Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I also forgot the most egregious part of it, which was the guy choosing to steal from a Film Comment piece of all things in the very first entry. Film Comment, a journal with a distinctly academic slant. Now, don't get me wrong, I often really enjoy reading academic analyses of films, but I definitely don't go to James Rolfe for that sort of thing. Fun observations from a passionate fan who clearly knows his stuff, yes, academic analysis, no. What was the guy thinking, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It all really just reminds you of 9/11.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

James not having a problem reading poo poo that he didn’t write, and doesn’t remotely sound like him was kind of the last straw for me. Especially for a series that wasn’t in character, and seemed like something he actually was passionate about. I get that he’s burnt out on all of this but turning it into the laziest content mill possible seems like its own kind of hell.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Listen, he has kids now. He has no time.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Listen, he has kids now. He has no time.

He just put up a Godzilla Minus One review that basically embodies what people like about his sincere reviews and the old MM videos. The man loves Godzilla and it shows--I'm more enthused to check it out because of his take.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think James Rolfe is just kind of an idiot and his whole Cinemassacre style is predicated on not putting much effort into things. It seemed like his biggest passion, last I checked, was Rex Viper. And Rex Viper sucks. Cover songs with lyrics about video games went out of style like, almost 20 years ago. It's all very dadly of him.

At least he's not rapping about being a pirate.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

his biggest passion is movies and making movies and he has no real interest in video games or talking about video games despite the avgn character unless he grew up playing those games but the avgn makes money to support his family so he keeps doing it even if he has no passion for it

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's almost like his life would improve if we stopped watching. Then he would have to find another source of income that he enjoys.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I think James Rolfe is just kind of an idiot and his whole Cinemassacre style is predicated on not putting much effort into things. It seemed like his biggest passion, last I checked, was Rex Viper. And Rex Viper sucks. Cover songs with lyrics about video games went out of style like, almost 20 years ago. It's all very dadly of him.

At least he's not rapping about being a pirate.

If you watch his video about the making of an avgn video you'll see that there is a tremendous and unnecessary amount of effort put into things

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

See the 20+ dvds he had for Majoras Mask, or him getting increasingly frustrated every fail take he had with the scene where he's tied because he didn't want anyone else in the room with him because of covid.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The extremely simple solution is to fire Screenwave, switch to Patreon, bring Mike back, and stop being a slave to the Youtube algorithm. Make a bunch of low-effort unscripted content with a new AVGN once per quarter rather than monthly. Any lost ad revenue would easily be made up by Patreon subs. Not to mention not having to pay Screenwave. It would require less work on James' part and result in better content.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
What has given James legs for so many years is the sincerity. He seems like a nice, if a little awkward guy out of character - getting rid of the sincerity is a mistake. I get him wanting to outsource some of his workload, especially as his priorites change, but Screenwave wasn't a good choice. He should be a bit more assertive - remember that he's the face of the brand. It seems like the book suffered the same fate as the movie, some interesting ideas, but needed the right editors to keep James grounded and focused on what worked, and what doesn't.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I wouldn't be surprised if the movie was the big reason why he just threw up his hands and hired Screenwave to begin with really. You've got this guy who's made a funny Internet character but really he loves old horror movies. He gets the chance to make his own movie on the back of his unexpected success, but unfortunately (like most Internet comedy personas) the source material doesn't lend itself to a feature-length thing at all, and that comes crashing down pretty hard if your big ambition was to make films.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Lay off James, he's been severely traumatized by the lovely games that suck rear end.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie was the big reason why he just threw up his hands and hired Screenwave to begin with really. You've got this guy who's made a funny Internet character but really he loves old horror movies. He gets the chance to make his own movie on the back of his unexpected success, but unfortunately (like most Internet comedy personas) the source material doesn't lend itself to a feature-length thing at all, and that comes crashing down pretty hard if your big ambition was to make films.
I’m sure the movie really killed a lot of his drive. He spent far too much money on it, and then it didn’t do that well. Maybe he thought it would help him move on the bigger and better things. Instead he’s trapped in a situation where he doesn’t have any other work experience, and is stuck doing something he no longer cares about. Should have been clear to him long before the Monster Madness debacle that working with Screenwave wasn’t working out. I couldn’t stand Mike but those guys make him look normal.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

His videos have definitely improved after that plagiarism poo poo. The last few AVGNs have all been really solid. I think that was the wake up call that he needed to see that handing off all the responsibilities was hurting him.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

wa27 posted:

The extremely simple solution is to fire Screenwave, switch to Patreon, bring Mike back, and stop being a slave to the Youtube algorithm. Make a bunch of low-effort unscripted content with a new AVGN once per quarter rather than monthly. Any lost ad revenue would easily be made up by Patreon subs. Not to mention not having to pay Screenwave. It would require less work on James' part and result in better content.

Does James even know about Patreon? He kinda gives off the vibe that he's not familiar with anything internet related that's newer than 20 years old.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
Has Screenwave had as much of a noticable effect on the other channels they work with? Or any noticable effect? It just seems like James is the only thing they are VERY well known for being associated with.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I haven't watched any Nerd videos in a hot minute. I was browsing last night and watched the Earthworm Jim video. It felt true to form, and I'm glad he has embraced his receding hair line.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I don't know if anyone else here follows Displaced Gamers, but his latest video had a breakdown of some of the bullshit of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that crosses over with the recurring AVGN target/tormenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkl3Av55Yaw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Explosionface posted:

I don't know if anyone else here follows Displaced Gamers, but his latest video had a breakdown of some of the bullshit of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that crosses over with the recurring AVGN target/tormenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkl3Av55Yaw

this channel is a proclick

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

:hai:

Another terrible game reworked.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Yeah, most of the channels I subscribe to, I get to videos as I queue them up. DG is always an immediate watch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd really love if he'd tackle either Friday the 13th, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or both.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I watched this and lol that this game uses a literal single pixel for platform collision detection.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Final Fantasy 6 (SNES) - Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8txDyH9ug0

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF6 is a contender for my most disliked game in the main series, pretty much nothing about it connects with me, but its nice to see James have such a positive time again. I kinda wish he would do videos on games he really likes more often.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 23, 2023

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah that was a great watch (as someone who loves final fantasy games)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

FF6 is a contender for my most disliked game in the main series, pretty much nothing about it connects with me, but its nice to see James have such a positive time again. I kinda wish he would do videos on games he really likes more often.

After thinking about this, I think the whole FFXIII-complex of games would take that spot for me. I'm just so not interested, I'd rather play FFX, despite weird laughing and all. Hell, I'd probably rather play FFXI than any of the XIII-games. (Also now you know my top three of most disliked FF-games! :v: )

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

God it was FF II that would lose my brother's and my saves regularly... something was loose in the cart. We did eventually just leave it in the SNES until we both beat it lol.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

God it was FF II that would lose my brother's and my saves regularly... something was loose in the cart. We did eventually just leave it in the SNES until we both beat it lol.

Could be the battery was loose. I remember one of my Gameboy-games suddenly losing saves, but by then I already knew you could just crack those old cartridges open, replace the tiny battery, and glue the hull back together without issues.

And wow, you were lucky. I once tried to finish the Ancient Cave in Lufia II in one go, and after 7+ hours of overnight playing (only to fail when the boss in lvl. 99 booted me back after three turns :v: ) and got the beating of my lifetime when my mom woke up from my angry screaming and realized I had spent an entire school night playing video games

If I had tried just letting the SNES run until finished, I probably wouldn't have survived into adulthood.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

That was a fantastic, heartfelt video for one of the best games ever made. He did a great job of encapsulating why FF6 is so special in both an academic and down to earth, relatable way. It was reminiscent of the classic Castlevania episodes. I hope he does more stuff like this in the future.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I first came to them long after the fact, so I've never been quite so high on FF6 and Chrono Trigger as most people, but it was an enjoyable episode!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I saw that the episode was FF6 and my immediate reaction was "That motherfucker better tread VERY carefully!" And yeah, he did great. The really funny part is how I was listening to the soundtrack just earlier this week.

My only experience losing a game save was the original Zelda. I got all the way to Ganon, fought him twice, and then the next time I turned the game on, poof. All gone. The weirdest part is that it was my friend's copy and he had the exact same thing happen.

Fun addendum: the only reason he doesn't have a gold cart is that they had to send it off to Nintendo for some sort of warranty claim (I don't remember the details, but the original copy hosed itself somehow) and they sent back a gray cart instead of a gold one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I first came to them long after the fact, so I've never been quite so high on FF6 and Chrono Trigger as most people, but it was an enjoyable episode!

Seconded. Like they still don't just enrapture me like they do other folks, but when I see videos like this I get why they do it for other folks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Explosionface posted:

I saw that the episode was FF6 and my immediate reaction was "That motherfucker better tread VERY carefully!" And yeah, he did great. The really funny part is how I was listening to the soundtrack just earlier this week.

My only experience losing a game save was the original Zelda. I got all the way to Ganon, fought him twice, and then the next time I turned the game on, poof. All gone. The weirdest part is that it was my friend's copy and he had the exact same thing happen.

Fun addendum: the only reason he doesn't have a gold cart is that they had to send it off to Nintendo for some sort of warranty claim (I don't remember the details, but the original copy hosed itself somehow) and they sent back a gray cart instead of a gold one.

Iirc, the grey cart is actually more rare. At least that seems to be the case with Zelda 2.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Iirc, the grey cart is actually more rare. At least that seems to be the case with Zelda 2.
I've told this story a few times in random places online hoping to find more, and searching I've found two other people with a similar experience...

My gold Zelda 2 cart has some bug on it where the hammer item just would not spawn. Spent years stuck in this game, and kids at school thought we were morons for not being able to find it.

Zelda 1 had the trick where if you registered your name as "ZELDA", it would immediately skip you to the second quest. My brother and I reasoned there might be some sort of similar skip in Zelda 2, so we tried whatever character names we could think of, but nothing worked.

For some reason my brother kept playing through a game we registered as "IMPA". And blowing our minds ... the hammer spawned in Death Mountain!!!!! We were finally able to finish the loving thing.

Some further experimenting showed that just starting a game with the letter i in front worked, so games titled IMARK and IPETER were fine.

I don't know that anyone else ever stumbled across that prefix fix, but could see a few others had the defective carts with no hammer.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrQTjU5CwUs

New Neighbor Nerds Video. This time, the AVGN forces his neighbor to play Super Mario World.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The horror. The horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Goonies 1 & 2 - Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlJKhutYvI