getting someone to write or act in your stead, however, just seems like now you have a completely different product than before. The appeal of the Nerd isn't seeing James in his costume on the screen, it's hearing exactly what he has to say about each topic. Getting someone else to ghostwrite scripts was icky, and I'm very glad that he seems to be back at the helm as the writer for AVGN episodes again.

I don’t think it’s wrong to get writers, I think you need to get the right people. And James got the wrong people. They turned Cinemassacre into a corporate affair, and they were these random people who didn’t seem to match at all.

AVGN is a character, and a good writer can work with James to capture that voice.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

As you said, AVGN is a character, it's fine having a different writer do the script as long as they do a good job. The controversy wasn't about the AVGN, though, it was related to the Monster Madness! revival. That segment was never in-character, it's always been James giving his own opinions on films he's passionate about, so it was a double-hit when it was revealed other people were writing the scripts for that and those were plagiarised to boot.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Petiso posted:

As you said, AVGN is a character, it's fine having a different writer do the script as long as they do a good job. The controversy wasn't about the AVGN, though, it was related to the Monster Madness! revival. That segment was never in-character, it's always been James giving his own opinions on films he's passionate about, so it was a double-hit when it was revealed other people were writing the scripts for that and those were plagiarised to boot.

That's fair. The sad thing is that I thought the "horror films from around the world" theme had legs so long as James was up for it, and instead, this is what we got. :(

One thing I didn't know that was in that hbomberguy video was the same guy also plagiarised jokes for a "roast of AVGN" video. I'd never heard of or seen that before but it looked absolutely godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

timp posted:

Yeah, this was a big problem for that long period, especially exacerbated for the infamous Monster Madness "scandal" because it was explicitly advertised as a return to form and the presumption it would be his own passionate views on the horror movies he watched himself. Personally I didn't bother watching that particular run after the plagiarism came out, but seeing that video posted above, it's unclear if he even watched those films at all.

Like even if they didn't plagiarize, I don't care to hear random Screenwave guy's takes on these films, it was James' own personal takes as a horror buff and creator that made his classic MM videos good.